• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

dcdobson

Friends,

Could someone tell me what colors the suit and shirt in this picture are? I'm looking to pick up a similar combo. Thanks!

o1L1W2K.jpg

wickfut

Banned
We should really have a Euro vs American fashion thread as American fashion is a bit weird to us in the UK.

and new stuff (Cerruti shirt and Moschino jeans today, other stuff end of last month)

ofvzSV.jpg

mLgcac.jpg

Is there a guide to raw denim? I was gonna cop a black pair, but I don't know what any of this shit means? Crotch blowout? Fade? After how many washes does the fade kick in? How often do you wash barring a spill/stain?

I was gonna buy the Gustin black ones in a few weeks probably.
Warning: Incoming long raw denim post.

Raw denim is how all jeans were made back in the 40s and 50s. The stiff/thick/uncomfortable characteristic of most raw denim was the standard for that era. Eventually, America started pre-washing and distressing jeans because they were more comfortable that way, but by doing so, you're actually taking years off the jeans' life. Think about raw denim the same way you'd break in a pair of boots or a baseball glove. It'll be uncomfortable at the start (most likely), but after a few weeks in, and certainly a few months, they'll probably be the most comfortable jeans you own.

Denim will fade as the dye (typically indigo) strips off from wear. Creases, abrasions, scuffs, basically anything or anywhere that creates tension with the fabric, will lose it's color, thus creating the "fade." Black denim notoriously doesn't fade nearly as fast, so that's something to keep in mind if you're looking to get something faded out. I have a pair of black Naked & Famous that I've been working on for 4 years. It took about 2 to get where they'd be considered "faded out."

Eventually, you'll wear the jeans to the point that they'll need to be repaired. The crotch is typically the first thing to go, since, if you're getting your jeans on the tighter side, that's where a lot of tension is placed. Once a hole starts forming, you can get it fixed by anyone with a darning machine (Self Edge LA, Railcar Fine Goods, etc.).

You'll definitely want to wash your jeans at some point, don't buy into the myth. I see guys who don't wash their jeans for 4 years, and guys who wash their jeans every 2 weeks. There's not much of a difference in the finished product other than the fact that one smells drastically better. The idea behind not washing your denim is that, the creases/scuffs will become more defined, so that when you do finally wash them, the indigo loss in those areas will be more extreme, creating higher contrast fades. I'll admit, there is some truth to this, but ultimately, I don't think it's worth wearing around a pair of smelly pants for years just for the "fades." With that said, unless you're working construction, or at a coffee shop, or somewhere that you'd sweat a lot, you should be able to get at least 6-12 months out of your jeans without washing them. You'd be surprised how well raw denim holds up, smell wise. When you do finally wash them, do cold water, inside out, and hang dry. Always stay away from heat and/or the dryer.

Hope that helps. Raw denim is one of the rare things in fashion that is both highly fashionable and functional at the same time. Definitely a great investment.

SuperSah

Banned
I just discovered the "pin roll" technique for jeans.

Tried it with my black skinny jeans and ZX Flux and it looks absolutely perfect.

JackEtc

Picked up the white/gum stans a week or two ago and returned them in-store the day I received them. Didn't like em in person. And I felt like the show looked huge/clown shoe-ish on me....=\

I wanna grab a pair of the OG white/green colorway but I'm afraid of the clown shoe look not going away. Probably gonna go into a store and try on a half size down and see if that does it.

Tried it with my black skinny jeans and ZX Flux and it looks absolutely perfect.

Pinrolling is a game-changer. I think it looks a lot cleaner compared to joggers

GTFan712 DA GAWD has a great tutorial here for the best possible pinroll if you haven't already seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrndUAUe9s

X-Frame

First time shopping at Uniqlo I bought a few dress shirts that fit great but the sleeves are about 2 inches too long.

Their shirts are just S, M, L, etc and give an estimate on chest size -- I assume that all the sleeve lengths are the same which means I'll need to have each sleeve tailored?

EDIT: Nevermind, with the sleeves unbuttoned the sleeves come to the middle of my hand, which from what I am reading is where they should fall so that when buttoned I have enough sleeve length to raise my arms which has been a problem for me with the shirts I have. I guess my sleeve length has been too short for years .. wow.

SuperSah

Banned
Pinrolling is a game-changer. I think it looks a lot cleaner compared to joggers

GTFan712 DA GAWD has a great tutorial here for the best possible pinroll if you haven't already seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrndUAUe9s

Yup, this is the one I used.

Makes it easier to pair jeans and traineds together, keeps the trainer bold without interruption of the jean leg, and I personally like the small bit of skin showing.

Quick

Banned
I'm jumping into trying out bow ties to mix up with neck ties on a regular basis, and I was wondering if suspenders are mandatory to match it up with? I'm picking one up either way, but I'm not sure I'd want to constantly wear it anytime I wear the bow tie.

This is the exact type of pant roll I've been looking to do, but never really bothered looking up. Game changer indeed.

depends on what kind of bow tie vibe you're going for. I would really only wear one with a tux/dinner or smoking jacket, but I think just replacing a regular straight tie with one is all you need to do. tho I think the blazer or suit should be a little funky vs a standard business number.

Can someone recommend an affordable denim( < $100 range) that fits slim in the lower leg opening but isn't tight in the crotch/ass? I'm skinny, but I guess I have a bit of an ass from exercise. I can never seem to find some that fits both needs. I've only worn levis for the most part and their denim seems to get worse every year. The last ones I tried were paper thin and felt like spandex in them(511 style)

I actually dig the blazer and think the fit works for his body type, but everything from the waist down is a freaking mess. Yikes.

Can someone recommend an affordable denim( < $100 range) that fits slim in the lower leg opening but isn't tight in the crotch/ass? I'm skinny, but I guess I have a bit of an ass from exercise. I can never seem to find some that fits both needs. I've only worn levis for the most part and their denim seems to get worse every year. The last ones I tried were paper thin and felt like spandex in them(511 style)
You looking for raw denim or just standard pre-washed stuff? Regardless, you might consider something with some stretch fabric in it. I know you said you've (probably) worn stretch fabric before, but maybe try looking for something with say, 2% elastane, rather than 5-10%? It'll feel less like spandex that way, but still provide you a little more flexibility and comfort and you'll be able to keep the leg opening slim.

You looking for raw denim or just standard pre-washed stuff? Regardless, you might consider something with some stretch fabric in it. I know you said you've (probably) worn stretch fabric before, but maybe try looking for something with say, 2% elastane, rather than 5-10%? It'll feel less like spandex that way, but still provide you a little more flexibility and comfort and you'll be able to keep the leg opening slim.

Just pre-washed stuff, I guess. I saw a brand called nudie that I really liked, but those are crazy expensive. I think the levis are the same 2% elastine. I might just have to fork out the extra to finally get something that I like

Nudie would certainly work. Definitely out of the price range you listed but I see Nudie on sale quite often online. You'll definitely find more options in the $100-$200 range if you can spare to spend a little bit more.

You won't find much in the denim world under $100 unless you want stuff from H&M, Urban Outfitters or Zumiez, which would all probably have something that would qualify as the fit that you're looking for, it'll just be paper thin and cheap as hell.

NinjaBoiX

Thinking of picking these up:

71l-F%2BkRSqL._UY576_CR0,0,430,576_.jpg
Fly. Do it!

I don't understand why anyone would choose to do this. That looks awful, like denim jogging pants or something. Eww.

SuperSah

Banned
Yeah, I guess I can see that. But if the answer is to roll your jeans up like your going paddling then I dunno, I'd just wear different jeans.

I guess it depends how you do it.

I did it to college today and people told me it looked and suited me, and one random guy asked how to do such a clean roll!

Of course, some friends will be nice, but it was also comfy and nice looking to me, and I don't really try to please people, at the end of the day it is my clothing etc etc.

Quick

Banned
depends on what kind of bow tie vibe you're going for. I would really only wear one with a tux/dinner or smoking jacket, but I think just replacing a regular straight tie with one is all you need to do. tho I think the blazer or suit should be a little funky vs a standard business number.

Thanks. I picked up a burgundy tie (both normal and bow tie) to match up with my navy suit. I figured it would be a nice contrast.

Any recommendations for places to go suit shopping in Cincinnati Ohio? I'm going to be up there this weekend. Considering it's a much bigger city than I live in I figure there should be some pretty decent shops. I've considered getting a custom suit made, but I'm still holding out hope I can find an off the shelf item that fits me well with minimal alterations. Trouble I've had so far is finding a euro look that fits my shoulders. I'm 6'-1", 195 Lbs, 34 waist, and typically wear a 41 or 42R jacket. I've tried and sent back Ralph Laruen Black and Polo suits, both of which were tight in my shoulders, though I did liked the general cut elsewhere.

I'm looking for a sub $2000 suit for my wedding.

I found this place: http://www.blainesapparel.com/
Will probably run by there on unless I call and they say they don't have much of a selection of suits in 41 or 42R in navy.

I'm looking for something along these lines.
Pal-Zileri-hp-GQ-19Jun14_pr_b_642x390.jpg

Perhaps there is a gaf thread more tailored towards formal wear... but I haven't found it.

Cheers

don't have any specific advice re: stores but i'd imagine if you have a saks or something similar you could probably get hickey freeman or isaia (sale) for about that price.

Nudie would certainly work. Definitely out of the price range you listed but I see Nudie on sale quite often online. You'll definitely find more options in the $100-$200 range if you can spare to spend a little bit more.

You won't find much in the denim world under $100 unless you want stuff from H&M, Urban Outfitters or Zumiez, which would all probably have something that would qualify as the fit that you're looking for, it'll just be paper thin and cheap as hell.

Yeah, that's the thing I dislike the most - that paper thin crap. Guess you get what you pay for like everything else in life

Needed a lightweight linen shirt I could wear in hot weather so I picked this up but it's pretty hard to roll up the sleeves (is this a sign it's too small?) and it's kinda constricting around the shoulder area. It's an XS slim. Should I go to a small slim? XS regular? help I have no idea what I'm doing with button down fits

I do like how it fits around the chest though

SuperSah said:

Yeah if I ever pick up black/white flyknits I'd either use a pinroll with slim jeans or black joggers, looks great imo

Quick

Banned
You could buy a size up and get it altered to fit exactly to how you want it.

Otherwise, if the shoulder tightness isn't too big an issue, it looks fine.

Speaking of the pin roll technique, I suck at doing it. Maybe my jeans are too tight (slim jeans), but shit just unravels or looks really messy when I do it.

You could buy a size up and get it altered to fit exactly to how you want it.

Otherwise, if the shoulder tightness isn't too big an issue, it looks fine.

Speaking of the pin roll technique, I suck at doing it. Maybe my jeans are too tight (slim jeans), but shit just unravels or looks really messy when I do it.
No point in doing a lot of alterations for a casual shirt at my age I don't think. Oh well, I'll try the extra small OG and small slim

Apeopleman

I would like a few opinions.

I was at Nordstrom Rack, and came across these:

FviuKTq.jpg

QGDaweB.jpg

nXZ5eg9.jpg

The brand is Donald J. Pliner. Supposedly "retails" for 300 USD. Marked down price is 89 USD

According to some research, the quality is slightly above generic shoe lines.

They fit very comfortably, and I like them. My dress code for work is smart casual/business casual and these would be allowed. Only concern is versatility. What the hell would I wear them with?

Opinions on if I should buy or not.

the red stitching makes them somewhat of a challenge imo, in the sense of making them more casual than otherwise. i could see it working with lightweight summer stuff; light-toned neutral chinos, simple button up, a plaid or pattered a-2, maybe along these lines

nHbcQVa.jpg

if you like em, go for it

NinjaBoiX

I would like a few opinions.

I was at Nordstrom Rack, and came across these:

FviuKTq.jpg

QGDaweB.jpg

nXZ5eg9.jpg

The brand is Donald J. Pliner. Supposedly "retails" for 300 USD. Marked down price is 89 USD

According to some research, the quality is slightly above generic shoe lines.

They fit very comfortably, and I like them. My dress code for work is smart casual/business casual and these would be allowed. Only concern is versatility. What the hell would I wear them with?

Opinions on if I should buy or not.
I quite like the red sole and laces, very outlandish but I think it could work. I'm not sold on the denim coloured suede thing going on with the upper part of the shoe though. I dunno, if it was just blue leather I think they'd be pretty funky, but as they are I'm not a massive fan. Denim shoes, hmmm...

Having said that, such a bold fashion statement should be rocked with conviction so if you think they're cool don't let anyone dissuade you.

Apeopleman

I would say no.

I quite like the red sole and laces, very outlandish but I think it could work. I'm not sold on the denim coloured suede thing going on with the upper part of the shoe though. I dunno, if it was just blue leather I think they'd be pretty funky, but as they are I'm not a massive fan. Denim shoes, hmmm...

Having said that, such a bold fashion statement should be rocked with conviction so if you think they're cool don't let anyone dissuade you.

Thanks for the replies!

Just a note: They are suede, not denim.

I am really leaning towards them. Decisions decisions....

Top Bottom