• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

Parl

jimbo said:
yeah I know, I gotta play it low though, otherwise if I sound too positive about the 360, the GAF MC regulars will start flaming....I think I can hear PantherLotus and Starship coming.....

Indeed. I knew what might have headed my way by saying 360 could reach a million by the end of next year based on what people said about it doing it in its life. But I'm aware that many think it almost certainly won't happen, which I thought was something ripe for challenging strongly.

jarrod

Banned
jimbo said:
I disagree. I think the games I bolded will see above typical sales. Maybe not groundbreaking numbers, but they're all worth keeping an eye on.
Oblivion's blown it's load on 360 and AC6/BK are gonna be nerfed by 360's install base. H3 and mario Strikers will probably do comparatively well, but I don't think any of these games are really "major" releases.

jarrod said:
Oblivion's blown it's load on 360 and AC6/BK are gonna be nerfed by 360's install base. H3 and mario Strikers will probably do comparatively well, but I don't think any of these games are really "major" releases.

After seeing MP8's sale, I think any game with Mario in it will sell shitloads.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So might MP8 be the 3rd 1 Million seller for Wii? Pretty awesome second week sales...

jimbo

Banned
jarrod said:

I'm talking relative here. A 360 game doing > 50k is like a Wii game doing 300k in its first week.

As far as Oblivion, it will be interesting to see the type of gamers that own the PS3. The PS3's user base is much greater than the 360's so it has a good chance to do better than the 360 version.....but the only problem is it doesn't come out until September 27th. That's 2 months after the 360 version so you may be right. We'll see.

Jokeropia

I'm also interested in how Oblivion PS3 will do compared to the 360 version. A fairly large portion of 360 owners have shown to have a pretty western taste which I would assume aided the sales of Oblivion. I'm not sure if the PS3 userbase is the same.

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
I'm also interested in how Oblivion PS3 will do compared to the 360 version. A fairly large portion of 360 owners have shown to have a pretty western taste which I would assume aided the sales of Oblivion. I'm not sure if the PS3 userbase is the same.

Yea me too. Its sales on the PS3 should let us know if its the hardcore Japanese gamers that are showing more interest in Western games, or if its just the 360 user base. But again, it coming out 2 months later kind of ruins the experiment. If it sells well, it's one thing, but if it doesn't, then there's no way to really say that it's because of its user base or because of the late release causing interest to wane and more people to jump on the 360 version. Kind of sucks that they didn't release it at the same time. It would have no doubt helped Oblivion's overall popularity if it charted twice on two different platforms in the same week.

I just want to know if it charted again on Famitsu. Doesn't anyone know the answer? I don't understand why we got an incomplete list. I will hate having to wait for the MC chart tonight.

schuelma said:
Are we still having this argument? It's so obvious that weekly numbers are completely supply dependant.

Anyone who still blindly believes that the recent decline of Wii hardware sales is just a supply constraint issue is simply fanboyish. Wii's supply has been fine in Japan recently as we can see Amazon as well as some other major retailers being able to sell Wii at a regular price with enough stocks. The continuous decline of hardware sales after DQS and the fact that MP8 doesn't boost hardware sales clearly show that the demand of Wii in its current light-game-centric appeal has already saturated. Wii needs big titles and more games of different genre like DQS to boost hardware sales to a new level.

jarrod

Banned
BishopLamont said:
After seeing MP8's sale, I think any game with Mario in it will sell shitloads.
Mario Party's always sold "shitloads" though... MP8 may be tracking nicely ahead of past installments, but it's not like this series suddenly came out of nowhere.

jimbo said:
I'm talking relative here. A 360 game doing > 50k is like a Wii game doing 300k in its first week.
Sure, but that wasn't the original supposition. If we're talking "relative" success, then I'd adda few more titles actually (DBZ3, Treasure Island, Bladestorm, Powerpro, etc).

jimbo said:
As far as Oblivion, it will be interesting to see the type of gamers that own the PS3. The PS3's user base is much greater than the 360's so it has a good chance to do better than the 360 version.....but the only problem is it doesn't come out until September 27th. That's 2 months after the 360 version so you may be right. We'll see.
I think raw userbase numbers count less in this instance... 360's gaijun leaning base is probably the key factor in pushing Oblivion's sales so far. Besides, it's not as if EM suddenly sold more when it hit PS3 either, and that title was better positioned with the traditional PlayStation gamer even...

jimbo

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
Anyone who still blindly believes that the recent decline of Wii hardware sales is just a supply constraint issue is simply fanboyish. Wii's supply has been fine in Japan recently as we can see Amazon as well as some other major retailers being able to sell Wii at a regular price with enough stocks. The decline of hardware sales after DQS and the fact that MP8 doesn't boost hardware sales clearly show that the demand of Wii in its current light-game-centric appeal has already saturated. Wii needs big titles and more games of different genre like DQS to boost hardware sales to a new level.

Uh-oh. Dude, run. Seriously.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
AnimeTheme said:
Anyone who still blindly believes that the recent decline of Wii hardware sales is just a supply constraint issue is simply fanboyish. Wii's supply has been fine in Japan recently as we can see Amazon as well as some other major retailers being able to sell Wii at a regular price with enough stocks. The decline of hardware sales after DQS and the fact that MP8 doesn't boost hardware sales clearly show that the demand of Wii in its current light-game-centric appeal has already saturated. Wii needs big titles and more games of different genre like DQS to boost hardware sales to a new level.

it`s over, sell ur wiis.....

AnimeTheme said:

See what you done jimbo? Now people are using amazon as a source. :lol

Haunted

schuelma said:
So might MP8 be the 3rd 1 Million seller for Wii? Pretty awesome second week sales...
possibly. If it does a million, it will become the best-selling game in the series.

ripper

Bladestorm für X box 360 ? 30.08 ?

jarrod said:
Sure, but then I doubt an outsourced side project like IAWW really demanded the same sort of investment as even similar scale platform debuts like Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile or Vagrant Story way back... that sort of comparison is pretty easily skewed in favor of the latter games. Hell, I doubt the investment's even on par with higher end 16bit debuts like Chrono Trigger or Star Ocean. Granted, the figures are still pretty dissapointing all things considered... Nomura/Jupiter likely would've been way better off just doing COM2.

Nothing major really coming out for any of the consoles actually...

PlayStation 3
08.23.07 Yamasa Digi World SP: Pachi-Slot Sengoku Musou (Yamasa)
08.30.07 Blade Storm: Hyakunen Sensou (Koei)
09.13.07 Megazone 23: Aoi Garland (Compile Heart)
09.27.07 Agarest Senki (Compile Heart)
09.27.07 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike)
10.11.07 Godfather: The Don's Edition (Electronic Arts)
10.11.07 Rise From Lair (SCEI)
10.25.07 Imabi Kisou (SEGA)
10.25.07 The Eye of Judgment: Bioloth Rebellion - Set.1 (SCEI)
11.01.07 G1 Jockey 4 (Koei)

Xbox 360
08.30.07 Hitman: Blood Money (Spike)
09.06.07 Fatal Inertia (Koei)
09.13.07 Musou Orochi (Koei)
09.20.07 Madden NFL 08: English Edition (Electronic Arts)
09.27.07 Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)
10.11.07 Operation Darkness (Success)
10.11.07 Project Gotham Racing 4 (Microsoft Game Studios)
10.18.07 Beautiful Katamari (Namco)
10.18.07 ZOIDS Alternative (Takara Tomy)
11.01.07 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka (Namco)

Wii
08.23.07 Sharuui * Takoron (Compile Heart)
09.13.07 SSX Blur (Electronic Arts)
09.20.07 Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
09.20.07 Sengoku Musou Katana (Koei)
09.27.07 Bass Fishing Wii: Rokumaru Densetsu (Arc System Works)
09.27.07 Boku to Sim no Machi (Electronic Arts)
09.27.07 Kekkaishi: Kokubourou no Kage (Bandai)
09.27.07 Opoona (Koei)
10.04.07 Dragon Ball Z: Sparking Meteor (Bandai)
10.04.07 Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii (Konami)
10.25.07 Dane Dance Revolution! Hottest Party (Koanmi)
10.25.07 Ghost Squad (SEGA)
10.25.07 Takarjima Z: Barbaros no Hihou (Capcom)

...all three seem fairly middle of the road in terms of creator/franchise game prestiege until later in the year (ie: Mario Galaxy, Lost Odyssey,Smash Brawl, WE11, DMC4, Chocobo Wii, etc).

schuelma

AnimeTheme said:
Anyone who still blindly believes that the recent decline of Wii hardware sales is just a supply constraint issue is simply fanboyish. Wii's supply has been fine in Japan recently as we can see Amazon as well as some other major retailers being able to sell Wii at a regular price with enough stocks. The continuous decline of hardware sales after DQS and the fact that MP8 doesn't boost hardware sales clearly show that the demand of Wii in its current light-game-centric appeal has already saturated. Wii needs big titles and more games of different genre like DQS to boost hardware sales to a new level.

Oh my

Jeff-DSA

AnimeTheme said:

R to the OFL.

Remember when everybody tried to say this about the DS? Well, we all know how that turned out.

Taurus

AnimeTheme said:
Oh well, Wii had a good run in Japan.

Parl

cw_sasuke said:
it`s over, sell ur wiis.....

With Wii declining in interest rapidly, with PS3 all but dead, and with 360 set to sell MILLION by the end of next year. Japan has made its mind up.

BishopLamont said:
See what you done jimbo? Now people are using amazon as a source. :lol

Shinobi also casted the concern on the decline of Wii's hardware sales, unless you want to say he is an Amazon fanboy too :lol

jarrod said:
Mario Party's always sold "shitloads" though... MP8 may be tracking nicely ahead of past installments, but it's not like this series suddenly came out of nowhere.

So what is a major release to you? If Mario Strikers Charged sold same as MP8, would you consider that a major release?

AnimeTheme said:
Shinobi also casted the concern on the decline of Wii's hardware sales, unless you want to say he is an Amazon fanboy too :lol

Oh Sinobi too? Oh well it's really over then.

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
jarrod said:

So what is a major release to you? If Mario Strikers Charged sold same as MP8, would you consider that a major release?

He already said it. Galaxy, SSB, LO, GT5. Only the BIGGEST releases for each platform.

Me? I believe anything above 150k first week sales on Wii and PS3 to be major and anything over 40k on 360.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
AnimeTheme said:

Wii doomed. Next week sales 10k confirmed.

Guys, he's right. Why, just look at last week's numbers: Wii was actually outsold by adding together every other console below it. Just barely, but I think it speaks loud volumes: Japan is sick and tired of the Wii, and are ready to move on to parcheesi.

jimbo said:
He already said it. Galaxy, SSB, LO, GT5. Only the BIGGEST releases for each platform.

Me? I believe anything above 150k first week sales on Wii and PS3 to be major and anything over 40k on 360.

Yes I think anything above 150k is major, considering everything else pretty much flops.

The hell is wrong with the quote function!??!

Taurus

AnimeTheme said:
mc-weekly-line-35.jpg

No matter how hard I try to see it as you do, I don't see a declining trend there since all past 3 weeks have been better than 9 previous weeks before that. Please explain?

E: Also this week's Wii number was above post-holiday average which is currently 72,711.

EktorPR

The Sonybots are quickly drawn into action when they see "low" Wii sales numbers, but they are not putting things in perspective: after Minna no Golf 5, there is nothing *that* interesting for Japan coming for the PS3.

Taurus said:
No matter how hard I try to see it as you do, I don't see a declining trend there since all past 3 weeks have been better than 9 previous weeks before that. Please explain?

You forgot this week's sales at 63k. Oh and Sinobi....and amazon.

EktorPR said:
The Sonybots are quickly drawn into action when they see "low" Wii sales numbers, but they are not putting things in perspective: after Minna no Golf 5, there is nothing *that* interesting for Japan coming for the PS3.

It's not about the PS3 winning, it's about the Wii FAILING!!

jimbo

Banned
Taurus said:
mc-weekly-line-35.jpg

E: Also this week's Wii number was above post-holiday average which is currently 72,711.

There isn't. The Wii's just simply on a decline because it had a very long lasting hardware spike. It will settle around 50k-65k again and then it will start climbing as it has done in the past.

sankao

After seeing these Oblivion numbers, I think MS should try and make a Mass Effect bundle. It would be very amusing to see it outsell Blue Dragon.

jimbo

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Yes I think anything above 150k is major, considering everything else pretty much flops.

The hell is wrong with the quote function!??!

What do you mean? Works fine for me.

jimbo

Banned
sankao said:
After seeing these Oblivion numbers, I think MS should try and make a Mass Effect bundle. It would be very amusing to see it outsell Blue Dragon.

Probably not. Oblivion has solidified itself as a GREAT RPG over the past year. Mass Effect is unproven.

farnham

Banned
forever blue is probably suffering from the bugs that were reported...

well it is a good game and it outsold its predecessors... im only waiting for the european release now

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sinobi is much more concerned about Minna no Golf's drop in demand than Wii demand.

PS3 sales are already starting to drop again as well and it doesn't have any game that will bump it as much as MnG did for a while.

Taurus said:

All I said is a decline SINCE DQS. Anything before that is beyond what I wanted to say in my previous post.

And it's a 3-week-consecutive decline, which is rare since Wii's launch according to your chart.

AnimeTheme said:
All I said is a decline SINCE DQS. Anything before that is beyond what I want to talk about.

And it's a 3-week-consecutive decline, which is rare since Wii's launch according to your chart.
The PS3's precipitous freefall since the release of Minna no Golf is also troubling. By my calculations, in just over a month, it will be selling a scant 700 systems per week.

AnimeTheme said:
All I said is a decline SINCE DQS. Anything before that is beyond what I want to talk about.

Dude, what are you talking about? Anticipated games usually cause a spike for that system's sales before it goes back to normal levels. Do you not expect this to happen to the PS3 in the weeks after FFXIII's release?

schuelma

AnimeTheme said:
All I said is a decline SINCE DQS. Anything before that is beyond what I wanted to say in my previous post.

I guess you are being serious... sigh..

A closer look at the Wii chart will show weeks where sales went up when no noteworthy games are released at all- this clearly shows the Wii is very very shipment dependant for its numbers. The most likely explanation for the downward trend is that Nintendo released more Wii's for DQS and so have less units available the last few weeks.

EktorPR

AnimeTheme said:

It has been stated time and time again (read, child) that the sales previous to DQ Swords' release were in the 60,000's. So, your point is moot. What you're trying to discuss, has no motivation.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Segata Sanshiro said:
The PS3's precipitous freefall since the release of Minna no Golf is also troubling. By my calculations, in just over a month, it will be selling a scant 700 systems per week.
Wii demand declining, PS3 demand declining. Japanese game industry to collapse? :O

jimbo

Banned
AnimeTheme said:

Yeah but there's nothing to get alarmed about to the point where you can generalize it as interest waning. If they continue to drop and fall below 50k, then you might have a point and people won't jump on you. But right now it's a pretty expected and normal drop.

Besides, since both the PS3 and Wii are dropping, and 360's holding there should clearly be no more talk about those two platforms because the 360's inevitable takeover is just around the corner. So that's right sell your Wii's AND your PS3's ;)

Yeah, the Wii is doomed. I mean, even a Dragon Quest game only gave it a spike, then it went right back down...

...to PS2 levels. It's barely squeaking out "fastest selling home console ever" sales levels. Pathetic.

Top Bottom