• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Put 300 of those dollars towards buying me a plane ticket and I'll come help you make this decision in person.

Seriously though $800 scarf what. At least give us pics of the items in question.

I can't find pictures of some of them, but it's a silk/cashmere blend scarf that also happens to be nine feet long. That's a lot of fabric! And then the Hedi tax doesn't help.

32347M012006_2_1.jpg
Who's going to be the first gaffer to buy this cool new hat?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone help me with finding a Levi's Sherpa in the UK? I'm trying to find the 'Soil aka chocolate brown' color in cord but it seems impossible to find it. Only places I've seen are either XXL or sold outs. I'm town between that and the Gold colored version.

Any suit enthusiasts here?

Had a new bespoke double breast suit tailored.

The grey plastic buttons are temporary until I find them in dark brown horn.

The concave-like shoulders are known as pagoda shoulders. Minimal padding so it has a nice natural curve, the edges of which are raised through a neat roping technique.

DBs traditionally have wider lapels but I went with a more contemporary cut.

Any alteration suggestions? I still have to add in the pick-stitching on the inner lining of the jacket which is maroon silk.

vb52aeUh.jpg

SeanR1221

Ok opinion from non biased strangers time. Lately I feel like my large sized v necks are too tight. They're basically all from banana republic. My wife says I'm crazy, they fit fine and I look good. So give me your opinions, guys. I did try on an xl (should have snapped a pic) and it did seem like I was swimming in it a little. Especially since I'm only 5'8.

This is fresh out of the dryer, so it will stretch a bit as the day goes on.

MegalonJJ

Banned

The concave-like shoulders are known as pagoda shoulders. Minimal padding so it has a nice natural curve, the edges of which are raised through a neat roping technique.

Any alteration suggestions? I still have to add in the pick-stitching on the inner lining of the jacket which is maroon silk.

vb52aeUh.jpg

Suit/tailoring? Right here.

Looks beautiful.

Re suggestions, for my personal preferences I would think about maybe getting the trousers hemmed slightly higher (with a touch more taper) to complete the elegant look.

My ideal trouser length with regards to taper and break is pretty much the below picture (I also like turn ups to give the trousers weight at the bottom so they sit well, in addition to the higher rise (trousers only, not jeans, but the picture is just for the taper and break example)).

Dr-No_Sean-Connery_light-grey-suit_Trousers-full.bmp.jpg

Looks like apple just bought out Burberry's CEO and their trench coat line. Can't wait.
Presumably for their rumored watch. Didn't see anything about their trench coat line but I'm not sure what they'd do there.

vb52aeUh.jpg
Looks beautiful. The shoulders are impeccable and the body drapes nicely.

My only suggestion would be to hem the pants a touch higher, they look a little on the long side to me. Granted, I prefer a higher hem so I suppose it's all personal preference. Great suit though.

Ok opinion from non biased strangers time. Lately I feel like my large sized v necks are too tight. They're basically all from banana republic. My wife says I'm crazy, they fit fine and I look good. So give me your opinions, guys. I did try on an xl (should have snapped a pic) and it did seem like I was swimming in it a little. Especially since I'm only 5'8.

This is fresh out of the dryer, so it will stretch a bit as the day goes on.
It looks okay to me. Realistically, you're probably in that awkward in-between stage where a L is too small and an XL is too big. The shirt itself is tight but it doesn't look abnormally so. I wouldn't think anything of it if I saw you walking around for instance.

My only suggestion would be to hem the pants a touch higher, they look a little on the long side to me. Granted, I prefer a higher hem so I suppose it's all personal preference. Great suit though.

Suit/tailoring? Right here.

Looks beautiful.

Re suggestions, for my personal preferences I would think about maybe getting the trousers hemmed slightly higher (with a touch more taper) to complete the elegant look.

My ideal trouser length with regards to taper and break is pretty much the below picture (I also like turn ups to give the trousers weight at the bottom so they sit well, in addition to the higher rise (trousers only, not jeans, but the picture is just for the taper and break example)).

Dr-No_Sean-Connery_light-grey-suit_Trousers-full.bmp.jpg

Appreciate the comments/advice. I agree with you guys, the trousers are certainly on the long side. My tailor was angry enough as it was with me because I pushed him to make a slimmer silhouette than he is accustom to making. Definitely going to get it hemmed on my next visit. I think his heart can only take one change at a time, the old traditionalist.

The Connery picture is lovely btw. Perfect length.

Helmut Lang silk/denim jeans arrived today.
Yeah I'm keeping them. Also I like how a size 28 is medium, especially when the waist is a little smaller than my size 28 SLPs

D

Deleted member 13414

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone help me with finding a Levi's Sherpa in the UK? I'm trying to find the 'Soil aka chocolate brown' color in cord but it seems impossible to find it. Only places I've seen are either XXL or sold outs. I'm town between that and the Gold colored version.

Hey both of those jackets are really nice! Do you know the style code or color code to those jackets!? I'm in the US if I find some id be willing to ship em to you just cover shipping

The M._____ is just a place to write your name like an old school tailor tag.

Glad you like them, super jealous.
Aha! I was wondering wtf would a HL s or xs would be, surely you'd be looking at children's sizes. But yeah, they very comfy, feel great and am very happy with how much I paid, so thanks for linking them!

f0rk

The big itself is alright but I don't like the camo print, and I'm typically a big camo fan. How about something like this?
Actually I probably would go with that but they don't ship to or have any real UK stockists.
How about the Barbour Wax Holdall? Also thinking of saving some money and getting a Herschal one instead

PotatoCat

First post here! Hi!
So I went all out during the Columbus day holiday sales. I bought 8 pieces of clothes during that week, i normally buy 5 in 6 months. I also got my first pair of Chinos, dark brown colored, never really wore them but hey it was on sale so i got it. I do have a question though, Im normally a 30/30 but when i tried on the skinny chinos 30/30 seems a bit off so i went with a 29/30. They fit better but my question is do they shrink after you wash them? i never dealt with them before as this is my first pair.

Actually I probably would go with that but they don't ship to or have any real UK stockists.
How about the Barbour Wax Holdall? Also thinking of saving some money and getting a Herschal one instead
I like both of those options more than the camo one. As far as bags go, the simpler the better in my opinion. You don't want them clashing with whatever you're wearing.

First post here! Hi!
So I went all out during the Columbus day holiday sales. I bought 8 pieces of clothes during that week, i normally buy 5 in 6 months. I also got my first pair of Chinos, dark brown colored, never really wore them but hey it was on sale so i got it. I do have a question though, Im normally a 30/30 but when i tried on the skinny chinos 30/30 seems a bit off so i went with a 29/30. They fit better but my question is do they shrink after you wash them? i never dealt with them before as this is my first pair.
They might shrink a little bit but you can largely prevent that by cold washing and hang drying. After all, it's the heat that shrinks the clothes.

wandered into bloomingdales and found my new balances. really like them. I'm a little bothered that they look slightly different from each other but I'm probably the only one who's ever going to notice

edit: actually the left one is tighter as a consequence. this is going to drive me crazy

SeanR1221

Presumably for their rumored watch. Didn't see anything about their trench coat line but I'm not sure what they'd do there.

It looks okay to me. Realistically, you're probably in that awkward in-between stage where a L is too small and an XL is too big. The shirt itself is tight but it doesn't look abnormally so. I wouldn't think anything of it if I saw you walking around for instance.

Appreciate the response and the last line made me feel a lot better. I was kind of getting self conscious, but I'm honestly not ready to buy all new clothes at an xl size.

Magnus

Just received some Ralph Lauren polo/golf shirts as gifts. Love the cut, they fit nicely, but damn, the pattern/color is barf. I have no receipt but the tags are still on em. They were bought in the States on sale, and I'm in Canada.

What are my options? lol

All I'd love to do is swap em for solid colored ones.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Hey both of those jackets are really nice! Do you know the style code or color code to those jackets!? I'm in the US if I find some id be willing to ship em to you just cover shipping

Cheers dude. Luckily I think I've found a shop in the UK who have like 2 left in the gold color so going to order now. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just received some Ralph Lauren polo/golf shirts as gifts. Love the cut, they fit nicely, but damn, the pattern/color is barf. I have no receipt but the tags are still on em. They were bought in the States on sale, and I'm in Canada.

What are my options? lol

All I'd love to do is swap em for solid colored ones.

I would think you'd be able to go to the store and exchange them for something else. You could try calling them and asking them first to see what they say.

SeanR1221

I think I made a stupid mistake.

See, I always throw all my clothes in the wash and press cotton/normal and then in the dryer and press cotton normal.

Those banana republic shirts? Tumble dry low. Whoops. I've shrunk them :(!!!!

Gonna see if banana will let me exchange some. And from now on only underwear, undershirts and gym clothes on cotton normal. Everything else including my jeans on delicate.

I tumble dry everything on low since I can't think of any circumstance where that would be more risky than normal, regardless of what the tag says. The only thing I dry at higher temps are towels.

overcast

I need to decide on a jacket to buy. Been looking, haven't found anything perfect.

I found my cardigan I thought I lost, so I'm pretty good on sweaters luckily.

Some of us live in apartments and don't have backyards to hang our clothes out in. Hang drying my clothes isn't really very practical.

Don't need a backyard. I hang my clothes in the pantry, literally on top of the washer and dryer. I usually leave my clothes in the washer for 30 mins before I hang it, water doesn't seem to drip if I do that.

Btw, do y'all have a steamer y'all can recommend? Ironing is such a pain in the ass I just throw my clothes in the dryer and dewrinkle it for 20 mins. It works but it's obviously not as "clean" as a proper iron.

IceCold

How do you guys bring your lunches to work? Usually I put my lunch in a plastic bag which I carry using a school bag, but I don't really like school bags (especially when using public transportation), and feel like getting a small messenger bag instead. What do you guys think?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
How do you guys bring your lunches to work? Usually I put my lunch in a plastic bag which I carry using a school bag, but I don't really like school bags (especially when using public transportation), and feel like getting a small messenger bag instead. What do you guys think?

I use a messenger bag. I have a Diesel and G-Star one depending on what I'm wearing.

The only way.

2f7c2ac20a98799d01a513faae5bcf16.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
lol. I'll need a fedora hat to go with that though.

I should have thought of those brands. I was looking at rudsak and stuff. Just checked G-Star and they have some good stuff. Just don't know where I can buy them here.

I buy nearly all my clothes on ssense.com.

friday

Ordered some N&F Deep Indigo weird guys tonight from Blue Owl. I have been eying them for a while, can't wait to get them.

db_file_img_1291_600xauto.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Don't need a backyard. I hang my clothes in the pantry, literally on top of the washer and dryer. I usually leave my clothes in the washer for 30 mins before I hang it, water doesn't seem to drip if I do that.

Btw, do y'all have a steamer y'all can recommend? Ironing is such a pain in the ass I just throw my clothes in the dryer and dewrinkle it for 20 mins. It works but it's obviously not as "clean" as a proper iron.
I have a jiffy steamer. Fucking awesome, although nowadays I mostly wear Hanes v necks so I don't use it as much

Top Bottom