• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

9SbunAz.jpg
Ladies love it

giga

3 times a week. Most people at my office just wear button down shirt + pressed slacks (+ tie maybe), but I like to opt for a suit because I never know who I'll run into.

When I visit my clients, it's an always-suit policy. Even if they're wearing polos & jeans.
Are you a fixer?

I always pop my denim jacket collar a little bit. I think that's the way to go. Not all the way up but it's never all the way flat. It's a good rugged medium.

it's probably because the jeans have been sitting in a stack for a decade and are smooshed out along the side seams. they're a slim fit with a gentle taper the knee. you could always return them if you hate them, but if they fit, you won't. I guaranteeeeee ittt. dat silk denim feel. boner inducing.

robox

how often you guys retire your stuff? and where do you send it off to?
people pick up loads of new stuff every so often but i can't nor want to hold onto so much

friday

6PM is having a good sale of PF Flyers if you need some cheap canvas shoes. Lots of color variations. I think I might finally get those desert camo ones.

mblitek

Alright, in preparation for my new boots I went out and picked up some stuff! How did I do?

It's a more simple black one or this brown one which I like better. It has a bit more detail like around the neck, two zipper pockets etc. It's a slightly softer leather, more conditioned but it's in a dark brown. I thought it would go well with my new Allen Edmonds Dalton in Walnut colour. Thoughts?

Hugo Boss - Gento (

ORRRRRR:

Hugo Boss - Alcon (Moto style jacket in black)

Which one? I like the Brown, the details are nice. Both look a lot better in person.

Then I wanted some higher contrast jeans, more indigo'ish? So I went with some nudie jeans and a pair of J Brands which is apparently the best seller lately at Holt Renfrew (think Saks Fifth Avenue x Neiman Marcus.) I can't decide what I like better, I was looking at the Dry Selvedge nudies but I wasn't sold...thoughts?

Nudie - Tape Ted
qrpicYm.png

6ulFCNm.png

J Brand - Kane (Indigo)
qmCVnut.png

yNBPJY8.png

Then a John Varvatos Henley to go under some of my jackets/hoodies. I think my buttons are different?
John Varvatos - Henley (Black)
seeoDVS.jpg

Also bought the new Versace cologne, smells great!

So how did I do?

Alright, in preparation for my new boots I went out and picked up some stuff! How did I do?

It's a more simple black one or this brown one which I like better. It has a bit more detail like around the neck, two zipper pockets etc. It's a slightly softer leather, more conditioned but it's in a dark brown. I thought it would go well with my new Allen Edmonds Dalton in Walnut colour. Thoughts?

Also bought the new Versace cologne, smells great!

So how did I do?
Did you buy all this stuff already? Or are you deciding between things? Love the henley so good choice there.

As for the jackets, personally I can't stand moto style jackets (mostly because of the collar), but with that said, the brown is definitely better. It sounds like that's your thinking as well. Go with your gut. The brown is going to be more versatile anyways I think.

As for jeans, they're alright. Nudies look nice but I don't think their quality is very good compared to other denim in that price range. I know a lot of people who have gotten holes and crotch blowouts within a year. That shouldn't be happening. The J Brand jeans look good.

Overall I think you did pretty good. I should reiterate, the jackets just aren't my style but the quality is certainly there. You won't be disappointed with either. The henley is good and the jeans are decent. Overall pretty good.

trying to stop myself from buying $1k thom browne hooded sunglasses...
Pics of the sunglasses in question?

Then I wanted some higher contrast jeans, more indigo'ish? So I went with some nudie jeans and a pair of J Brands which is apparently the best seller lately at Holt Renfrew (think Saks Fifth Avenue x Neiman Marcus.) I can't decide what I like better, I was looking at the Dry Selvedge nudies but I wasn't sold...thoughts?

So how did I do?

Nudies are the shittiest jeans for the price. They have the quality of 70 dollar jeans but marked up 100%. J Brand is the better option. If your shopping at Holt, try APC, they are one of the best jeans around that price point. Naked and famous is probably the best denim for the price.

Goku

Banned
So.. I went to SuitSupply to try on some suits. I wore size 48 a year and a half back so I decided to try on 46. The dude working at the store said try a 44, 46 is a little loose. Tried on 44 and ... stil little loose around the chest. Apparantly I'm a size 42 now and those are tailor made. Tried about every store that sells a suit and almost no 42's, the ones they had were ugly.

I guess I have to buy the blazer/ jacket and pants separate now. Fuck.

Lirlond

American sizing is so weird. What measurement is that based on? Shoulders? Im used to buying based on the chest. So 42 would be fairly large lol. Never mind a 46.

Yeah I was going to say, 42 American is 52 European which is an extremely common size in both areas. 42 Euro is what, 32 American? You'll probably have to special order that in most places, that's pretty damn slim.

Goku

Banned
Yeah I was going to say, 42 American is 52 European which is an extremely common size in both areas. 42 Euro is what, 32 American? You'll probably have to special order that in most places, that's pretty damn slim.

I'm cut now :( Will start bulking after the wedding on november first. I'm quite surprised that my size isn't more common, there way slimmer people than I am. I don't find my body proportions out of the ordinairy to be honest. I'd buy a size 44 (euro) in a heartbeat if it weren't for that douche at SuitSupply who said I should go 42. I'll make a comparison picture between 44 and 42 tomorrow.

mblitek

Did you buy all this stuff already? Or are you deciding between things? Love the henley so good choice there.

As for the jackets, personally I can't stand moto style jackets (mostly because of the collar), but with that said, the brown is definitely better. It sounds like that's your thinking as well. Go with your gut. The brown is going to be more versatile anyways I think.

Yes, I bought everything already but the black jacket I brought back home to try on for size and opinion. So I'm going to get the brown one though. Agreed there. Besides a henley what kind of things should I wear underneath it? The henley has nice detail buttons on the cuffs too. Fits great.

As for jeans, they're alright. Nudies look nice but I don't think their quality is very good compared to other denim in that price range. I know a lot of people who have gotten holes and crotch blowouts within a year. That shouldn't be happening. The J Brand jeans look good.

Overall I think you did pretty good. I should reiterate, the jackets just aren't my style but the quality is certainly there. You won't be disappointed with either. The henley is good and the jeans are decent. Overall pretty good.

Well, no need to worry about quality I guess...I'm in a wheelchair so unfortunately I won't wear them out! Yet, at least! I have a spinal cord injury so you never know when things will "connect!"

I understand what you mean about the jackets though, it's just like me and baseball jackets. I can appreciate them, just not a fan :)

Nudies are the shittiest jeans for the price. They have the quality of 70 dollar jeans but marked up 100%. J Brand is the better option. If your shopping at Holt, try APC, they are one of the best jeans around that price point. Naked and famous is probably the best denim for the price.

Damn. Oh well, I love the fit & cut so far. I've never heard of J Brand until yesterday, I'll check out APC and Naked & Famous next time. Thanks!

Lirlond

UK sizing makes the most sense to me >_> 38 is a 38" chest and a 32" waist. Easy

36" chest is pretty common here. I see it a lot.

Top Bottom