• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Shun

Looking for new frames to complement my contacts.

Any of these? I can't decide between a thinner or thicker frame.

$_57-2.JPG

$_57-1.JPG

$_57.JPG

I don't like the first one: too profiled for vision glasses
The third need to have the rest of look coherent IMHO
So by default the second pairs.

OK I've officially fallen in the depths of fashion hell:

Ordered my first pair of Common Projects
44717458HM_21_e.jpg

And this Christopher Raeburn jacket
41472010bw_21_a.jpg

Does anyone know of any brands that sell high collar dress shirts?
they are not very common at all, the only one i've come across off the rack is barba napoli* but that is $$$ and hard to find anyway. so if you're a tall dude or a guy with a longer neck, or both, made to measure is probably the best bet. while i've never used them, I hear good thing about modern tailor, and browsing the site they have some high collar options. the general consensus tho with online MTM is it might take a 'burner' shirt to dial in the sizing.

*granted i've never looked too hard for this.

Prozel

Looking for Denim and Red/Black Flannel shirt must be sold within Europe. Budget 100£ tops but wounldn't mind spending less?

Any suggestions? From small brands/big cartels shops to bigger brands.

Got a bunch of shit off of Asos. Two main things being a parka and a bomber jacket.

The bomber jacket is navy, has a weird detachable hood that I'll never use but otherwise is really cool. The parka is nice, although I ordered a grey one and got an olive one. Was actually looking for an olive one in the first place and didn't particularly like any so I'm not upset with it (I'll keep it) but it seems a bit suspect that they'd send me something the wrong colour.

The video game fashion thread is.... interesting. Kinda tempted to make a thread about what everyone's individual idea of fashion/style/looking good is in OT but not sure if that's a stupid idea.

Prozel

Looking for Denim and Red/Black Flannel shirt must be sold within Europe. Budget 100£ tops but wounldn't mind spending less?

Any suggestions? From small brands/big cartels shops to bigger brands.

Bumping as I'm also looking for a green/blackish Camo shirt (button Down) aswell.

Dany

Banned
Heyo folks.

What are some good shorts with some narrow leg openings? Maybe its just me but the ones from j crew seem to flap outwards a lot.

My favorite cheap, plain tees are from everlane at $15: https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-tees
I've used Everlane in the past for one-color crew neck shirts but that's more simple than I was thinking, I still want multiple colors or stripes or pockets or something, just no graphics or *shudder* floral print.

Also as far as narrow shorts go, I just bought two pairs from Banana Republic so I'll be able to chime in in a few days. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1026842&vid=1&pid=187154012 and http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1026842&vid=1&pid=187156012

Also is there a sizable difference between Jcrew Factory and the regular Jcrew, I'm assuming there is a quality (and sizing?) difference, but how big?

CatPee

Banana Republic shorts still flare a tiny bit for me, but a quick cuff of the hem does the trick, in my experience. J.Crew Bowery shorts are my favorites. Regular size for a snug fit or size up one for a slightly relaxed but still trim fit.

CatPee

So I need to buy a business suit that's cheap and yet not terrible.

SuitSupply, or Indochino, if you want some level of customizing. Those are in the ~$400-600 range and I'm not sure what you mean by cheap though. J.Crew sometimes throw some suits into the sale category while there's a 40% off sale discount going on, pushing a set down into the ~$350 range, but it doesn't happen often.

If you mean cheap as in $200-ish, go to JC Penney and look for decent-fitting 100% wool suits. Last I looked, their in-house Claiborne brand made some decent stuff.

Branduil

I might be able to afford a better one later but for now, it needs to be as cheap as possible while still being professional.

There's a JC Penney near me so I guess I'll check there.

overcast

I like the look of the Zara one, but I'm not sure I would trust a Zara jacket if you want a "quality" one. I personally don't give a shit.

Personally, I prefer an even more plain bomber to start.

overcast

Love the brown and black shoes, damnn.

Bat, I think to start you just need to get clothes that fit you well. That's one of the biggest things.

If anybody would like to give any pointers. What would look good on me.

I'm wearing my, I know I'm not going head out clothing in this picture.

Bat, I think to start you just need to get clothes that fit you well. That's one of the biggest things.

I am definitely in the process of that, I have a lot clothes that are pretty big on me or just fit awkwardly. Although, I need better jeans/pants for sure.. <.<

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Looking for suggestions on a light weight slim fit dark color jacket. Trying to stay under $150 and absolutely under $200. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I do like the look of this one from Zara

I have a lightweight faux suede (which is actually nice for Seattle weather) bomber from Zara that I like quite a bit. Dark blue, very minimal, perfect fit. No quality complaints on my end. Original price was around $100, picked it up for $30 in a seasonal clearance.

that contrast sleeve zara bomber is slick, the first looks a little too 'knit' to make a good all-purpose outerwear item, and the two links, even though they are zip sweaters, aren't very good 'outerwear', of that makes sense.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Heyo folks.

What are some good shorts with some narrow leg openings? Maybe its just me but the ones from j crew seem to flap outwards a lot.

I have pretty skinny legs and have a hard time finding shorts that look good. I know it's not some higher end store, but the lived in slim shorts from GAP(they sold them last summer) fit me perfectly. I hope they have them again this year, I'm not a big shorts guy but I need a few new pairs for vacation. And I tried the Jcrew shorts, not a fan either. They just don't work for me personally.

Also is there a sizable difference between Jcrew Factory and the regular Jcrew, I'm assuming there is a quality (and sizing?) difference, but how big?

I shop at both on the regular and I find that there is a difference in quality of materials and fabrics. Sizing and fit is generally the same across both. It's not that huge of a difference for the most part.
I work a day or so a week at a Jcrew for the discount

speaking of turning pants into shorts i got a pair of dress pants that will probably be used for this purpose as they taper ridiculously through the calf and look like leggings lol. yikes.

overcast

If anybody would like to give any pointers. What would look good on me.

I am definitely in the process of that, I have a lot clothes that are pretty big on me or just fit awkwardly. Although, I need better jeans/pants for sure.. <.<
Honestly, you don't need to think about it. We don't post a whole lot of inspiration here, but if you find a blog you can see some looks that you dig. Don't be stuck in the thought process that things have to look good on you. Most things that look good will look good. In general I think a well dressed person just looks better.

Some things are tough to pull off of course.
for anyone looking for good peacoat peep this hardy amies for $128, M-3XL

http://www.yoox.com/us/41478808MO/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=41478808MO&sizeId=

per the internet they seem to retail for close to a grand.
That's a nice coat, but I can't do pea's in So Cal. Need to start upping my tshirt game after these random cold days pass.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Looking for recommendations on a spring jacket. I start a new job in a week that will require me to use public transport since it's in the city and parking leases are insanely expensive. So I'll probably have to walk a block or two. Looking for something fairly light and waterproof in case I get caught in the rain, but also something that looks good. Not looking to spend a ton of money since I need to pick up a few other things. I was already looking at some of the lighter weight Penfield jackets, so maybe something along those lines.

Top Bottom