• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

FStop7

Banned
anigif_enhanced-buzz-25147-1410293987-8.gif

Neo Dockers. Do we really want to go back to baggy, pleated dadpants?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I've been working from home for almost 8 years but I just accepted a promotion to be a DOCO (director of call center) and I'll be on site.

I need a new wardrobe. Wearing my Nike sweatsuits on site would undoubtedly be frowned upon.

I've been buying bugatchi and english laundry button ups. Those are 'in style' right? I really like the different color collars and cuffs. Here is a small sample of ones I've bought. Please let me know what you think fashion-GAF.

iSujY9u.png

also bought this one in black.

hwSIh8r.png

B4iOiPA.png

Now I need recommendations on pants. I think I'm good on shoes I've got a pair of black, brown, and gray dress shoes. I own 3 different brooks brothers suits (Black, Blue, Brown). Should I be wearing ties with these shirts? Personally I don't like wearing ties unless I'm also wearing a jacket. I'm also not a short sleeves kind of guy. Would sweater-vests be a good choice with those shirts. Are sweater vests 'in style'?

GiJoccin

How have people's experiences been with Gustin? I really like the look of the Japan Silk Slub, but with UK delivery, it's about $180. Does that seem reasonable to anyone who's used Gustin?

i've had great experiences with Gustin so far - but mostly in shirts (chambrays especially)

i do have 2 pairs of their pants, which i will say do fit rather snugly, but look great. It took me sending the pants back once to get the right fit.

jesalr

i've had great experiences with Gustin so far - but mostly in shirts (chambrays especially)

i do have 2 pairs of their pants, which i will say do fit rather snugly, but look great. It took me sending the pants back once to get the right fit.

Sadly the jeans were fully funded within a few hours. That's both those and the Italy Sea Blue's I've missed out on now :(

I've had mixed experiences with Gustin. The quality is good but the sizing seems completely and utterly bonked. I've ordered three pairs of jeans in the same size and fit and they all fit differently with the last pair being twice as tight. Given you can't easily return clothes it seems like a big risk to me *shrug* Same with the shirts.

Wouldn't go through them again unless it's something unique like the Italy blue jeans and even then I'd err on the side of caution.

Any good deals on short sleeve button ups, particularly florals anywhere? Need to get a few now that the Texas summer is finally revving up.

I've never been a fan of Gusitn. Every pair I've seen in person looks lazily constructed, and as someone said, fits inconsistently. I've heard their customer service is a nightmare too, which sucks considering their customers are literally taking on the entirety of the risk when producing/purchasing garments.

Yes, they've done some cool things, but ultimately, all of the fabrics they use are just leftovers that other companies found/developed in the first place. They've never really felt like a company that cares about what they do, but then again, I suppose that's part of what you're (not) paying for at the low price point.

So I've been working from home for almost 8 years but I just accepted a promotion to be a DOCO (director of call center) and I'll be on site.

I need a new wardrobe. Wearing my Nike sweatsuits on site would undoubtedly be frowned upon.

I've been buying bugatchi and english laundry button ups. Those are 'in style' right? I really like the different color collars and cuffs. Here is a small sample of ones I've bought. Please let me know what you think fashion-GAF.

iSujY9u.png

also bought this one in black.

hwSIh8r.png

B4iOiPA.png

Now I need recommendations on pants. I think I'm good on shoes I've got a pair of black, brown, and gray dress shoes. I own 3 different brooks brothers suits (Black, Blue, Brown). Should I be wearing ties with these shirts? Personally I don't like wearing ties unless I'm also wearing a jacket. I'm also not a short sleeves kind of guy. Would sweater-vests be a good choice with those shirts. Are sweater vests 'in style'?
Sorry dude but those shirts with the contrasting cuffs/collars are tacky as hell. You're going to look like a guy waiting to get into a sleazy nightclub rather than an office.

Less is more when it comes to work attire, at least until you understand the basics of what works best for you and your style. Until then, stick with blues, greys, and browns. All three of those colors will work interchangeably, and give you a number of different outfits using the same clothes. Don't worry about what's "in" currently. Stick to classics and you'll never have to worry about your clothes going out of style.

overcast

I'm still worried about my thighs getting bigger as I continue to work out. But I have skinny ass legs in general, can use some muscle.

DietRob

Sorry dude but those shirts with the contrasting cuffs/collars are tacky as hell. You're going to look like a guy waiting to get into a sleazy nightclub rather than an office.

Less is more when it comes to work attire, at least until you understand the basics of what works best for you and your style. Until then, stick with blues, greys, and browns. All three of those colors will work interchangeably, and give you a number of different outfits using the same clothes. Don't worry about what's "in" currently. Stick to classics and you'll never have to worry about your clothes going out of style.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a few solid blues and grays so I'm covered there.

This one is awful

:(

DietRob

luckyboyceo pretty much hit the nail on the head. Well-fitting neutrals will serve you better in the long run. The other two shirts you posted are decent though!

OK cool. All the shirts besides the one you called awful are solids. I just got one of my solid black brooks bros slacks in today (others are blue and tan). They have a PERFECT fit. No more baggy gangsta clothes for me.

I'll save my rock revival and trues for the weekend ;)

DietRob

Dietrob just make sure they fit nice.

Make sure what fits nice? My Rocks and Trues or the shirts?

ps. they all fit nice. jeans are a little baggy but that's my style.

edit- i'm not skinny enough for skinny jeans......yet.

As someone who went from 150 to 230 and then back to 155 a couple of years ago don't buy nice clothes or even worry about it too much until you've locked in your desired weight. Nothing sucks more than buying clothes only for them not to fit a few weeks later. On the other hand nothing feels better than splurging once you've become fit again :p

OK cool. All the shirts besides the one you called awful are solids. I just got one of my solid black brooks bros slacks in today (others are blue and tan). They have a PERFECT fit. No more baggy gangsta clothes for me.

I'll save my rock revival and trues for the weekend ;)

when you say trues, are you talking about true religion?

DietRob, I'd highly recommend taking your suit to a tailor before you wear it out. I know you said your slacks fit "perfectly," but between the shirts you posted and the fact that you said you like your True Religion jeans a little on the "baggier" side, I think you'd really benefit from a pair of trained eyes looking at your wardrobe.

Besides, tailoring advice is free, it isn't until they start working on your pants that they'll charge you. And if you go to a credible tailor, they'll be honest with you if your pants are indeed "perfect," and don't actually need any work. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

if it seems like we are ragging on you too hard, dietrob, just remember that you're just starting to get in to fashion and you're gonna make mistakes along the way. all i can say is, thank god there are no pictures of me online from my armani exchange days (or worse, my halo t-shirt days).

DietRob

when you say trues, are you talking about true religion?

yes

DietRob, I'd highly recommend taking your suit to a tailor before you wear it out. I know you said your slacks fit "perfectly," but between the shirts you posted and the fact that you said you like your True Religion jeans a little on the "baggier" side, I think you'd really benefit from a pair of trained eyes looking at your wardrobe.

Besides, tailoring advice is free, it isn't until they start working on your pants that they'll charge you. And if you go to a credible tailor, they'll be honest with you if your pants are indeed "perfect," and don't actually need any work. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I do plan on having my suit pants and jackets professional tailored already know where I'm taking them. Thanks for that advice.

if it seems like we are ragging on you too hard, dietrob, just remember that you're just starting to get in to fashion and you're gonna make mistakes along the way. all i can say is, thank god there are no pictures of me online from my armani exchange days (or worse, my halo t-shirt days).

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope to become a productive member of this community as I find my style.

And just think, after a few years you'll look worse than when you started!

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
UPS man cometh!

ASOS T's came in yesterday...GF already jacked the Nudie T up with lipstick while we're out last night.

Earier in the week delivery ...so nice I had too buy them twice. Think the older pair I'm just gonna let get beat to dog shit for a nice distressed look.

I really hate that image. Comparing a tucked in TEE to an untucked short sleeve SHIRT is dumb.
That biggest tragedy of that image is that there's no representation for the half-tuck.

bc30f4c9078b6f704b96f48aff75323b.jpg

It's like the #menswear version of the mullet. Business on one side, party on the other.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I buy so much shit from ASOS I got the overnight delivery option now lol.

They seriously owe me some type of VIP status..

We get at least two packages a week from them, sometimes more, thanks to my boyfriend. Aren't many places he can reliably find xxs stuff.

Top Bottom