• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Apeopleman

Story time (and a lesson to be learned):

I work near Soho in NY, and have quite a bit of downtime. I recently discovered sample sales. So I googled sample sales near me. I discovered a brand named "Barker Black". They are an England based, handmade shoe company. Their prices are in the $800 ballpark.

I see they have a sample sale only 25 minutes away from me by foot. I decide I am going to check it out the next day; but before I do, I research the brand and search on ebay for what the prices are, older models, etc. And what do I know; these pop up, in my size!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barker-Blac...6DTnL9ZTzG5ajD%2Bqm2M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was actually in the market for a really nice red/wine/Bordeaux colored dress shoe. It had about 8 hours left on the auction, so I decide to try to snag it. With 20 seconds left, I bid about $40 above the current bid. Then I see the dreadful red bolded words.

You did not win this auction.

I wasn't too bummed; I was checking out the brands sample the next day anyway.

I stroll to the place, and conversate with the gentlemen working the sale. I showed him the pictures of the shoe

YXNdahB.jpg

umDGbYm.jpg

9LWhvXa.jpg

Anddddd it just so happens these were made exclusively for Saks 5th Avenue EIGHT years ago. Also, on top of that, there were only about 4 made in each size.

He did say to me though, that if I wanted to have the shoe, I could contact the company, and if they still have the leather used to make the shoe, I could have it made for the $850 the shoe costs, and a 20% service charge on that, which would come to about $1000 (USD).

My heart sank, but it was a lesson learned. If you really like something and it is right in front of you, go for it.

torontoml

Anyone got any advice for non-heavy, nice t-shirts? It's getting warm here now and I'd like some new ones. Fairly open on price but nothing ridiculous like $100 for one shirt.

Clothing stores here are quite limited so I will be buying online.

im trying. you will see my end game come Evo. assuming you are coming.
well the man has decided to not actually tell me yet what I am doing in july so I get to sit here and wait and not make any plans for the summer. next year I am a total confirm tho. unless my family dies. then I'll just be a little bummed out the first day.

overcast

floral is dead, botanicals are in.
Botanicals.. even fresher.
Floral is the new camo man, it'll never die. It's a #menswear staple now.
I still kind of like it :[
floral may be out, but feathered is in. just bought this shirt.
#Zoowear. Thumbs up.
These all look great where are they from?
Gustin. I've read the jeans are really solid for the price too.
They're Adidas Indoor Tennis Mid-Cuts. I have them in white too, super comfy and versatile.
I still need to get those man. Dig them.

Kind of a random question, but I was wondering if someone who has been in the fashion scene (much) longer than I have can tell me why and how Sean John transitioned to the relatively low end brand it is today. How does a brand that one the CFDA award in 2004 go to being sold in Macy's nowadays?

NinjaBoiX

Nixon makes some pretty solid watches for the price. I've owned a few in my lifetime.
Cool. Yeah, I had a closer look in the shop, felt really nicely made in the hand. I really think I'll bite when I have some more money, I want a black watch for my small but growing collection:

TMHUM6l.jpg

Thanks, looking on Adidas site, I am really feeling the Gray and Blue pairs.
Yeah, those blue ones are great.

How do people wear shoes without socks? I've tried it and what always happens is that the shoes end up sticking to my feet in very uncomfortable ways, so when I see people wearing dress loafers without socks I'm baffled.

Kind of a random question, but I was wondering if someone who has been in the fashion scene (much) longer than I have can tell me why and how Sean John transitioned to the relatively low end brand it is today. How does a brand that one the CFDA award in 2004 go to being sold in Macy's nowadays?
Sean John has been in Macy's since as early as 2006 as far as I know. Had no idea they won the CFDA award in 04 though, that's wild.

Celebrity brands live and die with whoever is attached to the label. The pricing needs to be relative to where you stand in the pecking order of the entertainment industry. If your star drops and you're the face of a high-fashion brand, nobody is going to pay for your stuff anymore because there are too many other better options out there. Whereas, if you shoot for the Macy's demographic from the get go, you have room to fall because you weren't pricing your stuff so high from the start.

No idea if that's actually true or not, but that's always been my observation. I mean, outside of Kanye, has there really been anyone of note who's had success in high-fashion?

giga

How do people wear shoes without socks? I've tried it and what always happens is that the shoes end up sticking to my feet in very uncomfortable ways, so when I see people wearing dress loafers without socks I'm baffled.
Personally not a fan of no-show look when I wear dress clothes, but no-show socks are what you need.

Sean John has been in Macy's since as early as 2006 as far as I know. Had no idea they won the CFDA award in 04 though, that's wild.

Celebrity brands live and die with whoever is attached to the label. The pricing needs to be relative to where you stand in the pecking order of the entertainment industry. If your star drops and you're the face of a high-fashion brand, nobody is going to pay for your stuff anymore because there are too many other better options out there. Whereas, if you shoot for the Macy's demographic from the get go, you have room to fall because you weren't pricing your stuff so high from the start.

No idea if that's actually true or not, but that's always been my observation. I mean, outside of Kanye, has there really been anyone of note who's had success in high-fashion?

Mary Kate and Ashely with The Row, I suppose.

Fashion GAF, I need some advice...

urozLpY.jpg

Good/bad?

I'm tempted by this, but it's knocking on nearly £85 and would be the second most expensive item I'll have bought....like ever.

Suplexer

Looking for scoop neck tees that fit tight at the shoulder and long at the waist (instead of buying an oversized tee I want one that is tailored to be extended).

Anyone know where I can grab a few for cheap? Asos has them but they are like $20 a pop, I know there has to be a shop selling them in packs for cheap, right?

urozLpY.jpg

Good/bad?

I'm tempted by this, but it's knocking on nearly £85 and would be the second most expensive item I'll have bought....like ever.
I hate it quite honestly. Not sure what it's trying to be.

Looking for scoop neck tees that fit tight at the shoulder and long at the waist (instead of buying an oversized tee I want one that is tailored to be extended).

Anyone know where I can grab a few for cheap? Asos has them but they are like $20 a pop, I know there has to be a shop selling them in packs for cheap, right?
Cheaper than $20? Unless H&M is doing scoop necks (they probably are), I doubt you're going to find anything lower than that, especially if you want something tailored.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
H&M does have scoop necks, although it's a crap shoot: they tend to be sparsely mixed in with the $6 v- and crew necks. They're also pushing all that long fit stuff right now, so maybe they'd actually have what he's looking for...

NinjaBoiX

urozLpY.jpg

Good/bad?

I dunno man, looks like a really basic, unexciting kind of purchase. I like dark blue and I like funnel necks, but that's a pretty dull garment.

I'd buy it super cheap to keep warm in the house maybe, but it's far from "Woah, I must buy that" IMO.

Yuuichi

urozLpY.jpg

Good/bad?

It does a bad job at everything it tries to do, that £85 could get you a lot more milage elsewhere.

That sweater looks like something this basic dude that is dating the girl I liked would wear. So obviously I hate it.

as funny as this is do try to make actually meaningful contributions

If you can't beat em, join em. Maybe you should cop that sweater instead and win the heart of your girl?

Then I would have to wear a stupid straw hat and get a #2 buzz all over my head. Can't bring myself that low.

I'm not joking. He wore something almost like that on St. Paddy's.

I hate it quite honestly. Not sure what it's trying to be.

I dunno man, looks like a really basic, unexciting kind of purchase. I like dark blue and I like funnel necks, but that's a pretty dull garment.

I'd buy it super cheap to keep warm in the house maybe, but it's far from "Woah, I must buy that" IMO.

That sweater looks like something this basic dude that is dating the girl I liked would wear. So obviously I hate it.

It does a bad job at everything it tries to do, that £85 could get you a lot more milage elsewhere.

Well damn...I thought there might be at least positive comment.

Thanks as always, will hold off and look into a different sweatshirt.

Kaep has this motherfucker down to a tee.

dude. You have no idea. I haven't hated someone like this in years. Everyone that has met him hates him.

Anyways, I saw a dude wearing a cape like he was some french count. He rocked it so hard I want that shit to come back into style.

tbf his own label apparently didn't make much money and he needed financial support from friends. on the brighter side he can focus on dior now

I'm gonna be real sad if BoO is gone for good. Hope Scott can revive the label sometime, I'm sure there are investors who would love to support it.

tbf his own label apparently didn't make much money and he needed financial support from friends. on the brighter side he can focus on dior now

"brighter side"

KVA was shit and his work at Dior is worse. Dior Homme is no longer a relevant brand is just another show at fashion week. Hopefully soon LVMH will realize how bad it is and find a new creative director to try and make the brand interesting and desirable again.

Real talk Band of Outsiders going under is a super bummer. Someone proxy the NY sale for me though, they have leather jackets and cashmere coats for under $200, shoes for $75. It's fucking crazy.

"brighter side"

KVA was shit and his work at Dior is worse. Dior Homme is no longer a relevant brand is just another show at fashion week. Hopefully soon LVMH will realize how bad it is and find a new creative director to try and make the brand interesting and desirable again.

Real talk Band of Outsiders going under is a super bummer. Someone proxy the NY sale for me though, they have leather jackets and cashmere coats for under $200, shoes for $75. It's fucking crazy.

You were supposed to be the NY guy.

Top Bottom