• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/26 - 3/4

Pusha

Banned
Jammy said:
I see where you're going, even if I do think you take it too far.

I don't think I've played an RPG as beautiful and as complete as Chrono Cross... and that came out how many years ago? I think most people think of scale and cutscenes now when they think of RPGs, which I believe to be unfortunate. And to be honest, I also think too many RPGs nowadays are trying to be different with their combat systems and not much else. I'm not liking that trend, but I can see the Wii easily benifitting something like that.

No, when I think of an RPG, as realized in the next generation, I think of huge expanses, distinct NPCs with complex AI, lavish texturing that brings the world to life, an advanced physics engine, and an enjoyable narrative. It has nothing to do with cutscenes.

Eteric Rice

Pusha said:
No, when I think of an RPG, as realized in the next generation, I think of huge expanses, distinct NPCs with complex AI, lavish texturing that brings the world to life, an advanced physics engine, and an enjoyable narrative. It has nothing to do with cutscenes.

We already have huge expanses, and to be honest, they can be a pain to cross. Once something gets so big, it becomes over whelming, this is why I don't play Western RPGs like Elder Scrolls. Japanese RPGs are known to be more linier, with a better sense of direction.

Seriously, we already have distinct NPCs, and what more do they do to need "complex AI?" They're either there for decoration, or they're there to give you a quest, etc. Sometimes, developers will bring more to them, like having them sleep in their homes at night, etc (Zelda has done this on the N64, other games have been doing it since the SNES I believe). What more do you really need?

As for AI, I REALLY don't want monsters to become so complex that it takes me 5 hours to beat them. Bosses sure, but a good programmer doesn't need a ton of CPU power to make good AI. A good programmer know's the player's abilities, and he'll know to to program a boss to counter them.

As for textures, etc, the Wii is fine enough for me if DQSwords is any indication.

Really, if you're going for single player action games/ single player FPS, THEN you might need more CPU power. But hell, we've had pretty good AI in the past.

There's a limit to everything. RPGs have set balance that they follow. If there is to much of something, it can overwhelm the player. Why do you think JRPGs mostly use turn based systems? Because they don't want to overwhelm the player. This was actually in an interview, though I forget which.

Really, considering development time and budget, you're not going to get many games that much better than what we have outside of graphics and physics. Developers have time limits, and they can't sit around all day programming a complex AI for a simple monster, that is usually saved for bosses.

Not to mention RPG fans that I know absolutely loathe spending more than 10 seconds fighting trash mobs to get to the boss.

Asking me as a gamer...I'm greedy. I want the Wii controls. I want the PS3/360 horsepower. And I want it all at $299. I'm not going to get what I want this generation, but somehow I will manage. Next generation all three will probably help me out.

SonSon2

I think the real irony in all this is the fact in 5 years, the games for ps3 and 360 that graphic oriented enthusiasts (whores maybe) are going to be looking back on now and say that the graphics are dated and useless. Now that the PS3 and 360 are out, any game experience prior is invalidated and worthless. It's a garbage philosophy. No different then chewing gum, it loses flavor quickly and is thrown away. That is quite sad to me.

I think the Wii is underpowered. The HD systems provide better opportunities for larger environments, better physics and better AI. From that aspect it's important. However, a lot of these games LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. It's all Unreal engine 3, which just looks boring. I don't see a whole lot of "art" going on. People should be concerned about this. Also the fact PS3 and 360 are scarily resembling the mid 90's U.S. arcade scene.

What the Wii provides is something the others cannot do or do as well. A physical experience. Not simplified or innovative controls. I hope the developers make games that take into account your actual stamina, because when you get tired, your body changes. You have trouble focusing or get startled easier, you let your guard down. This is a potentially huge aspect to be explored (especially in survival horror games). Yes, there is lame waggle right now that's just tacked on for the most part. However with a skyrocketing userbase, I look forward to this aspect. Obviously there are other potentials, but this one in particular is what I find to be exciting.

I don't get why some people act as if the Wii is just gonna stop progressing from here on out. Graphically, it won't be able to compete directly with the realistic browns of the PS3 and 360, but it is more than capable of competing in the art direction department, and frankly, many Wii games can use some polishing. SMG is a great benchmark.

Then there's the possibilities of the waggle, Wii Sports set the pace and I'm excited about it's future. Hey, it's the main reason I bought a console for the first time in my life.

AniHawk

Well, this is a sales thread, and I didn't want to really start shit in one of the Home/LBP/Mii/Achievement/SMG bitch threads, so...

Our store got in 3 Wiis and 5 DS Lites yesterday. That's the only shipment for March.

With the PS3, we got in 8, and have 11 total (there was none sold between last Sunday and today). To me, it looks like Sony's gonna be flooding the channels with product so they can meet their estimates. We're only one store, but the same thing happened in 2005 with the PSP and last December with the Xbox 360.

AniHawk

Eteric Rice said:
Hmm, worldwide launch must be raping their factories. : (

It's driving me nuts that we're still selling 3 within a day. The day that we get them.

I can't believe that in March, on a Friday morning, that we're still getting calls and people walking in hoping to buy one. On the plus side we got more Wii Plays and remotes in.

Jammy

Banned
A quick run over to a local Target yesterday (to pick up a damn new microwave for the dorm...) revealed two empy "slots" where Wii Plays were once, and a shitload of copies of Sonic and the Secret Rings.

I just had to give my little anecdotal evidence after Anihawk reminded me of the game. Also, Wii Play will be a million-seller next week in Japan alone. Sheesh...

Oh, and of course Wiis were sold out and there were about four or five PS3s locked up below. It sounds like Nintendo's really spread out trying to get shipments out. If Japan shipments were low last week, maybe Europe or the U.S. got more than usual? This Target got 210 Wiis at launch, so I think it would be stupid to just get three for a whole month. If they're giving three to five systems per big store, something needs to bite them in the ass.

SonSon2

AniHawk said:
Well, this is a sales thread, and I didn't want to really start shit in one of the Home/LBP/Mii/Achievement/SMG bitch threads, so...

Yeah, got really off track as usual, but I had to put that cent in. 3 systems for the whole god damn month? That's a crime. No wonder Wii is "selling out" everywhere...Nintendo...stock stock stock! For the love of god man, give the public what it wants!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:

Our store got in 3 Wiis and 5 DS Lites yesterday. That's the only shipment for March.

With the PS3, we got in 8, and have 11 total (there was none sold between last Sunday and today). To me, it looks like Sony's gonna be flooding the channels with product so they can meet their estimates. We're only one store, but the same thing happened in 2005 with the PSP and last December with the Xbox 360.

Hmm...I was under the impression supply was getting a bit better lately- a lot more Sunday ads having Wii's in. NPD's should be interesting.

Epiphyte

Anihawk, do you work at a specialty games retailer?

I wonder if Nintendo has shifted the bulk of their resupply to the big box stores in an effort to try to hit the widest demographic.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
SonSon2 said:
Yeah, got really off track as usual, but I had to put that cent in. 3 systems for the whole god damn month? That's a crime. No wonder Wii is "selling out" everywhere...Nintendo...stock stock stock! For the love of god man, give the public what it wants!

I'm sure they know how important it is to strike while iron is hot. And the Wii is so very hot right now. I last heard two million DSs were being produced a month. How many Wiis are being made a month?

Jammy

Banned
Vilix said:
I'm sure they know how important it is to strike while iron is hot. And the Wii is so very hot right now. I last heard two million DSs were being produced a month. How many Wiis are being made a month?

One million

AniHawk

Epiphyte said:
Anihawk, do you work at a specialty games retailer?

I wonder if Nintendo has shifted the bulk of their resupply to the big box stores in an effort to try to hit the widest demographic.

Yeah, I've been under the impression lately that specialty stores (where I work) are getting shafted. I was at Best Buy a week ago and saw about a dozen wii remotes just sitting there, along with 3 copies of FFVIa. We hadn't had either for 3 weeks or so.

Evlar

Banned
SonSon2 said:
Hmm. For January the Japanese shipments and the NA shipments were very close... almost identical I believe. It's easy to follow Wii shipments because the system is reportedly supply-constrained in both territories, so it's a simple matter of looking at the sales (and adjusting for Canada and Mexico in the NPD numbers).

We have all the MC numbers for February in Japan, and they add up to 278,646 total sold (and presumably very close to that shipped). The beginning and ending dates for NPD February don't precisely match MC's dates but it's close enough to draw some conclusions. IF Nintendo has continued the pattern of shipping equal stock to both NA and Japan and IF the Wii has continued to sell out through most of the country (it certainly has in this area) then NPD for Wii in February should be 280,000 minus whatever is allocated to Canada and Mexico.

I'm saying probably 240,000.

One further note: Big-box stores in this area have been getting relatively large quantities of stock onto the shelf at surprising times. I saw a dozen Wiis on the shelf at Best Buy late one Thursday evening (they persisted for at least an hour but were gone by the next day). Circuit City restocked twice? I think. Shipments are happening, though perhaps not at quite the weekly rate we saw in January. Perhaps they're holding back for something? Release of Super Paper Mario, maybe?

AniHawk

The Sphinx said:
Hmm. For January the Japanese shipments and the NA shipments were very close... almost identical I believe. It's easy to follow Wii shipments because the system is reportedly supply-constrained in both territories, so it's a simple matter of looking at the sales (and adjusting for Canada and Mexico in the NPD numbers).

We have all the MC numbers for February in Japan, and they add up to 278,646 total sold (and presumably very close to that shipped). The beginning and ending dates for NPD February don't precisely match MC's dates but it's close enough to draw some conclusions. IF Nintendo has continued the pattern of shipping equal stock to both NA and Japan and IF the Wii has continued to sell out through most of the country (it certainly has in this area) then NPD for Wii in February should be 280,000 minus whatever is allocated to Canada and Mexico.

I'm saying probably 240,000.

One further note: Big-box stores in this area have been getting relatively large quantities of stock onto the shelf at surprising times. I saw a dozen Wiis on the shelf at Best Buy late one Thursday evening (they persisted for at least an hour but were gone by the next day). Circuit City restocked twice? I think. Shipments are happening, though perhaps not at quite the weekly rate we saw in January. Perhaps they're holding back for something? Release of Super Paper Mario, maybe?

They said they'd be upping production in April, which looks to be a big, big month. Super Paper Mario for the Wii (IF properly advertised, will be a big game [though not as big as Super Mario Galaxy or SSBB]), and Pokemon for the DSL, which I'm assuming they're slowly building up supply for.

What if Nintendo just isn't selling that many Wiis right now? Can anyone really confirm they are selling out, or is it a way to rationalize slowly-declining Wii sales?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Inhumanility said:
What if Nintendo just isn't selling that many Wiis right now? Can anyone really confirm they are selling out, or is it a way to rationalize slowly-declining Wii sales?

Well from every single bit of anecdotal evidence I'v e heard or read about, they are still being sold very quickly.

If I had to, I would guess at 350-375K for the February NPD. We'll see soon..

SonSon2

Well, February NPD should be interesting then. It's so frustrating. I've been wanting to play Wii with my Bro (as in blood, not some f'n frat) for a while, but he can't find one. Here's hoping they'll have some real stock in the next few months.

It really is amazing the demand for Wii. Never would I have thought this would have gone down a year ago.

I can hear HD enthusiasts crying in the backround...

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Well, Wii production is supposed to increase soon, if it hasn't already, but it will still take time for shipments, Nintendo doesn't want to invest in airlifts like Sony recently did. :lol

Crom

Why all this talk about art? Art is horseshit. Give me waggle!
I don't ever recall blowing a zombies head off in Resident Evil, pausing and thinking to myself "This is art."

I saw brains splattered on the wall. Maybe you saw something else?

nli10

Inhumanility said:

Wii pre-orders still take 3 weeks to fill in the big store near me. They get a steady trickle and a larger shipment for any 1st part game launch and they all go to pre-orders. I'm a nintendo fan and even I didn't think the sell outs would last up to Easter!

Just noticed something with last Famitsu chart....

Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition Bandai Namco 65.417 65.147
Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition Bandai Namco 14.977 80.394

Tales of Destiny 2 Bandai Namco 65.503 65.503
Tales of Destiny 2 Bandai Namco 14.908 80.411

Man, thats some easy resemblance to see :lol

This week ToD2 didn't make it to Top30 in MC so I guess it won't make it in Famitsu either. ToP was in top30 but with just 7349 so I think ToD2 can do pretty much the same although outside the top30. The last numbers from ToP we got put it around 110k.

I'm quite dissapointed that the first port of a PS2 Tales in PSP has done like the 4th ToP version though.

I guess we'll see ToP (and FFI and FFII :lol ) on XBLA, DS, Splogenborg, PSN....:)

Inhumanility said:

:lol :lol

What the **** is this comment based on? Certainly not anything in the 20 posts before you in this thread. Talk about bending reality to suit your preferences.

It amazes me that the people tracking sales trends are called raving Nintendo fanboys while people like this show up every week and get off the hook.

Haunted

AdmiralViscen said:
It amazes me that the people tracking sales trends are called raving Nintendo fanboys while people like this show up every week and get off the hook.
neogaf1.gif

Crom

Inhumanility said:

If you can find a wii anywhere that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it.

Crom Tretton

donny2112

Yeah! Finally (sort of) caught up to now in the Media-Create threads. :) I didn't really read much from the last four Media-Create threads, so if anything bombshelling happened, feel free to recap. ;)

I didn't see the Famitsu Top 30 charts posted, so here's a catch-up.

Famitsu Feb 5-11

1. PS3 Virtua Fighter 5 52432 / NEW
2. WII Wii Sports 46596 / 1006664
3. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 43947 / 4763061
4. WII Wii Play 35450 / 859728
5. PS2 GTA: San Andreas 34640 / 308700
6. NDS Brain Training 2 33600 / 4023680
7. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 31419 / 4111354
8. NDS Luminous Arc 30743 / NEW
9. NDS Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On 30360 / 101340
10. PS2 J-League Pro Soccer 5 29948 / 138282
11. NDS General Knowledge Training 27436 / 1177046
12. NDS Wario: The Seven 24697 / 187870
13. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 22272 / 3883726
14. NDS Picross DS 20068 / 108964
15. NDS Mega Man Star Force Pegasus/Leo/Dragon 19583 / 374097
16. NDS Mario Kart DS 17235 / 1939461
17. NDS Brain Training 15179 / 3128302
18. NDS Kanji Brain 14306 / 298282
19. NDS Sangokushi Taisen DS 12860 / 111184
20. NDS English Training 12841 / 1647820
21. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 12132 / 246508
22. NDS Hotel Dusk: Room 215 11958 / 98465
23. NDS Hoshi no Kirby DS 11367 / 877759
24. NDS Heisei Kyouiku Iinkai DS 11290 / 120417
25. NDS Etrian Odyssey 11015 / 61373
26. WII Wario Ware: Smooth Moves 10421 / 329483
27. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 10070 / 437424
28. WII Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 9949 / 403806
29. NDS Puyo Puyo! 9678 / 106031
30. PS2 Pachinko Winter Sonata 9220 / 72251

Famitsu Feb 12-18

1. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 119816 / NEW
2. PSP Tales of Destiny 2 65503 / NEW
3. PS2 Soul Cradle: Sekai wo Kurau Mono 48433 / NEW
4. NDS Death Note 46956 / NEW
5. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 43987 / 1146953
6. NDS Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem 43192 / NEW
7. WII Wii Sports 41205 / 1047869
8. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 39553 / 4802614
9. NDS Picross DS 38908 / 147872
10. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 32369 / 4143723
11. NDS Brain Training 2 31658 / 4055338
12. WII Wii Play 30680 / 890408
13. NDS General Knowledge Training 27416 / 1204462
14. NDS Hotel Dusk: Room 215 25565 / 124030
15. NDS Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On 24925 / 126265
16. PS2 GTA: San Andreas 22840 / 331540
17. NDS Wario: The Seven 22155 / 210025
18. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 20076 / 3903802
19. NDS Mario Kart DS 18138 / 1957599
20. NDS Mega Man Star Force Pegasus/Leo/Dragon 16193 / 390290
21. PS2 J-League Pro Soccer 5 15323 / 153605
22. NDS Brain Training 14556 / 3142858
23. NDS Kanji Brain 13716 / 312008
24. PS3 Virtua Fighter 5 13403 / 65835
25. NDS Sangokushi Taisen DS 12630 / 123814
26. NDS English Training 12040 / 1659860
27. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 11113 / 257621
28. NDS Heisei Kyouiku Iinkai DS 10231 / 130648
29. NDS Puyo Puyo! 10108 / 116139
30. NDS Hoshi no Kirby DS 9734 / 887493

Famitsu Feb 19-25

1. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 746313 / NEW
2. PS2 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 80202 / NEW
3. WII Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn 73337 / NEW
4. NDS SimCity DS 50632 / NEW
5. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 46119 / 165935
6. WII Wii Sports 42809 / 1090678
7. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 39419 / 1186372
8. WII Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX 34783 / NEW
9. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 33444 / 4836058
10. WII Wii Play 29576 / 919984
11. NDS Picross DS 27492 / 175364
12. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 26040 / 4169763
13. NDS Brain Training 2 25520 / 4080858
14. NDS Hotel Dusk: Room 215 23194 / 147224
15. PS2 Lupin the 3rd: Death for Lupin from Love of Money 22170 / NEW
16. NDS General Knowledge Training 20817 / 1225279
17. NDS Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On 17682 / 143947
18. NDS Death Note 17028 / 63984
19. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 16281 / 3920083
20. NDS Wario: The Seven 16057 / 226082
21. PS2 GTA: San Andreas 15782 / 347322
22. 360 Crackdown 15272 / NEW
23. NDS Mario Kart DS 15261 / 1972860
24. PSP Tales of Destiny 2 14908 / 80411
25. NDS Mega Man Star Force Pegasus/Leo/Dragon 14641 / 404931
26. NDS Keroro Gunsou Enshuu da yo! Zen-in Shuugou Part 2 13875 / NEW
27. NDS Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem 12906 / 56098
28. PS2 Soul Cradle: Sekai wo Kurau Mono 12894 / 61327
29. SDC Trigger Heart Exelica 12881 / NEW "It lives!"
30. NDS Brain Training 11680 / 3154538

There's more Dreamcast games on the most recent Top 30 than PS3 games. Whoops. :p

Is it still confirmed that Wii's are completely sold out in Japan, or are they just hard to find but not impossible? I'm not looking for beliefs but actual confirmation. Thanks! :)

donny2112 said:
Is it still confirmed that Wii's are completely sold out in Japan, or are they just hard to find but not impossible? I'm not looking for beliefs but actual confirmation. Thanks! :)

We will find this out next week, when Wii either sold around 75k (which means it´s outsold) or sold as bad as this week, which would point towards "not outsold".

Inhumanility said:

tupac.small.jpg

You're living fantasies, junior, I reject your deposit.

Hey it was just an assumption. I mean we can making excuses on why the Wii is selling less and less every week.

I really doubt Nintendo is shipping 10,000 less Wiis every week to Japan. Like I doubt they only shipped 85000 one week (selling 83k) then decided, "Oh lets ship 10k less next week". It doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that one week there were 30k Wiis that weren't sold and were just in stock that MC didn't track. I mean there's always that possibility

Not suprised at Wii doing well, compared to PS3 and 360 it just feels like a bargin and then when you think of playing Wii Tennis, you just think why not.

Jokeropia

Inhumanility said:
I really doubt Nintendo is shipping 10,000 less Wiis every week to Japan. Like I doubt they only shipped 85000 one week (selling 83k) then decided, "Oh lets ship 10k less next week". It doesn't make sense.
It's entirely possible that they're feeling confident about Japan and are starting to allocate more Wiis to NA and Europe. I mean, Japan has been getting an unproportionally large share up to this point.

Inhumanility said:
Hey it was just an assumption. I mean we can making excuses on why the Wii is selling less and less every week.

Not to mention that one week there were 30k Wiis that weren't sold and were just in stock that MC didn't track. I mean there's always that possibility

This would be a good post if Wii sales were going down each week, rather than going up and down on alternating weeks without noticeable effect by software releases.

Maybe if you read the thread you'd know something about their manufacturing cycle.

Finn

A Link to the Snitch said:
I think that's enough evidence to show that D/P is hardly "done".
Pokemon didn't die in the 90s like everyone suggested it would? Sweet.

And on a sidenote, cannot wait for those two friggin games. Between Super Paper Mario and Pokemon in April, my wallet is going to be hurting.

AdmiralViscen said:
This would be a good post if Wii sales were going down each week, rather than going up and down on alternating weeks without noticeable effect by software releases.

Maybe if you read the thread you'd know something about their manufacturing cycle.

im the one who predicted its sells being lower than 63k by looking at its sales trend, so don't try and sit there and lecture me on reading the thread.

And how has Japan been getting an unproportioned bigger shipment of Wiis each month?

JAPAN
November: 350,358
December: 569,285
January: 459,188

US
November: 476,140
December: 604,170
January: 435,503

I see nothing that supports that statement.

Avrum

Crom said:
Why all this talk about art? Art is horseshit. Give me waggle!
I don't ever recall blowing a zombies head off in Resident Evil, pausing and thinking to myself "This is art."

I saw brains splattered on the wall. Maybe you saw something else?

Didn't you get the memo? A new proposition came into effect known as HECKER'S LAW!

Top Bottom