• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Alright, I'm going solo to a wedding reception on Saturday night. How's this outfit? I bought this shirt years ago and now I've lost enough weight to actually look good and fitted in it.

Lol, me and my impulse buys.

Sorry for the craptacular pics. Threw in some closeups at the end to get a better look at the colours and textures. Wool suiting tie in charcoal, navy suit, burgundy/black/white checked shirt, burgundy tie bar, brown boots and belt. Good enough?

dscf82784okbj.jpg

What did he do?

I think he bashed Giant Bomb or something? I honestly don't know. Looking through his posts, nothing seems to be ban worthy. Probably just a temp ban.

Alright, I'm going solo to a wedding reception on Saturday night. How's this outfit? I bought this shirt years ago and now I've lost enough weight to actually look good and fitted in it.

Looks fine, but I'd loose the tie bar. Unless you are only wearing shades of black / grey / white / a tie bar is just comes off as too much to me.

X-Frame

That's strange. They couldn't let the pants out either?

Well they said they could have let the waist out a bit, but the actual pant legs were too tight, probably because of my thighs. They were pinching the back of my knees and I didn't have enough room.

Are there any similarly styled suits like the Napoli that could work with me with legs and glutes bigger proportioned to my upper body? Isn't there an athletic suit from J. Crew called the Crosby made for more athletic body types?

EDIT: I'm thinking about going back to SuitSupply and just trying on the Napoli but 1 size bigger. I tried on he jacket itself and the lady helping me said it looked huge and took it right off me, but I didn't get a good look at it. Besides, I plan on putting on weight over the next few months anyway.

I think he bashed Giant Bomb or something? I honestly don't know. Looking through his posts, nothing seems to be ban worthy. Probably just a temp ban.

Looks fine, but I'd loose the tie bar. Unless you are only wearing shades of black / grey / white / a tie bar is just comes off as too much to me.

Ditch the tie bar, will do.

Well they said they could have let the waist out a bit, but the actual pant legs were too tight, probably because of my thighs. They were pinching the back of my knees and I didn't have enough room.

Are there any similarly styled suits like the Napoli that could work with me with legs and glutes bigger proportioned to my upper body? Isn't there an athletic suit from J. Crew called the Crosby made for more athletic body types?

EDIT: I'm thinking about going back to SuitSupply and just trying on the Napoli but 1 size bigger. I tried on he jacket itself and the lady helping me said it looked huge and took it right off me, but I didn't get a good look at it. Besides, I plan on putting on weight over the next few months anyway.

The jacket fit is all about the shoulders. There's not s ton you can do about that.

X-Frame

The jacket fit is all about the shoulders. There's not s ton you can do about that.

True. Thank you for the replies btw.

So what are my options for a similar style to the Napoli but possibly with not so slim pants? Brooks Brothers? I can't go MTM yet as like I said I plan on putting on weight and I need a suit in 4 weeks, so a bit of a pickle.

Any other brands I can check out for similar Napoli cuts?

True. Thank you for the replies btw.

So what are my options for a similar style to the Napoli but possibly with not so slim pants? Brooks Brothers? I can't go MTM yet as like I said I plan on putting on weight and I need a suit in 4 weeks, so a bit of a pickle.

Any other brands I can check out for similar Napoli cuts?

I'm not as well-versed in suits as probably the other guys here. Luckyboyceo helped me out a ton when I was suit shopping.

Brooks Brothers is worth a look. J. Crew is worth a look too. They have a Ludlow and Crosby cut for slim and athletic guys. Good looking suits, I think you can get separates too. They're well-reviewed.

Rookje

What do we think about the recent JCrew flopping?

Honestly, I think their clothes are still pretty nice. They have a good balance between quality and affordability, easily the best mall brand over Club Monaco or Banana Republic. Apparently their womens clothing is subpar, which -- though I'm a guy, never really cared for. Seems too conservative. But alas, womans fashion > mens in terms of money and power. If I were them I would just cut the womens section.

I think as a whole we're moving out of the preppy/dandy look and moving into something more urban and loose. I've heard "slackercore" thrown around, but I think that's confused between the evolution of the sneakerhead/hypebeast (expensive sneakers, expensive athletic clothing, graphic print T's) instead of something more mainstream... which I would describe as a "T-shirt & Jeans+" aesthetic. Henleys, scoop neck shirts, destroyed Ts, hoodies. A lot of Vans, American Apparel and UO.

X-Frame

Thanks! Yeah I was looking at the Crosby suit. Being able to order the jacket separate from the pants is a huge bonus too.

I just take the risk of the size I order not being the ideal size, not being able to try on in a store and all. I'll check it out more this weekend.

CatPee

i need a new belt.. looking at Fossil but i haven't bought one before so does anyone have recommendations?

Dressy or casual? You can find loads of belts on Etsy that are made fairly well from solid slabs of leather for a reasonable price (just check seller reviews beforehand).

For a more established company, I own a few belts from Orion Leather Company and enjoy them greatly. They're not terribly expensive, have very solid construction, and are almost perpetually running 10-15% off list price (current is 12% off with DAD2015DAY). Loads of designs and styles, but their site navigation is horrid, so be prepared to spend some time sifting through a lot.

I second the Tanner Goods recommendation, assuming you just need a casual belt, and not one for a suit. I've had mine a few years now and I'm pretty sure it's indestructible.

Honestly, I think their clothes are still pretty nice. They have a good balance between quality and affordability, easily the best mall brand over Club Monaco or Banana Republic. Apparently their womens clothing is subpar, which -- though I'm a guy, never really cared for. Seems too conservative. But alas, womans fashion > mens in terms of money and power. If I were them I would just cut the womens section.

I think as a whole we're moving out of the preppy/dandy look and moving into something more urban and loose. I've heard "slackercore" thrown around, but I think that's confused between the evolution of the sneakerhead/hypebeast (expensive sneakers, expensive athletic clothing, graphic print T's) instead of something more mainstream... which I would describe as a "T-shirt & Jeans+" aesthetic. Henleys, scoop neck shirts, destroyed Ts, hoodies. A lot of Vans, American Apparel and UO.
I think the whole "althleisure" sportswear influenced look has a few more years left in the tank, for sure. When there's a fashion trend that's equally comfortable as it is fashionable, then you know it's going to stick around for awhile. I just hope designers realize the aesthetic can fit more than just joggers, sometime soon. I'm tired of seeing ZANEROBE copycats everywhere.

After that? My gut tells me we're going more punk rock. Maybe some kind of mainstream take on gothninja stuff? Lots of blacks, destroyed garments, leathers, etc., but without the extreme silhouette that Rick and a lot of those brands provide. That's my guess.

I second the Tanner Goods recommendation, assuming you just need a casual belt, and not one for a suit. I've had mine a few years now and I'm pretty sure it's indestructible.

I think the whole "althleisure" sportswear influenced look has a few more years left in the tank, for sure. When there's a fashion trend that's equally comfortable as it is fashionable, then you know it's going to stick around for awhile. I just hope designers realize the aesthetic can fit more than just joggers, sometime soon. I'm tired of seeing ZANEROBE copycats everywhere.

After that? My gut tells me we're going more punk rock. Maybe some kind of mainstream take on gothninja stuff? Lots of blacks, destroyed garments, leathers, etc., but without the extreme silhouette that Rick and a lot of those brands provide. That's my guess.

I'm thinking they'll go 80s shiny suits and big overexaggerated shit.

Their men's clothing generally has much better construction and they have way more 'made in the usa' collaborations and such with Alden, Chippewa, Cone Mills, etc. on that side.
That being said, the majority of their revenue comes from the staples they sell on the women's side and they guessed wrong on some crucial things that kept traffic down.

0OoO0

Should I get this Patrik Ervell Pocket Sweater? It's 50% off from the webstore but still a bit pricey for my budget. I'm a bit frugal with my clothing budget :)

2-0002865-5702.jpg

Should I get this Patrik Ervell Pocket Sweater? It's 50% off from the webstore but still a bit pricey for my budget. I'm a bit frugal with my clothing budget :)

2-0002865-5702.jpg
while i don't have a pocket sweater myself it's probably ervell's signature item at this point so if you're feeling it do it. the weave is very nice and can cross casual > business casual very well.

Rookje

Are v-necks still in or nah? Just started wearing em.
They're still in, but there's nothing wrong with crew necks. It depends on your build and your body type. Do you have a short or thick neck? V Necks are best otherwise you can look stout and chunky. It's usually why V Necks are always worn by built actors in TV and movies. If you're tall and thin and lanky, avoid v necks.

My NOLA-college shopping is finally complete, came away with 9 pairs of nice shorts total. Come at me humidity.

also what is the world coming to I'm actually considering buying light wash jeans for the first time in... ever. Palewave has consumed another victim

Top Bottom