• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/25 - 10/1

Soul4ger

Wow, that's a shock if they actually did manage to put 500,000 out. That hasn't been confirmed, but... Wow. Just over half that shipment.

donny2112

It looks like Pokemon had 95% sell-through.

Media-Create said:
消化率もそれぞれ95%以上と高く、品切れした店舗も多かった。

Google translation said:
Digestibility and 95% or more it was high respectively, the store where absence of stock it does it was many.

Edit:
30-50: PSP - 8, NDS - 6 30-50 is the new sweetspot.

cvxfreak said:
DSL 285,025

That was the DSL the week NSMB was released... odd how Pokemon couldn't surpass that. I guess it's because of the existence of games like Mystery Dungeon Blue and Ranger.

EDIT: Original DS 4,126 that week too.

More of a shipment problem imo

cvxfreak said:
DSL 285,025

That was the DSL the week NSMB was released... odd how Pokemon couldn't surpass that. I guess it's because of the existence of games like Mystery Dungeon Blue and Ranger.

You suppose that most of the people who bought Pokemon D/P had already bought a NDS to play the Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red or Pokemon Ranger ?

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
DSL 285,025

EDIT: Original DS 4,126 that week too.

Didn't I tell you DS doesn't need Pokemon? :)

cvxfreak

Stormbringer said:
You suppose that most of the people who bought Pokemon D/P had already bought a NDS to play the Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red or Pokemon Ranger ?

Not most, but a considerable amount. Both games (Blue for DS) have sold more than 600K in Japan, which attracts a considerable amount of hardware already. Add to that the previous games Trozei and Dash (Dash having sold 300K+ too).

I think that may be a partial, if relatively minor cause of people's perception of the numbers being too low.

Deku said:
Didn't I tell you DS doesn't need Pokemon? :)

I thought it was that Pokemon wouldn't be THE breakout hit for DS. ;) I'd say you were right either way.

Flakster99

Outstanding hardware numbers for this time of the year/month, Pokemon be damned.

Checking previous numbers for the PS, PS2, at any point during the year, when a FF or a DQ main franchise game was released, the hardware for the week was never, ever this high, much less for an entire month. http://www.vgcharts.org

This isn't Christmas folks, we'll have our OMG numbers in a few months. The DS, as popular as it is, is bending past traditions, yes - even Pokeman looks like it is back doing HUGE numbers, but some of you are asking, have expectations for the unreasonable.

Jonnyram

I hope noone's thinking that they haven't sold all their DS shipments... it's still impossible to find one anywhere.

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
I hope noone's thinking that they haven't sold all their DS shipments... it's still impossible to find one anywhere.

Thanks for the confirmation that things are still status quo as far as DS supply. This shortage should probably last until next Spring unless Nintendo's actually been saving DSs
*hopes*
for New Year's.

JPNHandhelds-3.png

Notice the shortage line. ;)

Jonnyram said:

Are you freaking serious? Man, it's impossible to meet demand for the DS when it comes to Japan.

KINGMOKU

Jonnyram said:
I find that hard to believe. I am not doubting what you may have seen, but I find it really hard to believe that Nintendo only shipped 275,000 DS's for the launch of Pokemon.

There should be an assload of them to be found.

donny2112

moku said:
I find that hard to believe. I am not doubting what you may have seen, but I find it really hard to believe that Nintendo only shipped 275,000 DS's for the launch of Pokemon.

So, how's Egypt this time of year?

enishi

Chris Michael said:
I think people need to realize that every single individual in Japan already has at least 2 DS systems.

Not yet, DS LTD < GBA LTD
, unless everyone in Japan owns each of GBA, GBASP and GBM :p

enishi

moku said:

Because most factories working for Nintendo are manufacturing Wii.

KINGMOKU

donny2112 said:
So, how's Egypt this time of year?
:lol

I understand the comment, I just find all of this DS shortage, Plastic shortage, craziness as just that, craziness.

I mean the only reason I can think of for Nintendo to only release 275,000 DS units is becuase thats all they had.

How is that possible? They are producing 550,000 units a week, correct? (2.2million a month) I know the DS has picked up steam in the States, and is selling pretty good in Europe, but they couldnt just short a shipment bound for the States?

Unless of course the demand in the States and Europe has stayed high since the release of the DSlite.

Where did all those reports of 500,000 DS's hitting the streets come from then? Something is amiss here.

Jonnyram said:

no way check the store keeper's basements they are like chipmunks harvesting acorns for winter

Deku

Banned
TheProfessor said:
To say Nintendo fans love their pokemons would be an understatement.

Not really :( The sales data seem to show the Ds audience is far more diverse than even some of us have assumed.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Man, people love to bitch.

Nintendo does need to make a deal with the devil or something to produce more systems.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
People keep thinking that these sales are unprecedented for just one territory. However, the GBA sold 35 million units in North America alone in five years - more than 1/3 the population of Japan. Nintendo has shown with the GBC and GBA that they are able to produce and ship millions of units in a short amount of time. (10 million units sold in both 2002 and 2003, again only in NA alone) Considering that the DS is tracking under the GBA worldwide, I call bullshit on these shortages claims. jonnyram, I'm calling you out. 3:30 sharp, by the swingset.

Also a big shout out to ioi for his website. I love having two flashy ads on your front page, a pop-under, an ad between your mainpage and the page I want to get to, and more ads when I finally get to the next page.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
moku said:

Yeah I find it interesting that the curve spikes at game releases. It there were serious shortages and demand outtripping suppy shouldn't the sales curve stay constant. The fact that it spikes tells me either Nintendo deliberetly holds it's units for big titles or that shortages are not as bad as we think. The problem I see with the prior is why as a manufacturer would I hold on systems that I know will sell regardless?

Anyway, wow at this rate the DS will reach the gamecube's total sales in a year in Japan alone.

Barf_the_Mog said:
---

Also a big shout out to ioi for his website. I love having two flashy ads on your front page, a pop-under, an ad between your mainpage and the page I want to get to, and more ads when I finally get to the next page.

:lol :lol :lol

money is the root of all evil

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Barf_the_Mog said:
People keep thinking that these sales are unprecedented for just one territory. However, the GBA sold 35 million units in North America alone in five years - more than 1/3 the population of Japan. Nintendo has shown with the GBC and GBA that they are able to produce and ship millions of units in a short amount of time. (10 million units sold in both 2002 and 2003, again only in NA alone) Considering that the DS is tracking under the GBA worldwide, I call bullshit on these shortages claims. jonnyram, I'm calling you out. 3:30 sharp, by the swingset.

Different system and different circumstances. North America's population was at least 3 times as big as Japan, so the allocated GBA units were probably a lot more. Nintendo has obviously had problems producing the DSL, otherwise they would put out 500,000 units a week in Japan and be done with it. We'll just have to settle for 200k+ weeks.

*sigh*

Xeke

Banned
Deku said:
Not really :( The sales data seem to show the Ds audience is far more diverse than even some of us have assumed.

Maybe so, but it's first week sales are only for 4 days(I think) and it has sold better then the previous two iterations in its first week.

Deku

Banned
Xeke said:
Maybe so, but it's first week sales are only for 4 days(I think) and it has sold better then the previous two iterations in its first week.

Yea true, but it was all getting hyped up as this huge thing, which it is, but obviously not a big as some people think, perhaps because the userbase aren't all just buying Pokemon.

I think on balance its good for the DS. A varied and diverse userbase is a healthy one.

C4Lukins

donny2112 said:
DSL 274,389
PS2 31,992
PSP 25,319
Xbox360 2,195
GBASP 1,811
GBM 1,103
GC 523
DS 253
GBA 10
Xbox 3

360 is really completely insignifigant. I was in denial, but damn, nothing to say about it now. Between the Dead Rising release, four solid 360 JRPG announcements with signifigant media to back them up...... I think they are actualy pretty much dead. The stage after denial is acceptance right? I am there now.

Barf_the_Mog said:

Or it could be Nintendo deliberately creating shortages in hopes of manifesting all this hype. They've done that in the past, you know. Either way, I seriously doubt these "low" numbers are indicative of declining demand for the DS Lite.

Xeke

Banned
Deku said:
Yea true, but it was all getting hyped up as this huge thing, which it is, but obviously not a big as some people think, perhaps because the userbase aren't all just buying Pokemon.

I think on balance its good for the DS. A varied and diverse userbase is a healthy one.

I totally agree with that. Does anyone know how many GBA units were in the market when pokemon released on it?

cvxfreak said:
HOLY ****ING CRAP

DSL 274,389
PS2 31,992
PSP 25,319
Xbox360 2,195
GBASP 1,811
GBM 1,103
GC 523
DS 253
GBA 10
Xbox 3

Why do you hate gaming japan? Why?

Makes some sense though, if PS is only #29 its not gonna increase sales much. And Dead Rising is behind counters so I would assume its mostly selling to people that already own.

enishi

moku said:
Where did all those reports of 500,000 DS's hitting the streets come from then? Something is amiss here.

From someone unknown in 2ch, probably a trolling post there :)

It happens everyday, like
Chrono DS
:(

cvxfreak

Xeke said:
I totally agree with that. Does anyone know how many GBA units were in the market when pokemon released on it?

GBA sold 147,898 systems when Pokemon came out on it. That's fairly typical for the DS now. :lol

C4Lukins said:
360 is really completely insignifigant. I was in denial, but damn, nothing to say about it now. Between the Dead Rising release, four solid 360 JRPG announcements with signifigant media to back them up...... I think they are actualy pretty much dead. The stage after denial is acceptance right? I am there now.

Just wait until the week after the PS3 launches.

The 100k from week one will sell out for sure (95,000) and I doubt sony will have another large shipment ready for week two (if they did, the systems would go to week one). So... X360 and PS3 will be pretty competetive for one week.

(and yeah, just that one week)

Jonnyram

C4Lukins said:
I can't do it, I really can't. I think they're waiting for the core pack or BD/core bundle. Believe!

Another thing you have to understand about DS shortages... Nintendo also is knii-diip in Wii production too. If that takes off, they'll have two successful pieces of hardware to manage. I think most people are in agreeance that Nintendo should have done something for the DS by now, since it's been sold out since March, but even if they build new manufacturing plants, they can't turn stuff like that around in 6 months. Maybe we'll see things improve in Spring next year. I'm not expecting a smooth ride over Christmas/New Year though, unless they are stockpiling for that already.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:

GBA sold 147,898 systems when Pokemon came out on it. That's fairly typical for the DS now. :lol

Based on your numbers from page 1.
GBA

1,245,003 (Ruby/Saffire Sales) / 6,548,092 = 19.01% of the existing base bought a Pokemon game at launch

DS
1,575,266 / 11,439,351 = 13.77% of the existing userbase bought a Pokemon game at launch.

So that although DS versions broke records as the biggest launching Pokemon game, it didn't sell to the largest share of the platform's userbase.

Will be interesting to follow this trend in this coming weeks.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I can't do it, I really can't. I think they're waiting for the core pack or BD/core bundle. Believe!

Another thing you have to understand about DS shortages... Nintendo also is knii-diip in Wii production too. If that takes off, they'll have two successful pieces of hardware to manage. I think most people are in agreeance that Nintendo should have done something for the DS by now, since it's been sold out since March, but even if they build new manufacturing plants, they can't turn stuff like that around in 6 months. Maybe we'll see things improve in Spring next year. I'm not expecting a smooth ride over Christmas/New Year though, unless they are stockpiling for that already.

Even if Nintendo did try to open new manufacturing plants (like they did in 2004), procuring enough damn plastic cases and cards and other manufacturing supplies will also have to be done as well. I don't think the actual manufacturing plants are the true problem, but material supply.

Deku said:
Based on your numbers from page 1.
GBA

1,245,003 (Ruby/Saffire Sales) / 6,548,092 = 19.01% of the existing base bought a Pokemon game at launch

DS
1,575,266 / 11,439,351 = 13.77% of the existing userbase bought a Pokemon game at launch.

So that although DS versions broke records as the biggest launching Pokemon game, it didn't sell to the largest share of the platform's userbase.

Will be interesting to follow this trend in this coming weeks.

Definitely. If the DS were to hit a maximum of 20 Million units for its Japan userbase (not saying it will stop here, but just saying), then Nintendo would have to sell ~7 Million copies of Diamond and Pearl to match Ruby and Sapphire's ~33% GBA penetration. I think it's possible.

Deku

Banned
I think the DS' 2006 explosion in sales was unforseen, but its a good thing as it means Nintendo's DS production line are probably at 100% capacity. Its good for them from a profitability stand point.

If sales don't grow too much and remain stable and very strong like it is, Nintnedo is unlikey to expand production significantly becone their current 2.2-2.4 million. At this rate, they are producing 26.4~28.8million DS lites every year, that's at amazing quantity and if all of that production sells, the DS will more than double its userbase by this time next year.

The one outside influence is NA/EU performance. DSL had a very good summer and the momentum seems to be with the machine. There's significant room for growth in both markets and if those market explode, then, I think you'll see Nintendo go to 3-4 million production a month, at least on a temporary basis in 2007.

I also think 2007 will be the DS lite's peak year. More specifically, Summer 2006 to Winter 2007 will be the best performing period for the DSL. On the same token, Japan may be ahead of the curve of the product lifecycle, so that sales may actually slow in Japan as they accelerate in the west, which would allow Nintendo to shift production without significantly bumping production.

safe to say we'll be looking at 50-55 million LTDs in Oct 2007.

I like the fact that Pokemon wasn't quite the dealy nuclear drop everyone assumed it would be. That percentage talk from above shows me that, while it performed huge as can be expected of a big franchise, the DS' audience is a newer one; an audience that has been drawn in by non-traditional games and fresh experiences. It's like the rare moment in today's world when good is rewarded with good.

Top Bottom