• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Any chance of a restock on the Naked and Famous jeans online or is it a one time bang sale? Store's selection was pretty limited last time I was downtown so I'm not going to waste the gas for nothing. Luckily a Nordstroms is opening up in the area in a few months.

Alucrid

Banned
so guys about this thing

image.php

I'm thinking about buying boots. Where can I get good quality, stylish boots from without having to pay a fortune?

I know not which style I want. Just some cool boots. I already own chukka/desert boots, so something more boot-ish.

Let's break down your post piece by piece.

I'm thinking about buying boots - Okay stop thinking and start looking

Where can I get good quality, stylish boots from without having to pay a fortune? - What's a fortune to you? what's stylish to you? how important is quality over price to you?

I know not which style I want. Just some cool boots.- Holy fucking shit what does this even mean? You don't know what you want but you expect us to know?

I already own chukka/desert boots, so something more boot-ish.- Again, wtf does this mean? More boot-ish?

Are you looking for advice or a psychic to read your future and your mind?

Let's break down your post piece by piece.

I'm thinking about buying boots - Okay stop thinking and start looking

Where can I get good quality, stylish boots from without having to pay a fortune? - What's a fortune to you? what's stylish to you? how important is quality over price to you?

I know not which style I want. Just some cool boots.- Holy fucking shit what does this even mean? You don't know what you want but you expect us to know?

I already own chukka/desert boots, so something more boot-ish.- Again, wtf does this mean? More boot-ish?

Are you looking for advice or a psychic to read your future and your mind?

I want to pay you to become my personal shopper.

I kid, I kid. I was joking around. Its summer, I don't really need boots.

NinjaBoiX

I'm thinking about buying boots. Where can I get good quality, stylish boots from without having to pay a fortune?

I know not which style I want. Just some cool boots. I already own chukka/desert boots, so something more boot-ish.
This really is the vaguest question:

"I want some boots in an indeterminate style and an unquantified price range."
I want to pay you to become my personal shopper.
You can't just buy Bam's style. That shit is earned breh.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

You are literally describing the Doc Martens 1460 in cherry red. I am an expert on boot identification, trust me, this is the one.

NinjaBoiX

I want NinjaBoiX to be my personal shopper.
63nES5K.jpg

I think I'm really coming around on dip-dye actually. I've clocked some sweaters and tees recently that I've really liked, then suddenly realised that they're all dip-dyed up.

You guys are making me a better man.

Kraftwerk

63nES5K.jpg

I think I'm really coming around on dip-dye actually. I've clocked some sweaters and tees recently that I've really liked, then suddenly realised that they're all dip-dyed up.

You guys are making me a better man.

Good man :)

Here is your daily Hayley Williams .gif quota;

giphy.gif

I dunno how long it'll last, but some people declared an interest in picking up some Naked and Famous jeans so I thought I'd pass along this pretty deep Amazon deal. All in low sizes (28-33) unfortunately, so I can't yet sate my bizarre desire for red/burgundy/pomegranate jeans.

Those are good prices. I have the pomegranate and indigo ones. Love them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You are literally describing the Doc Martens 1460 in cherry red. I am an expert on boot identification, trust me, this is the one.

I like the reds, but they're not as versatile as I would want from a "main pair" of boots. The mottled two-tone 1460 is awesome, though. The bf has the green pair (there's also red, blue, and purple) and they're really beautiful, especially after a few months of wear.

This really is the vaguest question:

"I want some boots in an indeterminate style and an unquantified price range."

You can't just buy Bam's style. That shit is earned breh.

I will pay ONE MILLION DOLLARS per annum.

I... actually like these.

picture-14.png

But I'm thinking more gumboots. Cause... it rains a lot here. So, gumboots?

What am I doing please stop me I can't stop myself I'm an idiot

No, but I've no clue what kind of boots I like. I like my desert boots, but I'm considering getting another type at some indeterminate time in the future. I'm thinking Jodhpur boots, but the thing is I do not ride horses or mechanized horses.

I like these, but I have awful taste:

e545893f-d17f-43ad-9c05-05796ffd4934.jpg

I was joking about boots, but now I want boots.

Goddamn you, Fashion-GAF.

I'm thinking Jodhpur boots, but the thing is I do not ride horses or mechanized horses.
Nobody will check your street cred on Jodhpur anymore.
The 722 is one of the best selling model of J.M. Weston, not sure that much people use them for they intedended purposes.
114410172210F.jpg

Nothing on American Giant? I'm looking for a good sweatshirt. Back in the day, Champion made these really nice reverse weave sweatshirts. I have bought from Carhartt and Bayside. Bayside is okay but light.

I'm looking for a crew neck that is about 12 oz or more.

Quick

Banned
Red Wing Iron Rangers looked pretty good to me, generally speaking. They're like 200+ though. Boots will be boots though.

I want a pair as well. It's on my wishlist.

4-800x580-640x464.jpg

Seems like the type of boots that work with almost any outfit, and it looks great even with wear setting in.

I'm also looking to get a pair of Dr. Martens. The maroon/red is tempting, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off.

velociraptor

What is a good place to buy nice, slim fitted smart shirts in the UK that aren't too expensive?

Starting a job at a bank and will have to wear a suit.

How often are you supposed to rotate/change your suit? I have two suits at the moment.

How often is the suit supposed to be cleaned/washed? Thinking of buying 2 more suits and a ton of shirts. I might need to buy 10 additional shirts.

Have a navy and dark grey suit. What colour combos go well? What colour shirts shall I purchase?

Next up: Ties. What colour ties should I have? What style ties?

What is a good place to buy nice, slim fitted smart shirts in the UK that aren't too expensive?

Starting a job at a bank and will have to wear a suit.

How often are you supposed to rotate/change your suit? I have two suits at the moment.

How often is the suit supposed to be cleaned/washed? Thinking of buying 2 more suits and a ton of shirts. I might need to buy 10 additional shirts.

Have a navy and dark grey suit. What colour combos go well? What colour shirts shall I purchase?

can't answer uk specific stuff but

I would rotate every day, and clean them seasonally or if they are stained etc. maybe more frequently in your case, but don't be the guy who does it like every week. I would definitely get a good 4-5 day stock of them in your position, if possible.

re: colors, i'd think that working at a bank means keep it conservative, sky blue/light grey/white shirts and shit with mild patterns, neutral, nongaudy ties. if you stick with dark suiting and light shirts and a tie that sits in the middle edging toward the suit's tone, and keep it grey/blue can't imagine you would fuck up much.

Got my Everlane shipment in today. They're just some plain crewneck tees, so this may not interest anyone, but the fit and feel of them are pretty dope, especially for the price. I definitely recommend them. The fabric's a bit thin, though, if that's something you're after.

I think I've found the first pair of New Balances I really like.

What thezerofire said.

TM Lewin & Charles Thyrwitt are you best bet i'd say (if the cut is ok for you)

Will you have client facing to do? If yes, a third might be useful
Is it more front or back/middle Office? Rules for back & middle are usually far more relaxed.
Managerial Position? a third might be useful
Specific Company dress code?

I'm still for a few weeks a non-managerial executive in an Asset & Fund Services service of a major bank. People dress quiet casually except exec level (specific Dress Code), new guys that don't want to be underdressed and Relationship Manager/Sales (Client Facing).

Personnally being really tall and thin ( 1.93 cm and 70 kg) i tend to rock a vest and a pants rather than a full suit to avoid looking like a slenderman and i'm seen as the snob/dandy of the office.

How often is the suit supposed to be cleaned/washed?

Dry Cleaning, once, maybe twice a year
When it gets two wrinkley: hang it in you bathroom when you take a hot shower, it should ease it

Thinking of buying 2 more suits and a ton of shirts. I might need to buy 10 additional shirts.
lots of shirts are indeed a plus. If the dresscode allow you, you can maybe get a few vests and some nice pants

Flusser would say that it depends of you skin complexion.
Those posts from Parisian Gentleman (in french sorry) can help you:
The Power of Colours 4
The Power of Coulours 5

Get a colourwheel.
There is also some rules regarding pattern, like no stripe on stripe and such

Get Style and the Man from Alan Flusser which is the best basic guide on men clothing

Hope it helps.

Kraftwerk

I can't even read Macs comments anymore. I have to actually close my eyes and scroll down, just so I don't have to look at his avatar.

Top Bottom