• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

So I'm thinking of taking the plunge on this watch. Any updated impressions on this after you bought it?

I'm also considering picking up the Cole Haan Lunargrand Wingtip. Anyone here have any impressions of them?

C10226_A.png
They're pretty popular around here. You're basically getting the look of the Prada Wingtip Sneakers for 1/3 of the price.

With that said, they've always looked off to me for some reason. If I recall, these were one of the last shoe models they did when Cole Haan was owned by Nike, and to me they've always looked a little too Nike esque. I don't know. For what it's worth I'm not really a fan of the Prada ones either, so clearly it's just not my style.

If you like them go for it though. Seen a lot of guys wear them with success.

There are a few decent pieces in the GQ x Gap collab, mostly the Bespoken stuff IMO.

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=99773&mlink=5058,7106519,HP_Main_2&clink=7106519
I figured the Bespoken stuff would be the best. The Baldwin collection is pretty decent too.

Thoughts? Made of wool and cashmere. I'm just wondering if it'd be warm enough for winter. It's handmade as well. $240. Not sure if I want to spend that much, but the look has my eye.

il_570xN.435347293_jc68.jpg
Not a fan of three button closures. Jacket looks sort of weird to me for some reason.

sruckus

Just had to have this sweater and it was sold out online and wasn't at my store. What do I do? Contact Banana Republic and have them ship it from one of two stores that still has it...Massachusetts. I have a problem haha.

br-colorblock-crew.jpg

maxxpower

I cannot for the love of fuck find a pair of jeans that look good with my "slimmer" boots. I've tried the tapered and skinny jeans and they look kinda weird in the crotch area.

What are your guys thoughts on this vest? I saw it at Nordstrom today and thought it could be an interesting layering piece. Still debating whether to keep it or take it back. I like that it has a baseball collar and that it's quilted. Looks decent over a button up.

Thoughts?

New suit and photo I had taken.

Suit looks like it fits pretty decent (hard to tell from that position) in the shoulders at least. Tough color to wear year round unless you're blessed with the right golden tan skin tone. Browns would look really good with that suit though.

Going hunting for a autum/winter coat today, hope I can find something.
Of all the highstreet stuff Im thinking Zara may come though for me, a nice brown coat or jacket would be great.

h3ro

I dunno, because of it's size, the vest might be a cool layering option over a suit jacket or denim one.

Don't post as much as I'd like in here, will try to be a bit more active. Fall is my favorite season. Just picked up a pair of olive leather desert boots, looking forward to breaking them in!

Also, #teamtucked.

Think I'm going to the city soon, going to splurge at Uniqlo.

Uniqlo is goooood, shame Its 45 miles away from me so I hardly go.
Fuck I wish it would properly change to Autum here, jumpers and jeans weather.
I cant pack for weekends away if the weather is flipping from "warm enough for T and jeans" to "Frost and rain" and then to "so hot its shorts time"! A weekend bag can only hold so much :/

Actually, I have a question.
Tie bars on skinny ties? Im not a huge fan of regular ties and I feel like a tie bar would help round off the suit im using to go to interviews in.

Alucrid

Banned
Uniqlo is goooood, shame Its 45 miles away from me so I hardly go.
Fuck I wish it would properly change to Autum here, jumpers and jeans weather.
I cant pack for weekends away if the weather is flipping from "warm enough for T and jeans" to "Frost and rain" and then to "so hot its shorts time"! A weekend bag can only hold so much :/
You don't have any pants that zip off into shorts? What the hell

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
They're pretty popular around here. You're basically getting the look of the Prada Wingtip Sneakers for 1/3 of the price.

With that said, they've always looked off to me for some reason. If I recall, these were one of the last shoe models they did when Cole Haan was owned by Nike, and to me they've always looked a little too Nike esque. I don't know. For what it's worth I'm not really a fan of the Prada ones either, so clearly it's just not my style.

If you like them go for it though. Seen a lot of guys wear them with success.

Sweet thanks, I'll probably cop them. I've been meaning to for a while, I just needed someone to enable me. :) Need to figure out sizing though, maybe I'll stop by a Cole Haan store and try on some of their shoes to see how big/small they run.

What are your guys thoughts on this vest? I saw it at Nordstrom today and thought it could be an interesting layering piece. Still debating whether to keep it or take it back. I like that it has a baseball collar and that it's quilted. Looks decent over a button up.

Thoughts?

I've actually been considering getting a similar vest, they seem to be showing up in a lot of this season's lookbooks. They're easy to layer and they can work on button-up shirts as well as more casual t-shirts and long sleeve polos. That being said, the ones I've seen have more of a collar than the one you're wearing.

fable-675x450.jpg

fable11-675x450.jpg

look5.jpg

I think possibly the reason everyone is saying it makes you look bulky is that the vest itself is so slim. Maybe try a larger/thicker style?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sweet thanks, I'll probably cop them. I've been meaning to for a while, I just needed someone to enable me. :) Need to figure out sizing though, maybe I'll stop by a Cole Haan store and try on some of their shoes to see how big/small they run.

re: those shoes, definitely hit up Nordstrom Rack if you're going to buy them. CH Lunargrands are a ~40-50% off staple on their shelves.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
re: those shoes, definitely hit up Nordstrom Rack if you're going to buy them. CH Lunargrands are a ~40-50% off staple on their shelves.

Dammit, just checked online and they don't have my size/color combination in stock at the Union Square store. I would have to go all the way out to Jersey to pick it up...

bob page

Dammit, just checked online and they don't have my size/color combination in stock at the Union Square store. I would have to go all the way out to Jersey to pick it up...

Also check out the Embolden by Sketchers. They are a shameless, *exact* carbon copy of the Lunargrades. I got them in tan and you can't see any different in appearance or comfort other than the logo underneath the shoe. You can usually find them for $60-70.

Actually, I have a question.
Tie bars on skinny ties? Im not a huge fan of regular ties and I feel like a tie bar would help round off the suit im using to go to interviews in.

I wear a tie bar with my slim ties usually. Make sure it covers between 1/2 and 2/3 of the tie's width (my ties are usually between 2.5-3").

Rookje

I've actually been considering getting a similar vest, they seem to be showing up in a lot of this season's lookbooks. They're easy to layer and they can work on button-up shirts as well as more casual t-shirts and long sleeve polos. That being said, the ones I've seen have more of a collar than the one you're wearing.

fable-675x450.jpg

fable11-675x450.jpg

look5.jpg

I think possibly the reason everyone is saying it makes you look bulky is that the vest itself is so slim. Maybe try a larger/thicker style?
I think they only work if you have a slimmer frame. Lucky is too muscular/bulky to make it work imo. For example, Raf wouldn't really work on Lucky either.

Honestly, not a good look.

Doesn't suit your physique.

makes you look really bulky LBC

that vest is a ticket to bulk city.

Remove that vest then I can't fault you.

I dunno, because of it's size, the vest might be a cool layering option over a suit jacket or denim one.

Also, #teamtucked.
Thanks for the honest opinions guys. I agree, it's quite slim and makes outfits limiting because of it. I think I'll take it back when I get back to Seattle.

f0rk

I swear N&F are racist, even in London their only stockists are Liberty's who only have like 2 pairs. What are some alternatives I might be able to actually find?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Also check out the Embolden by Sketchers. They are a shameless, *exact* carbon copy of the Lunargrades. I got them in tan and you can't see any different in appearance or comfort other than the logo underneath the shoe. You can usually find them for $60-70.

LOL you're not kidding! Damn, they really are the exact same shoe. Thanks for the tip.

maxxpower

I've been wanting to get a pair of chino pants for the longest time now, but I'd like a slim fit. Any recs?

I was thinking of something like this but not as "skinny":

image1xl.jpg

obin_gam

Got my monthly pay today, which means tomorrow my autumn wardrobe will be gotten! My shopping list:
Winter shoes. Black
Longer blazer. Prefferably dark grey but dark sand would also work.
Vest. Maybe sand. Already have a dark grey vest so at least something in another color.
Turtleneck. Several colors, not brown.
Pullover. Green?
Long underwear. Color doesnt matter here lol.
Blazer. Light grey or sand.
Belt. Sand.

I have a budget of about $1000 which hopefully should suffice

I'm a sucker for pebbled leather so full steam ahead I say. Valextra also makes nice stuff, but I think the price point is a little higher. Ferragamo is slightly less expensive from what I've seen.

Thanks, I like some of the valextra stuff and it is nice, but you are right about the price. The gucci one is about as much as I am willing to pay.

Some of those ferragamo bags look nice. I hope they have a place in Seoul I can have a look around.

Top Bottom