• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2012 (Sep 17 - Sep 23)

saichi

Where are these people? The sales of PSP software has bottomed out, nothing is making big numbers and the hardware sales are also way down year over year. Just check the OP, PSP will be dead by then.

So you agree that no one cares about PSP? Good. The Vita audience bought Miku and Persona, they do buy software.

Regardless how bad PSP software sale is, it's still way healthier than VITA's software sales. That's not gonna change by the time GE2 is released.

Besides, there is no benefit for Namco Bandai to push VITA version while there is a PSP version. There is a 18+ million install base difference.

PSP may be a dead system, but it's still more alive than Vita. Both hardware and software sales in 2012 have been higher for PSP. So I can't see GE2 being a system seller for Vita when it's on PSP as well.

But one can only go up, the other will continue its downward spiral.

I'm sorry. ;_;

Hey, I love my PSP. Step off, bro.

I love my PSPgo too. Bro fist.

Regardless how bad PSP software sale is, it's still way healthier than VITA's software sales. That's not gonna change by the time GE2 is released.

Besides, there is no benefit for Namco Bandai to push VITA version while there is a PSP version. There is a 18+ million install base difference.

No one is buying new software on PSP. The device is currently being for used games mostly. It doesn't matter if they have 18 millions if all they buy is used games. Plus PSP hardware and software sales will continue decreasing, by 2013 it will be Vita :p

Culex

Banned
If the Vita sells ~10.5k each week for the next two weeks, it'll hit 1 million on week 40 of this year. That means it took the Vita 43 weeks to hit 1 million, including one holiday.

For comparison:

DS took 4 weeks, with one holiday

PSP took 14 weeks, with one holiday

3DS took 13 weeks, no holiday

This is absolutely ABYSMAL!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
No one is buying new software on PSP. The device is currently being for used games mostly. It doesn't matter if they have 18 millions if all they buy is used games. Plus PSP hardware and software sales will continue decreasing, by 2013 it will be Vita :p

You really don't know how bad Vita software sales are, right? It will need years for PSP to reach Vita's current software sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The most staggering thing about the comparison Vita v.s. Dreamcast is that...Vita started MUCH BETTER. Dreamcast did around 100k in its first week, while Vita did 325k. This means Vita really cratered after the launch, much more than Dreamcast. It's rather depressing.

Pikma

Banned
Disagree. How many people are going to buy the PSP to play this? How many would need to buy a Vita? It makes business sense for Sony to drive people to Vita because of their long term wellbeing, and they will.

No matter how much people like to believe this, God Eater is a game from Namco Bananas, Sony has nothing to do with it, and Namco Bananas want profit, how do they get to that? by selling copies, and how can they sell copies? by advertising and supporting all related to the game.

Having said that, it's hard to believe Namco will let the version with more projected sales die because they care about a lackluster platform that by itself wouldn't be able to reach sales expectations, not even close.

You really don't know how bad Vita software sales are, right? It will need years for PSP to reach Vita's current software sales.

So what do you suggest? Staying on a steady death path with the PSP & the Vita? Do nothing?

Cause the whole conversation is revolving about the hypothetical strategies (for me) that Sony could do to save the Vita. I only see reasons why they won't work but I never see any of you provide alternatives of what could work.

So I'll ask again what would you do?

jman2050

Disagree. How many people are going to buy the PSP to play this? How many would need to buy a Vita? It makes business sense for Sony to drive people to Vita because of their long term wellbeing, and they will.

Unfortunately for Sony, they don't make God Eater. Namco-Bandai does.

Why should they care about the Vita in lieu of their own game?

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm pretty sure that Bandai Namco will promote God Eater 2 just as much for the PSP and the Vita. I dont see any reason why to make any distinticion between the two versions when they both can easily be shown in the same adverticement. I also think that they will use Vita footage for it because that should look the best. I wont be surprised if Sony does a hardware PS Vita bundle with God Eater 2.

Even with PSP declining PSP/Vita YTD sw ratio is 5:1 with 6:1 in the end being very possible
This does not include download numbers, so the difference might be a bit smaller. The PSP ratio is still larger however, no doubt about that.

mclem

PS Vita still tracking ahead of Dreamcast, but only by 364 units. Needs to sell 19,322 units this week to stay ahead. Come on Vita, you can do it!

Wow, the DC line was practically flat around week 30. Was that an announced price cut that hadn't hit yet or something?

P90

If the Vita sells ~10.5k each week for the next two weeks, it'll hit 1 million on week 40 of this year. That means it took the Vita 43 weeks to hit 1 million, including one holiday.

For comparison:

DS took 4 weeks, with one holiday

PSP took 14 weeks, with one holiday

3DS took 13 weeks, no holiday

This is absolutely ABYSMAL!

The 3DS was launched a few weeks before an earthquake, a tsunami, and a massive nuclear meltdown that hit Japan. That probably had at least a small effect on sales.

Kazerei

Banned
Wow, the DC line was practically flat around week 30. Was that an announced price cut that hadn't hit yet or something?

Yep, there was a price cut at week 31 which visibly changed the rate of sales. I don't know when the price cut was announced though; possibly 2-3 weeks ahead of time given the sales dropoff.

Unfortunately for Sony, they don't make God Eater. Namco-Bandai does.

Why should they care about the Vita in lieu of their own game?
If Scamco cared about their own game, why is it PSP/Vita and not PSP/3DS?

There's heavy incentives at work here. Seems like since SCEI failed to secure Monhun, they went hard for the clones (PSO2, GE2, SoulSac).

donny2112

Such a shame, never forget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taiurn541SE

That GDC trailer had people dieing to get their hands on it.

One of the reasons for "March Excitement."

The 3DS was launched a few weeks before an earthquake, a tsunami, and a massive nuclear meltdown that hit Japan. That probably had at least a small effect on sales.

For a system Nintendo intended to be sold by word-of-mouth/hands-on play, where people didn't casually go out much after the earthquake. Yeah, a bit. On the good side (just looking at video games), it spurred Nintendo into a price cut sooner than probably would've happened otherwise.

Sid

There's heavy incentives at work here. Seems like since SCEI failed to secure Monhun, they went hard for the clones (PSO2, GE2, SoulSac).
Why psp/vita then? Why not a vita exclusive if there are 'heavy incentives' involved?a game like god eater 2 has the potential to be a system seller for the vita.

Why psp/vita then? Why not a vita exclusive if there are 'heavy incentives' involved?a game like god eater 2 has the potential to be a system seller for the vita.
Clearly not heavy enough for Scamco. ;)

We've recently started seeing a couple of PSP/Vita multi-games (GE2, LBXW, AKB48), wouldn't surprise me at all if SCEI was pushing for them behind the scenes. Some incentives plus the PSP base to fall back on could make it an attractive proposition for 3rd parties with their PSP games.

jman2050

It likely started development as a PSP/Vita game and it was too late to make a change when the market position of the Vita became clearer.

I imagine this is the case for a portion of the Vita games yet to be released.

ohlawd

Yep, look at that LBP Vita crater. It's huge man, really huge.

What are Namco's expectations for TTT2? Those sales seem really awful. Is it gonna crawl to 120k?

It likely started development as a PSP/Vita game and it was too late to make a change when the market position of the Vita became clearer.

I imagine this is the case for a portion of the Vita games yet to be released.
It started out PSP only. This game was originally due before Vita was even on shelves.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Divine Intervention.

I kid. But it would be pretty funny.

Erethian

God Eater 2 has quite a few things going against it, so it will be interesting to see where its sales stack up. Firstly, while the PSP is definitely a more viable platform at the moment than the Vita (and I don't see that changing anytime soon), that doesn't mean it's lighting up the charts; software sales for new entries in existing franchises have been pretty disappointing, with some exceptions. Secondly, if they don't pick the release date right it will be crushed to death by the MH4 juggernaut.

I know people like to say that it plays differently/caters to a slightly different audience, but let's be brutally honest here. God Eater 1 wouldn't have been nearly as successful if it wasn't for MH. Both because it created interest in those sorts of games, and because it created an audience for them on the PSP. And if that audience had to pick between MH4 or GE2, I think I know what they'd pick.

Nekki

So what do you suggest? Staying on a steady death path with the PSP & the Vita? Do nothing?

Cause the whole conversation is revolving about the hypothetical strategies (for me) that Sony could do to save the Vita. I only see reasons why they won't work but I never see any of you provide alternatives of what could work.

So I'll ask again what would you do?

I'll take the liberty of answering, even if not directed at me, since it's a free-speech forum etc etc :p.

Anyway, i know your concerns are genuine and not mal-intended, but it is pretty clear to everybody that the Vita is in a very tough spot, and that Sony's actions alone are the ones that will put it afloat. Or more than actions per se, the initiative.

God Eater 2 will likely not save the system and two factors are the most important here to know this:

-Vita is selling a laughable amount of software.
-There is a PSP version as well. And PSP is pulling much more software than Vita.

Now, let's say it does go exclusively to Vita (which is not Sony's decision), and MAYBE it sparks interest among system owners (and potential buyers). The game had sold around 500k on a much healthier environment with a much bigger userbase, and also had the pulling power of monster hunter.

Do you see now how unlikely it is for GE to sell in an extremely good manner only on vita??

IMO, what the system could use is (like some suggested) a relaunch at a lower price point, in a period where more games are coming out. an average to good seller every 5-6 months won't cut it anymore.

Datschge

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

I have no idea if I will be able to keep it going like I did in years past. But here is 2 week in a row at least. I visited several game shops this week while filming some video so I got to see more of the shops I used to when I did the early "reports". Anyway..

1. The local 7-11 and other shops are not selling physical copies of NSMB2, Oni Training or Art Academy but they have the download cards available near the itunes cards. It makes sense for them I suppose. Less risk for unsold inventory and they take up very little space.

2. I am not sure if this is a large scale trend or just a coincidence, but at 3 stores (Book-off, Best Denki and Yamada Denki) all the PS3 Move requiring games (Move sport-thing, Beat Sketch, that boxing one, Michael Jackson, etc.) have all been moved to the "bomba bin" and the discount is massive. Best sells all the games for 180yen each, Book-off between 80yen and 280yen, Yamada highest is 480. I didn't see the Move version of BH5 but I don't think that required Move.

3. Now I haven't been visiting many shops lately and maybe this trend started a long time ago, but there are a ton of used Wii consoles on the market. I wonder is people anticipating the WiiU and it's back-compatability are trading in while they can still get something for it. A used Wii can be yours for 8000yen.

4. Xenoblade is holding it's value well. I can't find a copy for under 4500yen in my town (and I'm looking now). Most used copies are still going for around 5500. Can't say the same for Pandora's Tower (1700yen), or The Crystal Bearers (380yen).

5. PS3 Ni no Kuni 1800yen, DS 980yen.

5. Used copies of MIKU can be found at a few of the store but no used Miku PSV hardware in any shops. Lots of the regular PSVs. Most shops will not buy the 3G.

6. FFXIII-2 Limited Edition PS3 consoles are selling for 500yen LESS than a comparable regular PS3 at Book-off.

7. I have seen used MH3G 3DS bundles on the shelves. Haven't seen those in a long time. Maybe people upgraded? Getting ready for MH4?

8. TGS looked lame from the reports but that is 100% sour grapes from me since I was not able to go this year. Still my gaming friends here in Japan seemed less excited and the mainstream news barely covered it this year.

9. Since I last visited all the shops in March, 2 stores have removed their retro (pre Playstation 2) sections. GEO and Goody. 2 other stores dramatically scaled them down (Book-Off and Book-net). Makes my 8-bit heart sad.

10. Still no Wii U advertising in stores at all. Not a single store had so much as a WiiU logo. I thought with the date now released there would be.. something. I wonder how it is in the big cities..

Ok, that's all for now. If there is anything specific you want to know, tell me and I'll try to check on it next time.

Much appreciated, Vinnk!

olimpia84

Those LBP numbers make me want to cry. I wasn't expecting the game to light up the charts on fire, but 5K copies is just downright embarrassing.

I'll take the liberty of answering, even if not directed at me, since it's a free-speech forum etc etc :p.

Anyway, i know your concerns are genuine and not mal-intended, but it is pretty clear to everybody that the Vita is in a very tough spot, and that Sony's actions alone are the ones that will put it afloat. Or more than actions per se, the initiative.

God Eater 2 will likely not save the system and two factors are the most important here to know this:

-Vita is selling a laughable amount of software.
-There is a PSP version as well. And PSP is pulling much more software than Vita.

Now, let's say it does go exclusively to Vita (which is not Sony's decision), and MAYBE it sparks interest among system owners (and potential buyers). The game had sold around 500k on a much healthier environment with a much bigger userbase, and also had the pulling power of monster hunter.

Do you see now how unlikely it is for GE to sell in an extremely good manner only on vita??

IMO, what the system could use is (like some suggested) a relaunch at a lower price point, in a period where more games are coming out. an average to good seller every 5-6 months won't cut it anymore.

I agree with this, that's what I posted before, quoting myself from the previous page.

I think there will be a revision announced early 2013 and launched before the spring. They want to time it before the release dates of Soul Sacrifice/God Eater 2 and try to reset the Vita. This will be their strategy as it worked with the PS3 for them, thus I have the unfounded impression they'll try it with the Vita.

Looking at the Vita components there's no reason why it wouldn't get yearly refresh like smart phones.

If it works is TBD.

Then the argument went that MH4 is also coming, my response to that was this:

Which is as good as opportunity as any to present to that massive user base that they can get served better in those types of experiences on their superior hardware. Position the games head to head and push that comparison hard. Hardly anyone cares/notices the vita. The possible controversy/discussions would help the system to get in the mainstream perception. They should exploit this, no shy away from it.

So yes, I also as everyone else here believes that just GE2 and Soul Sacrifice won't be enough without a hardware revision that puts the Vita on a lower price range. I do think that the combination of these event's is the sooner than Sony can make a serious attemp at getting it back to a decent performance level.

jeremy1456

I know the discussion about lack of BC hurting Vita died a few pages back, but I still wanna say...

... I still bought a Vita to play PSP games :/

I have spent more time playing ps1 classics on the system than actual Vita games.

And support wasn't added in that long ago lol.

Heck, I think I have even spent more time playing psp games on it than Vita titles.

The sad part is that I got the system at launch.

I have spent more time playing ps1 classics on the system than actual Vita games.

Heck, I think I have even spent more time playing psp games on it than Vita titles.

I bought a PSP recently, and I am extremely happy with my purchase; however, I definitely couldn't say the same if I had bought PSV, because:

1- I had to pay $300 instead of $89 I paid for my PSP and 16GB card.
2- I couldn't play Crisis Core at all [one of the main reasons I got PSP], and definitely not for $10

The difference in price of used PSP and UMDs, and also lack of some important titles, are just too much to justify buying a PSV over PSP only for a better screen and second analog

jeremy1456

I bought a PSP recently, and I am extremely happy with my purchase; however, I definitely couldn't say the same if I had bought PSV, because:

2- I couldn't play Crisis Core at all [one of the main reasons I got PSP], and definitely not for $10

The difference in price of used PSP and UMDs, and also lack of some important titles, are just too much to justify buying a PSV over PSP only for a better screen and second analog

Dat amoled screen.

I did get it for the software though. After seeing New Little King Story and Persona 4 announced for the platform i thought the Vita would get a ton of niche RPGs. Not only is it not getting many RPGs, but no one seems interested in bringing anything significant at all to the system.

watershed

Banned

This is the problem I have with the Vita at the moment. I really want one just for playing ps1 and psp games yet its cheaper to buy a psp and umds for the psp games and I don't really want to invest $300 just to play some ps1 classics. But I think the Vita is better for ps1 games and it will surely get some actual Vita games I'd want in the future. Decisions...

jeremy1456

This is the problem I have with the Vita at the moment. I really want one just for playing ps1 and psp games yet its cheaper to buy a psp and umds for the psp games and I don't really want to invest $300 just to play some ps1 classics. But I think the Vita is better for ps1 games and it will surely get some actual Vita games I'd want in the future. Decisions...

I would wait a year.

You will probably be able to find Vitas on eBay for under a hundred bucks by then.

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

I have no idea if I will be able to keep it going like I did in years past. But here is 2 week in a row at least. I visited several game shops this week while filming some video so I got to see more of the shops I used to when I did the early "reports". Anyway..

1. The local 7-11 and other shops are not selling physical copies of NSMB2, Oni Training or Art Academy but they have the download cards available near the itunes cards. It makes sense for them I suppose. Less risk for unsold inventory and they take up very little space.

2. I am not sure if this is a large scale trend or just a coincidence, but at 3 stores (Book-off, Best Denki and Yamada Denki) all the PS3 Move requiring games (Move sport-thing, Beat Sketch, that boxing one, Michael Jackson, etc.) have all been moved to the "bomba bin" and the discount is massive. Best sells all the games for 180yen each, Book-off between 80yen and 280yen, Yamada highest is 480. I didn't see the Move version of BH5 but I don't think that required Move.

3. Now I haven't been visiting many shops lately and maybe this trend started a long time ago, but there are a ton of used Wii consoles on the market. I wonder is people anticipating the WiiU and it's back-compatability are trading in while they can still get something for it. A used Wii can be yours for 8000yen.

4. Xenoblade is holding it's value well. I can't find a copy for under 4500yen in my town (and I'm looking now). Most used copies are still going for around 5500. Can't say the same for Pandora's Tower (1700yen), or The Crystal Bearers (380yen).

5. PS3 Ni no Kuni 1800yen, DS 980yen.

5. Used copies of MIKU can be found at a few of the store but no used Miku PSV hardware in any shops. Lots of the regular PSVs. Most shops will not buy the 3G.

6. FFXIII-2 Limited Edition PS3 consoles are selling for 500yen LESS than a comparable regular PS3 at Book-off.

7. I have seen used MH3G 3DS bundles on the shelves. Haven't seen those in a long time. Maybe people upgraded? Getting ready for MH4?

8. TGS looked lame from the reports but that is 100% sour grapes from me since I was not able to go this year. Still my gaming friends here in Japan seemed less excited and the mainstream news barely covered it this year.

9. Since I last visited all the shops in March, 2 stores have removed their retro (pre Playstation 2) sections. GEO and Goody. 2 other stores dramatically scaled them down (Book-Off and Book-net). Makes my 8-bit heart sad.

10. Still no Wii U advertising in stores at all. Not a single store had so much as a WiiU logo. I thought with the date now released there would be.. something. I wonder how it is in the big cities..

Ok, that's all for now. If there is anything specific you want to know, tell me and I'll try to check on it next time.

omg, a chill on my back just seeing the picture!
btw, I was right in thinking that Xenoblade, though not with high sales, built a nice following, and that's why I think the next Monolith game is gonna be pretty big in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Famitsu: How Mario Kart 7 is doing compared to Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii, up to 42 Weeks

Week 39, 2006 ( Sep 25 - Oct 01)

[NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 9.977 / 1.576.826

Week 5, 2009 ( Jan 26 - Feb 01)

[WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 11.063 / 2.133.818

Week 38, 2012 ( Sep 17 - Sep 23)

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 3.512 / 1.805.429

... and a new library of next gen portable games for Vita maybe?

Just based on my observations from visiting Japan several times, I think Sony will be ok once the shelves start filling up with more games, regardless of system seller.

Nintendo has the luxury of being able to release their games to build a massive userbase very quickly, bringing in 3rd parties to cash in. Sony doesn't and they're bound to know it, so they're going slow burn. They refuse to drop the price cause they know they don't have the software yet, so they may as well get what they can from the users who're already keen. They'll drop it just as the system starts to build up a respectable presence.

Japanese retail shelves very specifically push the big sellers for a system. You walk in to the Wii section and it's loaded with Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort, NSMB etc like they were brand new releases - i'm talking 2-3 rows full of cases for these old games!

Just a month or so ago, i met my brother in laws 10 yr old girl, who has a DS collection of - NSMB, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Collection, Mario Kart. How did she know these are the best games to get without research? Cause retail told her thanks to shelves fully promoting the big hitters.

In much the same respect, the very size of the system's shelves dictates how the general public perceives the system. Right now, Vita has a couple of shelves at max. PSP? 2 or 3 full rows of shelves! 3DS has hit the point thanks to the big Nintendo releases - DS shelves are relegated to the back already and sometimes even just used software.

Backwards compatibility for Vita should have been better promoted over there - it's not ideal having to pay again or UMD trade, but better than the reality - that is, many stores have signs explicitly 'advertising' that you can't play UMDs on Vita with no mention of the options.

When regular people weigh up the options, PSP for a cheaper price is buying into a huge library of games (and cheap as used) vs a higher entry price and a smaller library for Vita. Until they see the Vita library is considerably bigger, and know the system has 'made it', PSP won't be usurped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Famitsu: How Mario Kart 7 is doing compared to Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii, up to 42 Weeks

Week 39, 2006 ( Sep 25 - Oct 01)

[NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 9.977 / 1.576.826

Week 5, 2009 ( Jan 26 - Feb 01)

[WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 11.063 / 2.133.818

Week 38, 2012 ( Sep 17 - Sep 23)

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 3.512 / 1.805.429

The Wii one was heavily front loaded and also if it had a great start and good rhythm it faded and closed with a lower LTS compared to the DS one. Am I right?
So, comparing the 3DS one to the DS one, it has a lower weekly rhythm but up to now an LTD way higher.
If it will continue selling "forever" also with low figures as the actual ones, I think it could still do great LTD numbers, also if probably lower than previous entries.
I think it could benefit from a bundle

Which is as good as opportunity as any to present to that massive user base that they can get served better in those types of experiences on their superior hardware. Position the games head to head and push that comparison hard. Hardly anyone cares/notices the vita. The possible controversy/discussions would help the system to get in the mainstream perception. They should exploit this, no shy away from it.

I mean, you really believe that God Eater 2 and Soul Sacrifice (which is a new and unproven IP) will affect in any relevant way Monster Hunter 4 commercial status? That Capcom game is one of the most anticipated 2013 games, it had an impressive presence at the TGS, and the software house (maybe with Nintendo?) will push it heavily, such that any other game (not only its clones, I mean, every other game) will be overshadowed; plus, it will benefit from the Golden Week period.

Furthermore, by saying: they can get served better in those types of experiences on their superior hardware, you assume that Monster Hunter fans care a lot about graphics, which is simply not true; they want friend to play with, and given Monster Hunter 3G huge success, they will likely own a 3DS, not a Vita. And even if you want to compare graphics, it's not that God Eater 2 and Soul Sacrifice are games that push the hardware, being the first one an upgraded port of a PSP game, and the second one a medium budget project.

Monster Hunter is so popular that you cannot simply steal its userbase by making a technical comparison; same went from Pokémon clones on PS1 or PSP (Invizimals) and the like. Actually, being released along with Monster Hunter 4 may be dangerous, because Vita may look like the console with just clones, since it cannot have the original one (and that goes beyond the actual quality of the games themselves).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Divine Intervention.

I kid. But it would be pretty funny.

Even divine intervention couldn't help Vita :p

I kid, I kid. But seriously... at this point I don't know if even a divine intervention would be enough. I am actually interested in buying Vita due to P4G, but the overall outlook for it is quite bleak, isn't it...? In my place here, Vita is priced around 300-400 dollars, and I am not sure I am quite ready to invest that kind of money for a system with, as per now at the very least, look quite... alarming.

Come to think of it, PSP and Vita is really in a damned if you do damned if you don't, aren't they? I mean, PSP undercutting Vita sales so it might be a good idea to just let the previous die so that the latter can thrive a bit more, but if Sony does that they might lose whatever portion they currently have in Japanese handheld wars. Damn.

Top Bottom