• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

mblitek

Ordered some N&F Deep Indigo weird guys tonight from Blue Owl. I have been eying them for a while, can't wait to get them.

db_file_img_1291_600xauto.jpg

They look great! I'll have to keep them in mind for next time.

Casual Friday. Finally got my ASOS shirt in. I know, I know, my brown Clark's would look better with this but I just couldn't resist the Chuck's I bought for my Doctor Who Halloween costume. :p

I've been on the lookout for other Henley's, I like that. I went to their site but I can't find the shirt. Link?

What benefits and/or drawbacks are there to steamers compared to a traditional clothing iron.

I think the biggest thing is that it's softer on the fabric. I think it's also better at getting creases out?

friday

Got my hemming figured out on with Blue Owl. Those guys are really quick, pants will be shipped out today.

What benefits and/or drawbacks are there to steamers compared to a traditional clothing iron.

I would say they are offer a simpler way to remove wrinkles from clothes, but you can can't steam a collar like you can iron one. Also for me having a compact steamer is a simpler thing to store in my limited space than having to find a spot for an iron and ironing board.

Also you can burn the hell out of yourself with steam.

Would a cardigan over a button-up shirt and some nice pants be all right for a job interview? I... don't actually own any of these things, but they seem like a good alternative over just dress pants/shirt (of which I have none, either). It's not a fancy job by any means, but I'm starting to get a little anxious about my lack of appropriate clothing for the interview than the actual interview itself, which is on Tuesday.

So, is it an appropriate look? If so, what kinds of shoes would I even need to wear so it doesn't clash? What kind of shirt should I go with? What kinds of pants?

Halp.

Budget: need-to-hit-the-corners broke, but throw ideas my way anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
Would a cardigan over a button-up shirt and some nice pants be all right for a job interview? I... don't actually own any of these things, but they seem like a good alternative over just dress pants/shirt (of which I have none, either). It's not a fancy job by any means, but I'm starting to get a little anxious about my lack of appropriate clothing for the interview than the actual interview itself, which is on Tuesday.

So, is it an appropriate look? If so, what kinds of shoes would I even need to wear so it doesn't clash? What kind of shirt should I go with? What kinds of pants?

Halp.

What's the dress code for the place you're interviewing at?

Any suit enthusiasts here?

Had a new bespoke double breast suit tailored.

The grey plastic buttons are temporary until I find them in dark brown horn.

The concave-like shoulders are known as pagoda shoulders. Minimal padding so it has a nice natural curve, the edges of which are raised through a neat roping technique.

DBs traditionally have wider lapels but I went with a more contemporary cut.

Any alteration suggestions? I still have to add in the pick-stitching on the inner lining of the jacket which is maroon silk.

vb52aeUh.jpg

looks really good, man. i love the color, probably because most of my suits are similar. although i'm pretty partial to all things hugo boss, particularly their slim fit suits and dress shirts. i've never worn a double-breasted suit, either. would probably take some time to get used to..

Lamel

Banned
I'm having such clothing struggle right now. I want a leopard print scarf ($800) and black denim jacket ($1050) to complete my SLP leopard outfit, but then I also want one of the SLP flannel shirts ($700), and one of the scarves ($450). I was gonna sell my DH boots for the similar SLP ones ($1000), but I could put that money towards the other stuff and not have taupe suede boots, or I could just not sell them at all. And then today I saw this awesome Balenciaga padded varsity jacket with the 'Join A Weird Trip' picture sewed onto the back (~$2000), but then I wouldn't be able to get any of the other stuff. I'm also selling a bunch of clothes that should give me about ~$1200, so I should just barely be able to afford one of the options. I'm leaning towards the SLP leopard print stuff just because I already have the boots and leopard print shirt, but the varsity just seems to be so much more versatile. What do I doooo

103948.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This sucks, but nothing fits me properly. I tried a Ralph Lauren bomber today that looked nice, but the small size stills looks way too big, even if the length of the sleeves and coat itself was fine.

The best fitted stuff I have ever worn were from those cheap Asian sites like Yesstyle, but the quality is no good (improperly sewn, threads, etc.). Yet every once in a while I ended up with a really good piece, some of which I'm still wearing years later and which I often got compliments for.

It's like all the big brands manufacture for fat people or models.

edit: I'm 5'9", 140lbs.

edit2: BTW any good recommendation for a winter coat? I'm more into bombers than peacoats/button-ups.

This sucks, but nothing fits me properly. I tried a Ralph Lauren bomber today that looked nice, but the small size stills looks way too big, even if the length of the sleeves and coat itself was fine.

The best fitted stuff I have ever worn were from those cheap Asian sites like Yesstyle, but the quality is no good (improperly sewn, threads, etc.). Yet every once in a while I ended up with a really good piece, some of which I'm still wearing years later and which I often got compliments for.

edit2: BTW any good recommendation for a winter coat? I'm more into bombers than peacoats/button-ups.
how much are you willing to spend?

also, you're pretty model-like bro (partial homo), and I'd think most european clothing in a 46-48 would fit you pretty spot on. too bad you aren't into button ups/peacoats, i have a nice one in a small that I have no use for anymore :(

Lamel

Banned

You need to look into slim fit clothes. Similar to your dimensions ('m 5'10" and 150, athletic build), places that fit me well are J. Crew/J crew Factory Slim (Size S, 9/10)...they have XS too which may better for you, Uniqlo Slim (Size S-M, 8/10), Express (depends on the clothes, they have extra slim fit too).

For jackets and stuff, you'll just have to experiment and find the right sizes for you, it's too variable. For your preference, how about try a hybrid bomber coat? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/inc-international-concepts-jacket-tesla-wool-bomber-jacket?ID=1105438&CategoryID=31778#fn=COAT_STYLE%3DBomber%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D13%26ruleId%3D5%26slotId%3D7

I bought one similar to this from INC around 3 years ago, still looks great and fits great (Size M).

Alucrid

Banned

You're 5 pounds heavier than I am and I have no problem fitting into S/46s.

Well, there's always old Dior Homme if you think most clothing fits too large...

ericexpo

So i'm in the market for a blazer or suit jacket, but i'm a short and skinny (5'-5", 120) i guess i can't buy anything off the rack, whats my best option?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
is michael kors too douchey? i want that gold hunger stop watch for xmas. of course no one will buy it for me, so i will be treating myself.

i normally just wear fossil watches, but i think its time to step my wrist game up.

is michael kors too douchey? i want that gold hunger stop watch for xmas. of course no one will buy it for me, so i will be treating myself.

i normally just wear fossil watches, but i think its time to step my wrist game up.

If you're gonna get a watch that isn't super expensive then Michael Kors is probably one of your better options.

I'd go grey over black too.

So i'm in the market for a blazer or suit jacket, but i'm a short and skinny (5'-5", 120) i guess i can't buy anything off the rack, whats my best option?
5'5" would mean a blazer length of, probably 27 or 26", 28" max? Maybe topman has something along these lines?

edit: their 34 has a length of about 27 from what I can find online, might be worth a look.

also, try asos, they have 32=34" chests, and I would assume the body length would scale appropriately, but I don't know.

Your options beyond specific off the rack retails will depend on how much you are willing to spend. you aren't doomed, but it will take more work..

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thanks guys for the info. I'm in Canada. I'm willing to spend whatever if it fits well and is of decent quality. My best plaid button-up ever was from Yesstyle, probably cost me 40$ at most and I still wear it regularly three years later. Another thin sweater I got from there I've been wearing for three years too, until recently since it's starting to fall apart. But that site is so random I don't bother ordering from there anymore.

I've ordered from Express before, and their stuff is often too long even in XS for whatever reason, where XS is too tight compared to S but still too long.

This is a big issue actually when ordering online, XS/S means nothing, it's all over the place. That's why I'm pretty much left with trying to find stuff in stores. Heck even in stores recently I found an XS sweater that was long enough to reach below my crotch. wtf. It was still loose at XS.

For the Macy's coat, I'm looking for a winter coat, that one wouldn't be warm enough. I currently have a Jack & Jones winter coat from 5 years ago:p Kind of tired of it.

Anyway I guess it's off to downtown next weekend and try to find something.

edit: personally I prefer gray coat. Black with blue jeans to me always looked so-so, gray goes with anything. Plus it usually looks cleaner unless you want to spend your mornings removing hair/stuff from your coat. But seriously, $1500 for this? Kind of insulting. http://ca.burberry.com/guard-cashmere-sweater-p44871381

shiny trucker could be cool but man, that is some intense shit. elasticised leather cuffs on the jacket-shirt kills it for me, so I guess #3?

also, I recently got some lauren purple label shades (PL 9762) that look a lot like the WP's for about $100:

$%28KGrHqQOKo0FGungUiJNBRwkSPR%290g~~60_57.JPG

I dig em.

Do y'all have any recommendations for funky dress socks or something like that?

All I've got are black athletic Puma and Nike socks so I'm thinking of stepping up my sock game. Express has a buy 4 for $25 sale but dunno if it's gonna go on tomorrow since the website isn't letting me do that sale.

I'm looking for something decent but not too damn expensive. I saw a website that sold one pair for $24 bucks... that's fncking ridiculous lol.

Zekes!

Do y'all have any recommendations for funky dress socks or something like that?

All I've got are black athletic Puma and Nike socks so I'm thinking of stepping up my sock game. Express has a buy 4 for $25 sale but dunno if it's gonna go on tomorrow since the website isn't letting me do that sale.

I'm looking for something decent but not too damn expensive. I saw a website that sold one pair for $24 bucks... that's fncking ridiculous lol.

Check Happy Socks and Richer-Poorer, they're both fairly inexpensive

Top Bottom