• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

Blackage

They've been pretty solid with the quality of their output the last couple years. Not CAPGOD status, but definitely exceeding my expectations.

EDIT:

lmfao. Literally seconds after I post that I go to launch MMLC and it's just a black screen. god damnit.

You were the chosen one, you were meant to prove me wrong and lead me into believing capcom has gone back into the light, not leave me in the despair of darkness. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still say this is a good colllection and aside from the minor resolution issues (this coming from someone with a nesrgb toploader and plenty of scart cables) I HOPE it does well and pushes other companies like konami, namco, square(taito) and others to realize that releasing legacy titles on steam and next gen is a good reliable revenue source.

Can you imagine a castlevania or contra or namco nes collection?

There are so many great games that people are spending $30-$50 for on eBay all day. Making those available on PC/xb1/ps4 is a no brainer.

I still say this is a good colllection and aside from the minor resolution issues (this coming from someone with a nesrgb toploader and plenty of scart cables) I HOPE it does well and pushes other companies like konami, namco, square(taito) and others to realize that releasing legacy titles on steam and next gen is a good reliable revenue source.

Can you imagine a castlevania or contra or namco nes collection?

There are so many great games that people are spending $30-$50 for on eBay all day. Making those available on PC/xb1/ps4 is a no brainer.

Back in the day, there was a Contra and Castlevania NES collection on PC:

Castlevania_and_Contra_Collection_Front_grande.jpg

To this day, I'll never understand why this never hit the consoles...

Zia

They did it. Seriously stunning. Really sad and disappointed to see that some reviewers do not understand what they were going for with the collection and mention the Anniversary Collection, which was shit, as a superior collection. This is why we don't have nice things.

One gripe so far though: anyone else playing on PC have the mouse pointer hanging out on their screen while using a controller?

AEREC

Was hoping to wake up and find this out on PS4...no luck though. I wish Sony wasn't behind on the releases.

cantona222

A technical question:
Why isn't there a 16:9 option. Is it technically hard to do this? Us non hard core mega man fans don't care that much if it is not that "authentic" to the original version. We prefer to see an extra inch of what's going on on the right end of the screen.

Sciz

A technical question:
Why isn't there a 16:9 option. Is it technically hard to do this? Us non hard core mega man fans don't care that much if it is not that "authentic" to the original version. We prefer to see an extra inch of what's going on on the right end of the screen.

Nothing is going on in that extra inch because the game isn't running any logic that far out.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 or Steam, I can't decide. I would usually go for PC over consoles, but I want to lay on my couch and remember the good times I had on the NES. Hmm.

Bought it for the PS4 ( it's up in the EU store at least ), because I've never played the original Mega Man -games. I played 9 and 10, though, and loved 'em.

RedToad64

They did it. Seriously stunning. Really sad and disappointed to see that some reviewers do not understand what they were going for with the collection and mention the Anniversary Collection, which was shit, as a superior collection. This is why we don't have nice things.

One gripe so far though: anyone else playing on PC have the mouse pointer hanging out on their screen while using a controller?
Just move your cursor to the right side of the screen (outside of your monitor screen's "border"). It shouldn't be seen then.

Any PS4 users observe if there's sound issues like on XB1?

It's present on all three versions (XB1, PS4, PC). I watched a number of YT videos to confirm.

The two most noticeable tracks (for me, anyway) with the sound issue is the Get Weapon music from Mega Man 2 and Ice Man's stage in the original game.

Tain

There was literally nobody trying to be the Criterion Collection of games up until this point -- future-proofing old games in thoughtful groupings with amazing menu art and interesting, cohesive extras. I understand that iteration drives video games and up until this point "value" or the name of a series has been the focus of compilations but I'm pretty passionate about this approach.

I'd say that M2 has been doing a very good job of all of the above for almost a decade now. Their collections are gorgeous, comprehensive (they pretty much include all regions of every game they release as a bare minimum, and often have full scans of packaging and manuals from all regions, developer sketches, sheet music, etc), immaculately emulated, and contain meaningful extras. Unless you wouldn't consider their releases future-proof on the basis that they're locked to a given console instead of Windows?

I'd say that M2 has been doing a very good job of all of the above for almost a decade now. Unless you wouldn't consider their releases future-proof on the basis that they're locked to a given console instead of Windows?

M2 is the GOAT.

Bluepoint seems to be approaching their level of awesomeness.

I'm hoping Digital Eclipse can as well. I NEEEEED more NES collections like this.

Zia

I'd say that M2 has been doing a very good job of all of the above for almost a decade now. Their collections are gorgeous, comprehensive (they pretty much include all regions of every game they release as a bare minimum, and often have full scans of packaging and manuals from all regions, developer sketches, sheet music, etc), immaculately emulated, and contain meaningful extras. Unless you wouldn't consider their releases future-proof on the basis that they're locked to a given console instead of Windows?

I think M2's work is unparalleled and make sure to support it even if I'm not interested in the games themselves, but there are definitely availability and accessibility issues with most of their releases that frustrate me. Digital Eclipse is (supposedly) solving that with their in-house engine.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is probably a crap question but for someone who has only played 9 and 10, but did enjoy them, would this be worth picking up?

Certainly. Not all of the old games are as well-balanced or refined in level design as 9 and 10 are, but if you enjoyed the gameplay style in 9 and 10, the games in this pack are what they tried to emulate in the first place.

IronLich

This is probably a crap question but for someone who has only played 9 and 10, but did enjoy them, would this be worth picking up?

Absolutely worth going back to the nexus, and later games in the collection add gameplay abilities that weren't included in 9 or 10 (The ability to charge your normal shot for a super powered blast) that really make a difference in fun factor.

Absolutely.

Certainly. Not all of the old games are as well-balanced or refined in level design as 9 and 10 are, but if you enjoyed the gameplay style in 9 and 10, the games in this pack are what they tried to emulate in the first place.

Absolutely worth going back to the nexus, and later games in the collection add gameplay abilities that weren't included in 9 or 10 (The ability to charge your normal shot for a super powered blast) that really make a difference in fun factor.

Without question! You'll likely love this collection.

Absolutely. 2 and 3 are about as good as 9, but the others might disappoint you.
Well that's a resounding yes, haha. I guess I'll grab it once I'm done with MGS V.

I did have lots of fun with 9 and 10, I just never played the Megaman series as a kid.

Tain

I haven't seen enough detail on how the saves work. Is it emulator style unlimited save/load in one slot? Or is it a more reasonable suspend-style save that can't be abused?

Ah, I was wrong about the music being remastered, I was looking at the first page and made the assumption they were the Rockman Works that released on the Playstation.

I want to get the physical copy, but can't justify the price.

Glad it's being well received. Reviewers comparing this negatively to the Anniversary Collection without going into the details of each should have their writers badge revoked. That's garbage.

Moosehole

Any idea when this is up on PS4/Xbone in NA? Also, can you turn those borders off? I play my PS4 on a plasma and I don't want that shit burning in.
It will probably be up in the next 2-3 hours. If you use the search function in the store you'll be able to buy the game a bit earlier than if you wait for it to show up in the "new games" section.

As for the borders, you can indeed turn them off.

Top Bottom