• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

NinjaBoiX

Because it's made in the US with selvedge denim and lambskin suede.
Fair enough. As I say, I'm just not into fashion enough to be willing to pay extra for it being manufactured in a particular country out of fancy fabric. It's not like the ones I buy for like £10 fall to bits after a few weeks. I've had one or two for over a year and they still look pretty much good as new. And caps being what they are kind of have a finite lifespan, once you wash them they're pretty much knackered.

I suppose you could dry clean them, but that would only make financial sense if you hadn't spent less on the cap than it would cost to clean it!

Fury Sense

J7ucFfL.png
YQFq5qQ.png
ZZJQTTw.png
bu51Bmt.png
FnrEaiO.png
XToMRPm.png
p6ajtmy.png
bPnceov.png
snLWqiZ.png
6Nqmrib.png

Hey GAF, looking for some jacket advice.

Need something that can be worn in both ~professional and casual company. Not quite a blazer but not a Northface either. Right now I just have 2 hoodies and 2 winter coats, so I need something between. Reposted my favorites from the thread (excluding a few I thought would be too distinctive for a go-to jacket). Any of these would be upgrades for me, but I need to be cost effective. Don't really know what's "appropriate" either. Ideas?

There will be shrinkage when it comes to cotton.
How bad usually? Get one size higher or? They fit perfectly now and next size up is baggy so should I get the baggy or they don't shrink that much? I'm just afraid if I get baggy it won't shrink enough but I don't want the ones that fit nice now and then have them no longer fit.

I've washed chinos (not br) and only noticed maybe a 1/2 inch loss in the hem length. I'd assume that's pretty standard, especially if the care labels says cold washing is ok. if you're concerned try a delicate cycle to reduce fiber twist, and hang dry inside out.

Hey GAF, looking for some jacket advice.

Need something that can be worn in both ~professional and casual company. Not quite a blazer but not a Northface either. Right now I just have 2 hoodies and 2 winter coats, so I need something between. Reposted my favorites from the thread (excluding a few I thought would be too distinctive for a go-to jacket). Any of these would be upgrades for me, but I need to be cost effective. Don't really know what's "appropriate" either. Ideas?
my brain is kinda fuzzin on me right now but for something work-oriented I'd go with a button front rather than zips depending on how 'dressy' you want to look, and less is more.

something like this, I'd think:

COMU-MO72_V1.jpg

comune, knowles peacoat

granted this is a winter jacket but the elements all seem well placed; could work as well with a tee and jeans as it would a shirt or knit sweater with chinos or slacks.

I've washed chinos (not br) and only noticed maybe a 1/2 inch loss in the hem length. I'd assume that's pretty standard, especially if the care labels says cold washing is ok. if you're concerned try a delicate cycle to reduce fiber twist, and hang dry inside out.
Alright, that's what the person at the store said pretty much. If you cold wash he hasn't really heard anything about shrinking.

I liked the uniqlo chinos but I hate the ugly coin pocket or whatever they have on the front of it. I think that might be a deal breaker.

Anyone know of any summer shirt places other than Asos? I like some of the shirts but they all say regular fit which worries me a little
y.m.c. usually has some cool stuff. a bit on the $ side. maybe check shopacrimony or opening ceremony. they sometimes have lower priced brands alongside the $$$ ones.

overcast

Anyone know of any summer shirt places other than Asos? I like some of the shirts but they all say regular fit which worries me a little
Hmmm might post a pic later to show, but I think the short sleeved shirts in particular have been great for me.

I'm still looking for under 70 dollar dark green chino/pants.

Hmmm might post a pic later to show, but I think the short sleeved shirts in particular have been great for me.

I'm still looking for under 70 dollar dark green chino/pants.
don't know how dark you want to go or what size you are (guessing 32?), but yoox has some stuff in that area

http://www.yoox.com/us/36438675WJ/i...ts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=36438675WJ&sizeId=3

http://www.yoox.com/us/36421951JO/i...ts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=36421951JO&sizeId=6

http://www.yoox.com/us/36463462BD/i...sts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=36463462BD&sizeId=

etc

Midas

Wow... :eek: How did you manage to find it?!

Lots of e-mails. I'm glad I took the time.

Where did you get this? I want it bad.

Paris. But it was the last one. I really don't understand how the fashion industry works. Why make something in such a limited qty when there's demand for more? This one seems to be extremely limited. Well, at least I won't run into someone in the streets wearing the same garment.

zeopower6

Why make something in such a limited qty when there's demand for more? This one seems to be extremely limited. Well, at least I won't run into someone in the streets wearing the same garment.

Maybe they only made a few because stockists only ordered a few compared to a lot of the other items of the collection? :/ Or they may have just misread demand?

And great that you got it! Will you be getting the shorts from the collection too?

Midas

Maybe they only made a few because stockists only ordered a few compared to a lot of the other items of the collection? :/ Or they may have just misread demand?

And great that you got it! Will you be getting the shorts from the collection too?

Yeah, might be something like that.

I would love to get them, but the price is a bit steep. Even to someone like me who paid 950 EUR for this jacket. I've got to stop myself sometimes... 1075 EUR for a pair of shorts? :(

Alucrid

Banned
Here's why

A lot of us are clothing nerds too. We like garments. Before I came here, I was shopping around for your stuff and I wasn't necessarily impressed with the buys. How do you feel about the different buys you see for your brand? You have stellar pieces, and your line is carried all over the place, but everywhere I turn I just see the dip-dyes and the jeans. I mean they're great pieces but the real strong stuff is missing. I saw that Barneys picked up the neoprene vest though, and that's wild. Have you noticed a change over the years in the types of buys as well?

It's always been like that. I complain about it a lot and stuff though. [laughs] For example at Isetan in Tokyo, I'm at like the coolest store, and I go and look at the Lanvin collection and it's literally like 25 shirts, some of them with the grosgrain collar, then there's five blazers, one leather jacket, and one show coat. And it sucks. But it's the reality of the consumer. Somehow you want to blame the store, but it's not the store. They're buying what the people are buying in the store. That's just the reality.

But you guys. You're a smidgen of a percentage of the actual reality. You guys are the ones that are into it. We're like the nerds. The ones that want to see those cool pieces that you see on the runway. But the reality of the business is that 95% of people buy the dip-dye sweatshirts, and they buy the shirts, and the denim, and that's it. And it's… painful.

Most stores will buy the jeans and the shirts, and they'll pick up one or two of the other pieces. But say there are three deliveries - if it's in the last delivery, and the first two deliveries you see jeans and sweatshirt. Then something will come in, like one exciting piece. I wish it was different, of course. I've been doing it for long enough and you can try to push the stores, but then if you push the store to buy something and it doesn't sell, what's the point? They're unhappy, we're unhappy, it sucks.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/341840/...-2-cloak-dip-dye-sweaters-and-polaroids/0_100

i remember reading in a robert geller interview where he said something similar too with regards to having a balance between what actually sells and the crazier, more interesting pieces

Laekon

Any recommendations on where to start looking for a blazer or sport coat the fits someone with big shoulders/chest? I'm starting to look for a new job and the industry I'm in, cycling and outdoor sports, is very casual and a suit is to much for interviews. I looked at J Crew yesterday and didn't think the thin lapels of the Ludlow pieces work with my build.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hate to be the guy who asks "does anyone know what this celebrity is wearing", but ... does anyone know what jacket Frank Ocean is wearing in this pic?

fyi, through ebates yoox is offering 9% (usually 3-4%) cash back and yoox in general is doing free shipping. I figured now was a good time to buy an adam kimmel bomber at $1000 off retail heh. god bless yoox for posting the jacket inside out.

the wooyoungmi x linda farrow sunglasses from gilt arrived today, the delivery date estimated was between 4th and 11th April so pleasantly surprised to get them this quick :)

Top Bottom