• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I've wrapped up my non-thrift store purchasing until after I move.

For the sake of conversation, are there any Japanese brands or stores that any of you might have any affection for? I've got a few in mind already near where I'll be working come August, but it couldn't hurt to have some more recommendations. I'm excited to start stunting on my rural island of 65,000 people in my designer clothing.
As a denim head, I have a lot of love for Momotaro and Pure Blue Japan. PBJ's non jeans stuff tends to be a bit quirky but the fabric and texture of the dye is amazing, and the designs keep on improving. Great if you love wearing indigo.

Antagon

I've wrapped up my non-thrift store purchasing until after I move.

For the sake of conversation, are there any Japanese brands or stores that any of you might have any affection for? I've got a few in mind already near where I'll be working come August, but it couldn't hurt to have some more recommendations. I'm excited to start stunting on my rural island of 65,000 people in my designer clothing.

Japan is denim country. The before mentioned Momotaro and PBJ are some good options, as well as Samurai, Evisu (there are actually really good and subtle options available) or for something more vintage sugarcane Levi's repos. And that's only a small part of the high end brands available.

Also, some people love Visvim.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Good list, also this:
I really like some of the Real McCoy's stuff, they do really high quality reproductions of American military wear. I have a pair of shorts and a jacket from them that are just great, and an M-65 on the way for the fall/winter. Expensive as fuck though, but they should last a good long while.
Their M65 is really nice.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks man!

Dammit, why did it have to be such a good price? Want to cop, but I already have too many coats and jackets.

My burgeoning coat rack:

rphIkkm.jpg

This isn't even all of them, I have a few jackets in my wardrobe. I buzz off jackets and trainers, they can really set off an outfit.

As a denim head, I have a lot of love for Momotaro and Pure Blue Japan. PBJ's non jeans stuff tends to be a bit quirky but the fabric and texture of the dye is amazing, and the designs keep on improving. Great if you love wearing indigo.

Japan is denim country. The before mentioned Momotaro and PBJ are some good options, as well as Samurai, Evisu (there are actually really good and subtle options available) or for something more vintage sugarcane Levi's repos. And that's only a small part of the high end brands available.

I've been making progress but I'm still a bigger guy, so I can maaaybe squeeze into a 36 straight at the moment, and I think that puts me out of the running for most Japanese denim. At least from what I've seen available on Blue Owl, they seem to top out at 36.

I've for a long time wanted some Momotaro jeans though, for nothing other than the superficial reason of thinking their mascot/branding is rad. I hate back pocket designs (ESPECIALLY Evisu), but the pairs Momotaro make with the dual white stripes over the back right pocket are my one exception.

re: Hate for Evisu, it all started with this pic of a tough Japanese yakuza guy I know rocking some while taking a picture with one of his favorite idols:

Still browsing for the right Harrington but I already know I'm going to spend some money on the Persona Q soundtrack off amazon japan with this coming paycheck.

I did see and try on this pair of Ray-Bans at Costco (of all places) and am thinking about buying them...

Thoughts? The regular aviators they had fit as well, but the earpieces are super-thin.

Antagon

I've beeu n making progress but I'm still a bigger guy, so I can maaaybe squeeze into a 36 straight at the moment, and I think that puts me out of the running for most Japanese denim. At least from what I've seen available on Blue Owl, they seem to top out at 36.

I've for a long time wanted some Momotaro jeans though, for nothing other than the superficial reason of thinking their mascot/branding is rad. I hate back pocket designs (ESPECIALLY Evisu), but the pairs Momotaro make with the dual white stripes over the back right pocket are my one exception.

re: Hate for Evisu, it all started with this pic of a tough Japanese yakuza guy I know rocking some while taking a picture with one of his favorite idols:

There's bigger sizes available at Blue in Green, but if you're losing weight I wouldn't do it. Would be a shame if they don't fit anymore after a couple of month.

Also, Evisu has some jeans with clean backpockets.

I know we have other cyclists/motorbikers in here...

Aside from outlier, who is always out of stock, are there any other nice brands that make clothes for people with a penchant for two-wheeled modes of transportation? Thanks, bye.

Kraftwerk

I know we have other cyclists/motorbikers in here...

Aside from outlier, who is always out of stock, are there any other nice brands that make clothes for people with a penchant for two-wheeled modes of transportation? Thanks, bye.

Rapha is the pinnacle. Minimalist design and the quality of their products is unparalleled.

I own a few jackets, shirts and jerseys/bibs and gloves from them. Always get a compliment when I am riding.

www.rapha.cc/

Still browsing for the right Harrington but I already know I'm going to spend some money on the Persona Q soundtrack off amazon japan with this coming paycheck.

I did see and try on this pair of Ray-Bans at Costco (of all places) and am thinking about buying them...

Thoughts? The regular aviators they had fit as well, but the earpieces are super-thin.

I think they look nice.

There's bigger sizes available at Blue in Green, but if you're losing weight I wouldn't do it. Would be a shame if they don't fit anymore after a couple of month.

Also, Evisu has some jeans with clean backpockets.

I was doing some more searching on clothing stores in my area, and found that a selvage denim company called Maruni is based there. Their go-to back pocket design appears to be two crossed samurai swords:

That's different, at least. I don't hate it.

They also make these kind of rough-looking (neppy?) jeans with strips of selvage across the back pocket....

Which makes this Evisu x SugarCane collab's backside look classy:

I had no idea those backpockets were painted on before just now, though. That makes it seem like a nicer touch.

Kraftwerk told me to buy a shirt so I went over to the new uniqlo pop up store that opened nearby and got the white oxford. I really can't imagine any other place that has such good shirts for such a low price.

Kraftwerk told me to buy a shirt so I went over to the new uniqlo pop up store that opened nearby and got the white oxford. I really can't imagine any other place that has such good shirts for such a low price.

I really like their denim shirts. Solid quality for an inexpensive price and is a nice compliment with chinos.

Just bought one of their easy care shirts yesterday and I still laugh at how other places would easily charge me double the price for the same type of shirt.

NinjaBoiX

Are you skint Bam?

:p

Good for you bro, you don't need to spend silly money on wanky designer labels to be "fashionable". Proper cool cats slum it and still look fly as fuck innit.

sorta manshion related but I got my wife a karung (aka watersnake) clutch-thing with a card-holder thing from kiki de montparnasse, among some other unmentionables, and now I want a karung wallet but those don't seem to exist for dudes. i might actually call em up and get one of their billfolds. billfold wallets are unisex right?

Kyne

I'm thin but not built in the slightest. My body kind of looks like it is slouching even when I am standing straight. My motivation to work out is difficult to maintain too.

ooooooooo. I had(have?) this problem. I have to shrink most of my clothes and a lot of the times I buy from online asian retailers. It sucks mang. I've recently starting working out though. Single life is cool but I think I'd like to get back into the dating game.. :x (that's my inspiration for continuing to work out anyway)

Kraftwerk

sorta manshion related but I got my wife a karung (aka watersnake) clutch-thing with a card-holder thing from kiki de montparnasse, among some other unmentionables, and now I want a karung wallet but those don't seem to exist for dudes. i might actually call em up and get one of their billfolds. billfold wallets are unisex right?

You are worried about sexuality with that avatar?

#avatarshaming

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You could literally shop a Walmart logo onto that cowboy tee and no one would bat an eye. Sometimes you kids are too much.

Kraftwerk

You could literally shop a Walmart logo onto that cowboy tee and no one would bat an eye. Sometimes you kids are too much.

Not really. You develop an eye for good quality stuff. Even if you cant tell the difference by looking, the moment you touch and feel the fabric it becomes obvious.

Now, excuse me while I go style on some fools;

o4sWnat.jpg

$899

Top Bottom