• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

SourBear

Banned
So I've been on a hunt for a leather jacket since Spring. RRL has this on sale:
pPOLO2-20719821_lifestyle_v400.jpg

Yay or nay?

They also have a similar jacket in blue. But it is not on sale:
pPOLO2-20134194_lifestyle_v400.jpg

overcast

Is Zara's quality fuck awful? I'm amazed by how well their stuff is tailored to my body type.
As somebody who owns some Zara products, yeah very low quality. That being said if it looks good i don't buy into it mattering a ton. I think you're around my age so no need to spend a lot for quality at this point.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
As somebody who owns some Zara products, yeah very low quality. That being said if it looks good i don't buy into it mattering a ton. I think you're around my age so no need to spend a lot for quality at this point.

Well I already shop at the typical places, H & M/ Forever 21, but Zara is only slightly above those price points, and fits me much better. It is pretty crazy. My cheap stuff has lasted me a good while, so I wonder where Zara fits on the spectrum...

I like the brown rrl, and rrl makes good stuff. but please don't style it that way. yikes.

also i now have a suit of grey cotton melange fleece. not sure where I can go from here suit-wise.

edit: i have 4 grey suits lol. someone send help.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
May the mod lords claim another soul, not our Macuser. He has but several pieces of fashion advice to distribute before he meets his end. Won't someone else offer up their soul?

CzTJJy1.gif

Moonkid

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm not sold on whether it's entirely thread worthy.

So my senior ball, prom, is coming up and I'm keen to coordinate colours with my partner. She's already chosen her dress, burgundy, and I don't really want to just match outfits i.e. burgundy suit/trousers whatever. I want to go for something a bit more subtle but at the end of the day I'll take what works for me and looks the best. I'm thinking of trying a bow tie with braces, suspenders, but I'm aware there's a solid chance I won't be able to rock it. Any suggestions for coordinating colours? Colour of bowtie, braces, shoe laces even lol. I'm a relatively skinny guy by the way.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm not sold on whether it's entirely thread worthy.

So my senior ball, prom, is coming up and I'm keen to coordinate colours with my partner. She's already chosen her dress, burgundy, and I don't really want to just match outfits i.e. burgundy suit/trousers whatever. I want to go for something a bit more subtle but at the end of the day I'll take what works for me and looks the best. I'm thinking of trying a bow tie with braces, suspenders, but I'm aware there's a solid chance I won't be able to rock it. Any suggestions for coordinating colours? Colour of bowtie, braces, shoe laces even lol. I'm a relatively skinny guy by the way.

You could do something like a greyscale (black/white/grey whatever) suit and then get a similar colour pocket square and socks to her dress.

Like a medium grey suit, dark grey tie, white shirt, burgundy pocket square (go for something patterned rather than solid imo) and burgundy socks (maybe some kind of argyle).

edit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010CMZ53W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRH717Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

lupin23rd

Had a few quick questions:

- Is there such a thing as a "perfect" length for a button-up shirt such that it is short enough to wear untucked, but long enough that one could tuck it in when needed, and both would look good? Looking at some nice flannel shirts which I would usually wear untucked with denim, but also was thinking would work under a tweed blazer in which case I'd want to tuck.

- Curious if anyone has seen any cord pants in a green or olive color (preferably a bit light or faded)?

- Has anyone ever worn a jacket with a pattern like this before? It intrigues me except I feel like my age would instantly double wearing such a monstrosity.

yBMLQCRm.jpg

Oxn

- Is there such a thing as a "perfect" length for a button-up shirt such that it is short enough to wear untucked, but long enough that one could tuck it in when needed, and both would look good? Looking at some nice flannel shirts which I would usually wear untucked with denim, but also was thinking would work under a tweed blazer in which case I'd want to tuck.

- Curious if anyone has seen any cord pants in a green or olive color (preferably a bit light or faded)?

- Has anyone ever worn a jacket with a pattern like this before? It intrigues me except I feel like my age would instantly double wearing such a monstrosity.

yBMLQCRm.jpg

I would so wear a jacket with that pattern. Gotta be slim fit though, or it will make you look like an old man.

Quick

Banned

yBMLQCRm.jpg

1: If the length reaches between your pants' belt line and crotch. If it's flowing down like a dress, that's a no.

60e47bcf_ScreenShot2013-07-31at10.59.52AM.png

3: Embrace patterns, but match it well. That kind of pattern is nice and a bit muted.

Quick

Banned
You make it sound like shirt length is some kind of universal rule.

I think it works on conventional attire and in the parameters lupin23rd put in. He said he's planning on wearing it with denim untucked and maybe with a blazer (tucked in). I didn't say it was universal, but it's certainly a safe bet anyway.

The picture you posted has a length that might look really weird with denim for a more casual look. And it seems to only work with tall and skinny guys.

And personally speaking, I'm not really sure how great that would look seeing it worn and with the person in motion. It seems like it works best for someone who would usually just stand still all day.

Moonkid

You could do something like a greyscale (black/white/grey whatever) suit and then get a similar colour pocket square and socks to her dress.

Like a medium grey suit, dark grey tie, white shirt, burgundy pocket square (go for something patterned rather than solid imo) and burgundy socks (maybe some kind of argyle).

edit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010CMZ53W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRH717Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20
A fellow Kiwi! What are the odds. Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of a patterned pocket square but it could be a lot nicer than your plain one. It's tough for me to pull off a grey suit so I'm leaning towards black. I'm presuming I should avoid matching a bow/tie, too tacky?, and socks do seem like a natural option. I'm keen for a different pair of shoes that aren't plain black but browns can be so complex. If you buy your clothing from NZ, are there any places, online or retail, you'd recommend? I know Barkers are pretty decent, it's where I've gotten my formal wear so far. I live in Auckland on the Shore by the way.

Lotto

so where can i find replacement mmm gat laces (the creme colored ones) for these bundeswher gats? not very fond of the stock laces on these.

lupin23rd

1: If the length reaches between your pants' belt line and crotch. If it's flowing down like a dress, that's a no.

60e47bcf_ScreenShot2013-07-31at10.59.52AM.png

3: Embrace patterns, but match it well. That kind of pattern is nice and a bit muted.

I think the problem for me would be finding a shirt to match it with. I can easily see some nice dark denim or various colors of cords I have working for pants, but other than throwing on the staple blue shirt, I have trouble when it comes to matching shirts with patterned jackets since I like patterned shirts haha

A fellow Kiwi! What are the odds. Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of a patterned pocket square but it could be a lot nicer than your plain one. It's tough for me to pull off a grey suit so I'm leaning towards black. I'm presuming I should avoid matching a bow/tie, too tacky?, and socks do seem like a natural option. I'm keen for a different pair of shoes that aren't plain black but browns can be so complex. If you buy your clothing from NZ, are there any places, online or retail, you'd recommend? I know Barkers are pretty decent, it's where I've gotten my formal wear so far. I live in Auckland on the Shore by the way.

I've seen a lot of people go with matching ties but it's not exactly subtle. Black is fine for a ball.

Not sure where to recommend, I think there is a suit shop in Albany mall though. I also live in the shore lmao.

SuperSah

Banned
I have a "formal" event coming up to celebrate Law school and deteste suit trousers like the plague.

Chinos are still reasonably formal with a shirt, shoes and actual blazer, right? Worn it before and felt smart, so don't see why not..

I have a "formal" event coming up to celebrate Law school and deteste suit trousers like the plague.

Chinos are still reasonably formal with a shirt, shoes and actual blazer, right? Worn it before and felt smart, so don't see why not..
formal to me says suit at a minimum. I'd probably wear some kind of evening tux-type garment, personally.

Moonkid

I've seen a lot of people go with matching ties but it's not exactly subtle. Black is fine for a ball.

Not sure where to recommend, I think there is a suit shop in Albany mall though. I also live in the shore lmao.
I will keep that in mind, thanks for all the advice mate!

Haha Albany mall is the classic place to go, although I can't remember there being a dedicated suit shop there. I haven't been there in a while though so I'll have to check it out. Very small world lol.

Honestly, when it comes to prom, everyone is trying to do some unique thing. The best way to stand out at prom and to look the best is to get a tux that actually fits well, instead of those shitty rental ones most people wear. If you're a skinny guy, and don't want to spend too much money, I think Topman sells decent enough tuxedos. If you're really set on the color thing, I find that colored bowties look cheesy, and would instead find a red suit / tux (which I think Topman also has) and keep the shirt / bowtie traditional. Let the suit, and only the suit, do the talking. If you go crazy and get matching everything and braces, it comes off as way too loud.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright. I need to change it up a bit. What do you guys wear with dark jeans & boots aside from t-shirts? I usually go with a plain colored T, but am wanting something different.

Also, aside from Clark's desert boots, what's a good all around pair to wear with dark jeans?

overcast

I would go the blue blazer. I like the parka, but I'm not a big fan of fur in general. Nice parka though.

I also live in California, so it's completely foreign to me.

NinjaBoiX

Illithid, is any garment you buy being SLP a prerequisite or something? Are you trying to catch 'em all?

Spread your wings bro! Variety is the spice and all that!

Just order this:

DKNY MA1 zip through cardigan
ELZXQu5.jpg

And this:

G-Star Midder zip through hoody
zoSwYpc.jpg

Returned that shiny DKNY Harrington I posted last week though, it looked kind of tacky on to be honest. The trainers are fly though.

NinjaBoiX

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a preference, but the parka is Yves Salomon so I'm branching out!
Haha, fair enough.

Being a short arse my first filter is size, I literally flick through the hangers looking for small/extra small stuff before I even consider if I like it or not. I've been burnt too often on "that's really cool but it swamps me", sucks...

Price comes next, I can rarely bring myself to spend much more than £50 on an everyday item of clothing, obviously a few exceptions aside (those two jackets were £40 each in a 70% sale, bingo!)

As I've said before, I've never been one to be a label whore. Not going to lie, it's always nice when something that fits and is the right price is a "cool" brand, but I'd never make it a primary consideration. Hell I often rock £5 tees from Primark, couldn't care less.

Haha, fair enough.

Being a short arse my first filter is size, I literally flick through the hangers looking for small/extra small stuff before I even consider if I like it or not. I've been burnt too often on "that's really cool but it swamps me", sucks...

Price comes next, I can rarely bring myself to spend much more than £50 on an everyday item of clothing, obviously a few exceptions aside (those two jackets were £40 each in a 70% sale, bingo!)

As I've said before, I've never been one to be a label whore. Not going to lie, it's always nice when something that fits and is the right price is a "cool" brand, but I'd never make it a primary consideration. Hell I often rock £5 tees from Primark, couldn't care less.
Having a brand you know will fit and look nice and be great quality is pretty cool, not gonna lie

not that I can afford SLP but you know

Top Bottom