• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I lost a lot of weight recently (not in a good way), which has forced me to downsize my clothes. I'm going to need a suit for an upcoming job interview, so I decided to go out and buy one.

I'm debating between these two. I like the first one better- I like the material, the pattern, and the fit. But I've noticed that the shoulders tend to dimple a bit some times (though it usually looks okay). The second one doesn't dimple at all, though maybe I don't notice it because it's a darker suit. It's a looser (and taller) fit otherwise.

Strangely enough, the 1st suit's shoulders look much better in the photos I took (which doesn't really match what I see in the mirror).

The first suit:
1st Suit: said:
imag0982_11ttytk.jpg

imag0981_11pzu68.jpg

The second suit: (I was surprised how frumpy it turned out in pics...didn't really notice that in the mirror either)
2nd Suit said:

Any suggestions?

are you wearing a short sleeve shirt? I'm surprised you aren't showing any cuff. anyway, the first one is great, but probably not a good choice for a first-round interview (depending on your job). yeah, the second one seems a little shapeless by comparison, but if they fit the same in actuality, go with it. Just get it hemmed. the second seems more conservative, which might be better for interviews. whynotboth.jpg

giga

First one is definitely a bit much for interviews.

Make sure to get those pants lengthened if possible tho. Too short.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Thanks guys. It sounds like you're leaning towards the second one then?

I've heard I should avoid black for a job interview, which is partly why I was leaning towards the first one. Is the plaid pattern not conservative enough?
I'm interviewing for a medical residency position, if it helps.

I don't think I'll get both. I don't plan on staying at this weight, so I really just need the one suit to use for the immediate need. I used to fit snugly into a 42, but I've lost about 25 lbs over the past year and had to downsize to a 38.

Yeah, the first one is on the shorter side. I figure I can get at least 3/4 inch for both the sleeves and legs.

I am wearing a full sleeve shirt, but I think the cuff was caught up in the sleeve when I took the shot.

Anybody have any info on GAP's 1969 Japanese Selvedge jeans?

They had a 40% off sale on them today... I ended up buying them after loving the fit lol.

Also on washing, friend just told me not to wash these for now. He said to wear them 6 months then wash them after... that sounds a little insane, so is he shitting me or not? lol

They had a 40% off sale on them today... I ended up buying them after loving the fit lol.

Also on washing, friend just told me not to wash these for now. He said to wear them 6 months then wash them after... that sounds a little insane, so is he shitting me or not? lol
he's being serious. you really don't need to wash jeans very often

I can't do six months, but it's generally true that you don't need to wash denim very often.
Does anyone have experience with Carhartt jackets? I tried a few on in Sears but they looked too bulky.
very durable workwear (as in actual workwear haha), some made in the usa. You can usually go a size smaller and still have a good fit, IME.

That's standard for raw denim. At the very least, go 3 months without a wash, ideally you'll go 6 months, unless of course they start to stink and/or you spill something on them and they get substantially dirtied. The reason being is that when you wash your denim, the primary layer of indigo is stripped which would otherwise happen naturally with wear, which is how denim fades. Theoretically, the longer you hold off on washing your denim, the higher contrast your fades will be.

Granted, if you don't care how your jeans fade and just want them to hold up as long as possible, feel free to wash them every 3 months or so, but I wouldn't try and shorter than that. They're built to take a beating.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be

I hear the same, but I don't think that'd work for me. I wear mine for a few days or a week straight, probably gross. By the end they need a wash! Once I left it so long when I wore a pair my legs felt itchy.

Are you guys suggesting I should rotate jeans regularly and leave the others unwashed?

oldnick

Banned

I bought highest quality jeans, raw blue form naked and famous and wore it for 6 months dayly never washing them, I finally washed them for 1st time last week after 6 months and they came out still raw without any washed out trace out of the wash machine, I was like WTF lol

I wore them since and washed them again and a few very subtle whas out traces appeared, I think it really requires more wahses before the washed out stuff appears

Wow, so my friend wasn't shitting me lol. I washed my pair of Levi's 511's every 2 weeks... guess I should stop doing that.

I wish we canucks had 45 degrees..

it's 28 degrees here bro.. was even worse on thurs

Can y'all take the cold back up to Canada? It's 28 degrees F down here in Texas as well... like seriously, wtf lol.

BadTaste

Should I be buying clothes (shirts, polo-shirts specifically) that are slimmer than my chest by a couple inches? Tighter the better?

I'm looking at a polo-shirt and they only have it in small (35-37 inches), my chest is about 39-40 inches.. probably a bad idea to purchase it.

Should I be buying clothes (shirts, polo-shirts specifically) that are slimmer than my chest by a couple inches? Tighter the better?

I'm looking at a polo-shirt and they only have it in small (35-37 inches), my chest is about 39-40 inches.. probably a bad idea to purchase it.

Being too tight can be a bad thing.

giga

No.

friday

I blame lurking this thread for getting me to drop close to $400 on wolverine 1000 miles.

they are so good

I feel you. I just got some black Iron Rangers and they are great. I was worried about a painful break-in period but they have been comfortable since day one.

I blame lurking this thread for getting me to drop close to $400 on wolverine 1000 miles.

You made the right decision. I've had mine for a year and they look/feel incredible. Totally worth the money.

I'm planning to buy them too, and since I'll be buying online, can you guys tell me if I they run large/small? I mean... if my regular shoe size is 9.5, do I need to buy a 9.5 of the Wolverine?

By regular shoe do you mean sneaker size? If so I'd probably size down at least a half size, maybe a full size. I typically wear size 12 in sneakers but I'm an 11 in the Wolverines.

By regular shoe do you mean sneaker size? If so I'd probably size down at least a half size, maybe a full size. I typically wear size 12 in sneakers but I'm an 11 in the Wolverines.

Yeah, I meant sneakers size.

So, they run larger than usual, thanks a lot, mate. I'll have that info in mind.

it's really not that out there, it's just all high quality garments and well-fitting. I mean, we're talking about a knit henley, brown dress pants, and shined loafers, it's not like he's strutting around in a patent leather jumpsuit. trying too hard?

you need a damn good body to pull that outfit off, so yes, if one doesn't have the physical characteristics they will appear to trying too hard wearing that

rokkerkory

Scooped up some Hudson and Joe's jeans over weekend because of a huge sale. I rarely buy jeans this expensive but they fit great and price was good.

Anyone have any experience on Dries Van Noten shoe sizing? The Corner has a pair so cheap it's almost an impulse buy, but they only have whole sizes, and I'm a 10.5. Should I size up or down?

mellz

no catch, I've gotten maybe 5-6 things there and none of them seem like seconds/etc. hautelook occasionally has some good stuff too, same situation/experience.

Amazing. I really need some new clothes and there are some brands here that I've always found too expensive. I'm going to go ham now.

Top Bottom