• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Alucrid

Banned
LL

Rad-

What are some nice looking winter shoes? I usually just rock trainers but I think it's about time I bought a proper pair of winter shoes. I'm pretty bad when it comes to shoe style, help me gaf.

With them I would usually wear dark blue jeans.

What are some nice looking winter shoes? I usually just rock trainers but I think it's about time I bought a proper pair of winter shoes. I'm pretty bad when it comes to shoe style, help me gaf.

Where do you live? I'd suggest work boots. Alden Indy boots, Wolverine 1000 milers, Red Wing, etc. Most look great with chinos or jeans.

friday

Classic brown or black leather boots are the standard suggestion. They can also be worn year around in most climates.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As this jacket from ASOS was too small and they are now out of stock does anyone know anywhere else in the US I can order the jacket? Or have suggestions to something similar (in similar colors)? I like it a lot, so it sucks it doesn't fit.

Noema

I'm in dire need of some sort of fashion emergency. I have no idea how I should dress, and I'm 34 years old. It's something that I've never put any thought to, and now I find out that I have no clue.

And I don't know where to begin. I looked at some of the blogs in the OP, and for the most part they are just collections of photos of good looking people who would look good even if tarred and feathered. This doesn't help me at all, because they don't tell me anything in terms of what a regular looking dude should wear to look good.

Is there some sort of 101 Men's Fashion website that can spell out some basics? Like some basic Dos and Don'ts for someone who is oblivious to what looks good and what goes well with what. I would really appreciate some pointers.

friday

Is there some sort of 101 Men's Fashion website that can spell out some basics? Like some basic Dos and Don'ts for someone who is oblivious to what looks good and what goes well with what. I would really appreciate some pointers.

I dont know what you're interested in look wise but maybe start with dappered. They are pretty conservative and focus on stuff that is not too expensive.

Lirlond

First things first. Get yourself measured. Mens fashion is all about the fit. Doesn't matter if you're wearing gods gift to fashion if its the wrong size

I'm in dire need of some sort of fashion emergency. I have no idea how I should dress, and I'm 34 years old. It's something that I've never put any thought to, and now I find out that I have no clue.

And I don't know where to begin. I looked at some of the blogs in the OP, and for the most part they are just collections of photos of good looking people who would look good even if tarred and feathered. This doesn't help me at all, because they don't tell me anything in terms of what a regular looking dude should wear to look good.

While this is about suits,the basic rules of fit apply to everything else
http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/201204/suits-guide-tailoring-fit#slide=1

Also a good basic wardrobe for a regular dude
http://putthison.com/post/712103418/the-essential-mans-wardrobe-perhaps-the-most

It was mac!
I bought it for my son, hopefully it fits him when he gets bigger.

Does this kind of look interest you at all? I'll be the first to admit my OP wasn't geared towards 35+ style.

tumblr_mpguscVVbe1s8o6pbo1_500.jpg

Noema

I dont know what you're interested in look wise but maybe start with dappered. They are pretty conservative and focus on stuff that is not too expensive.

Thanks for the link! That website seems to be what I needed. I've been reading it on my phone today and it looks like a goldmine.

First things first. Get yourself measured. Mens fashion is all about the fit. Doesn't matter if you're wearing gods gift to fashion if its the wrong size

Yes, this is an excellent point and it's something that has eluded me for years. I actually have kind of weird proportions: a short torso, and very long arms and particularly monstrously long legs, and this is why clothes often look weird on me: I need to get pants that are too big for my waist.

While this is about suits,the basic rules of fit apply to everything else
http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/201204/suits-guide-tailoring-fit#slide=1

Also a good basic wardrobe for a regular dude
http://putthison.com/post/712103418/the-essential-mans-wardrobe-perhaps-the-most

This is pretty much what I was looking for, thanks!

Does this kind of look interest you at all? I'll be the first to admit my OP wasn't geared towards 35+ style.

tumblr_mpguscVVbe1s8o6pbo1_500.jpg

Well, it's not so much that I'm interested in "a look", per se. I just want to look decent and start dressing like a grown-up instead of just cobbling up clothes here and there and randomly wearing stuff that I have in my closet. Just to give you an idea: about half the clothes I own I already owned when I was in college (12 years ago)

And I understand that at 34 I'm most likely not in the target demographic for this thread :)

Which is fine, I basically just want to look masculine but well groomed. Nothing too fancy. I'm not particularly handsome but I'm not hideous either, and I'm 6'2" and somewhat built (I lift weights pretty consistently), and yet clothes just seem to look "off" on me. I'm never really happy with how clothes look on me. I am single and I feel I still have a couple of good years in me, so being more fashion conscious is a must I feel. :p But fashion not only intimidates me. It's impenetrable to me. So I need the most basic 101 my first style guide sort of information, preferably with pictures :p

Thanks for the help guys!

Well, it's not so much that I'm interested in "a look", per se. I just want to look decent and start dressing like a grown-up instead of just cobbling up clothes here and there and randomly wearing stuff that I have in my closet. Just to give you an idea: about half the clothes I own I already owned when I was in college (12 years ago)

And I understand that at 34 I'm most likely not in the target demographic for this thread :)

Which is fine, I basically just want to look masculine but well groomed. Nothing too fancy. I'm not particularly handsome but I'm not hideous either, and I'm 6'2" and somewhat built (I lift weights pretty consistently), and yet clothes just seem to look "off" on me. I'm never really happy with how clothes look on me. I am single and I feel I still have a couple of good years in me, so being more fashion conscious is a must I feel. :p But fashion not only intimidates me. It's impenetrable to me. So I need the most basic 101 my first style guide sort of information, preferably with pictures :p

Thanks for the help guys!

You're being modest man, you're not somewhat built based on what you've posted in the fitness thread.

Above all, because you have an athletic build, make sure whatever you decide to end up buying fits you well. I suggest trying slim cuts of shirts first, or size down from whatever you would wear in a tshirt. You don't need every item listed in those links, but whatever you do get should flatter your physique.

someone point me to a black and white leopard print sweater. i was looking at the raf simons one on ssense but it was way to bulky and why would i want to spend $500 on something made out of acrylic?

nitewulf

So I've been looking for a watch for awhile now, something casual/dressy and non sport. I'm not a watch buff but through my research I found the style I most prefer:
tangente38_front.png

Beautiful watch, ouf.. It's perfect. But unfortunately it's also $4K. So I continued to look around and found a watch very similar to it. Granted it's a supplier from china, but the quality is apparently very high (according to watchuseek.com atleast). I placed my order yesterday, cant wait until I have it.

1174834d1375317030-affordable-nomos-homage-review-rodina-small-seconds-pictures-rodinawrist.jpg

Some specs:
here's my nomos.

overcast

That white pants + tuck combo look is definitely a win.

I enjoy keeping my options open, but sometimes the tuck looks so clean. Though I've felt I looked weird with it. Depends on the whole outfit.

Noema

You're being modest man, you're not somewhat built based on what you've posted in the fitness thread.
Above all, because you have an athletic build, make sure whatever you decide to end up buying fits you well. I suggest trying slim cuts of shirts first, or size down from whatever you would wear in a tshirt. You don't need every item listed in those links, but whatever you do get should flatter your physique.

Heh, thanks man :) I still have a long way to go. I'm a bit thick around the waist so I need to work. It's hard though. And yeah, I think the key is fit: this is something I've never gotten right, but I'm learning :)

I really hope people aren't dissuaded that this thread isn't for them because of what is discussed page-to-page. Plus, we have at least two 30 year olds in here (will not name and shame! :p). And at least another in a month (this guy)

Lunchbox aside (ilu lunchbro), this thread is, or at least should be, open to a good variety of tastes, budgets, and lifestyles. There is nothing wrong with dipping into the mess of fashion and coming out as a regular-looking dude who is put together well and being happy with that. Sometimes that's all it takes, and it's easy to spot the results; real recognize real, as they say.

Good post mac. Real recognize real
leather, fuck polyurethane.

To be honest I've always felt my enthusiasm for fashion was just a money drain with no noticeable benefits/positives.
You don't feel better about yourself at all? To compare, try following the Lunchbox guide to success and wear A&F for a week. I'm sure you'll feel like shit (and look like it).

Top Bottom