• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Who here's bought a suit from SuitSupply?

I'm considering getting one cause I want to get another suit and I like nothing at TipTop.

But I don't have a SS here to go to so I'd be blind buying.

Apeopleman

Who here's bought a suit from SuitSupply?

I'm considering getting one cause I want to get another suit and I like nothing at TipTop.

But I don't have a SS here to go to so I'd be blind buying.

I haven't purchased one, but according the the fashion communities I am part of, they agree it is absolutely the best "value" for what you pay.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703385404576258671135584478

Quote from the above article:

"Testers said a $614 suit from Suitsupply, an Amsterdam-based company that will open its first U.S. store in New York next month, matched a $3,600 Armani in quality and outperformed designs from J. Crew, Hart Schaffner Marx, Target and H&M"

All of their cuts are very modern and slim.

They have in house tailoring if you purchase in store. Its free with the purchase, and you won't have to waste more time by going out and spending money and risk an old fashioned tailor not giving you what you want (For example, when I ask for no break on my pants, they say, no no, that's too short, when in fact it looks best IMO)

PantsFit_Breaks.jpg

I haven't purchased one, but according the the fashion communities I am part of, they agree it is absolutely the best "value" for what you pay.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703385404576258671135584478

Quote from the above article:

"Testers said a $614 suit from Suitsupply, an Amsterdam-based company that will open its first U.S. store in New York next month, matched a $3,600 Armani in quality and outperformed designs from J. Crew, Hart Schaffner Marx, Target and H&M"

All of their cuts are very modern and slim.

They have in house tailoring if you purchase in store. Its free with the purchase, and you won't have to waste more time by going out and spending money and risk an old fashioned tailor not giving you what you want (For example, when I ask for no break on my pants, they say, no no, that's too short, when in fact it looks best IMO)

PantsFit_Breaks.jpg

Yeah, I'm definitely considering it.

in house BASIC tailoring

i got 2 suits there for interviews/weddings, and i'm very happy with my purchases. however, i'm a bit of a weird fit, so they had to do some bigger tailoring for the suits to actually fit me, and that was extra

The closest SS to me is in Seattle. Dunno if I wanna make a two hour trip for a suit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So who wants to tell me how awful these boots are?

84aSRwJl.png

got them for 67 on the amazon sale so idgaf

DietRob

They are awful

For serious?

One of my friends keeps telling me to get these Red Wing Heritage Beckman boots but man... I just can't get past that price tag. They look damn good though.

wBCRundl.jpg

Should I return the Stacy Addams and get those instead?

PLEASE... Fashion GAF give me 4 or 5 brands that I should be looking at for these types of boots.

I mean, it's tough to compare considering they're not anywhere near the same price tier. If the price isn't an issue then yes, you should absolutely get the Red Wings.

Keep in mind, a good pair of boots should last you years. I know guys who have Red Wing boots that are over 10 years old. Not only were those boots your posted ugly, and horribly detailed, for <$100, you just flat out aren't going to get anything of quality that will last you more than 6 months. Look at those Red Wings as an investment. They'll be cheaper in the long run.

DietRob

I mean, it's tough to compare considering they're not anywhere near the same price tier. If the price isn't an issue then yes, you should absolutely get the Red Wings.

Keep in mind, a good pair of boots should last you years. I know guys who have Red Wing boots that are over 10 years old. Not only were those boots your posted ugly, and horribly detailed, for <$100, you just flat out aren't going to get anything of quality that will last you more than 6 months. Look at those Red Wings as an investment. They'll be cheaper in the long run.

I'm going to initiate a return on those amazon boots. This shit is HARD man... as I posted previously could someone, anyone, please post 4 to 5 brands I should be looking at to not look 'ugly and horribly outdated'...

And yea money isn't an issue sticker shock certainly is though but looking at it as a 10 year investment helps with that sticker shock.

Think about it like this, over the next 3 years, you can either buy one pair of boots for $300, or you can buy a pair of $60-$100 boots every 6 months. Not only does it save you money, but it's much less of a hassle.

Regarding brands, it's tough to say, considering that depends entirely on your style. Entry level street wear is going to be completely different than New England prep, and so on. With that said, there are definitely some entry-level brands that have helped bridge the gap for people getting into higher-fashion, and are pretty universal. Among those brands would be J. Crew, Uniqlo, Zara, etc. Take a look at their websites/stores and see if anything fits what look you're going for. You could also post pictures of styles/outfits you see online and we can help guide you in the right direction that way.

giga

Outside of suits, well-made shoes are probably the best investment you can make that will give you the longest lifespan and value for your money. Wolverines and Red Wings constantly have second sales are Sierra Trading Post and such. It's not hard to get them for a good price.

DietRob

Think about it like this, over the next 3 years, you can either buy one pair of boots for $300, or you can buy a pair of $60-$100 boots every 6 months. Not only does it save you money, but it's much less of a hassle.

Regarding brands, it's tough to say, considering that depends entirely on your style. Entry level street wear is going to be completely different than New England prep, and so on. With that said, there are definitely some entry-level brands that have helped bridge the gap for people getting into higher-fashion, and are pretty universal. Among those brands would be J. Crew, Uniqlo, Zara, etc. Take a look at their websites/stores and see if anything fits what look you're going for. You could also post pictures of styles/outfits you see online and we can help guide you in the right direction that way.

I'm looking at some Wolverine 1000 Mile Men's Original Boots.
In black:
Tny42ZS.jpg

They are not my style, but those boots look much better.

The ones from Amazon looked like they were trying to be dress boots but then had the horrible zip on the side. The design was all over the place.

I don't really know too much about boot brands. I only have the one pair and they are from Crockett and Jones and not as relaxed as those Wolverine ones.

One thing I would say is try to go to a physical store and look at a couple different pair of boots. . You can appreciate the leather and look at their construction. Should be able to give you a better impression about the quality. Then you can try and get a good deal online or something.

DietRob

Cool thanks for the advice Shanks. I think there is a Red Wing Store around me somewhere. I'll stop in there to get a close look at the Heritage Beckman boots since I like the look of those. Just hate that price tag.

DietRob

So I went to the Red Wing store today. Turns out I wear a size 9 in the heritage line. Who'd of thunk.. Glad I went and tried before I buy'd.

Now I know what size to look for. I wonder do most boots run a bit big like that. I was wearing dress socks so that kinda skews the results a bit, eh?

cocopuffs

Banned
572fdd3bf7.png

http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=4212070030002&cid=1036553&locale=en_CA
http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=2254140430003&cid=1036556&locale=en_CA
http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=8061553130006&cid=1036552&locale=en_CA

bought all this for $60, did i waste my money

and at 5'11, 150ish lbs, i dont know if i should buy medium or large clothing. i have a mix of both in my warddrobe but online shopping makes it harder as i cant actually try stuff on and see if it fits.

So I went to the Red Wing store today. Turns out I wear a size 9 in the heritage line. Who'd of thunk.. Glad I went and tried before I buy'd.

Now I know what size to look for. I wonder do most boots run a bit big like that. I was wearing dress socks so that kinda skews the results a bit, eh?
Yeah typically you'll need to size down about one full size from your sneaker size.

Also, your boots should be really tight when you put them on for the first time. If they aren't they're too big. The leather will stretch after you wear them to be just right.

572fdd3bf7.png

http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=4212070030002&cid=1036553&locale=en_CA
http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=2254140430003&cid=1036556&locale=en_CA
http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=8061553130006&cid=1036552&locale=en_CA

bought all this for $60, did i waste my money

and at 5'11, 150ish lbs, i dont know if i should buy medium or large clothing. i have a mix of both in my warddrobe but online shopping makes it harder as i cant actually try stuff on and see if it fits.
Looks like some pretty inoffensive pieces, definitely not a waste of money for $60.

You're definitely a Medium in chest size, whether or not you'll need a Large comes down to how long your torso is/how long the garments are. I think you made the right choice getting one of each. That way you'll know for sure. You can always send one back, assuming the pieces weren't final sale.

What brands should I look for when buying a pair of chukka boots? Willing to spend between $150-$200. J Crew and Nordstrom a good place to look?

Also, I really want suede, but there's the issue of them getting wet.

SuperSah

Banned
Got some lovely leather oxblood Converse today and some jumpers from GAP's sale. Also managed to get some super skinny jeans which fit like a glove.

giga

What brands should I look for when buying a pair of chukka boots? Willing to spend between $150-$200. J Crew and Nordstrom a good place to look?

Also, I really want suede, but there's the issue of them getting wet.

Low to high, by price: clarks desert boots, jcrew macallisters (buy on sale), and meermin ($200). It's a shame jcrew doesn't sell their bennett chukkas anymore. Got them for $60 on sale and they're great: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/boots/PRDOVR~05704/05704.jsp

Buy some suede protector and don't worry about water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnOw_sNVG0A

DietRob

Yeah typically you'll need to size down about one full size from your sneaker size.

Also, your boots should be really tight when you put them on for the first time. If they aren't they're too big. The leather will stretch after you wear them to be just right.

Ah so prepare for blisters the first week of breaking in my boots, gotcha :/

Low to high, by price: clarks desert boots, jcrew macallisters (buy on sale), and meermin ($200). It's a shame jcrew doesn't sell their bennett chukkas anymore. Got them for $60 on sale and they're great: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/boots/PRDOVR~05704/05704.jsp

Buy some suede protector and don't worry about water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnOw_sNVG0A

does the suede protector really work if its raining.

also, leather isn't bad, and I think these look great, but they're $300:

47990-wodehousechukka

Charcoal

Alright, so this has probably been asked a million times, but I'm in the market for a new suit for some interviews. I'm looking for something nicer than Express, but not going to break the bank. Any suggestions?

Charcoal

Well, a suit can be had from Express for $100~ if there's a sale, clearance items etc.

I want something that might last a little longer quality wise, and not cost more than $500 if possible.

I have to buy new shoes as well so..

I need help. I have court and I need to dress up somewhat. Problem is I don't have formal clothes. First, what is the simplest way to look presentable?I am thinking shirt, slacks, and tie + bar. Second, I have these Allen Edmond shoes, but fear they might be too casual, thoughts?

350x263px-LL-9ca1f83a_Theplayersshoe.jpeg

I need help. I have court and I need to dress up somewhat. Problem is I don't have formal clothes. First, what is the simplest way to look presentable?I am thinking shirt, slacks, and tie + bar. Second, I have these Allen Edmond shoes, but fear they might be too casual, thoughts?

350x263px-LL-9ca1f83a_Theplayersshoe.jpeg

i like those shoes, but it is hard to give an opinion without seeing how they match the trousers. Do you not have a suit jacket or blazer you can wear? Always looks better with a tie. Don't wear a tie bar. It looks stupid 9 times out of ten

i like those shoes, but it is hard to give an opinion without seeing how they match the trousers. Do you not have a suit jacket or blazer you can wear? Always looks better with a tie. Don't wear a tie bar. It looks stupid 9 times out of ten

I took a picture. The pants I bought today are a light pin-dot grey. Additionally, I have a pair of black AE boots, but that really might be pushing it. I have also attached a pic of the tie. I know nothing about ties so I took a shot. It is yellow with dark blue diamonds. I will be wearing a white shirt. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. As for a jacket/blazer, I have neither and getting one bought and tailored in time is a tall order; plus it is like 110 degrees outside.

or

Yeah, the brown brogues look good with the grey.
I know it is hot, but a nice unlined jacket/blazer will look better with a tie.

I am wearing brown brogue boots myself today. Gosh I live them so much. They are the boots Bond wears in Skyfall when he is running on the ice at the end if the film.

1st shoes definitely, I have a court date Wednesday too ha.
Thanks and good luck!

Yeah, the brown brogues look good with the grey.
I know it is hot, but a nice unlined jacket/blazer will look better with a tie.

I am wearing brown brogue boots myself today. Gosh I live them so much. They are the boots Bond wears in Skyfall when he is running on the ice at the end if the film.
Thanks,

What color jacket/blazer? Blue of some sort? Any suggestions where I might find an unlined jacket that fits well last minute?

Thanks and good luck!

Thanks,

What color jacket/blazer? Blue of some sort? Any suggestions where I might find an unlined jacket that fits well last minute?

Blue and grey are always a solid match. Sorry I cant help you with location as I am guessing you are living in America.

But I would guess most department stores would have unlined jackets seeing that it is summer.

Top Bottom