• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Dany

Banned
i got 3 pairs of those, and wear them to work. though, i got them at 40% off plus student discount, which definitely made them worth it.

I like Banana Republic chinos. You can usually get them on sale too since they're constantly having 30% sale events. I think the last pair I got was around $40.
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check bananas republic when i go. I like gaps jeans but zipper length is longer than I'd like.

How did you get a student discount at j.crew

Dany just show them your student ID and they'll take off 15%. It's not something they advertise but it definitely exists. I always use it.

Not sure how you'd get it online though. Might be in-store only.

dralla

I got my first pair of Clarks desert boots. I don't like black leather shoes (I like brown for leather) so I went with the suede.

77j7j8N.jpg

I'm glad I sized down a little after reading the customer reviews, they do run big. They're fancier than I expected. I start a new job on Monday that's business casual, I feel like I could wear these. The way they feel surprised me too, the sole is kind of squishy? I guess. I'm glad I got them, they're nice.

I got my first pair of Clarks desert boots. I don't like black leather shoes (I like brown for leather) so I went with the suede.

I'm glad I sized down a little after reading the customer reviews, they do run big. They're fancier than I expected. I start a new job on Monday that's business casual, I feel like I could wear these. The way they feel surprised me too, the sole is kind of squishy? I guess. I'm glad I got them, they're nice.

Clarks Desert boots are great. I have a pair, so comfy and they look really nice.

Alucrid

Banned

Suede is leather

dralla

Suede is leather

Yea, but I meant leather in the traditional sense. They offer suede and leather varieties in the black. I've always thought black leather shoes were a little too formal for me I guess. I love the Beeswax variety though. I already have a pair of brown boots, but I still might pick them up in a couple of months

Also, a long time ago I was lurking this thread and someone mentioned TJ Max as a good place to get decent socks. That was great advice because I picked up a few pairs for very cheap for work.

mattoz85

I'm having issues finding decent slim fit (or just tailored look) dress pants. I tried the Docker D1's this weekend and because of my bigger thighs they didn't fit. I then tried the straight fit Dockers and they worked, but the leg opening looked huge.

Any recommendation for good brands of dress pants that fit well and don't look baggy in the leg? Preferably a tapered fit or just something that fits bigger thighs? Also I don't want to spend a ton, I'd like to be able to buy 2-3 pairs.

EDIT:
Also I want some classic white Nike's to wear with jeans this spring/summer. Suggestions? Do I go for Air Force 1's?

Not sure if you're still looking for slim fit dress pants, but I love Express's photographer pants. I've also got bigger thighs, and the fit is great. Very flattering. And the leg opening isn't big either.

Link
They're 40% off right now too

GiJoccin

Dany just show them your student ID and they'll take off 15%. It's not something they advertise but it definitely exists. I always use it.

Not sure how you'd get it online though. Might be in-store only.

I've ordered my stuff online, then taken my receipt to an in-store location, and had it price adjusted with my student discount.

is there an easier way to wash down jackets where you don't have to repull the down to fill every bubble by hand?

Dry them longer and throw a tennis ball in with the jacket. Finish it off with air fluff. I don't really use the ball since my jacket has small square cells, but I find that the down bunches up because it's not fully dry.

overcast

Great shoes. 100 dollars is a lot of money for me though, sad. Need them sooner or later.

How long do you wear your clothes for illithid? Like how long do you think that flannel will be around for? Curious.

lupin23rd

Speaking of nice blazers, I want to get a second spring / summer blazer made before it starts to get warm, and trying to decide between a couple different options. My existing blazer is a lightweight(?) navy, so I've got that one covered.

I'd wanted to do either some kind of khaki (although I hate plan khaki unless you're doing a khaki suit), a lighter shade of blue, or some kind of interesting (but not crazy) pattern, and after looking through some stuff that was on sale came out with the following two options:

tx3AM7ql.jpg

I immediately gravitated to the blue plaid on the right. Every time I think about it, I imagine a white blazer with blue and gold checks, which makes me hesitate, but when I look at it I don't see it anymore.

Both are probably going to work with various shades of khaki pants maybe the blue would work with some medium or darker shades of blue pants (navy?) as well as white for that yacht club look. The khaki check might go better with some more summery shirts like a pink, but I'm probably discounting the options for both.

Any thoughts on versatility for either of these patterns?

Side note - I asked a couple female friends for opinions and one voted for blue saying the brown looked like an "old guy color" and the other didn't like checks at all but voted for the brown or the dark grey underneath it. LOL

MegalonJJ

Banned
Dope, but for $800 I could buy myself a killer blazer, a bottle of whiskey, and a PS4 to beat Midnights at Killzone with.

Killer blazer for $800? Pfft, a bespoke blazer is a killer blazer. (Anyone who's worn one knows ;)).

$800 bucks, with post purchase alterations, and maybe it can be called decent/good.

Killer blazer for $800? Pfft, a bespoke blazer is a killer blazer. (Anyone who's worn one knows ;)).

$800 bucks, with post purchase alterations, and maybe it can be called decent/good.
The best blazer I own I got for $400 (on sale from $600). It's not bespoke but it may as well be since it fits me absolutely perfectly.

My next full suit is definitely going to be bespoke though. If only I could find someone decent in Seattle to make it for me.

dralla

Great shoes. 100 dollars is a lot of money for me though, sad. Need them sooner or later.

How long do you wear your clothes for illithid? Like how long do you think that flannel will be around for? Curious.

Mine were $73 on Amazon. I've seen them as low as $63. Of course it depends on the style and size you wear. The Beeswax in my size are $85, which are probably the nicest looking ones (IMO). I've been wearing mine to work, in a business casual environment, and they're great.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My girlfriend got me a nice Banana Republic sweater for Xmas since I don't own any sweaters (the one in the pic below) and I'm trying to figure out how to wear it best. I know you can put button ups under sweaters but I generally hate wearing that many bulky layers. Should I just go with what the guy in the pic has and throw a white t-shirt under it and wear it with jeans?

Also I'm looking for a good work bag, doesn't need to be too fancy or dressy. Suggestions? (not super expensive).

Not sure if you're still looking for slim fit dress pants, but I love Express's photographer pants. I've also got bigger thighs, and the fit is great. Very flattering. And the leg opening isn't big either.

Link
They're 40% off right now too

Thanks, I do have a few pairs of these and they seem to work well. Maybe I'll just grab more. I need a regular khaki color and black.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wearing a button-up shirt underneath a sweater is hardly bulky. I'm wearing that exact same combo as we speak and it's actually really comfortable.

But yes if it's a v-neck you can wear a t-shirt underneath, just make sure it's not a v-neck either or you won't be able to see it through the sweater.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So here is the new peacoat I got on sale from ASOS. I'm trying to decide if I like it. It fits great, but because it has a decent amount of buttons and zippers everywhere on it (and 4 front pockets) I don't think it looks quite as dressy for wearing to work.

I guess I could always keep wearing my old peacoat to work and wear this one more with jeans. Hmm. Sorry for the bad pic, best I can do at work.

I also got some nice brown leather shoes for $40 in that sale. They are great.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The jacket seems a bit big to me. The shoulders are larger than your frame and it looks bulky around your torso. Maybe it's just the photo though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The jacket seems a bit big to me. The shoulders are larger than your frame and it looks bulky around your torso. Maybe it's just the photo though.

Just the photo, the midsection fits well. I'm more concerned with the style. I think it'll work better with jeans.

overcast

I really really want a pair of dark green pants, especially for the spring/summer. My question is, what color shirt goes with it? Definitely wearing my white button up, but would most colors go well?

Sometimes I'm not great with this stuff.

Guys,

I need a canvas duffle bag.

I liked this one from Herschel. Anyone have any experience with it? Some reviews say its not very sturdy which is sad.

I would be carrying my gym clothes, shoes, and my work stuff like Macbook, headphones, notebooks, etc. Tired of carrying two bags to the gym after work.

10026-00007-OS_01_284da4aa-c5c3-4aa6-a03d-00f36059fe66_grande.jpeg

Or any other recommendations?

Guys,

I need a canvas duffle bag.

I liked this one from Herschel. Anyone have any experience with it? Some reviews say its not very sturdy which is sad.

I would be carrying my gym clothes, shoes, and my work stuff like Macbook, headphones, notebooks, etc. Tired of carrying two bags to the gym after work.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0236/6911/products/10026-00007-OS_01_284da4aa-c5c3-4aa6-a03d-00f36059fe66_grande.jpeg?v=1391228849[IMG]

Or any other recommendations?[/QUOTE]

[url]https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-bags/products/weekender-blue[/url]

Top Bottom