• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Whitelines

Neo Member
Yeah, the brown brogues look good with the grey.
I know it is hot, but a nice unlined jacket/blazer will look better with a tie.

I am wearing brown brogue boots myself today. Gosh I live them so much. They are the boots Bond wears in Skyfall when he is running on the ice at the end if the film.

Can you link those Bond brown brogue boots?

SuperSah

Banned
Hey guys, could do with a little hand.

Looking in the UK for a nice leather jacket, but having some trouble looking.

All Saints have some great ones, but to be honest £400 is a little too much for what I'm looking for. Where are some decent places to find these?

11722661_915622148484383_1120185251064067411_o.jpg
four inches of fun!

Blue and grey are always a solid match. Sorry I cant help you with location as I am guessing you are living in America.

But I would guess most department stores would have unlined jackets seeing that it is summer.

Is there any difference between a suit jacket, sports coat, and blazer? I found a few nice jackets today that fit quite well; to my surprise. I think traditional navy blue would be best. I just don't wanna make the mistake of wearing a jacket that looks like an orphaned suit jacket.

Is there any difference between a suit jacket, sports coat, and blazer? I found a few nice jackets today that fit quite well; to my surprise. I think traditional navy blue would be best. I just don't wanna make the mistake of wearing a jacket that looks like an orphaned suit jacket.
Yes, technically there's a difference between the three terms, however, nowadays the terms have begun to be used interchangeably, so the difference is pretty minimal.

With that said, obviously a "suit jacket" refers to a jacket that has matching pants. Sometimes these are sold together, other times they're sold as suit separates. Sure, in 2015 you could buy the jacket only and wear it like a sport coat or blazer, but traditionally these jackets were made to be worn exclusively with the pants. Suit jackets also typically use lighter material and don't have as much texture, so they'll be harder to pair with denim or pants that have lots of texture.

The term "sport coat" I believe is reserved for jackets with patterns only. Think plaid, windowpane, etc. Meanwhile, blazers are typically jackets that either have a more distinctive texture and/or are solid. Both of these pieces are made as individual garments and are designed to be paired with a number of different pants.

Yes, technically there's a difference between the three terms, however, nowadays the terms have begun to be used interchangeably, so the difference is pretty minimal.

With that said, obviously a "suit jacket" refers to a jacket that has matching pants. Sometimes these are sold together, other times they're sold as suit separates. Sure, in 2015 you could buy the jacket only and wear it like a sport coat or blazer, but traditionally these jackets were made to be worn exclusively with the pants. Suit jackets also typically use lighter material and don't have as much texture, so they'll be harder to pair with denim or pants that have lots of texture.

The term "sport coat" I believe is reserved for jackets with patterns only. Think plaid, windowpane, etc. Meanwhile, blazers are typically jackets that either have a more distinctive texture and/or are solid. Both of these pieces are made as individual garments and are designed to be paired with a number of different pants.

yeah pretty much,my favourite jacket is a suit jacket, but I haven't worn the matching pants for some time. It all depends on the jacket. Obviously a pinstripe suit jacket is gonna look odd without the matching pants.

grey pants and navy blue jacket is a solid pair.

Has anyone here actually gone into a suit supply store? Good customer service? Worth a trip next time I'm in the city?

I'm planning on hitting the Seattle one up next month if all else goes according to plan.

Now I have a forest green grenadine and an orange raw silk tie heading my way.

I saw how a grenadine tie looked on the previous page and decided to check out The Tie Bar, and they sell a "grenafaux" tie that looks close enough. Might pull the trigger on it.

I actually own a Midnight Navy Grenafaux tie!

It's a decent tie. It looks good with my blue suit. Interesting texture for sure.

Actually, it's definitely one of my faves among the ties I have from TheTieBar.

Quick

Banned
I actually own a Midnight Navy Grenafaux tie!

It's a decent tie. It looks good with my blue suit. Interesting texture for sure.

Actually, it's definitely one of my faves among the ties I have from TheTieBar.

I bought a few ties from them, and I'm impressed with the quality. I'm currently making another order of ties.

I bought a few ties from them, and I'm impressed with the quality. I'm currently making another order of ties.

Yeah, I love TTB. I got like... thirty ties from them at this point.

I haven't even had thirty occasions to wear ties. I just keep buying ties from them. They have some great stuff.

You should grab a Grenafaux tie, at least the Navy one is good. I'm wary about the lighter colour Grenafauxs though, they seem like they might have a not-great sheen to them.

I actually had it close at hand, took a quick shot:

Personally, I think it's a great tie. I've never seen a real grenadine tie in person though, so who knows what I'm in for.

Quick

Banned
I was looking to pick up a burgundy grenafaux, but I might add in that navy one too.

I also picked up a bow tie, and it was definitely a conversation piece, especially when I told people I tied it myself (it was hard). I'm looking to get a couple more bow ties, but I might just get pre-tied ones for ease.

giga

I have a few grenfaux ties from the tie bar. They're good for the price, but they're definitely not the same as the real deal. If I had to do it over, I would save the money I spent on them and put them to only a few really nice ties, like the ones at chipp.

I have a few grenfaux ties from the tie bar. They're good for the price, but they're definitely not the same as the real deal. If I had to do it over, I would save the money I spent on them and put them to only a few really nice ties, like the ones at chipp.

I've got a Chipp grenadine and matka tie coming, but I really want a Sam Hober tie.

Or Drake's. I drool at Drake's ties.

SuperSah

Banned
Thoughts on the new chucks? Apparently supposed to be more comfortable and breathable besides the updated looks.

So these are them?

Really liking the black and white one.

Will be buying even though I LITERALLY just brought some maroon leather ones last week.

Quick

Banned
Picked up a pair of slim fit grey chinos from H&M to wear at work, and I'm going to get it hemmed. How short should I go?

I also have a pair of khakis that I'm gonna get tapered to look slimmer. It's a slim fit, but with a straight opening. Is this a good idea for khakis? I figured I'd end up making it look slimmer like the chinos I got.

Thoughts on this suit?

I have a wedding and a day at the races within the next month. I've always fancied something a bit bolder than just black or blue.

http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5453367

en8nim12p

That's a really loud suit. I like it, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for a wedding, though.

Bumhead

Banned
That's a really loud suit. I like it, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for a wedding, though.

I think you're right. I like the suit but I've been second guessing it as an option for a wedding. I think it'll sit on the backburner.

In terms of colour combinations, tan/camel trousers and a blue jacket with a white shirt is A-OK, right?

I think you're right. I like the suit but I've been second guessing it as an option for a wedding. I think it'll sit on the backburner.

In terms of colour combinations, tan/camel trousers and a blue jacket with a white shirt is A-OK, right?

Very East Coast Ivy Prep, but yeah, that'll look sharp.

Quick

Banned

Rule of thumb for weddings is not to "upstage" the bride and groom. Tan trousers and blue jacket with a white shirt is definitely more appropriate and looks good.

I'd definitely save that tartan suit for the races and maybe even formal work parties.

I got my Chipp2 Forest Green Grenadine tie and Chipp2 Burnt Orange Matka tie.

Forgive the crappy pic:

They're really nice! Love the texture, specially on the Matka. The grenadine's a bit stiff, but I love the colour. I was worried they'd look a bit wide (I normally wear 3" ties, these are 3.25"), but they look decent.

Definitely a step up from my Tie Bar silk ties.

Kobe24

Black suit and white shirt, yeah I can go with the typical black tie, but want to mix it up. Suggestions? Was feeling silver or maroon red

Top Bottom