• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think Jay Z ruined Tom Ford.

Get out, love that song. Also TF suits are nice.

I'm putting my money on bowties.

Too late.

doctor-who-001-main.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Girl’s Eye View: Most Hated Menswear Pieces

I found this quote in particular to be very relevant to the discussions in this thread:

In true Yorkshire style, Jenny had plenty to say when it came to her hated menswear pieces. However, her shortlist included over the top military (almost to the point of costume) and low scoop/v-necks. “Tacky, cheap-looking and boring”, this combination of design aesthetic and jock-inspired apparel tries so hard to be masculine that it does the complete opposite.

And it seems we have one gentleman to blame for setting the standard so high: “if you’re not Ryan Gosling, you can’t pull it off.” Just another example of the man himself placing the rest of us in his shadow – where is your solidarity, brother?

Where is your god now?

Dimitra, 27, Online Editor
Most Hated: Super Skinny Jeans
Although my pal Dimitra may be from Athens, bad menswear is a global epidemic that we can all diagnose.

“Super skinny jeans are the worst,” she whimpers (unfortunately, I’m too inept to make an animated gif of her eye roll – it’s particularly devastating though). “Turned up at the bottom, they’re horrible.”

I must admit, spray-on denims are a fast route to throwing off a meticulously sculpted silhouette and can create all sorts of uneven proportions.

Style Fox on blast.

Alucrid

Banned
Girl’s Eye View: Most Hated Menswear Pieces

I found this quote in particular to be very relevant to the discussions in this thread:

Where is your god now?

Random girl from random site hates random shit. NOOOOO NOT YOU JENNY. NOT JENNY FROM YORKSHIRE. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Real talk. Fuck that shit. Fuck sites that love to use the words "timeless" and "classic." Fuck sites that post a bunch of boring pictures after a bunch of boring text. Fuck sites that layout outfits on their stupid hardwood floors.

Style Fox on blast.

midnights don't even wear super skinny jeans bro.

giga

So you guys wear scoop shirts to impress other dudes then.

"Check out my sick traps bro."
I already have a SO. If it's not to please her, I buy to please myself. You gotta look in the mirror sometimes and tell yourself "Fuck, I'm sexy."

That said, I agree with most of the suggestions on that site.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Random girl from random site hates random shit. NOOOOO NOT YOU JENNY. NOT JENNY FROM YORKSHIRE. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Real talk. Fuck that shit. Fuck sites that love to use the words "timeless" and "classic." Fuck sites that post a bunch of boring pictures after a bunch of boring text. Fuck sites that layout outfits on their stupid hardwood floors.

So what sites do you prefer then? Sites that don't have text discussing fashion and don't point out particular articles of clothing that they like? These are all opinions, you are free to agree or disagree with them.

I like fashion blogs, and this one is among my favorites. I agree with some of the stuff they post and I disagree with some of the stuff they post. On this particular point I tend to agree - scoop shirts and other low cut shirts can look comical if you don't have the build for it, and most guys don't.

Boken

Banned
I already have a SO. If it's not to please her, I buy to please myself. You gotta look in the mirror sometimes and tell yourself "Fuck, I'm sexy."

That said, I agree with most of the suggestions on that site.
Yeah I dress for myself. But you gotta accept that some people just see appropriate fashion as a way to impress the opposite sex

overcast

I dress to feel good about myself, and of course to impress women.

Scoop/V necks look great, so I'm not sure what she's talking about.

Alucrid

Banned
So what sites do you prefer then? Sites that don't have text discussing fashion and don't point out particular articles of clothing that they like? These are all opinions, you are free to agree or disagree with them.

I like fashion blogs, and this one is among my favorites. I agree with some of the stuff they post and I disagree with some of the stuff they post. On this particular point I tend to agree - scoop shirts and other low cut shirts can look comical if you don't have the build for it, and most guys don't.

I like sites whose arguments about clothing isn't summed up by, "You aren't Ryan Gosling, try hard." I like sites that have interesting discussions about people's personal style, not a bunch of random people from Yorkshire spewing garbage.

Scoop necks look better on thinner people.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I like sites whose arguments about clothing isn't summed up by, "You aren't Ryan Gosling, try hard." I like sites that have interesting discussions about people's personal style, not a bunch of random people from Yorkshire spewing garbage.

Scoop necks look better on thinner people.

You should check out some of their other articles, they are actually quite thoughtful when it comes to fashion advice and discussion of trends.

I'd actually be interested in what blogs/sites people here tend to frequent. I'm always up for more fashion reading.

Let's be honest here. THIS is the one and only place you should be getting fashion advice at.

Thanks for making me spew tea through my nose. It burns.

Alucrid

Banned
You should check out some of their other articles, they are actually quite thoughtful when it comes to fashion advice and discussion of trends.

I'd actually be interested in what blogs/sites people here tend to frequent. I'm always up for more fashion reading.

Thanks for making me spew tea through my nose. It burns.

I provided mine in the OP. I did look through the site a bit more and found an old article supporting the scoop neck.

Anyways here's real people talking real shit all real like

http://www.styleforum.net/t/355420/what-is-styleforum-wearing-7-19-2013/0_100

Boken

Banned
I've never worn nice sneakers. Always been a dress shoe person.

I'm scared and excited, mac.

Do the SL high tops only go with skinnies

How do I wear them with slims

Help

hightops generally need a taper or some kind of slim bottom, exceptions are chunkier varieties and the slp hi's are definitely not those.

but let's put it this way, I had a friend who cared diddly shit about fashion sneaks until I cajoled him to try on a pair of ferragamo highs he dug at a store. instant convert.

Boken

Banned
But should I get SL highs or CP sneaks with them tiny holes punched into em? The SL looks nicer but highs scare me

You mean the CP perfs? Those are pretty classic, super easy to wear. They'll look clean with just about anything.

With that said I'm pretty partial to high-tops. I don't own many sneakers, but the few that I do are all high-tops. I feel like they have higher upside fashion wise, they have more potential to stand out and really contribute to a look. They're not hard to wear, stop telling yourself that.

assuming you are talking about the perf/suede combo, boken? I've seen them in person, they are great great shoes. That said, they run small IME (and backed up by other places on the internets), so consider going up a size. I'm a 9 in chuck taylors and a 43/10 fit appropriately.

Boken

Banned
You mean the CP perfs? Those are pretty classic, super easy to wear. They'll look clean with just about anything.

With that said I'm pretty partial to high-tops. I don't own many sneakers, but the few that I do are all high-tops. I feel like they have higher upside fashion wise, they have more potential to stand out and really contribute to a look. They're not hard to wear, stop telling yourself that.
I'm sensitive about my height hence the paranoia

assuming you are talking about the perf/suede combo, boken? I've seen them in person, they are great great shoes. That said, they run small IME (and backed up by other places on the internets), so consider going up a size. I'm a 9 in chuck taylors and a 43/10 fit appropriately.
common-projects-white-perforated-summer-edition-in-white-product-1-10124392-855125153_large_flex.jpeg

Top Bottom