• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/26 - 3/4

farnham

Banned
i dunno how the split is between the 3 territories..

but Nintendo will sell almost 2 million units in Japan until March 07
and probably about the same in NA (when are NPD number comming?)
European sales were very good in december but we have no information how it continued (only indications which suggest they did well)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Is the ps3 out in europe yet? I haven't seen anything about it in the Netherlands. also, when did media create threads become this huge? this is almost like NPD levels every week.

catfish said:
Is the ps3 out in europe yet? I haven't seen anything about it in the Netherlands. also, when did media create threads become this huge? this is almost like NPD levels every week.

You are like behind in so many levels. :p

No, the PS3 is not out yet in Europe, launch date is on March 23. You're welcome.

Neomoto

Hmm BBA AND Super Paper Mario? Unbelievable how many great games Nintendo will have released for Wii by then. Zelda, Wario Ware, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Exite Truck, Wii Sports, Wii Play (controller), Big Brain Academy and Super Paper Mario.. Wow. Wii is on fire and it aint showing signs of even slowing down one bit for a good while. It'll be interesting to see just how well BBA and SPM will do, and what types of legs they'll have.

womp

I gotta admit, I found BBA disappointing on the DS and was ready to shrug off the Wii incarnation based on that however those multiplayer videos at gametrailers.com sucked me in. The multiplayer aspects actually look damn fun.

If its $29.99 I'd snag it.

That guy playing on the right side in the videos was an idiot though. :)

Apenheul

catfish said:

In the small little town in The Netherlands I live in two stores are taking PS3 pre-orders. The lists are nowhere as big as they were with Wii but I think that's because there'll be plenty of PS3's available. Both stores still have small Wii pre-order lists btw. They seem to get only 2 Wii's per week, it's been like that for a while and one store said it will be like that for the next 5 weeks. So if the Wii's are not in Japan and they're not here, where are they? NA?

Edit: didn't read ziran's post, that sounds like a reasonable explanation

Inhumanility said:
I see your links. I'm almost satisfied. So if your guy's ridiculous ideals are correct, nintendo Weekly shipments would look like this (counting MC undertracking):

Dude, you're the one with 'ideals' in this topic. Everyone else is speaking in terms of measurable fact (as close as it comes).

Europe has gotten the short end of the stick if supplies are concerned. With Japan in the bag, they would want to get a stable base in Europe before the PS3 is out - since Europe is the only region where the PS3 price is not as crazy compared to last-gen (were the PS2 succesfully debuted at 499 or something in certain countries).

The PS2 was £300 here in the UK and down to £200 within a year, and it really took off once the pricepoint hit that £200 sweetspot. The PS3 is launching at £425, that's an awful long way from that £200 pricepoint, a price that both Nintendo and Microsoft have been hitting since launch.

I think its also worth noting that you can now get a core 360 with a game and memory unit for £200 and the Wii is £180 with a game and internal memory, that's an awful long way from £470 which is the minimum cost of entry for the PS3. Considering Europe is the market with the lowest HD penetration, both Microsoft and Nintendo have already gained a foothold here (something that couldn't really be said at any point last generation) and retailers are shoving PS3 preorders down everyon'es throats, I'd say Sony has to at least be concerned. Many people assume Europe is a free pass for Sony, but the conditions for the PS3's entry are very different to the ones laid in front of the the PS2, and Sony will not have the same dominance as they have for the last decade.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
brain_stew said:

Europe has gotten the short end of the stick if supplies are concerned. With Japan in the bag, they would want to get a stable base in Europe before the PS3 is out - since Europe is the only region where the PS3 price is not as crazy compared to last-gen (were the PS2 succesfully debuted at 499 or something in certain countries).

The PS2 was £300 here in the UK and down to £200 within a year, and it really took off once the pricepoint hit that £200 sweetspot. The PS3 is launching at £425, that's an awful long way from that £200 pricepoint, a price that both Nintendo and Microsoft have been hitting since launch.

I think its also worth noting that you can now get a core 360 with a game and memory unit for £200 and the Wii is £180 with a game and internal memory, that's an awful long way from £470 which is the minimum cost of entry for the PS3. Considering Europe is the market with the lowest HD penetration, both Microsoft and Nintendo have already gained a foothold here (something that couldn't really be said at any point last generation) and retailers are shoving PS3 preorders down everyon'es throats, I'd say Sony has to at least be concerned. Many people assume Europe is a free pass for Sony, but the conditions for the PS3's entry are very different to the ones laid in front of the the PS2, and Sony will not have the same dominance as they have for the last decade.

I agree with everything you said. That said, I'm still wondering if the PS3 will –relatively– bomb or not. It won't be a huge success as the PS2 was, but hell, we in France witnessed a few riots here and there for the PS2, although it cost 450€ and people could not always buy a single game with it.

wtf scej...

I just read that they will FINALLY release the second Minna no Golf for PSP...on 31th May! :/

And thats not what smells fishy, the name will be Minna no Golf Ba Vol.1 and will cost 5980Y without GPS, and 9980Y with it.

First it misses Christmas, now it misses Golden Week, they charge more than usual just for the game although the most important new feature seems to be GPS and you won't have it unless you spend even more money, plus the game name sounds like milking coming soon...

wtf scej really...great way to kill a potential good seller for PSP.

farnham said:
As far as my little town in germany is concerned the PS3 is creating little to no buzz...

They had demo units in Mediamarkt.. but no one was even touching it.. Well its no indication to how well the PS3 will do or not. but it was quite unusual..
It's the same around here (minus the demo stations, though I haven't been to a big retailer like Media Markt in a while). But to to be fair, console launches don't produce a lot of hype around here. The only exception I can think of was the Wii launch. Not even the DS produced a lot of hype. I was getting one at launch in a Media Markt and they had nintendo personel walking around introducing people to the DS; stacks of DS' right in the centre of the entertainment area; big advertisement panels and hardly anyone payed attention.
I don't think that lack of hype is neccessarily a bad sign. I do agree though that the buzz around the system is nowhere near the level people would like it to be.

farnham

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It's the same around here (minus the demo stations, though I haven't been to a big retailer like Media Markt in a while). But to to be fair, console launches don't produce a lot of hype around here. The only exception I can think of was the Wii launch. Not even the DS produced a lot of hype. I was getting one at launch in a Media Markt and they had nintendo personel walking around introducing people to the DS; stacks of DS' right in the centre of the entertainment area; big advertisement panels and hardly anyone payed attention.
I don't think that lack of hype is neccessarily a bad sign. I do agree though that the buzz around the system is nowhere near the level people would like it to be.

i did not notice any buzz about the DS either.. but the beginning of the DS was rather slow too..:)

the DSL launch was different though

and right now you can see stacks and stacks with Braintraining (which are nearly gone the next week) totally insane

andthebeatgoeson

Neomoto said:
Hmm BBA AND Super Paper Mario? Unbelievable how many great games Nintendo will have released for Wii by then. Zelda, Wario Ware, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Exite Truck, Wii Sports, Wii Play (controller), Big Brain Academy and Super Paper Mario.. Wow. Wii is on fire and it aint showing signs of even slowing down one bit for a good while. It'll be interesting to see just how well BBA and SPM will do, and what types of legs they'll have.
Shut the hell up. Every time I turn around, I notice I can't find any great games. Like, right there, next to my book case. NO GREAT GAMES. And I have a Wii in the house. Coincidence? I think not.

andthebeatgoeson

brain_stew said:

I don't believe it. The PS3 will sell out everything they can ship.

Neomoto

brain_stew said:

Hmm I remember that in the Netherlands, the launchprice of the PS2 was F 1149. Which would be ~ 520 euro (...). Seriously, Europe (or the Dutch as the quoted story tells something completely different, but that was NOT the case for the Netherlands) was getting ****ed big time by Sony. And yet there was hype, it was even on the news and such. To be fair, the price got a price drop fairly quick iirc, but still. Yet, I don't see anywhere near as much hype for PS3 now. For example, almost no media exposure (I've seen some on tv but that wasn't from Sony but for a contest) and you can still pre-order a ps3 everywere I look, including all kinds of bundles with extra games and what not. I don't think Europe will skyrocket PS3 sales, it doesn't have much going for it tbh, except the PlayStation brand and maybe Home. What I mean with the last is that many / almost all "things" that made the PSX and PS2 so populair arn't there for PS3, at least not right now. I'm sure it'll do well when it launches, but I don't think it'll continue to do so after that (just like what happend in Japan and US).

Edit:

skinnyrattler said:
Shut the hell up. Every time I turn around, I notice I can't find any great games. Like, right there, next to my book case. NO GREAT GAMES. And I have a Wii in the house. Coincidence? I think not.
Excuse me? Who the **** do you think you are? I don't see why I should even reply to you since you can't even react normally, but Wii has great games yeah. Are you stupid or something? Maybe I'll make it easier for you: At least for the time being it is doing better than BOTH x360 and ps3 as far as released games are concerned in the same timespawn since the consoles launched.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
santouras said:
yeah, unfortunately for nintendo they've smartened everyone up with Brain Training so they know when they're getting ripped off

Nintendo need to release Propaganda Training to reverse the effects of Brain Training and Brain Training 2.

Then release Brain Training 3 :D

skinnyrattler said:

:lol wtf is this shit?

farnham said:
i did not notice any buzz about the DS either.. but the beginning of the DS was rather slow too..:)

the DSL launch was different though

and right now you can see stacks and stacks with Braintraining (which are nearly gone the next week) totally insane
Yeah, the DSL and BT is a lethal combination-who'd thunk it way back?
skinnyrattler said:
Sony has proven they can sell a million PS3s. It's the next 99 million that'll be the tough part.
Not to piss on your parade but it's 1 million during the launch period. Whatever that means in detail, it means that there are less than 1 million units on launch day.
Plus we don't know wether or not the launch units are all sold or not (though I do expect them to sell out at launch).

Evlar

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Have you checked behind the bookcase? Or under the bed?

Haunted

Neomoto said:
Edit:

Excuse me? Who the **** do you think you are? I don't see why I should even reply to you since you can't even react normally, but Wii has great games yeah. Are you stupid or something? Maybe I'll make it easier for you: At least for the time being it is doing better than BOTH x360 and ps3 as far as released games are concerned in the same timespawn since the consoles launched.
Calm down, because
duderon said:
he's joking, you magnificent bastards.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
If the EXE pattern is repeated the game will only get more popular once the sequels come out. So Starforce 2 > Starforce 1, perhaps. Or it could do even worse, but I think the franchise is pretty stable for Capcom.

I reckon it's pretty stable. As I said before, the three games together only sold around 80,000 in their first week, but then sold 100,000 extra altogether the following week and are now looking like being able to make 500,000 with ease. Not bad at all! And it surely can't be too long before the next Starforce is announced, although it'd probably be wiser to go back to just two versions I reckon.

Moving on, does anyone reckon Heroes of Mana can get to around 60,000-70,000 units by the next chart update?

Sinobi blog reported that Yoshi DS sold around 100k on first day, correct me if i was wrong on translation (babelfish fault, not mine, ehehehe)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Inhumanility said:
I see your links. I'm almost satisfied. So if your guy's ridiculous ideals are correct, nintendo Weekly shipments would look like this (counting MC undertracking):

Why limit the consoles' potential like that? Makes no sense to me but alas, I grow weary.

I just got back from a sneak preview of the movie "Shooter" by the way. It's an excellent movie that I encourage you all to go watch. Rated R though for you < 18 year olds

P.S. My name is Inhumanility. Not inhumane

Dude, what ARE you? Alas, you grow weary? WTF are we in character now? C'mon man.

WTH are you on about "limiting the console's potential" bullshit? You're the guy with silly as shit cheesburger onion ring analogy, right? Can you make the same amount of cheesburgers and onion rings every single day? Do you rely on other people for buns? Did some guy call in sick? What if you run out of cheese? Why do you think the Wii is a GameCube with pickles? Is it possible that your max capacity for cheeseburger making is completely dependent on outside factors and has absolutely zero to do with demand?

Dude you try so hard to sound smart with the big words and alas i grow weary line but this continued non-understanding of simple production/shipping issues (and the ups and downs therein) is breathtaking in its naiveté.

Here's what we do know, Sherlock:
1. The Wii sells every single unit it ships in Japan
2. Unit sales in Japan are not constant -- they go down, they go up.
3. No manufacturing process in any industry is exact
4. Nintendo is known to hold units for big titles
5. Nintendo has several markets that it is trying to appease at one time

So what conclusion do you come up with? DEMAND MUST BE GOING DOWN! DUH! WE SHOULD LIMIT ITS POTENTIAL!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Plus, if Wiis were readily available in Japan, I'm sure one of the GAFers in Japan would have a thread about it right away.

santouras

PantherLotus said:
Dude, what ARE you? Alas, you grow weary? WTF are we in character now? C'mon man.

WTH are you on about "limiting the console's potential" bullshit? You're the guy with silly as shit cheesburger onion ring analogy, right? Can you make the same amount of cheesburgers and onion rings every single day? Do you rely on other people for buns? Did some guy call in sick? What if you run out of cheese? Why do you think the Wii is a GameCube with pickles? Is it possible that your max capacity for cheeseburger making is completely dependent on outside factors and has absolutely zero to do with demand?

Dude you try so hard to sound smart with the big words and alas i grow weary line but this continued non-understanding of simple production/shipping issues (and the ups and downs therein) is breathtaking in its naiveté.

So what conclusion do you come up with? DEMAND MUST BE GOING DOWN! DUH! WE SHOULD LIMIT ITS POTENTIAL!
nicely said

joe-applause.GIF

Jiggy

PantherLotus said:
You're the guy with silly as shit cheesburger onion ring analogy, right? Can you make the same amount of cheesburgers and onion rings every single day? Do you rely on other people for buns? Did some guy call in sick? What if you run out of cheese? Why do you think the Wii is a GameCube with pickles? Is it possible that your max capacity for cheeseburger making is completely dependent on outside factors and has absolutely zero to do with demand?

So much ownage in such a short time.

mj1108

PantherLotus said:

/thread

How are you going to tell me #1 is what we know if that's the exact thing I don't believe? The other points make sense and may point to the fluctuating sales of the Wii, but is still speculation (big titles for Wii being what? The least-selling training game and Super Paper Mario?).

You're preaching to deaf ears, so the subject can be dropped. I'll wait for Nintendo press statements to tell me what we should know.

Inhumanility said:
How are you going to tell me #1 is what we know if that's the exact thing I don't believe?
Truth is absolute, not relative. Whether you choose to accept it or not is obviously another discussion entirely.

Fady K

Man, things get out of hand at every sales thread :(

Glad to see a PS3 game doing well, and good for Monster Hunter P2.

Happy about Layton's performance.

I like this weeks top 10

Terrell

cvxfreak said:
If you don't believe it's sold out, you're simply being ignorant or in denial. Nothing more, nothing less.
Since this is coming from a guy who (if I remember right) actually LIVES in Japan and kinda knows the score... I think this, first and foremost, should solidify the things he says. I mean, we have numbers and evidence from GAF readers who actually reside in that region that the numbers aren't lying. If it were JUST anecdotal evidence, I could see it being shrugged off... but when it appears to be backed up by extremely high sales numbers for hardware and software, I just can't see how there's any debate going on... unless someone's making a play to be the next joke-troller, and in that case, the positions have already been filled.

Inhumanility said:
How are you going to tell me #1 is what we know if that's the exact thing I don't believe?

you gave a reason to not believe number one and Pantherlotus refuted it. Therefore you have less of a reason to believe in it. Now you're main argument is that "We don't know its selling out FOR SURE" However we know this just as much as "We don't know its NOT selling out FOR SURE" so we should take into account reasons in order to determine which of these choices is more plausible. I'm not going to list the reasons, but rest assured, the idea of the wii selling out each week is the best explanation.

cvxfreak

Terrell said:
Since this is coming from a guy who (if I remember right) actually LIVES in Japan and kinda knows the score... I think this, first and foremost, should solidify the things he says. I mean, we have numbers and evidence from GAF readers who actually reside in that region that the numbers aren't lying. If it were JUST anecdotal evidence, I could see it being shrugged off... but when it appears to be backed up by extremely high sales numbers for hardware and software, I just can't see how there's any debate going on... unless someone's making a play to be the next joke-troller, and in that case, the positions have already been filled.

I actually don't live in Japan (until September if my plans roll out accordingly). I only visited two months ago, but I managed to snag a Japanese Wii literally as the stores was selling out of them. I was lucky.

Koren

cvxfreak said:
I actually don't live in Japan (until September if my plans roll out accordingly). I only visited two months ago, but I managed to snag a Japanese Wii literally as the stores was selling out of them. I was lucky.
I spend six weeks in Japan a couple of weeks ago, and didn't managed to see one in stores at all. Things could have changed now, I don't know.

That's not really better in France, they seems to sell everything they can ship, a friend of mine needed 18 shops to find one, and succeeded only because the last one hadn't put them on display yet, Wiis were still in the warehouse. It may depends on the place, still.

How is the availability in other european/american countries ?

Anecdotal evidence...

I live in Japan, right next to DenDen town, where there are plenty of game shops. I walk past these shops almost everyday and I'm constantly on a Wii hunt, so that I can complete my PSWii60. Since the launch of the Wii 4-5 months ago, I have only seen two on sale. Both were used, both were severely overly priced (about 30-40% more than retail) and both were gone on my next 'lap' through the shops. Demand is high, BELIEVE (although I'm sure you never will)

cvxfreak said:
I was lucky.
I know, BASTARD
sf.gif

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So, if these consoles are just sitting on shelves, and not selling, you'd think someone might be smart enough to buy a couple and sell'm on an online auction, yes?

Just for the record: No, I don't believe there are any Wiis avaliable.

Inhumanility said:
How are you going to tell me #1 is what we know if that's the exact thing I don't believe? The other points make sense and may point to the fluctuating sales of the Wii, but is still speculation (big titles for Wii being what? The least-selling training game and Super Paper Mario?).

You're preaching to deaf ears, so the subject can be dropped. I'll wait for Nintendo press statements to tell me what we should know.
Good start to your account here on GAF.
Welcome.

You can choose the left turn and believe the facts
or you can choose the right turn and argue your ignorant opinion and go the way of many before you.?

The choice is yours.!!

Top Bottom