• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

TCRS

Banned
I have an interview coming up and I want to wear an anthracite coloured suite with a light grey shirt. What kind of tie goes with it, what colour etc? Should it have a pattern?

The interview is for an internship in an engineering field. blue suit with light blue shirt screems 'finance guy' to me and just isn't fitting. I want to wear a suit but it has to be understated and a bit 'boring' to fit the engineering position. no stark contrasts or anything. hence my choice of colour. what do you think?

nick nacc

Banned
Question for you guys. Do I have to buy designer $100 plus jeans for them to be skinny AND stretchy? I don't play that uncomfortable shit.

I specialize in boring grey suits! if by anthracite you mean dark silvery grey, I'd go with a midgrey tie with thin silver stripes, or a similarly nondescript pattern in a fairly uniform tone, or with a tiny pit of contrast. how light grey is the shirt?

something like this would be a good template, though the shirt is blue

bryan-cranston-gq-magazine-august-2013-07.jpg

TCRS

Banned
it's much darker than that. it actually says black/grey, I don't know why I thought of anthracite. here's the suit I'm thinking of buying:

ZeYapqU.jpg

and the shirt:

T9tkdMK.jpg

there is a picture with a guy wearing it but the light makes it look much lighter than in the picture above: http://i.imgur.com/3ujPPbg.jpg

I thought that'd look professional but boring enough. so yeah I need a tie with that. still a midgrey tie?

edit: I'm not planning on wearing a waistcoat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Question for you guys. Do I have to buy designer $100 plus jeans for them to be skinny AND stretchy? I don't play that uncomfortable shit.

Most of Cheap Monday's jeans are 2% elastane, $50-$90 range.

Some Levi's 510 are %1 elastane, not really sure if it's consistent or random. Their fits are all over the place these days, but I've never once had an issue with the overall quality despite a negative reputation from srs denim people.

I specialize in boring grey suits! if by anthracite you mean dark silvery grey, I'd go with a midgrey tie with thin silver stripes, or a similarly nondescript pattern in a fairly uniform tone, or with a tiny pit of contrast. how light grey is the shirt?

something like this would be a good template, though the shirt is blue

bryan-cranston-gq-magazine-august-2013-07.jpg
dang that's a beautiful suit

obin_gam

H&M has this really good looking trench coat for the late sumer /early autumn.
QZachJu.png

Sadly the beige one seems to be out. Only the black one is still available.

Should I take a chance at the black one or wait and see if the beige one will turn up sometime? (when it will maybe be too late and autumn will have already turned to winter)

tcCOjox.png
5HRE5qx.png

a black trench is fine, but a beige trench gives a much cooler/stylish summer vibe to me; and it's on my shortlist of things to buy in the near future.
it's much darker than that. it actually says black/grey, I don't know why I thought of anthracite. here's the suit I'm thinking of buying:

ZeYapqU.jpg

and the shirt:

T9tkdMK.jpg

there is a picture with a guy wearing it but the light makes it look much lighter than in the picture above: http://i.imgur.com/3ujPPbg.jpg

I thought that'd look professional but boring enough. so yeah I need a tie with that. still a midgrey tie?

edit: I'm not planning on wearing a waistcoat.
yeah, i'd go halfway on the tie, somewhere in the middle of the shirt/suit.

and there is nothing boring about grey! >:{

Shiv47

Uniqlo does skinny, stretchy jeans, found here. Just go to the "Stretch" section. I have a couple pair, they're comfortable as hell. And only $30 a pop.

Are they "denim" or denim? Or kind of a normal pant material. They kind of look like the latter to me based off pictures.
denim, they say they're from japan too

wait, I'm totally talking about the Skinny ones. Didn't see the Stretch option. The Skinnies say they're a bit stretchy too though

MegalonJJ

Banned
H&M has this really good looking trench coat for the late sumer /early autumn.
QZachJu.png

Sadly the beige one seems to be out. Only the black one is still available.

Should I take a chance at the black one or wait and see if the beige one will turn up sometime? (when it will maybe be too late and autumn will have already turned to winter)

tcCOjox.png
5HRE5qx.png

Considering H&M is garbage tier quality, I suggest you get a beige one from Burberry (either Prorsum or London).

I have some skinny jeans from H&M that I absolutely love. They're pretty stretchy and super comfortable. Fabric is shit though. I'm about done with them after a year in my closet.

Kill City, as mentioned before, make some amazing jeans, but they'll run you closer to 100 bucks.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
blog_081514_TK_Shatoshi_6419.jpg

good Lawd!

Tried this on tonight for a laugh. Shit's every bit as heavy as that price tag; I'd roast alive wearing it. The cut is, um... unique. Very 1980s women's dept.

There was a pretty rad Dries black denim jacket I liked, though.

Probity

I've never really been into fashion, but now that I am approaching the closing years of high school I am starting to see and understand the appeal. Everything looks incredible, but I really don't have the money for most of the stuff I have been liking. I'm also seeing a big trend in most of the sites to the major multicolored designs and I don't really like it. Solid and subtle is more my thing, but I don't know much about fashion at all, just what I've read here. I don't think I have the money to look this good, and I don't even know what kind of style I could really rock.

I really like somewhat nicer clothes - stuff like slacks and button-ups and maybe ties and certain shoes. I just think walking around with slacks all the time at this point might be just too excessive. It is hard to get a good balance between dressing nice and fitting trends, because judgement is extreme if I overdo or underachieve. Ah well, glad this thread exists though, seeing so much great style choices. Wish it was more affordable though.

nick nacc

Banned
I have a couple of pairs of Diesel jeans and they are insanely comfortable and stretchy. They are over $100, though.

I'm a commercial photographer and just got back from a fashion trade show (magic) in Vegas. The Diesel booth had the most stretchy amazing jeans that prompted the question.

CFMOORE!

^ they're being idiots. considering the dumb shit people post in here as "looking dope" and "must cop", their opinions of a shirt which has a different pattern in the cuff should have no bearing on what you personally like. if they were $500, some insane blindingly bad pattern, or on a different model in some paris fashion show, someone in here talking shit would probably want to buy it

hey don't bring my ugly shirts into this

re: the shirt question, 'contrast cuff' is something you can probably svpply or google shop for, or however you redcoats sort through shopping on the internet. I'm not going to be of much help as I'm in the US, sadly.

^ they're being idiots. considering the dumb shit people post in here as "looking dope" and "must cop", their opinions of a shirt which has a different pattern in the cuff should have no bearing on what you personally like. if they were $500, some insane blindingly bad pattern, or on a different model in some paris fashion show, someone in here talking shit would probably want to buy it

Bullshit. This is Margiela and cost 425 and I wouldn't buy it if it was the last shirt on it.

Why would you encourage him to get those shirts?

Lol i already love this thread, should have joined you guys earlier

Once you get into the fashion world online, you realize the ridiculousness of it all is half the fun.

My poor-ass wardrobe would earn no cred around here whatsoever but it sure is entertaining.

NinjaBoiX

You guys are alright, I love this thread!

I wouldn't dare leave the house if I had Illithid's wardrobe. Not because it's awful per se (although a large portion of the things he posts are a little, um, "flamboyant and fruity" for my tastes) but because I'd feel like I wouldn't want my clothes to brush against anything for fear of causing £100 worth of damage.

lol at those socks though.

(I assume that was a gag!)

Top Bottom