• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

TylerD

I've only reached this point for $200+ shoes. Still expensive to me, but the idea of it is no longer outlandish after buying my first pair of strands and falling in love with them.

I am contemplating picking up some Alden Indy 405s to celebrate my new job and that they would go great with raw denim\chinos\cords\basically anything that I will get to wear to the office every day now. Hard to swallow that $450 and over price though I know they will last for many many years.

Most I have spent on shoes is $200

Alucrid

Banned
Question to those of you who have jobs: Every month, do you allocate x amount of spend on clothes? I get money from my parents and work and every month I say this is how much I can spend on clothes. I always end up spending more..

no. some months i buy something. some months i don't buy something.

giga

Question to those of you who have jobs: Every month, do you allocate x amount of spend on clothes? I get money from my parents and work and every month I say this is how much I can spend on clothes. I always end up spending more..
I don't set a strict budget, but I do monitor my accounts if I'm fluctuating outside my comfort zone. The first thing I do after each paycheck is set aside a specific percentage to my savings account though. If you're not living paycheck to paycheck, you should do that so you won't feel guilty if you splurge every now and then.

I am contemplating picking up some Alden Indy 405s to celebrate my new job and that they would go great with raw denim\chinos\cords\basically anything that I will get to wear to the office every day now. Hard to swallow that $450 and over price though I know they will last for many many years.

Most I have spent on shoes is $200
aldens are solid shoes. you really won't regret it.

giga

Any of y'all thrift?

http://putthison.com/tagged/How_to_Thrift

This list of brands you can get for cheap has my interest. Need me some twill sport coats for the fall.

Super-Mega Excellent

Attolini
Barbera (Luciano) Collezioni Sartoriale
Battistoni
Belvest
Bijan
Luigi Borrelli
Brioni
D’Avenza
Thom Browne
Castangia
Cheshire Clothing (Chester Barrie)
Cifonelli
Dior homme
Isaia
Kiton
Oxxford
Ralph Lauren Purple Label (both the Saint Andrews and the Chester Barrie)
Sartoria Attolini
St. Andrews
Sartoria Castangia
Sartoria Partenopea
Stuart’s Choice (Isiah until 06, St Andrews post 06)
Zegna Napoli

Extremely Excellent

Alfred Dunhill London
Armani Collezioni
Armani Classico and Black Label (made by Vestimenta)
Boss Baldessarini (made by Caruso)
Boglioli
Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Canali and Canali Exclusive
Canali Proposta
Cantarelli
Caruso
Corneliani Linea Sartoria
Corneliani
Corneliani Trend and CC
Ermenegildo Zegna Couture (& mainline to a lesser extent - Z Zegna is low-end line)
Faconnable Tailleur (made by Canali and Cantarelli)
Hickey Freeman
Lanvin (not necessarily true for vintage)
Martin Greenman
Paul Smith (Mainline, not Paul Smith London)
Polo Blue Label (made in Italy)
Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Label (currently made by Canali, older by Corneliani)
Nervesa
Paul Stuart
Ravazzolo
Samuelsohn - Canada
Vestimenta
Zileri sartoriale line
Zileri Gruppo Forall

I should probably get a gf or wife so that iI can stop splurging on clothing and start saving...
not

My real problem is not sleeping early. Most of my purchases are when i can't go to sleep lol. I bought a n&f chambray shirt, two pair of nudie jeans, and a belt.

Anyone know how tube kelly fits? I couldn't find the measurements on the official site.

Thanks for the replies. That's one thing I want to get right straight out of school, setting up budgets and allocating amounts of my paycheck. That way I always have an idea of what I'm spending.

I thrift all the time. Dior Homme, though, I wouldn't really put on this list. Not the easiest to get for low prices; Jil Sander is much better in that regard, but not as common. Caruso and Castangia , defintely. List should include Raffaele Caruso Satoria Parma (sp?). A lot of random Italian manufacturers get super cheap online, too. More than I can count. Same with shoes.

Also, there are a lot of designer labels that go cheap constantly. Costume national and mauro grifoni are the two big ones that immediately come to mind.

Between my car payment, gas money, clothing, and my Starbucks addiction, I pretty much keep a really close watch as to where my money goes. It's much worse this year since my savings contain the amount for a PS4, a game and an accessory or two lol.

I don't necessarily have a budget, maybe like $100 bucks a month for whatever clothing I need. Shoes, jackets, shirts, if I need, want it, and the price seems alright, I'll probably go for it.

Anyway, I tried thrifting a couple of times. But I live in North Texas so any chance of getting something decent is highly unlikely. The couple of decent shops I know are often frequented by hipsters or whatnot so the good stuff is usually gone.

I don't necessarily have a budget, maybe like $100 bucks a month for whatever clothing I need. Shoes, jackets, shirts, if I need, want it, and the price seems alright, I'll probably go for it.
Damn, to me that's a lot. I probably put aside at max R500 a month out of my own pocket. That's roughly $50 and that's a lot for me. My parents usually end up spending more on me, though.

Damn, to me that's a lot. I probably put aside at max R500 a month out of my own pocket. That's roughly $50 and that's a lot for me. My parents usually end up spending more on me, though.

Lol let's just say I've got a really cushy job for a college student. It ends at the end of this month though, so I'm hoping to find another gig to spend this much. If that ain't possible, I'll probably have to reduce it for a while before I can find another job. :(

And $100 US isn't a lot from my experience. Without sales or anything like that, I'm just limited to 2 shirts from Uniqlo or J Crew. But during sales, it's definitely a lot. Like this weekend, if I didn't buy that $75 jacket from Banana Republic I'd have been able to pick up a couple more shirts or a pair of shoes but I needed the jacket more so I went with that instead.

Just watch your purchases to be financially responsible and you'll be fine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not sure how much you want to burn on a belt but I have a couple from torino leather and they are quite good. Usually around $40-$50.
These seem nice. I do want real leather, not extremely thin leather covered with synthetic garbage, which is extremely common these days.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Damn you all, I have found like 8 things at ASOS I want now...

About to pull the trigger on:

image1xxl.jpg

image1xxl.jpg

Anyone have any ASOS shirts? Do they run long? The image shows the model wearing it untucked which I'd like to do, but I want to make sure it looks good like that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I only spend money on clothes when I need to buy stuff. I don't have a budget for clothes per se.

f0rk

I think Richard James said only the final ~20% was worked on in the UK. They had to remove the labels though. Here's an article about it

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-ndash-but-stitched-in-mauritius-1040243.html

I just think it's unacceptable for the price that Gieves & Hawkes are asking for their made to measure line (for example their made to measure trousers start at £400 and it's manufactured in the Mauritius. Comparatively a designer, i.e. Burberry makes their Prorsum trousers in Italy in the £450-£550 range, and offer a number of alterations too).

Seeing as you seem to know what you are talking about and are in the UK, where would you recommend for a suit for ~£400-£500? I need another suit for work, the one I have at the moment is from Moss Bros and I'd like a step up. There are shops like Boss, Ted Baker and Ben Sherman where I'm moving to that I need to check out but I imagine they are a bit overpriced?

friday

I saw today that they are opening a Uniqlo in Brooklyn, right near the Barclays Center. Always makes me happy to see good stores in Brooklyn.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Seeing as you seem to know what you are talking about and are in the UK, where would you recommend for a suit for ~£400-£500? I need another suit for work, the one I have at the moment is from Moss Bros and I'd like a step up. There are shops like Boss, Ted Baker and Ben Sherman where I'm moving to that I need to check out but I imagine they are a bit overpriced?

Hmm. Depends really; are you planning to wear it just to work (as literally a workhorse suit, i.e. once it's worn out, you'll just bin it)?

Or do you want to be able to wear it to work and then maybe use the trousers/blazer as separates to wear with other things for a less formal/off duty look?

You can get a good quality suit from Paul Smith, and for your budget there are 3 ranging from £485 to £515.

However if you want the suit to be a bit more versatile and have it longer lasting, then you could consider getting a special order suit from Anthony Sinclair (savile row). It's a little higher than your current budget at £750 (pre vat), but it's one step away from full on bespoke and you have the choice from an almost limitless number of cloths, style/cut (i.e. tapered trousers, flared, straight leg, belt loops, side adjusters, double vent, single vent, wide/slim lapel, notch/peak lapel etc) and finishing details. It's also made in England and has a delivery time of 6 weeks, so given the time, it's worth considering depending on if a) you think it's worth it, and b) your situation, use of suit etc.

Definitely check out those stores that you mentioned nearby. I've never bought a suit from those stores, so I can't comment on their quality, comfort, longevity etc.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyone have any ASOS shirts? Do they run long? The image shows the model wearing it untucked which I'd like to do, but I want to make sure it looks good like that.

Asos in-house brand? Their button-up shirts, from the three I've purchased and returned, don't run long but are extremely narrow, have very high arm holes, and painfully slim sleeves.

I'm either going to need a high paying job or a sugar momma when I'm older. Even just looking at ASOS I can choose 5 or so items per page that I could easily want. I tested the other day and in 10 pages I was able to spend 1800 pounds. Which is more than R10,000. Wow.

Kraftwerk

I'm either going to need a high paying job or a sugar momma when I'm older. Even just looking at ASOS I can choose 5 or so items per page that I could easily want. I tested the other day and in 10 pages I was able to spend 1800 pounds. Which is more than R10,000. Wow.

Manshion : style is eternal, my wallet is not.

:'(

f0rk

Hmm. Depends really; are you planning to wear it just to work (as literally a workhorse suit, i.e. once it's worn out, you'll just bin it)?

Or do you want to be able to wear it to work and then maybe use the trousers/blazer as separates to wear with other things for a less formal/off duty look?

You can get a good quality suit from Paul Smith, and for your budget there are 3 ranging from £485 to £515.

Thanks. If I'm being honest I would probably wear it for work but don't have to all the time.
There is a Paul Smith in Leeds as well so I can check them out, although I just found out I'll be living in London for the next couple of months so I guess anything is open to me to actually look at. I'm guessing the stores on Savile Row are all even more than £750?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Thanks. If I'm being honest I would probably wear it for work but don't have to all the time.
There is a Paul Smith in Leeds as well so I can check them out, although I just found out I'll be living in London for the next couple of months so I guess anything is open to me to actually look at. I'm guessing the stores on Savile Row are all even more than £750?

Yup, the thing is, all the made to measure options from the Row will either be made in England or elsewhere for cheap labour, but I don't think you'll beat Anthony Sinclair's special order pricing for made in England. (Not to mention his special order service allows more bespoke options whilst not being fully bespoke :))

I would suggest calling the individual houses, ask for their price range for a 2-piece suit and ask where their (made to measure/special order) suits are made.

Edit: I'll be getting a special order waistcoat from Anthony Sinclair to match an existing pair of trousers in late September, so I can give you very up to date feedback then if you like. (From previous experience, it's God-tier).

No, like I don't know why. I have no plans to sleep or date this woman. She just got out of rehab and goes to AA. I'm not attracted to her. She just did it because she felt like buying me a present.

Rookje

Any of y'all thrift?

http://putthison.com/tagged/How_to_Thrift

This list of brands you can get for cheap has my interest. Need me some twill sport coats for the fall.
I dont' understand thrifting. I mean, why wouldn't the guys working at the thrift shop just buy those items and sell them on eBay?

Its almost like playing the lotto, but you gotta sift through a bunch of pleb cloth for hours around town in hopes of finding anything good.

Alucrid

Banned
I dont' understand thrifting. I mean, why wouldn't the guys working at the thrift shop just buy those items and sell them on eBay?

Its almost like playing the lotto, but you gotta sift through a bunch of pleb cloth for hours around town in hopes of finding anything good.

not everyone who works at thrift shops know that much about clothes. some dude found a backlash leather shirt that was like...2 grand for a hundred or so in some store.

well I assume it meant internet thrifting as well, and a lot of those labels on the list go for a fraction of msrp, either because it's old stock or simply unknown. every now and then you see something from sandy dalal pop up for about $50 or so, and pretty much everything the dude made was $300+. In 2001.

Top Bottom