• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Forgotten Ancient said:
I know I'm in the tiny, tiny, minority...but I think the Gamecube (especially in white) looks much better than the Wii....and pretty much any other console in recent memory.
That minority is so tiny I think it consists of only you.

D.Lo

Forgotten Ancient said:
Because Nintendo at its worst is better than most companies' best. And although it wasn't very good, the third party support they got was much, much better than the n64. Besides, Fire Emblem on its own is enough to justify loving my gamecube.
Fair enough, but I'd hardly call Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2, Sunshine, Paper Mario 2, Wind Waker and F-Zero GX 'Nintendo's worst'.

I definitely enjoyed my Gamecube more then my N64, and I was constantly frustrated that even though it had IMO the best games around (Metroid Prime being the #1 example when it came out), it still didn't sell better. This is probably how some PSP fans feel right now.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Kobun Heat said:
GameCube will almost definitely eventually take over the #2 spot from Xbox, but who the ****ing **** cares anymore.

Hey, I care.

D.Lo said:
Fair enough, but I'd hardly call Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2, Sunshine, Paper Mario 2, Wind Waker and F-Zero GX 'Nintendo's worst'.

I definitely enjoyed my Gamecube more then my N64, and I was constantly frustrated that even though it had IMO the best games around (Metroid Prime being the #1 example when it came out), it still didn't sell better. This is probably how some PSP fans feel right now.

Not only do I share your frustration about it not selling better, but I'm also frustrated that a lot of people said it didn't have more than a few good games.

It's a shame... an insult

jarrod

Banned
Frankfurter said:
Normally, you start counting from the release day until the day a successor is released. That's the lifespan.
1st party software support might be a better measure... then you'd get...

Game Boy ~1988-1999
Game Boy Color ~1998-2002
Game Boy Advance ~2001-2007
Nintendo DS ~2004-current

Famicom/NES ~1983-1994
Super Famicom/NES ~1990-2000
Nintendo 64 ~1996-2001
GameCube ~2001-2006
Wii ~2006-current

PlayStation ~1994-2004
PlayStation 2 ~2000-current
PlayStation 3 ~2006-current

Xbox ~2001-2005
Xbox 360 ~2005-current

PSP ~2004-current

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jarrod, random question, but I don't suppose you have numbers for the original Yoshi's Island for Japan only, do you?

D.Lo said:

I didn't say they were Nintendo's worst. Nintendo internally developed games for the Gamecube were, for the most part, not as good as I was expecting. They were still great games, though - Especially Smash Bros (Which I consider to be the only improved franchise Nintendo developed from the N64 to the Gamecube).

Retro, Intsys, and Sega did awesome on Metroid, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, and F-Zero GX. Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker both let me down - and those were the main reasons I purchased the system in the first place. But, with everything else that was on it, as I said, I loved my Gamecube.

I also felt a lot of frustration when Xbox and Splinter Cell beat out the Gamecube and Metroid Prime by a wide margin. I remember waiting for those sales figures with a lot of anticipiation, only to be let down. And, as you said, I'm pretty frustrated with how poorly the PSP is doing. Luckily, I'm happy as hell with my DS. :D

Forgotten Ancient said:
I also felt a lot of frustration when Xbox and Splinter Cell beat out the Gamecube and Metroid Prime by a wide margin. I remember waiting for those sales figures with a lot of anticipiation, only to be let down. And, as you said, I'm pretty frustrated with how poorly the PSP is doing. Luckily, I'm happy as hell with my DS. :D

Were you frustrated at Metroid Prime 2 Echoes sales?

I remember a lot of people trying to make excuses for it's first low month, but even Nintendo has came out and stated they were disappointed with sales.

MP on the other hand came back and I believe has beaten SC. I might be off by a few 100k or so though

ethelred

When did this turn from a Media Create thread into a bunch of middle-aged women consoling each other over the sad turn of events in "The Bridges of Madison County?"

NCL said:
NINTENDO POWER書き換えソフト
 ■ 書き換え開始:1999年9月1日
 ■ 書き換え価格:2625円(税込)
 ■ Fブロック数:8
 ■ Bブロック数:16
▼ROMカセット版※販売は終了致しました
 ■ 発売日:2000年1月21日
 ■ 価格:5200円(税別)

Nintendo Power rewriteable software
Rewriting began: September 1st, 1999
Rewriting price: 2625 yen (tax incl.)
F Blocks: 8
B Blocks: 16

Cartridge version *no longer sold
Release date: January 21st, 2000
Price: 5200 yen (tax incl.)

D.Lo

ethelred said:
When did this turn from a Media Create thread into a bunch of middle-aged women consoling each other over the sad turn of events in "The Bridges of Madison County?"
It's page 22, it's likely there will be some tangents...

LanceStern said:
Were you frustrated at Metroid Prime 2 Echoes sales?

I remember a lot of people trying to make excuses for it's first low month, but even Nintendo has came out and stated they were disappointed with sales.

MP on the other hand came back and I believe has beaten SC. I might be off by a few 100k or so though

I bought MP echoes....
used :lol

Echoes is a weird thing...I loved the original, but haven't even touched the sequel. I don't even care to, either.

cvxfreak said:
Fire Emblem Thracia 776 was the last SFC game in Japan right? Thought that was 1999.

I think that a few of the download-service Picross games might have come out after Thracia 776, but I'm not sure about that... and they weren't released on normal cartridges, I believe, like that game eventually was.

Pud

Banned
ethelred said:

It's certainly a more interesting discussion than trying to infuse the 6 millionth rendition of 'the wii is a repackaged Gamecube' argument, though (despite the sarcasm), isn't it?

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Fire Emblem Thracia 776 was the last SFC game in Japan right? Thought that was 1999.
Nope, Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut was the final SFC release (via NP) coming in December 2000... at least that Nintendo distributed.

Thracia 776 was the final full SKU release though (January 2000).

Parl said:
Yeah, cumulative is what I'm on about. But, if ye don't mind, do one for each week in isolation too please.
20070219dspspshare.png

ethelred said:
The new gamers at the weekly quilting get-together have really been influencing us.

Parl

Thankies, thanks a lot. DS looks as if it won't stop at 75% of the DS vs PSP market, it'll just keep climbing, unless PSP's regular numbers go up somehow, or DS loses steam.

creamsugar

Posted? I just find these MC number via my blog's comments.

31 Wii The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 8900 387000
37 Wii Excte Truck 7400 45000
52 Wii Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 4200 101000
73 Wii Ennichi no Tatsujin 2600 67000
86 Wii Elebits 2100 46000

Wii Cooking Mama: Cook Off 3700

jesusraz

creamsugar said:

That's the sort of stuff I requested previously - thank you :) Shame there aren't more leaked MC numbers this week from the likes of 2ch or anywhere else.

Anyone know how well Excitebike and Excitebike 64 did in comparison to Excite Truck?

ziran

creamsugar said:

thanks.

zelda's selling steadily, nearly 400k is decent, and nice to see dbz over 100k. 1st party sw is still king but 3rd party sales are off to an okay start, they should improve considerably as bigger titles are released and the wii userbase grows.

ziran said:
thanks.

zelda's selling steadily, nearly 400k is decent, and nice to see dbz over 100k. 1st party sw is still king but 3rd party sales are off to an okay start, they should improve considerably as bigger titles are released and the wii userbase grows.

Yep.

Infact, third party sales are decent, especially considering the quantity of them and their respective content. The Wii hasn't been treated to any high-profile title from third party developers thus far, and the biggest seller is essentially a PS2 port. Hopefully a lot of these third party deveopers take note of the Wii's popularity more quickly than they reacted to the DS'.

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Yep.

Infact, third party sales are decent, especially considering the quantity of them and their respective content. The Wii hasn't been treated to any high-profile title from third party developers thus far, and the biggest seller is essentially a PS2 port. Hopefully a lot of these third party deveopers take note of the Wii's popularity more quickly than they reacted to the DS'.

I really do think that Dragon Quest Swords will be the first true test of the long-term viability of Wii third party software. It's a from a top developer, from an established series, it's got traditional gameplay that's reimagined from the ground up for the Wii rather than ported from the PS2, and it'll likely be heavily marketed.

So its results should be a good indicator of what other third parties (and, Square Enix too) can expect when they approach development on the system properly.

ethelred said:
I really do think that Dragon Quest Swords will be the first true test of the long-term viability of Wii third party software. It's a from a top developer, from an established series, it's got traditional gameplay that's reimagined from the ground up for the Wii rather than ported from the PS2, and it'll likely be heavily marketed.

So its results should be a good indicator of what other third parties (and, Square Enix too) can expect when they approach development on the system properly.

Ah yes, that's true. DQS iirc is also the first DQ game to feature voice acting (In Japan, at least) so there's quite a serious amont of effort put into it. I wonder if it'll get Joker-level kind of promotion? The Wii's hot property right now in Japan, I don't see why not. They could create a million seller here (didn't the Plug-in version sell something like 500K?) and thus encourage similar-styled approaches to Wii development.

Kafel

Banned
ethelred said:

First games on systems always have this goal.

I hope the public will give this DQ Kenshin remake good sales because it will force SE to create games for the Wii and master its hardware.

If it happens while the Wii sales keep that high level then it will welcome the best productions from SE ( remember that first "Egg Hero" spin-off on DS, then Rocket Slime ... we all know what happened ).

KINGMOKU

DeaconKnowledge said:
I would go so far as to predict monstrous sales for DQ Swords.
This game is going to show us if the Wii is like the DS in terms of software tastes(Something for everyone, Brain Training, FFIII, e.t.c.) or if it's grabbing a really different audience in Japan.

I have a felling that this game is not going to sell all that great, and change things a little in Japan for Nintendo.

I'm calling under 400,000 copies.

jarrod

Banned
DQ Swords is going to be huge... an easy million seller imo, especially considering Kenshin moved 500k+.

Wii's 1st big 3rd party title is going to be Naruto EX this week though I think. It's going to sell what VF5 should've. :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DeaconKnowledge said:
I would go so far as to predict monstrous sales for DQ Swords.

if the dqs wii bundle story is tru - it could be the first 3rd party mio seller :)

moku said:
This game is going to show us if the Wii is like the DS in terms of software tastes(Something for everyone, Brain Training, FFIII, e.t.c.) or if it's grabbing a really different audience in Japan.

I have a felling that this game is not going to sell all that great, and change things a little in Japan for Nintendo.

Wow.

I predict at least 400k within 2 weeks.

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Ah yes, that's true. DQS iirc is also the first DQ game to feature voice acting (In Japan, at least) so there's quite a serious amont of effort put into it. I wonder if it'll get Joker-level kind of promotion? The Wii's hot property right now in Japan, I don't see why not. They could create a million seller here (didn't the Plug-in version sell something like 500K?) and thus encourage similar-styled approaches to Wii development.

Yep. First DQ in Japan to have voice acting... and I think its promotion will be Joker levels if not higher (the only thing it won't have compared to DQMJ is the public's awareness that the next main-series title will immediately follow it). The fact that Horii is heading up the title himself makes me think he'll certainly arrange for a very strong marketing campaign for the game.

It just strikes me as the first major third party game for the system and the first real gauge for what we can expect here for third party sales.

Kafel said:
I hope the public will give this DQ Kenshin remake good sales because it will force SE to create games for the Wii and master its hardware.

It's not a Kenshin remake.

moku said:

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. Only a handful of DQ games (Slime Morimori series and Young Yangus, basically) have sold that little... and none of them had the promotional/advertising campaigns that DQS is likely (almost guaranteed) to have.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I agree. I may eat crow on this, but I'd put the chances of DQS selling under 400k at very close to nil.

Yep. I'd put around 700-800k as a baseline for what we should expect the game to do.

Eteric Rice

Magicpaint said:

Dragon Quest VIII didn't have voice acting in Japan?...

Wow, that would be the first time America was a step ahead in a big series like that. :p

KINGMOKU

DeaconKnowledge said:
Wow.

I predict at least 400k within 2 weeks.
I know its sounds odd, but after having seen the success of Wiisports, and Wiiplay, while watching Zelda just barly crack 400k, I'm a bit worried, and have actaully bought into some of what the Wii detractors have been saying about it.

I also understand that both those games are value priced, but they are going/have hit a million, while Zelda, one of the best games ever, languishes at the bottom of the charts.

Maybe I am seeing to much into the Wii version of Zelda in Japan. The Gamecube version, like in the States could be putting up huge numbers, thus the reason for the mild reception for the Wii version in Japan.

I just dont know.

The thing I do know is that if DQswords, performs like I am inclined to believe it will, Nintendo is going to be hard-pressed to get some other big third-party games to hit its new console.

It really may have dug into a really new audience, something of wich we have never seen before.

I guess what I need to see are some reall gameing franchises hit the system and do well, before I am confident that traditional games will sell units on the Wii, in Japan. In the States and elsewhere I am not worried after seeing Zelda Wii explode, and put up an insane 90%+ attach rate.

ethelred

moku said:
I know its sounds odd, but after having seen the success of Wiisports, and Wiiplay, while watching Zelda just barly crack 400k, I'm a bit worried, and have actaully bought into some of what the Wii detractors have been saying about it.

I also understand that both those games are value priced, but they are going/have hit a million, while Zelda, one of the best games ever, languishes at the bottom of the charts.

Maybe I am seeing to much into the Wii version of Zelda in Japan. The Gamecube version, like in the States could be putting up huge numbers, thus the reason for the mild reception for the Wii version in Japan.

I just dont know.

The thing I do know is that if DQswords, performs like I am inclined to believe it will, Nintendo is going to be hard-pressed to get some other big third-party games to hit its new console.

It really may have dug into a really new audience, something of wich we have never seen before.

I guess what I need to see are some reall gameing franchises hit the system and do well, before I am confident that traditional games will sell units on the Wii, in Japan. In the States and elsewhere I am not worried after seeing Zelda Wii explode, and put up an insane 90%+ attach rate.

Well, there we go then. This is what I mean when I say Dragon Quest Swords is the big test for the Wii -- because it'll prove quite a few things either one way or the other. I think we'll all be interested in seeing how it does.

Eteric Rice

moku said:

I just dont know.

But Zelda games have never done amazingly well in Japan. : /

I think you're reading to much into it.

Important to note..

The Wii's current userbase can bear the load of 400k+ in a short time. This is partially why I claimed VF5 being the PS3's "savior" ludicrous; it wasn't going to sell people on a 600 dollar console, and the userbase is too small for it to do great numbers.

KINGMOKU

Eteric Rice said:

Comparativly, I disagree;

zeldafinal.jpg

It has to almost double its sales just to hit the last console Zelda's numbers.

Maybe it will over time, and like I said, maybe the Gamecube version has already provided that in Japan.

Who knows untill someone gets thier grubby little paws on Zelda TP Gamecube sales in Japan. *hint* *hint*

moku said:

I just dont know.

I see what you're saying. However I disagree because I don't think the Wii has a userbase consisting of purely casuals at this point.

Also, by design Swords is a more user-friendly experience, as opposed to Zelda which has more of a steep learning curve.

That said, Swords could very well bomb, but I think it would be highly unlikely.

I still say Zelda's doing fine in Japan. The series has lost its shine over there over the past few installments, so 400,000 on a userbase of around 1.6 mill is pretty good. I think it eventually could crawl past WW, maybe. At any rate, comparing Zelda to DQ in Japan is about the same as comparing them in the US, except in reverse.

I think 700-800k lifetime is a good baseline, too. I'd be a bit surprised if it hit a million, though I suppose it could. 400k lifetime, as I said, is almost outside my realm of belief. Naturally, it could happen. This industry likes to surprise, after all.

Eteric Rice said:

Not only have recent console Zeldas had relatively sluggish sales - strike 1 against TP - but it was releasing at launch - strike 2. IMO, it needed to be there, but I suspect it would have had better sales if it had launched sometime in the next few months - and if it had appeared a year+ after launch, as Wind Waker did, I wouldn't have been surprised to see it match/exceed that game's sales.

BTW - has a firm date been set for DQS yet? If it's still spring 2007, we could be looking at a Wii userbase of around 2 million - is it still plausible that DQS could sell to 50% of that audience?

KINGMOKU

Cosmonaut X said:
Not only have recent console Zeldas had relatively sluggish sales - strike 1 against TP - but it was releasing at launch - strike 2. IMO, it needed to be there, but I suspect it would have had better sales if it had launched sometime in the next few months.

BTW - has a firm date been set for DQS yet? If it's still spring 2007, we could be looking at a Wii userbase of around 2 million - is it still plausible that DQS could sell to 50% of that audience?
Good questions. I'll bet that you'll see S-E hedge thier bets a bit, and delay the game untill the Wii's userbase hits 3+million.

I just cant see it selling to 50% of the Wii's current userbase though.

Time will tell though.

Top Bottom