• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Moor-Angol said:
Final Fantasy XII International (PS2)
SD Gundam G Generation Crossdrive (DS)
DK Jungle Climber (DS)
Wild Arms Crossfire (PSP)
I think he means on the chart coming out today.

jimbo

Banned
justjohn said:
why are you so obsessed with amazon japan numbers. seriously how many times an hour do you check up on it?

Just morning and evening. I am a salesage addict :(

Edit: Seriously I'm tracking to see if there's a correlation between length of time a 360 game charts on Amazon and its ability to chart on MC software charts. Basically so far, the trend has been that any 360 game that maintained a top 20 status on Amazon for longer than a month pre-release date, with at least a week in the top 10 right before release, has gotten a top 10 MC spot. So basically all of those 360 games, are top 10 MC candidates if they follow the same pattern. Now I'm following Oblivion to see if maintaining a top 20 post-release for a period of time, means a second week spot in MC.

Jokeropia

jimbo said:
Amazon JP Top 50:

Wii: 3 games
8. Mario Party 8: release date: out
12. Wii Sports: release date: out
44. Gundam: release date: out
Not that it matters, but you're missing Wii Play at #32.

Famitsu numbers...

DSL - 140,000
Wii - 63,000
PSP - 30,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 15,000
360 - 3,300

1. [Wii] Mario Party 8 - 150,000 (~430,000)
2. [PS2] J League WE - 140,000
3. [PS3] Minna no Golf 5 - 43,000(~220,000)
4. [NDS] Its a Wonderful World - 41,000(~120,000)
5. [Wii] Wii Sports - 27,000 (~1,840,000)

8. [NDS] Face Training - 23,000
17. [Wii] Forever Blue - 18,000

jimbo

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers...

DSL - 140,000
Wii - 63,000
PSP - 30,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 15,000
360 - 3,300

Whaaaa? Where's the complete chart? I want to see if Oblivion is anywhere on there.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers...

DSL - 140,000
Wii - 63,000
PSP - 30,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 15,000
360 - 3,300

Mario Party 8 and Minna no Golf 5 doing good for the 2nd week (well.. the previous numbers were only for 4 days or so, so some of these are also from the 1st week, but still :)).

Jokeropia

Mario Party has some nice legs. Pretty good second week for IAWW too. Forever Blue did alright. (18k is pretty high for #17.)

PS3 dropped from 38k (by Famitsu numbers) to 22k. I wonder if MC will be higher than Famitsu this week since they were 10k lower last time or if they'll be lower again.

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Not that it matters, but you're missing Wii Play at #32.

I wasn't sure if that's what that was a game or a peripheral. It didn't look like the other boxes, so I didn't want to look like a fool :lol

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. That it's still trucking along at a relatively high spot (and 41K second week sales) seems good, but there's a lack of new releases, plus we had the whole 'price collapse' thing...

The others seem standard, for what we know.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
justjohn said:
think i'll wait for mc numbers. famitsu numbers are always way off

Way off from what? It's not like Media Create numbers are perfect and Famitsu numbers should be treated as some sort of estimate. cvxfreak did a comparison a few years back where he found that Dengeki/Famitsu/Media Create each had highest and lowest sales numbers for a number of games.

Famitsu is also arguably better because we get the half-year and full-year charts and more complete data all around, and it existed before MC so we have earlier data including full data for the PS2 and earlier systems.

Parl

360 could reach 1,000,000 units sold by the end of next year if Lost Odyssey and a price drop can up its 'typical week' (not 'average week') sales from 3,300 to 4,600 in 2008.

The 'typical week' sales in 2006 was about 1,400, and here in 2007 it's 3,300. This seemed to be a lasting effect from Blue Dragon. If LO and a price drop can take that up to about 4,600, I believe 360 would hit 1 million by the end of next year.

If LO and a price drop don't lift 360 sales again to about 4,600 per 'typical week', then it'll probably hit the 1 million unit sales milestone later.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
At this point, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. That it's still trucking along at a relatively high spot (and 41K second week sales) seems good, but there's a lack of new releases, plus we had the whole 'price collapse' thing...

The others seem standard, for what we know.

It just means that it's more of a "Heroes of Mana" than a "Seiken Densetsu 4" in terms of sales.

Taker666

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers...

DSL - 140,000
Wii - 63,000
PSP - 30,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 15,000
360 - 3,300

Looks like Wii hardware sales are starting to slow down in Japan.

Nothing major coming out in the next couple of months for the Wii so I'd assume it will continue to decline.

On the plus side they will be able to switch more units to the US and build up a bit more stock for the holidays.

justjohn

Stumpokapow said:
Way off from what? It's not like Media Create numbers are perfect and Famitsu numbers should be treated as some sort of estimate. cvxfreak did a comparison a few years back where he found that Dengeki/Famitsu/Media Create each had highest and lowest sales numbers for a number of games.

Famitsu is also arguably better because we get the half-year and full-year charts and more complete data all around, and it existed before MC so we have earlier data including full data for the PS2 and earlier systems.
well last week famitsu had the ps3 at 38000 and it turned out they were 10000 off.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Taker666 said:

Nothing major coming out in the next couple of months for the Wii so I'd assume it will continue to decline.

On the plus side they will be able to switch more units to the US and build up a bit more stock for the holidays.

Yes, a decline from last week clearly established a trend.

jimbo

Banned
Parl said:
360 could reach 1,000,000 units sold by the end of next year if Lost Odyssey and a price drop can up its 'typical week' (not 'average week') sales from 3,300 to 4,600 in 2008.

The 'typical week' sales in 2006 was about 1,400, and here in 2007 it's 3,300. This seemed to be a lasting effect from Blue Dragon. If LO and a price drop can take that up to about 4,600, I believe 360 would hit 1 million by the end of next year.

If LO and a price drop don't lift 360 sales again to about 4,600 per 'typical week', then it'll probably hit the 1 million unit sales milestone later.

In before "you're insane", "ban him", "idiot", "moron" comments.

I agree 100%. The 360 looks to be on an upswing and with as many games as it has getting top spots for pre-order I see small incremental bumps of a couple of thousand until LO hits thanks to Oblivion, Halo 3, Katamari, and Ace 6. LO, IF GOOD, will carry it to over 600k by the end of January 08)

Taker666 said:

You're new at this I see.

Reasonable start for Face Training considering sales patterns for that type of game, and not bad for Forever Blue, though I’m hopeful it will at least break 50,000 eventually. Anyone got figures for Everblue 1+2 by way of comparison? Fantastic second week for Mario Party, and a decent second week for MnG, though I expect it to just make it over the initial shipment (300,000 wasn’t it?) eventually. I think you’ll see a similar pattern for all of the sequels to big PS2 titles that appear on the PS3 – as with the GameCube, big franchises are going to struggle to sell what they did on the previous systems.

Not bad second week sales for IAWW either – 120,000 in a fortnight for a new series isn’t too shabby.

jimbo

Banned
Hey Kurosaki, where did you get the numbers? Can you please let me know if Oblivion is on there anywhere?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Taker666 said:

We've got a live one!!

jimbo said:

I agree 100%. The 360 looks to be on an upswing and with as many games as it has getting top spots for pre-order I see small incremental bumps of a couple of thousand until LO hits thanks to Oblivion, Halo 3, Katamari, and Ace 6. LO, IF GOOD, will carry it to over 600k by the end of January 08)
I doubt many will jump on Parl with what Taker just said. I actually think there's a possibility the 360 could hit 1 million in around that time frame, but it's going to depend on a lot. If the 360 does hit a million, then uh, well, it's not exactly something to cheer about, but it's at least sending MS home with a "Participation" badge, which is better than last gen.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Parl said:

There is no price drop here.

Jokeropia

Defuser said:
Forever Blue Bomba?!? After all the GAF hype?
Actually it's easily outperforming Everblue 1 & 2:

EverBlue (2001):
Aug 6-12 - 6958 / NEW
Aug 13-19 - 5422 / 12380
Estimated LTD: ~30,000

EverBlue 2 LTD: 10,780

jimbo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I doubt many will jump on Parl with what Taker just said. I actually think there's a possibility the 360 could hit 1 million in around that time frame, but it's going to depend on a lot. If the 360 does hit a million, then uh, well, it's not exactly something to cheer about, but it's at least sending MS home with a "Participation" badge, which is better than last gen.

Yeah take a look a couple of pages back when I made the same statement.....actually take a look at all the MC create threads this year, when I made the same statements.....I get bashed on a weekly basis here for saying that.

No problem though....I am working on my crow collection, because it needs to be huge to feed so many mouths come the 1 million mark.

sp0rsk said:

It really won't need one to do 4600 per week.

C.T.

Taker666 said:

jumping to conclusions? Supply constrained? A decline is a PERIOD of slowing sales, like the ps3 after the launch. Say that again after months of slowing Wii sales. I personally doubt it will happen. Still, in relation to the competition...

Culex

Banned
Taker666 said:

Wii sales went as low as 48k a few months ago and that didn't signal a trend in declining sales.

Parl

jimbo said:

Well, I predict about 375,000 for 2007. Which makes it what? It can do 50k in Jan, so it 600k by the end of Jan is what I'm also looking at. It just depends on the impact these titles make along with a probable price drop. Of course, it'd seriously help if LO and Ace Combat are actually good.

sp0rsk said:

I know there's no announced price drop, but I'm figuring they'll probably end up having one. It might not need it though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
If the 360 does hit a million, then uh, well, it's not exactly something to cheer about

That's true. But the point is that it seemed like most people thought it was ridiculous to claim 360 is gonna have a million by the end of its life. I think it can achieve that by the end of next year, which is nothing to shout about. I mean, me and others who think it has a good chance of reaching a million are saying "it has a good chance of selling just less than a quarter the GameCube did".

justjohn

Taker666 said:
Looks like Wii hardware sales are starting to slow down in Japan. Nothing major coming out in the next couple of months for the Wii so I'd assume it will continue to decline.

:lol you better run

jimbo

Banned
Parl said:
Well, I predict about 375,000 for 2007. Which makes it what? It can do 50k in Jan, so it 600k by the end of Jan is what I'm also looking at. It just depends on the impact these titles make along with a probable price drop. Of course, it'd seriously help if LO and Ace Combat are actually good.

BD sold ~150k between Nov, Dec and Jan last year. So if LO does at least that, it = 550k not counting August, September and October which is about 13 weeks give or take.

So 13 x 3300 = 43000. Add it together and you've got 593,000 estimated LTD by January of 08.

Of course all this depends on if LO is good or not in order to replicate the BD effect. I also expect it to average over 3300 in Sept and Oct though.

Wost case scenario = 500k LTD by the end of the year.
Middle of the road = 600k LTD end of January of 08.
Best case scenario(Meaning LO BIGGER than BD + PRICE DROP) = 650-700k LTD end of January 08

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
Pretty good second week for IAWW too.

Not really. We expected it to continue selling in the second week. This isn't a shock. That's why retailers slashed the price down, so people would buy it.

The game is still, though, just selling out its first retail order on a major discount and is (almost certainly) never going to get a second retail order.

Cosmonaut X said:
Not bad second week sales for IAWW either – 120,000 in a fortnight for a new series isn’t too shabby.

But it is pretty shabby if we, again, look at the numbers for the actual new series that Square Enix has created in the past instead of just imagining what a new series should be limited to.

Taker666 said:

you're going to be quoted quite a bit for posting this lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
capslock said:
Yes, a decline from last week clearly established a trend.

Actually its been a decline the last 4 weeks (if you count this week).

7/9 - 7/15: 109,854
7/16 - 7/22: 86,786
7/23 - 7/29: 77,169
7/30 - 8/5 : 63,000 (Famitsu numbers)

That said, i think its too early to say if this is a trend or not. Next week's Wii hardware numbers might be 100k for all i know.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Not really. We expected it to continue selling in the second week. This isn't a shock. That's why retailers slashed the price down, so people would buy it.
I'm just looking at the relatively small dropoff, which is especially small for an RPG. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see if it's just holding on temporarily due to the discount or not.

Parl

jimbo said:
BD sold ~150 between Nov, Dec and Jan last year. So if LO does at least that, it = 550k not counting August, September and October which is about 13 weeks give or take.

So 13 x 3300 = 43000. Add it together and you've got 593,000 estimated LTD by January of 08.

Of course all this depends on if LO is good or not in order to replicate the BD effect. I also expect it to average over 3300 in Sept and Oct though.

LO's effect on sales doesn't need to be as great as BD's. 360 was selling 1,400 in a typical week last year, and this year it's at about 3,300. Even if LO increases 360 sales by a lower percentage to what BD did, 360 can still easily sell more units Nov/Dec/Jan than it did with BD last year.

As soon as we see what it does by the end of Jan 08, we are much better able to see what it can do by the end of next year. I'm firmly with huge potential for 1 million.

Expected numbers for everything except Face training. That's the lowest debut for any training game. But like any training game, I expect it to have insane legs. Oh and we'll see ethelred's IAWW theory after the initial shipment sells out. To restock or not to restock? That is the question.

Jokeropia

test_account said:

110k was a bump due to DQS. Before that it hovered around 50-65k for most of May-June.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:

That said, i think its too early to say if this is a trend or not. Next week's Wii hardware numbers might be 100k for all i know.

Are we still having this argument? It's so obvious that weekly numbers are completely supply dependant.

BishopLamont said:
Expected numbers for everything except Face training. That's the lowest debut for any training game. But like any training game, I expect it to have insane legs. Oh and we'll see ethelred's IAWW theory after the initial shipment sells out. To restock or not to restock? That is the question.

They already had a price drop - presumably to clear stock from shelves.

Why would they want more IAWW cartridges, then?

Pureauthor said:
They already had a price drop - presumably to clear stock from shelves.

Why would they want more IAWW cartridges, then?

Like I said, after the intial stock clears out, what if word of mouth of word is good and there is demand. Will they not restock? 150k is the first shipment right? It's at 120k now, next week will mean all it's stock is cleared.

jimbo

Banned
Parl said:
LO's effect on sales doesn't need to be as great as BD's. 360 was selling 1,400 in a typical week last year, and this year it's at about 3,300. Even if LO increases 360 sales by a lower percentage to what BD did, 360 can still easily sell more units Nov/Dec/Jan than it did with BD last year.

As soon as we see what it does by the end of Jan 08, we are much better able to see what it can do by the end of next year. I'm firmly with huge potential for 1 million.

yeah I know, I gotta play it low though, otherwise if I sound too positive about the 360, the GAF MC regulars will start flaming....I think I can hear PantherLotus and Starship coming.....

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
But it is pretty shabby if we, again, look at the numbers for the actual new series that Square Enix has created in the past instead of just imagining what a new series should be limited to.
Sure, but then I doubt an outsourced side project like IAWW really demanded the same sort of investment as even similar scale platform debuts like Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile or Vagrant Story way back... that sort of comparison is pretty easily skewed in favor of the latter games. Hell, I doubt the investment's even on par with higher end 16bit debuts like Chrono Trigger or Star Ocean. Granted, the figures are still pretty dissapointing all things considered... Nomura/Jupiter likely would've been way better off just doing COM2.

Taker666 said:
Nothing major really coming out for any of the consoles actually...

PlayStation 3
08.23.07 Yamasa Digi World SP: Pachi-Slot Sengoku Musou (Yamasa)
08.30.07 Blade Storm: Hyakunen Sensou (Koei)
09.13.07 Megazone 23: Aoi Garland (Compile Heart)
09.27.07 Agarest Senki (Compile Heart)
09.27.07 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike)
10.11.07 Godfather: The Don's Edition (Electronic Arts)
10.11.07 Rise From Lair (SCEI)
10.25.07 Imabi Kisou (SEGA)
10.25.07 The Eye of Judgment: Bioloth Rebellion - Set.1 (SCEI)
11.01.07 G1 Jockey 4 (Koei)

Xbox 360
08.30.07 Hitman: Blood Money (Spike)
09.06.07 Fatal Inertia (Koei)
09.13.07 Musou Orochi (Koei)
09.20.07 Madden NFL 08: English Edition (Electronic Arts)
09.27.07 Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)
10.11.07 Operation Darkness (Success)
10.11.07 Project Gotham Racing 4 (Microsoft Game Studios)
10.18.07 Beautiful Katamari (Namco)
10.18.07 ZOIDS Alternative (Takara Tomy)
11.01.07 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka (Namco)

Wii
08.23.07 Sharuui * Takoron (Compile Heart)
09.13.07 SSX Blur (Electronic Arts)
09.20.07 Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
09.20.07 Sengoku Musou Katana (Koei)
09.27.07 Bass Fishing Wii: Rokumaru Densetsu (Arc System Works)
09.27.07 Boku to Sim no Machi (Electronic Arts)
09.27.07 Kekkaishi: Kokubourou no Kage (Bandai)
09.27.07 Opoona (Koei)
10.04.07 Dragon Ball Z: Sparking Meteor (Bandai)
10.04.07 Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii (Konami)
10.25.07 Dane Dance Revolution! Hottest Party (Koanmi)
10.25.07 Ghost Squad (SEGA)
10.25.07 Takarjima Z: Barbaros no Hihou (Capcom)

...all three seem fairly middle of the road in terms of creator/franchise game prestiege until later in the year (ie: Mario Galaxy, Lost Odyssey,Smash Brawl, WE11, DMC4, Chocobo Wii, etc).

jimbo

Banned
jarrod said:
Sure, but then I doubt an outsourced side project like IAWW really demanded the same sort of investment as even similar scale platform debuts like Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile or Vagrant Story way back... that sort of comparison is pretty easily skewed in favor of the latter games. Hell, I doubt the investment's even on par with higher end 16bit debuts like Chrono Trigger or Star Ocean. Granted, the figures are still pretty dissapointing all things considered... Nomura/Jupiter likely would've been way better off just doing COM2.

Nothing major really coming out for any of the consoles actually...

PlayStation 3
08.23.07 Yamasa Digi World SP: Pachi-Slot Sengoku Musou (Yamasa)
08.30.07 Blade Storm: Hyakunen Sensou (Koei)
09.13.07 Megazone 23: Aoi Garland (Compile Heart)
09.27.07 Agarest Senki (Compile Heart)
09.27.07 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike)
10.11.07 Godfather: The Don's Edition (Electronic Arts)
10.11.07 Rise From Lair (SCEI)
10.25.07 Imabi Kisou (SEGA)
10.25.07 The Eye of Judgment: Bioloth Rebellion - Set.1 (SCEI)
11.01.07 G1 Jockey 4 (Koei)

Xbox 360
08.30.07 Hitman: Blood Money (Spike)
09.06.07 Fatal Inertia (Koei)
09.13.07 Musou Orochi (Koei)
09.20.07 Madden NFL 08: English Edition (Electronic Arts)
09.27.07 Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)
10.11.07 Operation Darkness (Success)
10.11.07 Project Gotham Racing 4 (Microsoft Game Studios)
10.18.07 Beautiful Katamari (Namco)
10.18.07 ZOIDS Alternative (Takara Tomy)
11.01.07 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka (Namco)

Wii
08.23.07 Sharuui * Takoron (Compile Heart)
09.13.07 SSX Blur (Electronic Arts)
09.20.07 Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
09.20.07 Sengoku Musou Katana (Koei)
09.27.07 Bass Fishing Wii: Rokumaru Densetsu (Arc System Works)
09.27.07 Boku to Sim no Machi (Electronic Arts)
09.27.07 Kekkaishi: Kokubourou no Kage (Bandai)
09.27.07 Opoona (Koei)
10.04.07 Dragon Ball Z: Sparking Meteor (Bandai)
10.04.07 Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii (Konami)
10.25.07 Dane Dance Revolution! Hottest Party (Koanmi)
10.25.07 Ghost Squad (SEGA)
10.25.07 Takarjima Z: Barbaros no Hihou (Capcom)

...all three seem fairly middle of the road in terms of creator/franchise game prestiege until later in the year (ie: Mario Galaxy, Lost Odyssey,Smash Brawl, WE11, DMC4, Chocobo Wii, etc).

I disagree. I think the games I bolded will see above typical sales. Maybe not groundbreaking numbers, but they're all worth keeping an eye on.

Top Bottom