• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggies

Gold Member
Just a guess. Maybe he does have a GF. I have been rejecting a number of females myself lately, in order to play Elden Ring.
Good choice!
And for us, your GAFamily, right?

High Five Way To Go GIF by SmileDirectClub

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Apart from the awful stuttering and major frame rate issues, amiryte?
Honestly, I don't even mind. The gameplay, world, and exploration is just phenomenal. Breath of the Wild is probably my favorite game for exploration & world. Elden Ring might take the cake when all is done.

I got home from a brutal day at work last night after 6. Was too tired to enjoy it but I clocked a few hours. Today I’m at 9 hours and counting. Didn’t brush my teeth or shower yet.
17.5 hours in. Only stopping due to social obligations tonight. Glad I took Friday off. Really looking forward to diving back in tomorrow. I'm hooked.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
People keep saying Elden Ring is more accessible. Is it really? Or would it just piss a scrub like me off?

Thaedolus

Welp, went to a CPA to do my taxes today just to make sure I didn’t fuck anything up and and up owing 5,200 again this year. Thankfully looks like that was sort of a fluke, we came up short but nothing the 5,000 more from having a kid could cover, netted 2,000 back.

So that’s fun. I’m gonna buy Eldin Ring in the morning

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
People keep saying Elden Ring is more accessible. Is it really? Or would it just piss a scrub like me off?
Easier for me. Being able to go focus on other things and come back is a game changer. Summons and other combat mechanics also help a great deal. I had upgraded to a +6 drink flask before the first major boss fight.

Bosses and enemies are still challenging but more bite sized. Short dungeons are a great way to keep things fresh. Longer dungeons are still there too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Welp, went to a CPA to do my taxes today just to make sure I didn’t fuck anything up and and up owing 5,200 again this year. Thankfully looks like that was sort of a fluke, we came up short but nothing the 5,000 more from having a kid could cover, netted 2,000 back.

So that’s fun. I’m gonna buy Eldin Ring in the morning
If one kid can garner that much, imagine what 47 kids could do.

You know what you must do.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Nope.

Yeah, if you can’t get past a hurdle, you may go elsewhere. Just to find another hurdle you can’t get past.
The game is fucking brutal. Whoever says differently is lying, AND they are clearly Souls veterans.
Like me. Only, I suck at Souls.
I’ve only beaten DS1 and this seems much easier to me. There’s so much to do and see. Escaping combat is viable. Stealth is viable. Weapon upgrades are much easier to come by. If you explore, it’s not so tough. Summons make boss fights relatively manageable.

haxan7

Banned
I’ve only beaten DS1 and this seems much easier to me. There’s so much to do and see. Escaping combat is viable. Stealth is viable. Weapon upgrades are much easier to come by. If you explore, it’s not so tough. Summons make boss fights relatively manageable.
To be fair I think I strayed far from the normal path the game wants you to take. I was stuck on a boss last night and I was only doing tiny chunks of damage. Don't want to get into spoiler territory tho.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I want to love Souls games. I simply don't have the patience for them. I don't have time to get "git gud" The atmosphere and enemy designs are always top-notch but I simply can't get on with the combat. If these games would have come along in my 20s it would have been different perhaps. Oh well. I'll go back to my "baby games" now lol.

Star-Lord

I found out today that in 1971, the mint office produced and distributed 1p and 2p coins that, instead of stating the denomination of said coin, simply said ‘NEW PENCE’ in error. These coins were quickly recalled and devalued, meaning they’re very, very rare.

A quick glance on eBay shows one ‘new pence’ coin going for between £500-£1000. Some are going for as much as £10,000.

Guess who found a ‘new pence’ coin amongst all their change?

haxan7

Banned
I want to love Souls games. I simply don't have the patience for them. I don't have time to get "git gud" The atmosphere and enemy designs are always top-notch but I simply can't get on with the combat. If these games would have come along in my 20s it would have been different perhaps. Oh well. I'll go back to my "baby games" now lol.
That's what happened to me with Sekiro. I wanted to get into it but I didn't have the patience to get good at the heavily altered combat. Maybe one of these days.

I initially got into them because Bloodborne was love at first sight. That was my first Souls. I was so in love with Bloodborne that the challenge was welcome. I even had dreams about it, before I had played any Souls games, and the combat in my dreams was close to what it ended up being in reality.

haxan7

Banned
I found out today that in 1971, the mint office produced and distributed 1p and 2p coins that, instead of stating the denomination of said coin, simply said ‘NEW PENCE’ in error. These coins were quickly recalled and devalued, meaning they’re very, very rare.

A quick glance on eBay shows one ‘new pence’ coin going for between £500-£1000. Some are going for as much as £10,000.

Guess who found a ‘new pence’ coin amongst all their change?
Awesome. Slip that bad boy up your ass, give it a rinse, and take it into a pawn shop to get some cash.

Peggies

Gold Member
Me Too Samesies GIF

I just watch my husband play and enjoy the monsters. I like games like Assassin's Creed where you have one button for "do awesome shit" and another one for "do some other awesome shit".

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Honestly, they just require more lateral thinking than your typical RPG. You will die and should expect as much in these games. If you get frustrated easily, then it's probably not for you. The important thing is to understand what lead to your death. Did you run into a new area trying to escape an enemy, only to be surrounded by more foes? Did you try to drink your Estus flask while in close quarters with a strong enemy? Etc. Once you figure out the things that cause you to die, you need to think laterally to avoid those situations/conditions. It's just a framework you need to work within, like any other game. From just does it in a way that's not condescending to the player for the sake of higher completion rates. Much more rewarding that way.

Bosses can be mitigated by summoning helpful NPCs or other players. There is not much that prevents you from doing this in these games. The only reason not to is for bragging rights. Set aside your ego on a tough boss and summon. I went in on DS1 wanting to be 100% solo. About 1/3 into it, I had to summon or give up. On my second playthrough, I 100% solo'd it. Some times you just need to get through it and come back once you have a better idea of the game.

Elden Ring especially is easier once you understand the flow of combat. There is so much out there to make your life easy in the game--ashes of war, physick flask, summoning, exploring the world prior to boss fights (seriously, there is a ton of shit to explore).

DS1 is difficult until you finally learn how to parry. Parrying makes that game an absolute cakewalk.

I still need to play through 2 & 3. I'd like to eventually play Demon's Souls as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom