• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal gear 4 + Kojimas new game at Sonys press conference"Source:gamesradar"

EekTheKat

Well assuming they want to go the James Bond formula with the MGS games, I'm guessing it won't be a direct sequel to any previous metal gear games but instead it'll be a totally new start storywise (featuring familiar characters + so forth), with maybe some mild references + tie ins to previous games.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if it does turn out to be a direct sequel to SOL, as Snake Eater really did put closure to the Solid trilogy for me.

duckroll

rusty said:
You think it would be that big of a blow to the 360? I just don't see it as being a mainstream game. I would think that some great Madden footage for 360 would easily overcome the MGS4 trailer for all the 'joe six packs' out ther that would be considering a 360.

I suppose it could be a device for determining the graphical divide from 360 to PS3...but again, do the casuals and the Madden-heads really care? I'm not so sure.

Dude, this is E3. E3 isn't about joe six packs, E3 is about industry, gamers and technical power. If MGS4 appears and blows everyone away, it'll be a HUGE blow to the 360 as far as media coverage, press comments and awareness is concerned.

PhatSaqs

Banned
rusty said:
I love MGS as much as the rest of you (which means I'm giddy to see the MGS4) but some of you really over-estimate the franchise. You think it would be that big of a blow to the 360? I just don't see it as being a mainstream game. I would think that some great Madden footage for 360 would easily overcome the MGS4 trailer for all the 'joe six packs' out ther that would be considering a 360.

I suppose it could be a device for determining the graphical divide from 360 to PS3...but again, do the casuals and the Madden-heads really care? I'm not so sure.
MGS has much more influence worldwide. Plus it's exclusive. But Madden 360 will be the talk of casuals in the US once they see it in motion (granted it looks beyond whats out there now).

That said, I dont think this'll be a repeat of what MGS 2 did for the PS2.

teepo

rusty said:
I love MGS as much as the rest of you (which means I'm giddy to see the MGS4) but some of you really over-estimate the franchise. You think it would be that big of a blow to the 360? I just don't see it as being a mainstream game. I would think that some great Madden footage for 360 would easily overcome the MGS4 trailer for all the 'joe six packs' out ther that would be considering a 360.

the mgs series is a system seller and is a well established franchise WORLDWIDE.

Laurent

rusty said:
Exactly... I think there is a difference between what market Microsoft is aiming (intentionnally or not) and what market Sony is aiming. Sports games are a key element here IMO...

Duckroll said:
Dude, this is E3. E3 isn't about joe six packs, E3 is about industry, gamers and technical power. If MGS4 appears and blows everyone away, it'll be a HUGE blow to the 360 as far as media coverage, press comments and awareness is concerned.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, I just think that wth the exponential growth of gaming, E3 media and presss comments don't have the same effect as they did back when MGS2 was unveiled. Not that that's a good thing...I wonder how many people buying 360s will be influenced by E3 or even know what E3 is, and how many were influenced by the insipid MTV debut.

PhatSaqs said:
That said, I dont think this'll be a repeat of what MGS 2 did for the PS2.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I just thing it's a different scenario this time around. Still, if MGS4 was so amazing that it overwhelmingly won best-of-E3, I'd definitely be excited.

The problem is that MGS will be getting more and more mainstream after Kojima step-off. This is Konami policy and we can't do anything about it. Sequels, money, sequels, money... MGS4, MGS5, Metal Gear Ac!d 2 anyone?

jimbo

Banned
Should look amazing, but I want to see something different on the PS3 this time around. I hope MGS4 isn't their main attraction and it's more like the icing on the cake. This E3 will be the best ever.

jimbo said:
Should look amazing, but I want to see something different on the PS3 this time around. I hope MGS4 isn't their main attraction and it's more like the icing on the cake. This E3 will be the best ever.

As far as original PS3 gaming goes, I want to see Insomniac's FPS.

Belfast

EekTheKat said:
Well assuming they want to go the James Bond formula with the MGS games, I'm guessing it won't be a direct sequel to any previous metal gear games but instead it'll be a totally new start storywise (featuring familiar characters + so forth), with maybe some mild references + tie ins to previous games.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if it does turn out to be a direct sequel to SOL, as Snake Eater really did put closure to the Solid trilogy for me.

Yeah, but its not over yet. What Ocelot says at the end of MGS2 still needs to be resolved.

duckroll

Pedigree Chum said:
As far as original PS3 gaming goes, I want to see Insomniac's FPS.

Is that Bioshock or whatever the title was? I remember it being announced then dropping off the map completely...

So it's for real then Nervous Hamster, set in stone - 100% certain?

burns5qv.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I am not looking forward to MGS4 at all (I'm just not a fan of the Solid games) but I will gladly take one for the team so to speak and hype this game to high heaven.

GO MGS4!!!
MGS4 = GOTS!!!

Top Bottom