• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

PotatoCat

Hey guys,

Im planning on improving my spring/summer wardrobe. I usually wear just tshirts and jeans which im tired of. Im looking around and i really like the look of short sleeve button downs, especially the patterned ones/ contrasting sleeves. Im looking at Topman's site and i have a couple of shirts that i really like, buuuuuut they're too expensive. :\

Do you guys know any cheaper alternatives?

Hey guys,

Im planning on improving my spring/summer wardrobe. I usually wear just tshirts and jeans which im tired of. Im looking around and i really like the look of short sleeve button downs, especially the patterned ones/ contrasting sleeves. Im looking at Topman's site and i have a couple of shirts that i really like, buuuuuut they're too expensive. :\

Do you guys know any cheaper alternatives?

H&M maybe? I'm not too sure how abundant they are in short sleeve button downs right meow though..

well, I can't think of many $800 shirts that look like $800 shirts, if you know what I mean.

Datta%20Phuge%20wearing%20solid%20gold%20shirt-1519448

Zekes!

Guys I need your advice. I was about to order the Temple of Jawnz Minimalist Double Rider

but came across the ToJ Double Rider for sale for $650.

Do you guys think I should jump on the DR for less, or put an order in with ToJ for the MDR for $780? I like the DR, but was set on the MDR, though saving just over a hundred bucks is tempting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Those of you with Naked & Famous experience, what jeans should I try if I want to finally order some and I have big thighs, but like a bit smaller leg opening? DO they have a solid tapered fit? Also do they run big or small in waist size?

Those of you with Naked & Famous experience, what jeans should I try if I want to finally order some and I have big thighs, but like a bit smaller leg opening? DO they have a solid tapered fit? Also do they run big or small in waist size?
You should be getting the Naked & Famous Weird Guy fit. That's their tapered model. Depending on the jeans you're looking at, they'll run anywhere from 1in to 2in larger than tag size (as do most jeans).

If you're unsure about your size/fit, preferably order from a website that has measurements and/or a solid return/exchange policy.

I have three pairs of weird guys. I would not recommend them to you, me or anybody else. Sometimes I try to think of who I could give away my shitty jeans to, and then I realize: nobody.

These are on sale for $30... Any impressions? Need a few new pairs of casual pants and if these are good that would be great.

Edit: Actually I dunno, looks maybe a bit too baggy for me at the ankles...

Edit 2: Yeah, impressions seem to suck, probably just going to go to a store and try stuff on unless GAF says otherwise...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You should be getting the Naked & Famous Weird Guy fit. That's their tapered model. Depending on the jeans you're looking at, they'll run anywhere from 1in to 2in larger than tag size (as do most jeans).

If you're unsure about your size/fit, preferably order from a website that has measurements and/or a solid return/exchange policy.

Thanks. I have settled on the fact that if I don't spend some more cash on jeans I'll never find any that fit my thighs well and are comfortable.

I have three pairs of weird guys. I would not recommend them to you, me or anybody else. Sometimes I try to think of who I could give away my shitty jeans to, and then I realize: nobody.

Why is this? What size do you have? You could always send me a pair! :p

Thanks. I have settled on the fact that if I don't spend some more cash on jeans I'll never find any that fit my thighs well and are comfortable.

I have the same big thighs too and have been struggling not just with jeans but pants in general!! So lemme know if you find a good pair! :)

size 31. But I don't think you'd want mine: grease stains on cuffs; dyed in silly novelty colors, not indigo; plus I'm 6'4" and they're shaped like my legs.

The real reason I don't care for them is my ass and thighs have muscled up, and also I think my idea of what jeans should look like has changed in the past 4 years since buying them.

I still wouldn't buy a new pair in a larger size because the rise is very low, and the cut of the leg just looks unappealing to me now.

@luckyboy I have pairs of apc, samurai, chimala, all of which I still occasionally wear, also bought when my legs were slimmer. APC I find to be the most wearable/versatile.

size 31. But I don't think you'd want mine: grease stains on cuffs; dyed in silly novelty colors, not indigo; plus I'm 6'4" and they're shaped like my legs.

The real reason I don't care for them is my ass and thighs have muscled up, and also I think my idea of what jeans should look like has changed in the past 4 years since buying them.

I still wouldn't buy a new pair in a larger size because the rise is very low, and the cut of the leg just looks unappealing to me now.

@luckyboy I have pairs of apc, samurai, chimala, all of which I still occasionally wear, also bought when my legs were slimmer. APC I find to be the most wearable/versatile.
Fair enough. Sounds more like it's less about the quality of Naked & Famous and more that their fits just aren't inline with your preferences anymore.

I still think that, at the price, they're probably the best pair of jeans on the market for people new to raw denim. There's no reason to put someone into Samurai or things of similar quality/level right off the bat. Naked & Famous or Unbranded are probably the two best options for what DC is looking for.

Antagon

N&F runs pretty damn tight in thigh area and I've tried slim guy, skinny guy, weird guy.

My weird guys are actually pretty roomy in the thigh area, unlike most jeans I try on. I wouldn't recommend them on my experience though, as I really dislike the fabric they used on mine (the way it fades looks terrible) and the finish doesn't seem all that great.

Dany

Banned
ZMaOKA3l.jpg

Great fit, snug all around, and I like the colors I bought but I don't have a lot to go with dark red, dark orange, dark grey.

Lands end 608 slim canvas 30x32

bob page

Deal alert:

Orient Monterey collection watches are $165 shipped (almost 50% off) until Feb. 9th (code: bythebay). Struggling to decide on which one to grab...

http://orientwatchusa.com/tt0v004w
http://orientwatchusa.com/tt0v003b

Also, what do you guys think of parkas w/ fur hoods? I just got Uniqlo's down version for $80 (from $200) and it's a nice trim fit + incredibly warm. I'm not used to wearing coats like this though so not sure if it's too femanine:

003hxa.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got my Express stuff in. Out of all the work pants I've tried their Photographer fit seems to fit by far the best, especially with my big thighs. A comfy fit in the thigh and a bit smaller leg opening. I'll have to order some more when another sale pops up. They go great with my new brown ASOS shoes I got for $40 on sale.

Debating what to do on the jeans thing. I see pros and cons of N&F jeans. I just want a pair of jeans that fits my thighs, is comfortable, and doesn't have a huge leg opening. I really don't care if they are super fancy.

Picked up a very nice cantarelli suit from yoox (wool/mohair). Fit is pretty much what I expected, but the thing is covered in pick stitching.... Even the breast pocket has some lol. Dunno if such indulgence turns me off or impresses me haha.

Zekes!

Unless they're loafers, avoid.

Even then, very, very few loafers look good. Get some nice wing tips and cap toes before moving on to loafers and double monks (which will actually be my next purchase) .

A clean pair of penny loafers is one of the purchases that has always sat in the back of my mind

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any links to a good shoe care guide? I have a pair of walnut AE Strands and a burgundy J&M Carlock Double Monk Strap and I want to make sure they're well protected before wearing them out. Do I need to use shoe cream or polish? And how often do I need to apply these?

Anyone know a good cheaper alternative to these?

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_us/stanley-287

I really like them, but they're a bit over my price range, at least for now. I love the sturdy sole.

Alden has chunky soles like that but they're even more expensive. J. crew has a new line of shoes in a similar style :https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~09494/09494.jsp.

You need to look for a stacked sole with a 360 degrees welt: probably Goodyear or Blake.

Top Bottom