• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Kwixotik

What do you guys think about black onyx on an engagement ring? My girlfriend and I are poor as hell so we're looking for diamond alternatives. I thought this ring was really cool, but I dunno if it's cool for engagement rings to have black. It's also got 3 small diamonds on each side of the onyx.
31b1Ht%2BUlvL.jpg

31f9OchfmkL.jpg

kagete

What do you guys think about black onyx on an engagement ring? My girlfriend and I are poor as hell so we're looking for diamond alternatives. I thought this ring was really cool, but I dunno if it's cool for engagement rings to have black. It's also got 3 small diamonds on each side of the onyx.

I got an aquamarine for my fiancee. Diamonds are overrated and everyone gets them. My best man thought he was getting a unique diamond ring for his fiancee (center diamond with a small sapphire flanking it on each side) when it turns out his fiancee's coworker just got a ring that was exactly the same a few months before. Black diamonds are something you can look at too and they're not as expensive (sex and the city made this popular for a bit around 5 years back). Try sites like etsy.com as well. Good luck with your proposal and congratulations in advance!

Sample black diamond solitaire engagement ring.
black-diamond-solitaire-ring-big.jpg

Jindrax

It's your call but I'm not such a fan of a black diamond, engagement should be a happy good thing, I dunno black doesn't convey that. Curious though, you're choosing the ring WITH your gf? Aren't you supposed to surprise her with it? I don't mean to be judgmental or anything I genuinely curious, I'm 21 I'm not sure how these things work :p.

On another note

Finally got myself a square knit tie.
Took a quick pic sorry for crappy qual
xFJyZwN.jpg

Question for this outfit though.
It's too stylish to go to class with, even though I'm in law school it's a tad overboard.
Not formal enough for oral exams, you gotta wear a suit.

So what's this good for? Fancy dinner but besides that I can't lay my finger on it.

It's your call but I'm not such a fan of a black diamond, engagement should be a happy good thing, I dunno black doesn't convey that. Curious though, you're choosing the ring WITH your gf? Aren't you supposed to surprise her with it? I don't mean to be judgmental or anything I genuinely curious, I'm 21 I'm not sure how these things work :p.

On another note

Finally got myself a square knit tie.
Took a quick pic sorry for crappy qual
xFJyZwN.jpg

Question for this outfit though.
It's too stylish to go to class with, even though I'm in law school it's a tad overboard.
Not formal enough for oral exams, you gotta wear a suit.

So what's this good for? Fancy dinner but besides that I can't lay my finger on it.

The peak lapel on the jacket doesn't help IMHO, yay, it seems that it will be restricted to cocktail party looks.

kaskade

Anyone wear hats? I've seen some floral hats that look pretty awesome. My summer attire is basically shorts + t-shirts so it's pretty casual.

I was looking at something along the lines of these guys. Unless anyone else has suggestions. I figure it might be a nice way to spice up a casual outfit if I don't feel like doing my hair.

NinjaBoiX

I wear hats, just beanies and baseball caps though, nothing flash. In the absence of hair, it's a way to accessorise my head.

kaskade

I think I'm going to go with this one. I have like no idea about hats but I figure it would be nice to have at least one that I like. Maybe in the winter I'll get a more neutral one.

dx9Skzr.jpg

I have a couple 5-panels but I don't wear them that often. got blessed with pretty good hair, it'd be a shame to cover it up. oh and beanies in the winter

Rookje

Of course Gawker can't figure out why slim fit clothing is trendy and blame it on "melennials, social networks and wives/gfs."

The real reason why slim fit is trendy today is because it's anti-fat. Obesity is a nationwide epidemic, and if you can fit in a slim fit anything it's a sign of pride and status. It highlights the hard work you put into your body and the self discipline you have with your health.

I can't really see slim fit dying out as a trend for a looong time.

Of course Gawker can't figure out why slim fit clothing is trendy and blame it on "melennials, social networks and wives/gfs."

The real reason why slim fit is trendy today is because it's anti-fat. Obesity is a nationwide epidemic, and if you can fit in a slim fit anything it's a sign of pride and status. It highlights the hard work you put into your body and the self discipline you have with your health.

I can't really see slim fit dying out as a trend for a looong time.

Im all about being healthy and being proud of it, but this is some really elitist nonsense.

Rookje

Im all about being healthy and being proud of it, but this is some really elitist nonsense.

It's how the fashion industry works. It's traditionally counterculture. 1960s with miniskirts, 1970s with carefree anti-drone colors and styles, 80s with urban angst, 90s with designer clothing (boom of the economy and status symbols). We live in the most fitness/body obsessed generation yet. Your body is your main accessory.

Alucrid

Banned
well shit i've been fat bashing for years now and i didn't even know it

in all seriousness i wouldn't put that much weight on it being anti-fat sentiment

Kraftwerk

Eh, I would say the bigger/hotter trend right now is loose fitting clothing. I see more and more people everyday wearing Rick Owens style clothing. Loose and long shirts, loose pants or skirts. Just relaxed and comfortable.

And regarding the slim fitting thing; I would say people are simply focusing more on good fitting clothing, and looking slim is a by-product. Not saying that the fashion industry doesn't lean
hehe
towards skinny bodies and whatnot, but this is just me talking based on the people around me. Every guy I know - since the article is about guys - that buys quality clothing, puts fit #1 on the priority list. We are also living in a generation where people love living an active lifestyle. Not sure if I worded that right, still learning English.

Not really about obsession. Not everyone is a narcissist.

NinjaBoiX

I like slim fitting tops and baggier trousers.

I think loose fitting tops just look like you bought the wrong size and skinny jeans/trousers just look awful IMO.

Rookje

well shit i've been fat bashing for years now and i didn't even know it

in all seriousness i wouldn't put that much weight on it being anti-fat sentiment

bd-wong.png

So you're saying the slim fit trend came out of... nowhere?

Eh, I would say the bigger/hotter trend right now is loose fitting clothing. I see more and more people everyday wearing Rick Owens style clothing. Loose and long shirts, loose pants or skirts. Just relaxed and comfortable.
Goth ninjas are not mainstream trends. You definitely want some kind of drapery on tops when they come to slutty T's or knits, but not dress shirts or tailoring.

Not really about obsession. Not everyone is a narcissist.
I'm not saying every person who wears slim fit clothing is a narcissist. They're just following trends. The ones who set the trend (the fashion industry) are probably narcissists. But that is the definition of the fashion industry.

Alucrid

Banned
http://jadelaughsalot.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/bd-wong.png[IMG]

So you're saying the slim fit trend came out of... nowhere?

Goth ninjas are not mainstream trends. You definitely want some kind of drapery on tops when they come to slutty T's or knits, but not dress shirts or tailoring.

I'm not saying every person who wears slim fit clothing is a narcissist. They're just following trends. The ones who set the trend (the fashion industry) are probably narcissists. But that is the definition of the fashion industry.[/QUOTE]

no it came from a few decades ago

i dont even see why you're calling designers narcissists when their primary interest is designing clothes for others to wear

Quick

Banned
I picked up a pair of Clarks desert boots recently, and I had a look at another pair at a store recently and noticed that while both mine and the display looked the same (90% sure, at least), the insoles on mine says "Clarks" while the other says "Clarks Original."

Is there actually a difference in the pair I got, or is it just a change in branding?

Edit: Did some Googling, and I picked up a pair of Bushacres, rather than the "Originals." They look exactly the same, with a difference with the sole.

I like slim fitting tops and baggier trousers.

I think loose fitting tops just look like you bought the wrong size and skinny jeans/trousers just look awful IMO.

I think skinny jeans is too far but slim fit is fantastic. If you got a solid bottom frame, it will make you look even better.

It's how the fashion industry works. It's traditionally counterculture. 1960s with miniskirts, 1970s with carefree anti-drone colors and styles, 80s with urban angst, 90s with designer clothing (boom of the economy and status symbols). We live in the most fitness/body obsessed generation yet. Your body is your main accessory.

Actual reason for slim fitting clothing:

80s/ early 90s were excess, hence the excess of wearing a huge suit that uses huge amounts of fabrics. The 90s and late 80s started revolting against this with minimalism, and by the end of the 90s, certain designers (Hedi Slimane, Raf Simons, Ann D) starting pushing a slimmer, though not yet "skinny" silhouette. The first actual skinny silhouette I think was Hedi Slimane's YSL AW2000 "Black Tie". Then, Hedi moved to Dior Homme, which became huge, and pushed the rest of the fashion companies into skinny silhouettes. Looking at my old fashion books, the big companies (Prada, Gucci, Tom Ford YSL) didn't really start going skinny until around 2005.

Also, prom fit pic:

I'm wearing a Pilati era YSL tux, the rest is SLP.

Also, hi.

We must know what Lady Illithid is wearing. If that headband alone is not $1k+ the manshion gods will be furious.

She made the headband herself, but the bow and shoes are SLP and the dress is some designer that I had never heard of, but I was told it costed a couple thousand, which I think makes up for the headband.

CFMOORE!

In an era of tacky garbage that's probably the best prom outfit you will ever see.

it is a standard fucking tux, are you kidding? just because it costs more than a standard rental, and granted, fits a little better, it doesn't suddenly make him fucking royalty amongst other in here who would post a prom pic for fun.

get off your fucking high horse.

I want one of the SLP hoodies and a jacket. Really like their clothing. Simple and classy.

I wouldn't go that far. They make a lot of weird stuff.

it is a standard fucking tux, are you kidding? just because it costs more than a standard rental, and granted, fits a little better, it doesn't suddenly make him fucking royalty amongst other in here who would post a prom pic for fun.

Please calm down. I only mean the standard tux done right is better than black suits with red shirts, black ties, and white shoes like the average prom outfit. I have no idea why you're resorting to personal attacks when I directed no ill will towards you.

Kraftwerk

I wouldn't go that far. They make a lot of weird stuff.

That is true. I didn't word it right, I meant the items I am looking at are nice and simple. I have seen some of their crazy shirts.

That came out of nowhere. Take a chill pill dude. I might have one for you, just not sure which one of my Birkin bags I had it in.

Hahahaha

Nice.

I want one of the SLP hoodies and a jacket. Really like their clothing. Simple and classy.

The hoodies are basically standard hoodies with a SLP mark up, but the jackets are super nice.

Top Bottom