• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 07/28 - 08/03

JaMarco

botticus said:
I think that would be Innocence.
When I think of "main tales" I more referring to in terms of development (Team Symphonia, Team Destiny) not some vague meaningless title Namco decides to give certain tales games to increase sales. Innocence, development wise, is an outsourced spin-off.

tehbear

Paracelsus said:
So, assuming Vesperia manages to reach the 150-200k range, we are pretty much safe on saying that the Japanese Tales fanbase has halved?

I mean, we got already three titles in two years reaching these sales, we just need a main Tales title as the absolute confirmation.

I'd like to know the reason why.

They are spread out over three systems now? I mean add up the Tos KoR sales and ToV probable sales... What'd interest me more is a triple platform Tales mothership title so tales fans can fight it out and we see whose the most hardcore of them.

I'd say port it to portables too, but the game would have to change to suit the DS.

gantz85

Banned
Anyone able to compare this to Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey's first day, first week and LTD sales in Japan?

Edit: Saw it.

From 2ch GEHA:

Blue Dragon sold 82.286 on the first week, 203.740 lifetime
Lost Odyssey sold 60.376 on the first week, 108.269 lifetime

I'm very suprised with Lost Odyssey. Even Valkyrie Chronicles outsold it. Stunning. Blue Dragon did fantastic it seems.

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 48.4 / 51.6, DS's highest since it was ahead the week of Pokémon Ranger Batonnage. This brings total shares to 69.6 / 30.4. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 3,435.8 weeks (June 9, 2074). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 212.4 weeks (August 30, 2012).

DS passes 23 million.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 18.8 / 81.2, bringing total shares to 25.7 / 74.3. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 449.5 weeks (March 16, 2017).

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 191 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 147.7 weeks (December 27, 2002), where DS was at 87.7 weeks (August 3, 2006), and where GBA was at 125.0 weeks (August 10, 2003).

PS3 comparisons: After 90 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was after 20.3 weeks (July 17, 2000), where PSP was after 52.6 weeks (December 8, 2005), where GCN was after 96.8 weeks (July 18, 2003), and where Wii was after 22.4 weeks (May 2, 2007).

By Famitsu's count, Wii Fit has retaken its lead over Monster Hunter Portable 2G.
MHP2G

Mario Kart Wii continues being the strongest performer in the series. It's not quite to where Mario Kart DS was after a full year, but it's getting close.

Mario Baseball Wii is sticking around the charts, but looks like it's lost more ground to its GCN counterpart.

Persona 4 continues doing much better than either Persona 3 release.

donny2112 said:
Media-Create blurb:

Total sales for the Top 100 titles were 1,372,434, 145.19% of last week, and 134.37% of the average weekly sales. 19 new titles made the ranking this week, making up a high 56.17% of the sales. Phantasy Star Portable is in first place with 342K. (Something about a retail demo(?)/trial version increasing the rate of digestion. "86.01%"(?)) With communication and cooperation with others as enjoyable points, the similarities to the Monster Hunter series helped sales. (Talks about Crisis Core: FFVII and how it started at 487K and has a LTD of 772K.)

In second place is Rhythm Tengoku Gold with 213K sales. The GBA version was released in August 2006 with first week sales of 37K, so this is a good start. For other new games, there is Soul Calibur IV (PS3: 75K, 360: 35K) and Fatal Frame: Lunar Mask (33K). Backed by a strong price for the software market, Summer excitement is starting to show.
Are you saving these together, outside of posts in these threads? Seems like something that could be useful to look back on.
duckroll said:
Comparing anything with the "success" of the original Xbox in Japan is like comparing a failed business venture with that of the Phantom. Based on what MS has been saying about Japan previously and now, I don't really think they consider it a success at all. They've just moved on in that aspect and no longer think too much about the failure and instead look towards worldwide sales.
If that's the case, grabbing exclusives like Tales of Vesperia doesn't make good sense. Unless you think they shifted attitudes between securing it and now.
AranhaHunter said:
Am I being unrealistic in expecting the 360 to sell at least 20k units next week?
Probably. Tales of Symphonia pushed GCN from 13K->34K or 15K->36K depending on the tracker. That's either a 21K effect or +150% effect depending on how you look at it. The last time X360 hit 20K outside of the holidays was never. Hell, it didn't even have a 20K week in the late 2007 holidays.
duckroll said:
AC6 did really close and technically SHOULD have passed 100k, but we don't have the numbers to back it up since it was released near the end of the year, and by the end of Dec it didn't pass 100k yet.
I've recently been given a bunch of Famitsu X360 data that hasn't made it to Garaph yet, which has it at 95K as of late March, up from 91K in mid-January. It might be at 100K now if it has kept some legs.
Miburou said:
Great charts as always, PantherLotus, but why do you have Monster Hunter Portable twice on the Top 10 LTD PSP games chart?
The higher one is the original release. The lower one is the "Best" budget rerelease.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Private Hoffman said:
I've always felt this was inevitable for the PS3.

It's not one single factor that has raised the PSP's status in Japan; clearly, it's a number of important changes that made the hardware more appealing to Japanese audiences. Namely, the software content has been significantly improved. There's a number of very popular Japanese titles (FF, Monster Hunter, etc) that have made the platform viable for Japanese tastes. Additionally, the lowered price and slim line PSP have also contributed to its success. Now, Sony is seeing a very bright future for the PSP in Japan, especially so with Square's renewed faith in the platform.

The Playsation 3 should receive a similar twist of fate. It's not so much that gamers are completely turned off of the Playstation entirely; this is the same country that has a history of embracing the Playstation brand and is now doing so with the PSP. It's just that right now there's no compelling reason for most Japanese gamers to purchase a Playstation 3 yet. Yet being the operative word. There's very little compelling software for Japanese gamer's tastes, the price is still fairly high, and the system is rather large. If Final Fantasy XIII is released in Japan in late 2009, it would certainly benefit Sony to drop the price or make a hardware revision alongside its release; preferably both if possible, and I really would see this simultaneous release to represent the shift most people are expecting.

The Wii is in a unique position in Japan in the sense that: 1) It's already cheap. 2) It's already small. 3) Nintendo has been churning out some great games that appeal to Japanese gamers.

I know its a few days late, but I'm pretty skeptical of this to be honest with you.

Now, I do think it will eventually improve- it will get cheap enough to do maybe 20K a week consistently instead of 10K..but if I'm reading your post correctly you seem to think a PSP type resurgance is likely- that I disagree with.

Your main argument seems to be that there just aren't enough games. I definitely think that's a problem, but when I look into the known future releases and what has already came out, I don't see this flood of huge titles that will lead a resurgance. We have FF13 and what else, RE5? What does Sony have this holiday..maybe White Knight Chronicles?

Now look at the franchises that have already released- Ridge Racer, Dynasty Warriors, Hot Shots, MGS4, DMC4, and some others. There have been a lot of high profile 3rd party releases in the last year, a price drop, and a new color..and PS3 is back under 10K a week.

What do you see in the future that would permanently change that situation?

Again, I'm sure FF13 will help, as will a price drop. But I'm not seeing this flood of great software that's going to save the PS3. The "wait till X" meme is basically down to FF13.

schuelma said:
I know its a few days late, but I'm pretty skeptical of this to be honest with you.

Now, I do think it will eventually improve- it will get cheap enough to do maybe 20K a week consistently instead of 10K..but if I'm reading your post correctly you seem to think a PSP type resurgance is likely- that I disagree with.

Your main argument seems to be that there just aren't enough games. I definitely think that's a problem, but when I look into the known future releases and what has already came out, I don't see this flood of huge titles that will lead a resurgance. We have FF13 and what else, RE5? What does Sony have this holiday..maybe White Knight Chronicles?

Now look at the franchises that have already released- Ridge Racer, Dynasty Warriors, Hot Shots, MGS4, DMC4, and some others. There have been a lot of high profile 3rd party releases in the last year, a price drop, and a new color..and PS3 is back under 10K a week.

What do you see in the future that would permanently change that situation?

Again, I'm sure FF13 will help, as will a price drop. But I'm not seeing this flood of great software that's going to save the PS3. The "wait till X" meme is basically down to FF13.

PS3 Slim

gantz85

Banned
Does anyone really think that PS3 Slim will change the fate of PS3 in Japan? How does aesthetic and size matter to the Japanese gaming consumer?

For me personally the PS3 is a bumfucking huge monster. Even if they slimmed it, with the additional integrated HDD it wouldn't be anywhere as small as the PS2. And I have no idea if that would bring about a revival of the PS3... Certainly if Sony had the slim version down for release this year we would be able to see whether it would change things. As of now, I dunno.

Also, does anyone still think that FFXIII JP will be synchronized with PS3 Slim?

Zihark

Yesss FE it may clear over 100k for the week, great sales. TOV is kinda sad TOI and TOS2- a spinoff first day numbers were more-but its kinda expected.

schuelma

Zihark said:
. TOV is kinda sad TOI and TOS2- a spinoff first day numbers were more-but its kinda expected.

It's doing about as well as anyone could have reasonably expected- that's the obvious downside to putting it on a system with a 600K userbase.

Next years Wii "mothership" Tales title should be interesting. Will it be stuck at the 200-250K mark, or will it actually expand a bit.

Zihark

schuelma said:
It's doing about as well as anyone could have reasonably expected- that's the obvious downside to putting it on a system with a 600K userbase.

Next years Wii "mothership" Tales title should be interesting. Will it be stuck at the 200-250K mark, or will it actually expand a bit.
Well it depends will Namco give it the same marketing as Vesperia-bundle, magazine and so fourth. I mean its easy to see there was more marketing behind TOV then TOS2. Also is a known Tales team-like Destiny working on it or is it outsourced? Also we should see how TOH performs, it'll be the third Tales game on DS and the first new 2-d Tales game in a while.

jeremy1456

schuelma said:

Are you just guessing, or has it really been announced that a new tales game is being made for Wii?

icecream

Public Health Threat
gantz85 said:
I'm very suprised with Lost Odyssey. Even Valkyrie Chronicles outsold it. Stunning. Blue Dragon did fantastic it seems.
Valkyria was working off a much larger userbase. About 4x.

It still remains to be seen if Vesperia's sales are front loaded, but these are excellent first day sales.

ivysaur12

Banned
schuelma said:

I mean, Symphonia 2, which was a spin-off is near 200k right now. It's definitely going to be interesting.

schuelma

ivysaur12 said:
I mean, Symphonia 2, which was a spin-off is near 200k right now. It's definitely going to be interesting.

True, but ToS:KoR had the advantage of being the sequel to a Game Cube game. I tend to think the next one has a lot of potential on the Wii, but I can't discount the possibility that KoR could prove deceiving.

jeremy1456

schuelma said:
True, but ToS:KoR had the advantage of being the sequel to a Game Cube game. I tend to think the next one has a lot of potential on the Wii, but I can't discount the possibility that KoR could prove deceiving.

I think the sequel-status is actually holding TOS:KOR back a little. I can't imagine people picking up the game who didn't already play the original.

jimbo

Banned
So I guess the 360 crossed 600k? I wonder with upcoming releases of The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery, how close the 360 can get to 1 million before the end of the year.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Are you saving these together, outside of posts in these threads? Seems like something that could be useful to look back on.

I posted it last week, and Stumpokapow seemed interested. He suggesting totalling up the weekly Top 100 sales and comparing it to the Top 500 for the year to get an idea of how much of the market the Top 500 captures. I'm not saving the information in a database, though.

jimbo said:
So I guess the 360 crossed 600k? I wonder with upcoming releases of The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery, how close the 360 can get to 1 million before the end of the year.

Hello, jimbo. I figure the 360 has a decent shot at 700K by the end of the year. 1 million by the end of 2008 is very unlikely, though. It's still < 100K YTD.

Edit:
JoshuaJSlone said:

Meant to say, "Nice post!" :)

Miburou said:
Great charts as always, PantherLotus, but why do you have Monster Hunter Portable twice on the Top 10 LTD PSP games chart?

The lower one is the first release of the BEST version. The second release of the BEST version is currently #30 on the PSP's best seller list.

So I've just seen a new, little promo video for Inazuma Eleven on Gametrailers and it reminded me that this game is coming out in a mere two weeks. :O
I wonder how huge Inazuma is going to be. How is the general hype/reception in Japan?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Karma said:
A Slim console is not the same as a slim portable.

Exactly, I don't see why form and size would make much of a difference when you're not even carrying it around? But then, I'm not Japanese either.

schuelma said:

What do you see in the future that would permantently change that situation?

You misjudge the importance of FF13 in Japan. It is almost like the Japanese version of Halo. It's a big deal.

All of those titles you mentioned are not in FF13's league whatsoever.

PSP sales took off after a few key titles released, one of them being final fantasy crisis core.

Also, we'll have to wait and see for more PS3 announcements at TGS for upcoming software. FF13 is more than a year away, so it makes sense that we haven't heard about upcoming japanese games, no?

donny2112

Private Hoffman said:
PSP sales took off after a few key titles released, one of them being final fantasy crisis core.

If PSP took off due to software titles, why did the tie ratio drop in the first six months in Japan following the Slim's release?

Private Hoffman said:
You misjudge the importance of FF13 in Japan. It is almost like the Japanese version of Halo. It's a big deal.

Also, we'll have to wait and see for more PS3 announcements at TGS for upcoming software. FF13 is more than a year away, so it makes sense that we haven't heard about upcoming japanese games, no?
If you're pinning the hopes and dreams of Japanese PS3 sales on one single game, let me give you a run-through of how these things work here.

They will buy a ton of PS3s when FFXIII comes out. They will play FFXIII. They will finish FFXIII. They will take both to the nearest second-hand game store and dump them.

I could build a mansion from the stacks of used PS3s sitting in 2nd hand stores right now just from MGS4 alone.

The PS3 is not the PSP. Everyone is having a lot of fun making this comparison, but it's a bad comparison, really.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kiriku said:
Exactly, I don't see why form and size would make much of a difference when you're not even carrying it around? But then, I'm not Japanese either.

It's more than that. It's a total strategic shift that includes marketing, branding, and message. It's a new assertion of culture that includes specific audience focus as well as mass market pricing.

If anybody in this current 'PS3 Lite' conversation is referring to anything I've stated, I mean definitely more than a new shell.

donny2112 said:
If PSP took off due to software titles, why did the tie ratio drop in the first six months in Japan following the Slim's release?

I don't know, piracy, used copies? The fact is, the hardware is selling, and there have been much better games out that appeal to japanese gamer's tastes on the platform.

schuelma

Private Hoffman said:

1-Of course I realize that Final Fantasy is big. Obviously. But is it going to change the tides all by itself? I'm pretty skeptical. By the time it releases, PS3 will have been on the market for nearly 3 years. I think its much more likely that many people buy the game and the system, then sell it back after beating the game. Just because FFVII turned the tide doesn't mean FF13 will.

2-I still don't think your PSP analogy holds up. PSP sales did go up because of Crisis Core, but they really exploded after the redesign that made it more of a multi-media device. Then Monster Hunter cemented that momentum. Also, PSP NEVER fell into PS3 selling territory. It always showed more signs of life.

3- I don't really understand your point about software. My main point is that other than Final Fantasy and Resident Evil most major franchises have already released. With zero impact on software sales. What could possibly be unveiled besides FF13 to change that trend?

And you don't find it a bit disconcerting that for the PS3's holiday the only major title that we know of that can realistically hit is White Knight Chronicles? Do you really expect TGS to be PS3's savior? Why? It's not selling any better than last year, when TGS didn't exactly show a flood of new PS3 software. I'm sure PS3 will still get franchises like DMC and Metal Gear, but DS/PSP/PS2 and Wii are all pretty serious and viable contenders for the software pie.

Like I said, I'm sure it will improve because the price will go down, but to expect a console that is selling 10K a week after a lot of major PS2 franchises have already released to start selling 50-60K a week after Final Fantasy strikes me as unlikely. What also strikes me as unlikely is the assumption that all of a sudden Japanese developers are going to unleash an avalanche of software, despite the anemic PS3 hardware and software sales.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not in Japan. Yet.

FF13 will not change the tides of this gen's battle for dominance alone. But it could certainly be the catalyst in combination with other titles, and a singular, lower priced SKU with a more appealing aesthetic that leads to a significant market shift.

Again, I think it highly unlikely that Sony pursue the "ds lite model" of hardware revision, and will instead pursue the MS model of incremental upgrades while maintaining the same price line. I think this is a mistake.

Paracelsus

Firestorm said:
Final Fantasy XIII is multiplatform...

I assume Japanese people won't care if it's multi outside the land where they have to buy it.

Although I agree with Schuelma. It will give a major boost but that's it.

I think this is a mistake.

Well, they did it twice, why not three times.

Question is: a PSthree is feasible without screwing the architecture?

schuelma

I WIN MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Quickest draw in the land

schuelma said:
1-Of course I realize that Final Fantasy is big. Obviously. But is it going to singlehandidly change the tides? I'm pretty skeptical. By the time it releases, PS3 will have been on the market for nearly 3 years. I think its much more likely that many people buy the game and the system, then sell it back after beating the game. Just because FFVII turned the tide doesn't mean FF13 will.

2-I still don't think your PSP analogy holds up. PSP sales did go up because of Crisis Core, but they really exploded after the redesign that made it more of a multi-media device. Then Monster Hunter cemented that momentum. Also, PSP NEVER fell into PS3 selling territory. It always showed more signs of life.

3- I don't really understand your point about software. My main point is that other than Final Fantasy and Resident Evil most major franchises have already released. With zero impact on software sales. What could possibly be unveiled besides FF13 to change that trend?

And you don't find it a bit disconcerting that for the PS3's holiday the only major title that we know of that can realistically hit is White Knight Chronicles? Do you really expect TGS to be PS3's savior? Why? It's not selling any better than last year, when TGS didn't exactly show a flood of new PS3 software. I'm sure PS3 will still get franchises like DMC and Metal Gear, but DS/PSP/PS2 and Wii are all pretty serious and viable contenders for the software pie.

Like I said, I'm sure it will improve because the price will go down, but to expect a console that is selling 10K a week after a lot of major PS2 franchises have already released to start selling 50-60K a week after Final Fantasy strikes me as unlikely, as does the assumption that all of a sudden Japanese developers are going to unleash an avalanche of software, despite the anemic PS3 hardware and software sales.

1. Final Fantasy will sell 4x what MGS4 did in Japan. Is it enough to change the tide? Not necessarily; but coupled with a PS3 slim, a pricedrop, and other software to accompany it in the future, I'd say that it is. It's not a single factor, but it is an important one.

2. PSP was never as expensive as the PS3, nor as big. Americans may not care how big a console is, but Japanese tastes may be different...and the PS3 is ridiculously large from what they're used to with consoles.

3. Most major franchises have already been released? Ehh...I don't think so. There's a lot of games that have been on the PS2 and haven't come out yet on the PS3, and none nearly as big as say a FF title or a DQ title.

4. Yeah, this holiday I don't think will change many minds in Japan. There's not a whole lot in the pipeline for this year.

Overall, I'm not saying the PS3 will necessarily start selling 50-60k, but I can see it doing more like 40k a week after the FF bump occurs, which is still a huge improvement over where it is now.

But, we'll just have to wait and see. Right now this is just a whole lot of speculation.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
gantz85 said:
Does anyone really think that PS3 Slim will change the fate of PS3 in Japan? How does aesthetic and size matter to the Japanese gaming consumer?

you really could have argued the same for the PSP, dont you think?

Also, does anyone still think that FFXIII JP will be synchronized with PS3 Slim?

if FFXIII is released late enough, sure.

there'll have to be a bundle in any case in Japan when it comes out though.

ElFly

PantherLotus said:
Again, I think it highly unlikely that Sony pursue the "ds lite model" of hardware revision, and will instead pursue the MS model of incremental upgrades while maintaining the same price line. I think this is a mistake.

Yeah, this is a terrible trend. And with no DS or Wii price drop needed in the foreseeable future, I am thinking it is here to stay. Probably until next gen.

schuelma

Private Hoffman said:
1. Final Fantasy will sell 4x what MGS4 did in Japan. Is it enough to change the tide? Not necessarily; but coupled with a PS3 slim, a pricedrop, and other software to accompany it in the future, I'd say that it is. It's not a single factor, but it is an important one.

2. PSP was never as expensive as the PS3, nor as big. Americans may not care how big a console is, but Japanese tastes may be different...and the PS3 is ridiculously large from what they're used to with consoles.

3. Most major franchises have already been released? Ehh...I don't think so. There's a lot of games that have been on the PS2 and haven't come out yet on the PS3, and none nearly as big as say a FF title or a DQ title.

4. Yeah, this holiday I don't think will change many minds in Japan. There's not a whole lot in the pipeline for this year.

Overall, I'm not saying the PS3 will necessarily start selling 50-60k, but I can see it doing more like 40k a week after the FF bump occurs, which is still a huge improvement over where it is now.

But, we'll just have to wait and see. Right now this is just a whole lot of speculation.

1. Let's take this first statement. MGS4 has sold about 625K right now. So you're saying that FF13 is going to sell 2.5M copies on a userbase that will probably what, be at maybe 3-3.5M? Do you realize how unlikely that is?

2. I understand that the Japanese value their space because their apartments are the size of shoeboxes etc., and I'm not from Japan- but that seems really really overplayed. You're telling me the Wii is only selling like it is because it's small ? Do you think it would be selling significantly worse if it was bigger? Really?

3. Re: major franchises. Tell me what bigger franchises that haven't already came out, besides Final Fantasy, that are likely to come out for the PS3? Hint- do not say Dragon Quest

botticus

schuelma said:
3. Re: major franchises. Tell me what bigger franchises that haven't already came out, besides Final Fantasy, that are likely to come out for the PS3? Hint- do not say Dragon Quest
GT5 and a potential KH3 are about it.

schuelma

botticus said:
GT5 and a potential KH3 are about it.

Ok, I forgot about GT5. Point taken. Don't think KH3 PS3 will be coming, and if it did, it wouldn't be for a loooooooooong time.

schuelma said:
1. Let's take this first statement. MGS4 has sold about 625K right now. So you're saying that FF13 is going to sell 2.5M copies on a userbase that will probably what, be at maybe 3-3.5M? Do you realize how unlikely that is?

2. I understand that the Japanese value their space because their apartments are the size of shoeboxes etc., and I'm not from Japan- but that seems really really overplayed. You're telling me the Wii is only selling like it is because it's small ? Do you think it would be selling significantly worse if it was bigger? Really?

1. It'll sell in the area of 2 - 2.5 million units when it's all said and done, yes. Userbase doesn't necessarily have much to do with the potential of a series like this. FFXII sold like 2.4 million after its first 2 weeks, while FFX sold even better with a smaller userbase, I believe. People said MGS4 would never sell as well as it ended up doing. FF is a hardcore series. The fans will come out and buy it upon release.

2. Seems overplayed? Maybe, maybe not. Given that theres not much software to influence them to buy a PS3, and its still costly, I'm sure many are content to wait for a revision.

3. Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, GT5....some of these titles may never come out on the PS3, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're on the platform a few years down the line after a game like FFXIII has boosted PS3 sales and introduced a new sense of life into the platform.

Top Bottom