• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

zeitgeist

I need help suiting up.

I've been looking at the navy blue suits / blazers at Banana republic but I'm not sure if I should go with wool, cotton or linen. Any differences I should consider?

I have a DKNY suit and the jacket is a bit big on me now. It's 44R but I just figure BR makes everything slimmer so staying with 44r might make sense.

I'm also not totally committed to BR. Any suggestions?

I like them

11256500_10153358761362502_1535361279_n.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

Just a note: They are suede, not denim.

I am really leaning towards them. Decisions decisions....
Just buy them, dude. You clearly like them. Who cares what GAF thinks. Buy them now and force yourself to build outfits around them. You might surprise yourself and realize they really aren't that hard to build around.

I need help suiting up.

I've been looking at the navy blue suits / blazers at Banana republic but I'm not sure if I should go with wool, cotton or linen. Any differences I should consider?

I have a DKNY suit and the jacket is a bit big on me now. It's 44R but I just figure BR makes everything slimmer so staying with 44r might make sense.

The materials are going to make a world of difference. Wool is going to be the heaviest/warmest, cotton in the middle, and linen a bit more breathable (although I'm assuming it's not a 100% linen suit and a linen/cotton blend). Keep that in mind depending on what you're buying the suit for. Do you need it for a summer wedding? Go with cotton or linen. Do you live in a colder climate and need it for work? Go with wool. Other than that, the materials are going to give the suit a different look. I've always been partial to wool suits because I like my fabrics to have more texture to them. Cotton tends to look very plain in my opinion, but once again, that's great for summer. Cotton/linen blend is a great combo but could be a little lightweight for wearing it this Fall/Winter.

Are you ordering online? Can you not go in and try the jacket on? If not, double check the measurements on the Banana Republic website. Tag size, while better with suiting, is a tough thing to go off of because every brand sizes differently. For reference, I'm a 40 in some jackets and a 44 in others. It's just the nature of the business. Ultimately, as long as you get the shoulders right, you can technically tailor just about anything else, but of course, it'll probably be cheaper to get it right at the start.

Hope that helps.

zeitgeist

The materials are going to make a world of difference. Wool is going to be the heaviest/warmest, cotton in the middle, and linen a bit more breathable (although I'm assuming it's not a 100% linen suit and a linen/cotton blend). Keep that in mind depending on what you're buying the suit for. Do you need it for a summer wedding? Go with cotton or linen. Do you live in a colder climate and need it for work? Go with wool. Other than that, the materials are going to give the suit a different look. I've always been partial to wool suits because I like my fabrics to have more texture to them. Cotton tends to look very plain in my opinion, but once again, that's great for summer. Cotton/linen blend is a great combo but could be a little lightweight for wearing it this Fall/Winter.

Are you ordering online? Can you not go in and try the jacket on? If not, double check the measurements on the Banana Republic website. Tag size, while better with suiting, is a tough thing to go off of because every brand sizes differently. For reference, I'm a 40 in some jackets and a 44 in others. It's just the nature of the business. Ultimately, as long as you get the shoulders right, you can technically tailor just about anything else, but of course, it'll probably be cheaper to get it right at the start.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I guess trying stuff on makes the most sense and Linen sounds like the best option. I don't want it to be too warm as this is going to be my new go-to Navy suit and all cotton isn't as flashy.

Thank you for the advice!

Quick

Banned
I need help suiting up.

I just picked up a couple of suits from Banana Republic, they're not bad. Definitely better after alterations.

Speaking of BR: Any Canadians here that need a suit on the cheap, The Banana Republic Factory Store are selling jackets and pants at 50% off.

zeitgeist

I just picked up a couple of suits from Banana Republic, they're not bad. Definitely better after alterations.

Speaking of BR: Any Canadians here that need a suit on the cheap, The Banana Republic Factory Store are selling jackets and pants at 50% off.

Like the Keele and St. Clair one? That is amazing news. Hope it goes all weekend.

Quick

Banned
Like the Keele and St. Clair one? That is amazing news. Hope it goes all weekend.

Yeah, that's a BR Factory Store. I walked into one in the east end, and everything was slashed half off on top of how much it already was to begin with. And I think those markdowns aren't going away anytime soon.

I spoke to an employee who said BR might be moving away from business/suit attire soon. Might explain why they're doing a sale, other than being an outlet store.

Quick

Banned
Is there such a thing as slim-fit dress pants with some elastane as part of its material?

My favourite pair of jeans is a Levi's 511 stretch black, which is comfortable and has some stretch to it. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get away with wearing them as dress pants in the office (I work in the same area as the boss).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is there such a thing as slim-fit dress pants with some elastane as part of its material?.

I have a pair from Topman that definitely has a bit of elastane, and a pair from American Apparel (their "schoolboy" pants, iirc) that are a poly blend that I *think* has some as well.

jesalr

NinjaBoiX

Bought some tapered fit pants today. Not my usual style but they were cheap and I like the colour:

Open - £15
n5Qe5pd.jpg

The button for the fly is on the inside. Because why not.

Been buying a few pieces here and there for my trip to Europe for my cousin's wedding in Vienna.

Mostly just looking into buying lightweight chinos and will probably drop some cash for a G9 Harrington for the trip. Maybe another pair of jeans but still not sure.

Currently I'm tempted to buy these for the trip but dunno if I'll do it:

commonprojects-achilles-retro-low-white-green.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Really like a lot of those, but I can't pull off prints for shit. There are a few in there I want, though.

I would like to wear some of their clothes but that shit doesn't fit me at all -_-

Floral prints are somewhat difficult to pull off. One one hand it's easier to match because it usually has more color, on the other it's more difficult because it can look out of place, or over done, too flashy. You can't just put on a floral shirt like you can put on a regular shirt, it has to fit with either your personality or the context.

NinjaBoiX

Thinking about wearing a dark greyish/brown henley with it.
That jacket is cool!

But I wouldn't wear it with grey pants personally, that's too much grey. And then a greyish/brownish Henley with it too? Dude, you'll look like a wartime photograph.

I dunno man, I usually try and wear a different but complimentary colour top and bottom, or at least a different colour somewhere in the middle to break it up.

Also, I'm not usually a fan of too much of a drab colour, I like a splash of the vivid to my outfits.

My advice? I like the jacket, wear it with different colour pants, a dark red or pale blue might work well. Wear a bright coloured top underneath, possibly a printed tee. Crisp white trainers, done.

flyover

I guess if you've got $400 to burn on some trainers, you could do worse than those Common Projects. They are nice. Just make sure you like the way they look after some wear, too. I liked the gumsole models they released a few years back. Never bit on them, though.

Thinking about wearing a dark greyish/brown henley with it.
I don't think brown is going to be enough contrast. I think you either need something really bold underneath like a vibrant red or a royal blue, or go full grey monochromatic (which looks awesome if you can pull it off). The latter I think would be more rewarding, definitely harder though.

You guys said floral is dead.. Yet here we are in 2015 on Men's Fashion GAF and we're doing this?

Shocked tbh.
Floral is the new camo man, it'll never die. It's a #menswear staple now.

That jacket is cool!

But I wouldn't wear it with grey pants personally, that's too much grey. And then a greyish/brownish Henley with it too? Dude, you'll look like a wartime photograph.

I dunno man, I usually try and wear a different but complimentary colour top and bottom, or at least a different colour somewhere in the middle to break it up.

Also, I'm not usually a fan of too much of a drab colour, I like a splash of the vivid to my outfits.

My advice? I like the jacket, wear it with different colour pants, a dark red or pale blue might work well. Wear a bright coloured top underneath, possibly a printed tee. Crisp white trainers, done.

I don't think brown is going to be enough contrast. I think you either need something really bold underneath like a vibrant red or a royal blue, or go full grey monochromatic (which looks awesome if you can pull it off). The latter I think would be more rewarding, definitely harder though.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I could go a bit bolder with the colours, you've got a good point on that. My tastes generally run towards muted colours, so I wind up with dark reds, blues, whites, greys, etc. I do have a solid pale blue and solid red shirt that could look decent. I've also got medium blue khakis, which fit great, but was unsure if they'd work well. Maybe I should take a photo of a bunch of stuff?

I was considering wearing my new brown boots with the ensemble, but now I'm unsure.

I guess if you've got $400 to burn on some trainers, you could do worse than those Common Projects. They are nice. Just make sure you like the way they look after some wear, too. I liked the gumsole models they released a few years back. Never bit on them, though.

The odd thing is that I particularly like the pair because they remind me of Rod Lavers, especially with the green heel tab. As far as the wear, I've never been a stickler for my kicks looking pristine so I definitely try to wear them into the ground as much as possible.

Still have time to think about it, considering the Baracuta jacket itself costs as much as the CPs do.

My Common Projects actually look much worse than that, but I have the bad habit of scuffing my feet against each other. But even with the scuffs I still like how they look

The odd thing is that I particularly like the pair because they remind me of Rod Lavers, especially with the green heel tab. As far as the wear, I've never been a stickler for my kicks looking pristine so I definitely try to wear them into the ground as much as possible.

Still have time to think about it, considering the Baracuta jacket itself costs as much as the CPs do.
have you considered zespa

http://www.eastdane.com/color-block...1/1514936918.htm?folderID=19221&colorId=75540

or want les essentiels

http://www.eastdane.com/lennon-snea...1/1503081381.htm?folderID=22263&colorId=73140

Been buying a few pieces here and there for my trip to Europe for my cousin's wedding in Vienna.

Mostly just looking into buying lightweight chinos and will probably drop some cash for a G9 Harrington for the trip. Maybe another pair of jeans but still not sure.

Why wouldn't you just get Stan Smiths for a fraction of the price?

anyway
y/n

Not digging the snakeskin but the want les essentiels are interesting and may consider in a different color. I like the off-white but the tan does nothing for me.

Why wouldn't you just get Stan Smiths for a fraction of the price?

Though the Stan Smiths are iconic, as are the Rod Lavers, neither of them are really comfortable for me. Weirdly enough, most Adidas sneakers don't really agree with my feet despite me having a bunch of the Star Wars pairs.

Anyways, I have too many shoes so just thinking out loud regarding the CPs. I should really just get the lightweight pants and weather-friendly jacket for the trip that I know I'll need instead of another pair of shoes.

Top Bottom