• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Laplasakos

Yes? “Global success” is obviously meant relative to the expectations for the kind of game. There’s no hard bar for that. 1m would be horrible for Call of Duty, it would be mind-blowingly good for Namco Museum.

Since everyone calls these games a global success, what where the expectations of the said games then?

Fiendcode

I am aware of the bolded but not for the rest. Not that i doubt it but what numbers are we talking about since it seems you know. More than 500k or 1m? Not that these numbers are the success bar or anything but when you say '' global success'' anything less would be disappointing.
Hamster announced 200k sales for their Neo Geo games after the first month. Presumably that's higher than they've done on PS4 or XBO given no announcements there.

Puyo Fever did 70k in the west on Switch after 5 weeks. Modest sales sure but good for Puyo and it likely vastly outperformed the PS4 version. Only western market we have a direct comparison was the UK retail ratio and that was 8:1 in Switch's favor. In Japan it also did pretty well and ended up being the 2nd best selling version overall despite being such a late port.

Sonic Mania and Namco Museum both topped eShop the charts globally and are still top 10 everywhere even now. I suspect when we get some publisher comments on both they'll be extremely positive.

And for indies we're getting constant threads on GAF on how Switch ports are outselling all other versions, and even all other versions combined in some cases. It's so frequent it's almost become satire now.

Also, lol at your 500k-1m strawman. Exactly which Switch games do you think should have sold that but haven't?

I disagree. Can't see how a Switch version would have sold better than the PS4 and XB1 versions. Plus there is PC too.
Why exactly do you disagree? What indications are there to support such judgement? Give me some semblance of an argument at least?

Laplasakos

Hamster announced 200k sales for their Neo Geo games after the first month. Presumably that's higher than they've done on PS4 or XBO given no announcements there.

Puyo Fever did 70k in the west on Switch after 5 weeks. Modest sales sure but good for Puyo and it likely vastly outperformed the PS4 version. Only western market we have a direct comparison was the UK retail ratio and that was 8:1 in Switch's favor. In Japan it also did pretty well and ended up being the 2nd best selling version overall despite being such a late port.

Sonic Mania and Namco Museum both topped eShop the charts globally and are still top 10 everywhere even now. I suspect when we get some publisher comments on both they'll be extremely positive.

And for indies we're getting constant threads on GAF on how Switch ports are outselling all other versions, and even all other versions combined in some cases. It's so frequent it's almost become satire now.

Wait a minute. 70k and Shop rankings is all you got? And despite this you called them a '' global success''? Oh wow...

Also, lol at your 500k-1m strawman. Exactly which Switch games do you think should have sold that but haven't?

Well, when you said global success i don't think anyone imagines 200k numbers. It's not my fault that you are not using the proper words and exaggerating.

Why exactly do you disagree? What indications are there to support such judgement? Give me some semblance of an argument at least?

What indication do you need, when the game had a terrible reception from the start and every piece of news or footage was received negative? Did you check the game at all in all these months or the reception? How exactly a Switch version would have solve this and sell more as you say?

L~A

This was announced on May 3rd, so after 2 months. Just wanted to correct that, don't mind me and keep discussing ;)

90% of the discussion for these threads has been about how more stuff should be ported to the Switch.

I'm refering to a very...let's call it delicate group of people who were regulars in MC threads before the Switch launched, who used to be quite vocal.

You are absolutely correct though, point taken.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
On the other hand, look forward to Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite next year.

If they can't make enough profits to support their DLC development then the development for season 2 is going to be canned if the digital attachment isn't good enough. Me being a pessimist, I think Season 2 is going to get canned and Capcom is going to blame it on audiences and players, rather themselves, like they did with SF x TK.

Fiendcode

Wait a minute. 70k and Shop rankings is all you got? And despite this you called them a '' global success''? Oh wow...
Considering how Switch games are doing digitally, yes topping the eShop charts (and holding that for weeks like these two games did, unseating Minecraft) does mean something. Like I said though this is only a relative ranking but the indication here is both did rather well. Likewise 70k is pretty great in the west, especially (if the UK ratio held elsewhere) you're doing under 9k on PS4. And really that ratio even favors PS4 contextually given it's one of Nintendo's weaker markets and the Switch version exclusively had a digital version.

Well, when you said global success i don't think anyone imagines 200k numbers. It's not my fault that you are not using the proper words and exaggerating.
It's not an exaggeration, it's basic logic, understanding and the correct use of language. 200k is a huge global success for the ACA Neo Geo line. One that we're not seeing replicated on other platforms so far.

What indication do you need, when the game had a terrible reception from the start and every piece of news or footage was received negative? Did you check the game at all in all these months or the reception? How exactly a Switch version would have solve this and sell more as you say?
I think you're arguing past me, I never said a Switch version would solve any of that. Only that it could probably outsell the game's already incredibly low figures on PS4. And you haven't yet brought anything to the table to support your own thinking it couldn't.

This was announced on May 3rd, so after 2 months. Just wanted to correct that, don't mind me and keep discussing ;)
Thanks for that, I wasn't totally sure. :)

Hero

Success is defined as meeting or exceeding projected sales. Most indie games would kill to have 200k numbers. Not sure what's so hard to understand about this.

I think we have one legit underperformer on Switch and that's DQH1+2. 1 game.

2 games actually ;p

That's completely on you, not the other poster. A global success is a game that sold at or above- globally- the publisher's expectation. There is no defined number for a global success. If a new Mario Kart game sold in your range (500k-1M) that would be a horrendously bad result.

This has become the de facto containment thread for Switch port begging. : p

It used to be the de facto containment thread for Capcom bashing until that spilled out.

Laplasakos

It's not an exaggeration, it's basic logic and understanding and correct ise of language. 200k is a huge global success for the ACA Neo Geo line. One that we're not seeing replicated on other platforms so far.

Then you should have said '' global success '' for the Neo Geo line and not for every Switch game. So yes, as i said before it was an exaggeration from your part and wrong use of words. It's hilarious that you are still arguing about it when there is you post a few pages back. Can't you admit that it was just a mistake?

I never said a Switch version would solve any of that. Only that it could probably outsell the game's already incredibly low figures on PS4. And you haven't yet brought anything to the table to support your own thinking it couldn't.

I have, it's only that you don't want to notice and i doubt you will unless i start agreeing to everything with you.

Personally I understand Laplasakos point to a degree that you can't assume that because publishers are happy with sales a system has the potential to whip out huge software sales. You do need some titles breaking 500k and 1m+ sales to help paint a picture of an environment that can foster big sellers.

But on the flip, nothing on the Switch besides Nintendo's games ever had a shot at 1m so its a null observation. The biggest third party release on the system thus far is NBA 2K. The next biggest is Fifa. (Well okay technically Rabbids is the biggest 3rd party release but you know, obvious reasons there)

Of the titles we do know the sales potential is there. But we dont have definitive proof of anything huge yet. Fair enough.

This has become the de facto containment thread for Switch port begging. : p
Said the same person who kept port begging monster hunter to the ps4 months ago
Personally I understand Laplasakos point to a degree that you can't assume that because publishers are happy with sales a system has the potential to whip out huge software sales. You do need some titles breaking 500k and 1m+ sales to help paint a picture of an environment that can foster big sellers.

But on the flip, nothing on the Switch besides Nintendo's games ever had a shot at 1m so its a null observation. The biggest third party release on the system thus far is NBA 2K. The next biggest is Fifa. (Well okay technically Rabbids is the biggest 3rd party release but you know, obvious reasons there)

Of the titles we do know the sales potential is there. But we dont have definitive proof of anything huge yet. Fair enough.
Tbf,does anyone really expect late ports,arcade ports and indie games to do 500k-1mil?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'm confused are we talking about western or Japanese third parties or both? Are we talking purely Japan or worldwide? I we're talking about all and domestic NBA 2k is not the biggest 3rd party game on the system if we're talking about western domestic they've barely ever outside of extreme outliners reached those numbers in the first place at least not for many many years. If we're talking worldwide western then Fifa is a waay bigger game than NBA.

I'm confused are we talking about western or Japanese third parties or both? Are we talking purely Japan or worldwide?

Worldwide and all publishers regardless of regions was what I was talking about. This is in regards to games actually released on the Switch as of today.

I we're talking about all and domestic NBA 2k is not the biggest 3rd party game on the system if we're talking about western domestic they've barely ever outside of extreme outliners reached those numbers in the first place at least not for many many years. If we're talking worldwide western then Fifa is a waay bigger game than NBA.

Fifa is way bigger than 2k but Fifa isn't out yet besides the Ronaldo edition shit that thry are doing. As of today NBA 2K is the biggest series released on the Switch. Fifa will be the biggest when it actually comes out. And again I was talking globally.

Fate/Extella

That one did better than I personally predicted for what it was.

Frodo

01./00. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (¥5.980) - 53.395 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.09.21} (¥6.990) - 8.273 / NEW

fnrPgdc.gif

Capcpom, post if you are okay.

NateDrake

I strongly suspect that the US will not be bailing the game out at all.

It's really scary that Capcom's path forward right now is praying for MHW to be a breakout hit in the west.

I have no faith that the US will bail the game out. Capcom released an unappealing product.

Global success does not mean some arbitrary universal number. It doesn’t take a genius to understand that.

That being said, of course ‘Switch = automatic success for any title’ isn’t realistic, and I don’t think anyone was arguing that.

As for MvCI, yes a Switch version would’ve helped a bit, but the game overall was doomed regardless of platforms because it’s an unappealing product that they marketed poorly.

NateDrake

Global success does not mean some arbitrary universal number. It doesn’t take a genius to understand that.

That being said, of course ‘Switch = automatic success for any title’ isn’t realistic, and I don’t think anyone was arguing that.

As for MvCI, yes a Switch version would’ve helped a bit, but the game overall was doomed regardless of platforms because it’s an unappealing product that they marketed poorly.

A Switch version of MvCI wouldn't have helped any. Another 8k sales in Japan wouldn't matter. The game has issues and no platform was going to change the reception the game has received.

a rerelease of a wiiu tekken spinoff game sold almost as much as tekken7... fighting game devs should take a look at this
A Switch version of MvCI wouldn't have helped any. Another 8k sales in Japan wouldn't matter. The game has issues and no platform was going to change the reception the game has received.

UMVC3 or USF4 however..

Fiendcode

Then you should have said '' global success '' for the Neo Geo line and not for every Switch game. So yes, as i said before it was an exaggeration from your part and wrong use of words. It's hilarious that you are still arguing about it when there is you post a few pages back. Can't you admit that it was just a mistake?
Except I never said 200k was a global success for everything? I just said we had multiple examples of global success on Switch, listed some of them and then gave some further context on each. Where's this mistake I need to admit to?

I have, it's only that you don't want to notice and i doubt you will unless i start agreeing to everything with you.
You haven't though. All you've said is you disagree and that's pretty much the beginning and end of your argument.

Laplasakos

Except I never said 200k was a global success for everything? I just said we had multiple examples of global success on Switch, listed some of them and ghen gave some further context on each. Where's this mistake?

Here.

You haven't though. All you've said is you disagree and that's pretty much the beginning and end of your argument.

You missed the part where i said that the reception of the game would't have allowed more sales to a Switch version?

Shahadan

Monster Hunter World aside, what do they even have left to make money? A new RE at some point but until that comes I don't know

I meant help relative to what it’s sold. I would hardly call doubling the current sales negligible (I don’t think it would’ve been just Japan either).

But yes, as I said, the game was doomed whether it was on Switch or not.

Ridley327

Monster Hunter World aside, what do they even have left to make money? A new RE at some point but until that comes I don't know

REmake 2 is in the works, but we haven't seen anything on it yet. Itsuno also has a new project, but since it skipped TGS, there's no telling when they'll unveil that, either.

That wouldn't make any money but I'd buy it immediately ;_;

I know &#128546;

In all seriousness though. The only reason Capcom's situation looks dire is because we know they wont actually do whatever game they produce justice.

They could make a crazy 3rd person shooter Dino Crisis with light puzzle/adventure elements and the shit would sell like crazy. Resident Evil Revelations inspired Raid mode with different dinos and all.

They just dont want to go all in on anything. That's why MHW has such a good response. Cause it doesn't look like they are going in half hearted.

Ridley327

Was REmake2 supposed to be making this FY?

No, I don't believe it ever had any kind of date set. From what we knew when they announced it, they literally just got the greenlight to move forward on the project, meaning that any work that was done up to that point would be little more than a pitch.

MoonFrog

I know &#128546;

In all seriousness though. The only reason Capcom's situation looks dire is because we know they wont actually do whatever game they produce justice.

They could make a crazy 3rd person shooter Dino Crisis with light puzzle/adventure elements and the shit would sell like crazy. Resident Evil Revelations inspired Raid mode with different dinos and all.

They just dont want to go all in on anything. That's why MHW has such a good response. Cause it doesn't look like they are going in half hearted.

Yeah and that's why I think MHW will do well in Japan for the PS4. That just isn't going to be enough alone.

Also why I think they have a chance in the west at expanding the audience, but probably not to the tune of what they lose in Japan. Maybe it blows up though. But I think they'd need 3 million in the west to do that (with 1.5 or so in Japan).

Not a MH person but judging from others it seems to be a quality effort/dream effort for MH fans who would rather have that game on home consoles.

I think they can perhaps pull it off and build on it going forward, but I hope they are already repurposing its assets to a Switch game.

If it didn't sound like quality, this would be a much worse looking situation.

Top Bottom