• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

params7

Banned
After playing a bit of SP and a lot of MP..I'm convinced.

This game is bearing the brunt for the general frustration of overstaturation for military shooters. Pro-reviewers are taking a dump on this game since they really can't with CoD and BF.

Sad really, but I think people will keep playing this long after Blops2 hype wears down. Hopefully it keeps getting good support from Danger Close.

SRTtoZ

This game is bearing the brunt for the general frustration of overstaturation for military shooters. Pro-reviewers are taking a dump on this game since they really can't with CoD and BF.

Sad really, but I think people will keep playing this long after Blops2 hype wears down. Hopefully it keeps getting good support from Danger Close.

Bingo. This game is no different than your BF3's and CoD's.

Cudder

Bingo. This game is no different than your BF3's and CoD's.
You guys are wrong. There is shit fundamentally wrong with the game. Glitches that hamper progress, gameplay, and fun. Battlefield and CoD have their share of problems, but they are MUCH more polished and refined than this.

DTKT

You guys are wrong. There is shit fundamentally wrong with the game. Glitches that hamper progress, gameplay, and fun. Battlefield and CoD have their share of problems, but they are MUCH more polished and refined than this.

I think that's key. The core ideas in Warfighter are not bad. They are just badly executed and the game is just unfinished.

params7

Banned

What glitches? In 4 hours of MP so far, I've spawned just once outside a map. Other than that, my progress is all being saved and sometimes I get a sound glitch or the gun doesn't load, the same shit happens in Bf3 till this date. But should be patched.

Other than that, what are you getting that I'm not?

Dawg

XHdAY.jpg

Somehow, those cheap sunglasses just don't fit in with the rest of the character.

Also, "you're"

DTKT

What glitches? In 4 hours of MP so far, I've spawned just once outside a map. Other than that, my progress is all being saved and sometimes I get a sound glitch or the gun doesn't load, the same shit happens in Bf3 till this date. But should be patched.

Other than that, what are you getting that I'm not?

Well, so far, I've:

Spawned outside the map once every round.
Spawned under the map a few times.
Been spawned camped quite regularly in Sector Control.
Had terrible issues with the hit detection.
Been fighting with the interface at every step.
Spawned in front or behind enemies. I mean quite literally right in front of someone.

Then, we could talk about the map design issues, gun recoil, movement speed. I honestly think that there isn't one good map in this game. They all follow the same model of choke points with narrow always and courtyards. They feel like re-skins of each other.

SRTtoZ

Well, so far, I've:

Spawned in front or behind enemies. I mean quite literally right in front of someone.

Then, we could talk about the map design issues, gun recoil, movement speed. I honestly think that there isn't one good map in this game. They all follow the same model of choke points with narrow always and courtyards. They feel like re-skins of each other.

I haven't had a single one of those issues. Weird.

EYEL1NER

I am bummed out to see people's impressions of the game, because I was hoping it was going to be amazing. I think I will like the game still though.
My Military-Exclusive Edition should be getting here next week maybe, so I look forward to trying it out then.

Paertan

Propably gonna buy it for the campaign eventually. Not interested in the multiplayer at all in these games. For that I have BF3.

Victrix

*beard*
Several multiplayer matches tonight ended in a locked up black screen, necessitating a dashboard and restart :|

Quitting out of any match kicks you back to the main menu, not the multiplayer menu.

Other than all the buggy shit and the UI, the actual gameplay and gunplay is ok!

I can't see this surviving the fall rush though, it's simply not polished enough. Pushing it out early was suicide.

Several multiplayer matches tonight ended in a locked up black screen, necessitating a dashboard and restart :|

Quitting out of any match kicks you back to the main menu, not the multiplayer menu.

Other than all the buggy shit and the UI, the actual gameplay and gunplay is ok!

I can't see this surviving the fall rush though, it's simply not polished enough. Pushing it out early was suicide.

yep i would not be surprised to see heads roll lol

jet1911

One thing I think they really nailed is the gunplay. Shooting a gun in this game feels like unleashing hell on the ennemies. Especially the machine guns. The way the screen shake, the sound they make, every gun sounds and feel fucking deadly. Honorable mention to the 870 too. Love that thing. :D

Sethos

Banned

I'll argue the shoddiness of this game has nothing to do with polish. Sure, it could have rectified a lot of the bugs but the sheer core game is pretty rubbish, from the story to the levels ( both MP and SP ) and just a ton of poor gameplay decisions.

Victrix

*beard*
I'll argue the shoddiness of this game has nothing to do with polish. Sure, it could have rectified a lot of the bugs but the sheer core game is pretty rubbish, from the story to the levels ( both MP and SP ) and just a ton of poor gameplay decisions.

I don't care about the SP, and I like the core gameplay in MP, so I don't agree with that.

There are polish issues all over the place. We played the S&D mode, which is some sort of weird 1 life CTF mode. Party chat is not disabled, you can spectate a live teammate and rotate the camera 360 around them, and in the match we played, the idle camera was floating over the enemy team spawn. I literally had a dead party member watching their spawn location while I was camping around the corner.

That's ignoring all the UI/bug stuff, which has been gone over repeatedly.

I like the fireteams, the buddy system, the spawn in on your buddy from spec camera, the scorestreaks, and Hotspot is a solid mode, among other things. There's also some smart little mechanics in the game, stuff like the emplaced LMG gunner only overheating if they can get set up, or the snipers 'spotter' calling locations if they're set up (though snipers have other issues, sniper rifles seem to have damn near zero sway even standing without holding your breath).

For a 30fps game, the gunplay, movement, and general combat all felt really smooth, which I'm impressed by, because I generally can't stand 30fps combat (I got BF3 on the PC specifically for this reason).

But yeah, it's just not good enough to release an FPS like this that directly competes with CoD with Black Ops 2 around the corner and Halo 4 as well. 'Ok' or even 'Good' isn't acceptable. It has to be really fucking amazing in every area if they're going to tackle CoD head on.

I think they could have carved out a niche with the focus on the fireteam system, but it's going to get lost in the flood. I'll be curious to see if EA supports this title with patches to clean up some of the jank (haha), or if they leave it to die. Depends on sales I suppose.

This whole year over year release by different studios is an impressive level of franchise whoring though, I'm curious if fatigue will set in, or if this basic gameplay template is the Madden of the FPS world.

Cudder

There is something wrong with the hit detection in this one. I might make a video of what I'm talking about sometime.

Sethos

Banned
I don't care about the SP, and I like the core gameplay in MP, so I don't agree with that.

There are polish issues all over the place. We played the S&D mode, which is some sort of weird 1 life CTF mode. Party chat is not disabled, you can spectate a live teammate and rotate the camera 360 around them, and in the match we played, the idle camera was floating over the enemy team spawn. I literally had a dead party member watching their spawn location while I was camping around the corner.

That's ignoring all the UI/bug stuff, which has been gone over repeatedly.

I like the fireteams, the buddy system, the spawn in on your buddy from spec camera, the scorestreaks, and Hotspot is a solid mode, among other things. There's also some smart little mechanics in the game, stuff like the emplaced LMG gunner only overheating if they can get set up, or the snipers 'spotter' calling locations if they're set up (though snipers have other issues, sniper rifles seem to have damn near zero sway even standing without holding your breath).

For a 30fps game, the gunplay, movement, and general combat all felt really smooth, which I'm impressed by, because I generally can't stand 30fps combat (I got BF3 on the PC specifically for this reason).

But yeah, it's just not good enough to release an FPS like this that directly competes with CoD with Black Ops 2 around the corner and Halo 4 as well. 'Ok' or even 'Good' isn't acceptable. It has to be really fucking amazing in every area if they're going to tackle CoD head on.

I think they could have carved out a niche with the focus on the fireteam system, but it's going to get lost in the flood. I'll be curious to see if EA supports this title with patches to clean up some of the jank (haha), or if they leave it to die. Depends on sales I suppose.

This whole year over year release by different studios is an impressive level of franchise whoring though, I'm curious if fatigue will set in, or if this basic gameplay template is the Madden of the FPS world.

Guess it's a matter of opinion. Even if this game was polished down to a mirror it'd still be a bad game purely because the core of it is rotten.

demolitio

This is one of those games where it's rough, but I really enjoy the MP regardless of what others say simply because the weapons feel different than in other games. Everything has weight to it and requires patience for long range shots and shooting from the hip is crazy unless you have an SMG or your gun is up the other guy's ass.

It has a lot of bugs, some poor design decisions and all that, but I like the core of the MP. No other game has put this much detail into each MP character either and this level of authenticity with the weaponry. If there's one thing to take away from this, it's that I wish other games would take the time to make their characters and weapons more authentic even in their Hollywood stories because it adds a lot to the game. Having 1 fake reflex sight, 1 fake 4x, etc. is selling it short when there's so many others out there and using generic rifles when you're supposed to be a special forces soldier or a black ops badass seems silly. If you want to make a game more believable, that's a little thing that adds to the game.

Props to them for taking some risks though. The international idea was pretty clever to get people interested outside the U.S. and allowing you to play as one unit while using any other nation's weapon allows you to stay true to your nation if you want but explore new rifles.

Man, Medal of Honor games used to be amazing.

I'll never forget Allied Assault /Frontlines and the fantastic PS1 MoH's.

The last MoH wasn't bad but it wasn't great either and the best part for me was having Frontlines in HD.

Well, so far, I've:

BF3 had some pretty bad hit detection/rubber-banding/spawning (in TDM) issues when it launched. The spawning outside of the map is unacceptable, but at least it's been acknowledged by the dev team and should be fixed.

Wish I could play this so I could give some impressions--I liked the mechanics present in the beta.

But the menus are horrible.

Sojgat

I'm actually enjoying the MP, but Warfighter is the most expensive game I've bought at launch this year, and on 360 it looks like it has the production values of a downloadable title. Ugly, basic looking maps with pop in around every corner and awful flat looking textures everywhere, probably the best range of weapon skins I've ever seen though, for what that's worth.

test_account

XP-39C²
How does the sniping in single player works? When i have the enemy dead center, i miss many times even when i hold by breath in the game. And i cant hit the RPG guys in the 1st mission. I've tried 5 times now, i miss every time.

How does the sniping in single player works? When i have the enemy dead center, i miss many times even when i hold by breath in the game. And i cant hit the RPG guys in the 1st mission. I've tried 5 times now, i miss every time.

You need to account for the distance from the target (bullet-drop). Aim slightly higher; the second mil under the center of the crosshairs.

Argyle

There is bullet drop.

Use the markings on the scope to line things up. I don't think this is explained anywhere, I had to figure it out. I found that each tick mark = 100m of distance or so.

Edit: damn beaten twice haha!

test_account

XP-39C²
You need to account for the distance from the target (bullet-drop). Aim slightly higher; the second mil under the center of the crosshairs.

There is bullet drop.

There is bullet drop.

Use the markings on the scope to line things up. I don't think this is explained anywhere, I had to figure it out. I found that each tick mark = 100m of distance or so.

Edit: damn beaten twice haha!
Thanks, now it was easy :) Is it really that much bulletdrop in real life? I can't imagine that. But i guess maybe the singleplayer and multiplayer part are both shared, so it is to making sniping harder in multiplayer.

Argyle

Thanks, now it was easy :) Is it really that much bulletdrop in real life? I can't imagine that. But i guess maybe the singleplayer and multiplayer part are both shared, so it is to making sniping harder in multiplayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

See the section "Predictions of several drag resistance modelling and measuring methods". You can see that at 300m the bullet in that chart will drop ~.7m in flight.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Not at launch. BF3 in particular was a hot mess, although it was Blizzard quality compared to the beta.

Sethos

Banned
Man, I'm having a hard time getting through this shit because it's so boring and frustrating. Just the move 3 feet, a new room with a million enemies that fire on you only, then a handful of super terrorist soldiers in heavy armour and when you finally get towards the next area, 7 enemies spawn in front of you.

So boring and repetitive, I barely manage 30 minutes of playtime before I hit ALT + F4

daevv

What do the tokens earned in the MP do? You can spend them in Battlelog, but for what?

Nevermind, quick search found this:

Q. What do Warfighter Tokens do?
A. If you apply tokens every day you will gain an XP Multiplier, make sure to visit every day and apply your tokens to continue getting the extra bounty!

Totalbiscuit does not approve of MOH: Warfighter

I like how he just stands there and the sniper never hits him.
This man is 100% correct. This whole linear cinematic shooter genre needs to crash and burn.

And auto-killing the player for not mindlessly using equipment X is groan inducing stupidity and abject laziness, and has no place in any game, anywhere. Its the worst damn thing I've seen since... well, since Battlefield 3's campaign.

Just fucking horrible. Horrible and sad.

Nizz

I got a kick out of this. :D I loved the "return to the combat area" parts. That's so true of many shooters nowadays. :/

Weird glitch, the AI teammates think your the bad guys and kill you!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbeS0-6YIo
Damn, that's unfortunate. I remember a time when EA used to release games like Bad Company in March. Now they feel the need to hit this October deadline with their shooters in a bid to beat COD games to market.

To me it's costing them in the quality of these games. Battlefield 3 to me was not truly ready for October and it looks like MOH:W could have used some more time for polish.

I mean the same fundamental gameplay would be the same, but it would be more polished technically at least.

Shady859

BLAH Gamefly copy went back today hoping it gets quick return handling again. Didn't like the MP after the beta but I like being punished for a few more days just to make sure so I picked up a LE online code cheap on Ebay for the BF4 beta and MP of this turd.

Stick with BF3 or play Black Ops/Halo to get sharp for new games in a few weeks.

At least I'm not the only one who thought the CG characters were horrifying.

For PC Gaf, don't know if any got this as well but the mouse felt really off to me. I checked whether it has use raw mouse input like in BF3 cause that on made a difference. No option whatsoever same as FOV.

I checked the config when I changed the FOV I took a look and again didn't see it listed in the cofig. So added the one from BF3 config and it seems to work.

code: GstInput.MouseRawInput 1

add it to your PROF_SAVE_profile in MOHW settings folder in Docs.

If someone tries it can you feel a difference? I don't want it being some placebo.

What type of file reader did you use to open the profile file?

I absolutely loved the last MoH game and found it's single player to be excellent. The set pieces were some of the best, IMO, right up there with CoD4. The multiplayer was garbage but the single player more than made up for it. Given that, I went ahead and got Warfighter despite the looming negativity. Unfortunately, this game just does not deliver as the story, set pieces and overall action were rather generic. The technical issues were fucking crazy and it's quite clear they rushed the shit out of this game.

Sadly it's evident their release date was dictated by CoD - their goal is to steal as many purchases from CoD as possible. It's not going to work this time; i'll be surprised if it can sell 3 million copies like the previous MoH did. Switching to a new engine and attempting to rush the game out before Black Ops 2 resulted in far too many problems and has dealt significant damage to the brand.

Top Bottom