• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

justjohn

those pictures were taken right after the event. if you read the blog thats what it says. this is shitaku so cant say i'm surprised

jimbo

Banned
Holy cow. Oblivion is STILL in the top 20 on Amazon.jp. It by far has surpassed any other 360 game released in Japan as far as legs go on Amazon. At least since I've been tracking it earlier this year, no 360 game has stayed on the front page a week after its release, and Oblivion actually fell all the way down to 16 last thursday, but somehow managed to actually gain 2 spots over the weekend instead of falling into...ahem...oblivion. Here's hoping it translates to a second week spot in MC.

Man if the PS3 version does just as well(relaitvely sepaking of course) could their combined sales make the best selling next-gen game in Japan be a multiplatform Western RPG with "BAD" art?

Cue gasps, shocks, awe. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/

Edit: Of course the fact that Forever Blue is only 2 spots under it could also further prove Amazon doesn't mean jack crap, and Oblivion won't see a second week spot in MC :(

jimbo said:
Holy cow. Oblivion is STILL in the top 20 on Amazon.jp. It by far has surpassed any other 360 game released in Japan as far as legs go on Amazon. At least since I've been tracking it earlier this year, no 360 game has stayed on the front page a week after its release, and Oblivion actually fell all the way down to 16 last thursday, but somehow managed to actually gain 2 spots over the weekend instead of falling into...ahem...oblivion. Here's hoping it translates to a second week spot in MC.

Man if the PS3 version does just as well(relaitvely sepaking of course) could their combined sales make the best selling next-gen game in Japan be a multiplatform Western RPG with "BAD" art?

Cue gasps, shocks, awe. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/

Edit: Of course the fact that Forever Blue is only 2 spots under it could also further prove Amazon doesn't mean jack crap, and Oblivion won't see a second week spot in MC :(
Or it could also mean that Forever Blue has legs, too ;)

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
To be fair, Bioshock has a good amount developer pedigree/cache over Lair and Heavenly Sword too. When looking at back catalogs and comparing System Shock 2 to Fung Fu Chaos or Rogue Leader, I can definitely see how Bioshock might be given more of a "free pass".

True, that might be, but still, not possible to say for sure how fun the games will be :) I'm sure they'll be great tho.

didn't see this on Thursday night.

What the hell is a GC game doing there?

Has Capcom actaully developed the game, or are they just publishing it?

If I were nintendo I would be manufacturing white GC boxes, that way, they could be marketed as Wii games, and have both Wii and GC logo's on the box. But dominantly Wii. Obviously for sales maximizing.

donny2112

the thoroughbred said:
Has Capcom actaully developed the game, or are they just publishing it?

It's a re-release of a game from 2003.

To go along with ethelred's "It's a Wonderful World" is a failure montage ...

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?o...k=view&id=6688&Itemid=50&limit=1&limitstart=2

According to several interviews in Famitsu, Tetsuya Nomura challenged "Subarashiki kono sekai" because he wanted to make his own game, full of original characters, with a new level of challenge and attitude he had been previously unable to squeak into his other games. Whether it's high art or not is irrelevant, though hey, I must admit that this game is kind of neat. It has pretty fresh graphics, a rather stupidly pleasant approach to dark storytelling (the main character has been CURSED, to DIE), and something of a Jet Set Radio approach to presentation, with a setting of Shibuya, Tokyo, and canned, hyperactive, low-fi pop loops filling in for music. The battle system is like something for fans of FF and DDR with ADD. You have to watch both screens as you play, and you have to listen to the music, feel the rhythm. The game has crunch and style, and it's about 16 trillion times more conceptually interesting than Kingdom Hearts.

The hardcore industry analysts in the audience all have one question, I imagine: Does this mean that Tetsuya Nomura is a genius? The straight answer: not exactly. Rather, what it means, from a critical standpoint, is that any man who loves videogames, should he have near 10 million sales under his belt and thus be trusted with a budget and the freedom to make whatever game he wants, will probably come up with something cool. Because, fundamentally: any game idea floating around in any thirteen-year-old's head could probably be as awesome, if more awesome, than most of the stuff people play these days, if some corporate entity would just throw enough money at it. "Subarashiki kono sekai" makes me think we should listen a tiny bit more to the thirteen-year-olds.

However, the game -- widely expected to debut at #1 -- instead debuted at #4, head-scratchingly beneath a drum game that requires you to avoid touching your handheld game system with either of your hands, runner up to a game on the "failed" PlayStation 3, loser to an underdog party game that, well, just happens to be for the Nintendo Wii. Steam is no doubt rising out of blood-red bald heads at Square-Enix's Tokyo headquarters as I type this. An executive is no doubt ordering his secretary to order an underling to type up a PowerPoint presentation that will, subtly, order Mr. Nomura to -- very, very quickly -- release something Kingdom-Hearts-branded, to make up for the time he wasted by releasing a game that didn't sell a million copies in its first week.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit, though really, I reckon someone at Square is pissed. This is a company that has, for the last decade, ridden the popularity of the Final Fantasy series and all things related. Final Fantasy's failure to attain worldwide block-shattering success in the motion picture industry is perhaps what curbed Square's enthusiasm toward branching out, and cemented in the executives' heads the idea that Final Fantasy is a videogame series, it is a popular videogame series, and it must continue being a videogame series in order for it to continue being a popular videogame series. In recent seasons, Square has tried to clandestinely promote the legacy of their other game series, such as the "Mana" series, by releasing clever spin-offs -- which all flopped at retail -- or even inspired actual sequels, like the somewhat excellent Dawn of Mana, which also flopped at retail. Someone at Square must have saw fit to cook up a PowerPoint that hypothesized that new IPs might be the future, and this is how "Subarashiki kono sekai" was born. The game, like Dawn of Mana, is a thousand and one shades of interesting, though its performance at retail is unfortunately less than astronomical. Like a pair of star-crossed lovers' parents, Square-Enix and the idea of the "fresh new IPs" will no doubt promptly resume their feud.

Innotech

Banned
jj984jj said:
As soon as I read this:

I knew it had to be Tim Rogers who wrote it.
Im not a FF fan, but I do have ADD. ADHD to be precise. so maybe this game might appeal to me. Then again, no RPG really ever has.

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
Didn't they only ship 150k?

I believe I read that it was ~40% sell-through of the initial shipment. That would put the initial shipment at ~190K. It's the idea of a "price collapse" on Monday that really put this game's selling expectations into light, though.

Laguna

Banned
Who expected it (It´s a wonderful world) to be 1st place? The author has realy no clue. Just a look at the shipment numbers for MP8 500k and 300k store-pre-orders for HSG5 (Sony second best selling franchise after Gran Tourismo in Japan) makes clear, that this would not happen.

That article is no more fact than it is a big ball of opinion.

- How could anyone (which I don't believe anyone DID) expect it to be #1 with a 200k shipment, and Mario Party/Minna no Golf debuting?
- Calls Mario Party 8 an underdog party game, and uses that as an insult because a new IP couldn't outsell it?

It's foolishness when I keep reading it. The rest of the article is "I think someone is angry at Square" "I think this will curb Square's new IPs" "I think it did bad" "It did less than astronomical success"

LanceStern said:

- How could anyone (which I don't believe anyone DID) expect it to be #1 with a 200k shipment, and Mario Party/Minna no Golf debuting?
- Calls Mario Party 8 an underdog party game, and uses that as an insult because a new IP couldn't outsell it?

It's foolishness when I keep reading it. The rest of the article is "I think someone is angry at Square" "I think this will curb Square's new IPs" "I think it did bad" "It did less than astronomical success"
Tales of the Tempest is comparable to Its a Wonderful World

Jokeropia

Personally, I think Nomura personifies the worst parts of the FF franchise so on a purely selfish basis I really don't mind his game 'failing'. :p

Joker, if IAWW was a hit, he'd have to focus on that full time and his influence on would FF would wane.

Now that his game "failed" (I think it did alright for a new IP, nothing smashing) he's probably going to go full tilt into FF again.

His happiness means your happiness. Karma. : p

cvxfreak

Can FFVII Crisis Core outsell FFIII?

I think it's indeed possible, seeing what happened with Monster Hunter Portable 2nd.

cvxfreak said:

I think it's indeed possible, seeing what happened with Monster Hunter Portable 2nd.
They sure are going to have a big opportunity, first week all the fans and even a limited bundle with the new PSP, second week new PSP bringing both old and new people to stores to find it as the hot PSP item. I want to know retailer orders and about the game quality though.

If this one doesn't make it to a million...PSP is going to need another MHP re-release to have 2 1-million sellers :lol , because SCEJ is too stupid to bring Gran Turismo 5 Portable and Minna no Golf Portable 2, which would be the only titles I can see reaching 1m. Oh, MHP3 but that still sounds far away...

Vinnk

Hey guys sorry to be gone for so long. First there was the typhoon and then I lost internet for a few days. But I am safe and so is my town.

As for this week, I will be attending a conferance during the days I normally go to the stores and post the report. I will still try to do a report this week but it might not come until saturday. Sorry about that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vinnk said:
Hey guys sorry to be gone for so long. First there was the typhoon and then I lost internet for a few days. But I am safe and so is my town.

As for this week, I will be attending a conferance during the days I normally go to the stores and post the report. I will still try to do a report this week but it might not come until saturday. Sorry about that.
No worries, take your time. MC threads aren't MC threads without Vinnk's Village but it isn't compulsory so don't push yourself.

Filter

LanceStern said:

ironic.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:

No. I think it'll do good to get to 750K. It'll give a bump to PSP hardware sales but less than MHP2's bump.

I think Gran Turismo Mobile (and MHP's slow climb) might be the only foreseeable shots the PSP has at another 1 million seller in Japan.

jimbo said:

I view Oblivion as a direct successor to games like Ultima III, which along with Wizardry are the reason that stuff like Final Fantasy exists. It is certainly fitting for Oblivion to get some traction in Japan, just as Ultima and Wizardry did back in the day.

jimbo

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I view Oblivion as a direct successor to games like Ultima III, which along with Wizardry are the reason that stuff like Final Fantasy exists. It is certainly fitting for Oblivion to get some traction in Japan, just as Ultima and Wizardry did back in the day.

Can't wait to see if it will chart again on MC.

Does anyone know what Trusty Bell's LTD is?

cvxfreak said:

Hard to say.

On the one hand, portable FF remakes/spinoffs have rarely done anywhere near as well as FFIII did, let alone on PSP.

On the other hand, this is the biggest FF-quel since X-2 and has been long-anticipated by the PSP crowd, so it's not very comparable to Revenant Wings, or FF1/2/T PSP.

super funk said:
What new games should we expect in this weeks software sales?

Final Fantasy XII International (PS2)
SD Gundam G Generation Crossdrive (DS)
DK Jungle Climber (DS)
Wild Arms Crossfire (PSP)

jimbo

Banned
ethelred said:
Less than the first week sales for It's a Wonderful World and Tales of the Tempest.

Thanks.

And yay, it's salesday today. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the software numbers.

Man if only the rest of Japan behaved like Amazon buyers, the 360 would be doing awesome in Japan. Now Katamari joined the pre-ordered fun.

Amazon JP Top 50:

Wii: 3 games
8. Mario Party 8: release date: out
12. Wii Sports: release date: out
44. Gundam: release date: out

360: 4 games
16. Oblivion: release date: out(tomorrow will mark 2 full weeks on top 20 post-release)
18. Halo 3: release date: 09/27/07
19. Beautiful Katamari: release date: 10/18/07
39. Ace Combat 6: release date: 11/1/07(the earliest a 360 game has maintained top 50 pre-release. It's been up for 2-3 weeks)

PS3: 0 games.

Xbox: 1(should just be attributed to the 360 )
37. Halo1&2 value pack: release date: 09/13/07

I wonder why 360 pre-orders generally do so well on Amazon? Do a lot of stores not order 360 games?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_pg_1/249-5527990-4492325?ie=UTF8&pg=1

Parl

jimbo said:
I wonder why 360 pre-orders generally do so well on Amazon? Do a lot of stores not order 360 games?

I think it's a mixture between shops not stocking many 360 games, and people to go to places where there's a decent selection. And also that the people who are buying 360 in Japan are probably pretty hardcore and I suspect they'd be the same type of people who like to order online because it's generally cheaper.

Top Bottom