• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

serplux

New IP doing well on Vita was my only thought. Whether third parties see this as more just a first party doing well might change things. But its not like this doesn't suggest a possible means to extend the brands followers.

Soul Sacrifice did what it did due to Sony's major promotion/marketing/bundles. I doubt any third-party would match that for a new IP.

test_account

XP-39C²
Copycat who isn't nothing like the one "copied".
Soul Sacrifice was painted as being the alternative to Monster Hunter since Monster Hunter 4 didnt come to the Vita. I guess that is why many think that Soul Sacrifice is an identical game to Monster Hunter in terms of features. There are some similarities of cousre, but i wouldnt call it a copycat.

Sadist

ik9wfYGwapVjN.gif

test_account

XP-39C²
That's only 1 example and it's from the same original developers.
It doesnt matter that much who the developers are as long as the games are fun to play, and you did say that you've never seen it :) But i only wanted to show where one serie that are similar to another became a big hit. You can apply many games like this. Super Mario Bros 1 wasnt the first scrolling platform game where you jumped and fought enemies, but i dont concider Super Mario Bros 1 to be a copycat because of that.

I dont concider Call of Duty as a copy cat of Medal of Honor either (especially not in the recent times with Modern Warfare and Black Ops), i concider it to be a similar game in the same genre. Copycat sounds like it is a carbon copy, and it sounds like something negative, at least in my opinion.

Elios83

Really good results for Vita, it's clear that with the right software the platform can make a comeback in Japan. Sony has to work hard with its partners and first parties to provide a decent flow of new releases. Other things like a hardware revision, new colors, etc will help as well.

I give it 2 weeks tops to go back to around 10k levels. I see nothing on he horizon to keep that "momentum".

I'll remember this quote in 2 weeks. The month has some ports coming like Steins;Gate, DOA5+, Atelier Meruru and what could be the biggest of them all: OP Kaizoku Musou 2.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know how many people will be interested, but we have a release date and a price for Gyrozetter RPG for 3DS.

June, 13th, 5,940 Yen

What I would have never predicted in a million years was for 3DS sales to plummet like that and the Vita to OUTSELL the 3DS. Unbelievable.

If the 3DS is plummeting, then the Vita is only a little bit closer to the sun. The difference being that Daedalus only bothered to give one of them a pair of wings that weren't made of wax.

serplux

I don't know how many people will be interested, but we have a release date and a price for Gyrozetter RPG for 3DS.

June, 13th, 5,940 Yen

Alright Squeenix, time to announce some of your holiday 3DS releases. Bravely Default 2/Dragon Quest XI probably isn't coming until next year, so what do you have?

So, you want Sony to openly compete with Android and Apple? I'm sorry, I can't see how that's a good idea. At all. Sony doesn't have the means to establish a new tablet/phone OS alongside the already established ones. Building up a new ecosystem is only going to cost them a lot of money, while failure is more than likely. If they want to establish the PlayStation brand on mobile and tablets, they are better off abandoning the Vita in order to concentrate full-force on PlayStation mobile with PlayStation branded Androd tablets aimed towards gamers.

That is where the market is headed in the west. Either Sony stand up and be counted or they let Vita fade away as a system and they exit the portable gaming market and hope that PSM takes off. As for PSM, it's such a mess. I have heard so many times about how many hundreds of projects are in development but clearly something is wrong because they trickle out at 1-2 releases per week. They need to have 5-10 games out every week and get every single major developer on board for non-game apps.

Your suggestions of moneyhatting new GTAs, CoDs and the MH franchise, while cutting the price and introducing phones and tablets is pretty much summed up by "Sony should just throw hundred of millions at the Vita!". How are they supposed to ever make that money back?

That's how they made PS3 a success, it's an absolute beast, and if people had suggested in Feb 2007 that it would go on to be the generation winner and end up shipping over 100m by the time it finishes up they would have been laughed out of the forum as SDF. For PS3 the losses were huge because the hardware was so expensive. With Vita the money will be remade from the services side. Stuff like PS+, Music Unlimited, Video streaming, Apps and indie games make a lot of money over the long term. Sony would basically be bringing forward spending from future revenues. Also, the idea of a cheaper Vita is literally ripped from their PS3 playbook, remove the unnecessarily expensive components (5" OLED) and release a cheaper more attractive device. The PS3 slim played an absolutely huge part in its turnaround, the same strategy would work wonders for Vita.

And why would Rockstar or Capcom even want to be moneyhatted? The resources that need to be put in a full-scale GTA game could better be used for a new GTA on actually successful hardware that is likely going to make them a better profit than even a moneyhatted GTA Vita ever would.

Why would Capcom want to change platforms? The 3DS is a striking success, MH3G sold nearly 2 million units despite being the third version of MH3. Even more, the success of the 3DS gives them the chance to actually expand the audience of MH4. MH4 will face the new situation that it'll release on a platform that is very popular among both the core and the casual audiences. Why would they give up on that for a platform that is so far only popular with Otakus? Even in the best case scenario MH4 Vita would only increase Vita's core audience, there's not even a slight chance that the MH franchise could grow on the Vita. Monster Hunter is a huge franchise, it's more important for Capcom to keep the franchise as relevant as possible than getting a moneyhat that might fill their pockets, but might actually hurt the long-term health of their franchise.

If Sony gave revenue guarantees to the publishers they wouldn't care. Seriously, it's all about the bottom line.

I think MH4 on PS4 and MHP4 on PSP/Vita and then MHP4thG on Vita exclusive would be what Sony would go for and Capcom would find acceptable.

I have also said a few times that Sony need to get serious about internal development for portables. Right now it is a complete joke, every portable game they make gets ported to the home console or is a multi-plat and doesn't work for portables. It's time for them to get serious about portable development and that means separating the development process and creating a new portable publisher within SCE with its own budgets and IPs.

I don't think I ever saw a copycat becoming a phenomenon.

Battlefield copied COD
Forza copied GT
Sonic copied Mario

Umm...why? The series has done excellently on the 3DS and already has a pretty big JRPG fanbase on it. Plus, Square Enix hasn't released a game on the Vita since launch (lol FFX HD).

Reach another audience and expand their new IP. Not a bad strategy, really.

Alright Squeenix, time to announce some of your holiday 3DS releases. Bravely Default 2/Dragon Quest XI probably isn't coming until next year, so what do you have?

Lots of games for the iOS.

serplux

If Sony gave revenue guarantees to the publishers they wouldn't care. Seriously, it's all about the bottom line.

I think MH4 on PS4 and MHP4 on PSP/Vita and then MHP4thG on Vita exclusive would be what Sony would go for and Capcom would find acceptable.

Yes they would care. It's all about expanding the reach of your franchise, and Capcom's best way of doing that is by putting MH on the 3DS. The franchise would notably shrink if it went exclusive to the Vita, and that would bode concern for the future. For a franchise as popular as Monster Hunter, you want to keep it mainstream, and the 3DS is the mainstream console.

Sony's recent push for the Vita has been extensive. At the few game shops I visited in the last two weeks, it has been the Vita and Soul Sacrifice sitting in the most prominent positions. I think this is a rather tepid result considering the effort but let's see what happens in the long run.

Wait is that really a good number for Soul Sacrifice? It's supposed to be the flagship title that's going to carry this console to the holidays and it did worse numbers than Bravely Default.

Zen

Banned
Yes they would care. It's all about expanding the reach of your franchise, and Capcom's best way of doing that is by putting MH on the 3DS. The franchise would notably shrink if it went exclusive to the Vita, and that would bode concern for the future. For a franchise as popular as Monster Hunter, you want to keep it mainstream, and the 3DS is the mainstream console.

If you're concerned about franchise growth (and the number for MH on 3DS seem to suggest it's not even growing on the 3DS) then you'd have it on both the 3DS for the mainstream market and the Vita for the core MH fanbase that bought it on PSP. Citing mainstream is a poor rational for why it would be 3DS exclusive. If you're looking to expand you don't cut out platforms. That's business 101.

Umm...why? The series has done excellently on the 3DS and already has a pretty big JRPG fanbase on it. Plus, Square Enix hasn't released a game on the Vita since launch (lol FFX HD).

Hmmmmmm

serplux

How do people think Luigi's Mansion 2 is going to do? Its coming out on the 20th, next Wednesday.

The original did 350k. I'd say it's going to be a notable step up, probably 550k plus lifetime.

If you're concerned about franchise growth (and the number for MH on 3DS seem to suggest it's not even growing) then you'd have it on both the 3DS for the mainstream market and the Vita for the core MH fanbase that bought it on PSP. Citing mainstream is a poor rational for why it would be 3DS exclusive. If you're looking to expand you don't cut out platforms.

I've explained many a time before why it is 3DS exclusive. Monster Hunter is a social game. If it releases on both 3DS and Vita, it would alienate the fanbase. Three people have a 3DS, one has a Vita. Those three can play MH together, Vita person is left out.

olimpia84

Look at those Vita numbers! Wonder how well the system will hold but it looks like people are enjoying SS over there

test_account

XP-39C²
It's not THAT different. Every gamers know that.
There are actually noticeably differences. Soul Sacrifice is much more magic based as far as i know, while Monster Hunter is more about weapon and armor crafting. I also think that Soul Sacrifice is more based around arena battles while Monster Hunter got maps to explore? I'm sure that someone can give a better description of the differences than me :)

Mario007

Wait is that really a good number for Soul Sacrifice? It's supposed to be the flagship title that's going to carry this console to the holidays and it did worse numbers than Bravely Default.

Counting in the double pack it did about the same. Also consider the massive difference in userbase. And no SS wasn't meant to carry Vita from March till holidays. No one in their right mind would have thought of that.

FoneBone

If you're concerned about franchise growth (and the number for MH on 3DS seem to suggest it's not even growing on the 3DS) then you'd have it on both the 3DS for the mainstream market and the Vita for the core MH fanbase that bought it on PSP. Citing mainstream is a poor rational for why it would be 3DS exclusive. If you're looking to expand you don't cut out platforms. That's business 101.
What is the evidence that the PSP MH fanbase is inherently loyal to Sony platforms?

So that's why Capcom have an exclusivity agreement with Nintendo, because that's why MH4 is on 3DS rather than MHP4 PSP. Seriously. It's all about money.

namDa65

Battlefield copied COD
Forza copied GT
Sonic copied Mario

Reach another audience and expand their new IP. Not a bad strategy, really.

Lots of games for the iOS.

Wait what? this post is full of misinformation. Battlefield came out a year before cod back in th early days.

Sonic plays not like mario...

Realistic racing games have been releasing for years...

Yeah, the similarity is interesting in that once the PS3 started losing or not gaining exclusives, Sony went nuts with making new IP. At the start of the PS3's life they had very little but now they have a substantial arsenal of IPs and developers going into the PS4.

Wonder how similar the scenario will be for the Vita. They are already off to a good start with Gravity Daze and Soul Sacrifice but they need to do more.

The Vita won't come anywhere near 3DS hardware sales but the latest numbers show that as long as good games come the system does sell and it can carve out a niche for itelf, existing with the 3DS side by side.

Lol. No. Sony has always had the largest stable of developers and constantly create new IP every generation. They didn't do anything different. Uncharted, Motorstorm, Lair, Heavenly sword, Resistance, Flow, Folklore and that is excluding the PSeye games. The largest influx of new IP from Sony for the PS3 was at the start of the PS3's life. They just kept the ball rolling with familiar franchises and kept on throwing a few new IP's in the mix to keep it fresh.

Still unsure about what is coming for the Vita as far as japan is concerned but I am sure that Sony will create new Ip as usual.

Cha

Gotta admit, I was kinda disappointed that Soul Sacrifice did 92K units. It's a good number but I was hoping for a bit mor....
*noticed teh United Front Double Pack at 22k*
*scrolls further*

^Yep. That about sums up my feelings :)

Top Bottom