• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinewood

Indeed! But Calling to The Night still is my favorite vocal track from MGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkgn3QUA2w

Is the video from portable ops, is that the one with Frank Jaeger? I remember a friend playing a MGS game on his psp in high school and thought it was Peace Walker (and I have been anticipating Gray Forx to appear in my playthrough). I guess I was wrong. Now I want to play that too.

Also got to the part where I have to fight Peace Walker before it
destroys Cuba
. Just had the gameplay moment with the song playing.

Is it plausible Coldman is Skullface in TPP?

Is the video from portable ops, is that the one with Frank Jaeger? I remember a friend playing a MGS game on his psp in high school and thought it was Peace Walker (and I have been anticipating Gray Forx to appear in my playthrough). I guess I was wrong. Now I want to play that too.

Yep, it's from Portable Ops. Underrated game but nothing compared to Peace Walker.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm working on getting back into the series. I played the first 2 on NES and loved MGS1 on PS1. I only played a little of MGS2 when it came out and played no later games.

I picked up the HD collection for Vita and I'm playing through MGS2 currently. I finished up the tanker section and a little of the Raiden section last night.

Plan on playing MGS3 next, then get around to MGS4 on PS Now (only have a PS4 and Vita) and Ground Zeroes before MGS5 is out.

I'm working on getting back into the series. I played the first 2 on NES and loved MGS1 on PS1. I only played a little of MGS2 when it came out and played no later games.

I picked up the HD collection for Vita and I'm playing through MGS2 currently. I finished up the tanker section and a little of the Raiden section last night.

Plan on playing MGS3 next, then get around to MGS4 on PS Now (only have a PS4 and Vita) and Ground Zeroes before MGS5 is out.

Don't forget to pick up Peace Walker! You can get the PSP version for your Vita. It's available in the european store, I'm not sure about the US store.

Don't skip Peace Walker. If anything, PW > MGS4 in terms of importance.

Don't forget to pick up Peace Walker! You can get the PSP version for your Vita. It's available in the european store, I'm not sure about the US store.

it's in the US store, unlike PO :(

unfortunately, MGS4 was removed from PSNow last I checked. my hope is that the removal was done in lieu of a PS4 port. but i realize that's wishful thinking

I bought a Vita TV.

I 'could' play Peace Walker on it.

nFSebim.gif%3F1

Pinewood

As someone who is playing Peace Walker right now, DO IT, it is good.

Does Snake use Galvez' hand in TPP or does he get a new one?

I bought a Vita TV.

I 'could' play Peace Walker on it.

A word of advice. Grind for A/S ranked POW's/Soldiers. It will make your life so much easier. Also, why the fuck are you playing the vita version when you have the HD version around?

Don't expect anything from this game, it's a good game but as an MGS game? Meh, I like it but it relies too much on grinding.

EDIT: Saw your reason.

A word of advice. Grind for A/S ranked POW's/Soldiers. It will make your life so much easier. Also, why the fuck are you playing the vita version when you have the HD version around?

Don't expect anything from this game, it's a good game but as an MGS game? Meh, I like it but it relies too much on grinding.

EDIT: Saw your reason.

I loved walking around malls and office areas recruiting boat-loads of soldiers via wi-fi scanning.

Explanation : part of PW's features was that it took advantage of the wi-fi chip on the PSP ( and Vita, too, obviously ) to 'scan' for wi-fi spots, and each unique scan resulted in recruitment of a random soldier to your Mother Base.

I loved walking around malls and office areas recruiting boat-loads of soldiers via wi-fi scanning.

Yeah, can't do that shit on the console version which is where I first played it when it released in HD. Fucking pissed me off because the bosses were a pain in the ass if you don't level your motherbase enough so you could make high leveled weapons which deal more damage. After grinding though, 30+ minute bosses turned into 5 minutes which is immensely satisfying but it took me a while to "get" the game I guess.

EDIT: I think you could trade soldiers with other players though on the console version if I'm not mistaken.

Explanation : part of PW's features was that it took advantage of the wi-fi chip on the PSP ( and Vita, too, obviously ) to 'scan' for wi-fi spots, and each unique scan resulted in recruitment of a random soldier to your Mother Base.

i didn't even know this was a thing. does it still work on vita?

Don't expect anything from this game, it's a good game but as an MGS game? Meh, I like it but it relies too much on grinding..

Peace Walker is my favourite MGS game ever because it's the game that really struck me in terms of appealing to my OCD. It's the first, and perhaps only game that I got an S-rank for practically everything.

The grind was addictive, and I replayed all the extra-ops that had the best ranking/soldier fulton sweep so many times that it was practically muscle-memory.

Extra-Ops 83 S-Rank. The bane of my existence. That which turned my mind to steel and I became the master of gas grenades of all things fulton.

i didn't even know this was a thing. does it still work on vita?

Don't remember. (sold my OG Phat Vita long time ago due to financial reasons, now waiting to buy a Slim sometime this year)

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Peace Walker is like Monster Hunter in that the grind is extremely addicting. I've played like 20 hours in the last 4 days, now only need to do Extra Ops 83 and 98 to finally unlock the Fulton Launcher so I can S- Rank vehicles easily. Also need to grind more soldiers

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
good news sn4ke, they are releasing a play arts ocelot figure

DkZ4ON4.jpg

lMIkfpJ.jpg

HOLY SHIT WAAAAAAT SOLD! I HAVE EVERY SINGLE MGS MERCHANDISE FIGURE AND I WILL GET THIS ONE FOR GODDAMN SURE TOO THANKS CHINNER FOR BRINGING THE WORLD FIRST GROUND BREAKING NEWS YOU ARE THE BEST MY FRIEND!!!

AGAIN, I WILL BUY THIS BECAUSE I BOUGHT EVERY OTHER METAL GEAR FIGURE AND STATUE.

Been a while since I've popped in here, but a bunch of MGS threads got me jonzing for the series again.

My question for y'all:

I've only ever beaten the series on normal difficulty. Next go round should I up it to hard, or extreme, or euro extreme?

Euro extreme sounds pretty appealing because whenever I got spotted in the games I would have to go through the tedium of letting the guards kill me so I could restart and stealth my way through, but idk if it will be too hard besides that if I haven't gotten practice with more aware guards on hard or something.

I find PlayArts to be a hit or miss kind of thing, hopefully it's a hit with this figure. I still don't own a single MGS related figurine but I'll be getting on aboard soon in the next month or so.

Pinewood

Played MGS 3 through with hard (1st playthrough) and I got to say some bosses were very difficult.

Ok, just The Fury was difficult. But I beat all the bosses with sleeping darts, so that might be the reason...

Been a while since I've popped in here, but a bunch of MGS threads got me jonzing for the series again.

My question for y'all:

I've only ever beaten the series on normal difficulty. Next go round should I up it to hard, or extreme, or euro extreme?

Euro extreme sounds pretty appealing because whenever I got spotted in the games I would have to go through the tedium of letting the guards kill me so I could restart and stealth my way through, but idk if it will be too hard besides that if I haven't gotten practice with more aware guards on hard or something.

mgs2 is pretty frustrating on euro extreme in two areas. in the big shell initially when you have no radar and no tranq gun, and the ray battle at the end. i didn't find anything close to as difficult in mgs1 or 3. never beat 4 on that difficulty though

mgs2 is pretty frustrating on euro extreme in two areas. in the big shell initially when you have no radar and no tranq gun, and the ray battle at the end. i didn't find anything close to as difficult in mgs1 or 3. never beat 4 on that difficulty though

Yeah, I heard 2 was a bitch on that difficulty. Can't you not get hit by the harrier even once?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

My question for y'all:

You can set the game to automatically be over in MGS2 on European Extreme when you're spotted. In MGS3, European Extreme is automatically configured for that. I think it'll be a fun but heavy challenge for you, especially MGS2. You will learn the mechanics. MGS3 on European Extreme is not as unforgiving but still has some hard parts.

Yeah, I heard 2 was a bitch on that difficulty. Can't you not get hit by the harrier even once?

You can survive one hit from the machine gun. Just one and you must be at full health beforehand. I would worry more about Olga, Fatman, or the Tengus. Not to mention the RAYs (which aren't that hard but demand your endurance)

JayEH

You need the Mosin Nagant in order to beat the Fury non lethally. His pattern is toughest to master since it's so variable. You really need to beat him quickly before he starts flaming up the whole place.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I am still stuck on The Pain on EE, he's really hard.

also that feel when you get rid of all the soldiers in a vehicle mission only to realize you forgot to equip something to kill the commander quickly :(

Chinner

Banned
HOLY SHIT WAAAAAAT SOLD! I HAVE EVERY SINGLE MGS MERCHANDISE FIGURE AND I WILL GET THIS ONE FOR GODDAMN SURE TOO THANKS CHINNER FOR BRINGING THE WORLD FIRST GROUND BREAKING NEWS YOU ARE THE BEST MY FRIEND!!!

AGAIN, I WILL BUY THIS BECAUSE I BOUGHT EVERY OTHER METAL GEAR FIGURE AND STATUE.

YgfRopu.gif

My question for y'all:

Go hard.

Pinewood

Hey, Troy Baker is in Peace Walker.

I'm looking at the credits now, I guess I need to start hammering the special ops to unlock chapter 5?

JayEH

I'm looking at the credits now, I guess I need to start hammering the special ops to unlock chapter 5?

I believe you have to fully build Zeke and do the dumb Zadonarv missions. There's guides online on how to get the secret ending maybe look those up since I cant exactly remember the conditions to get it.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, keep doing Extra Ops until you unlock a Zadornov search mission, do that, then keep repeating it until you do all 6. You should also build ZEKE. When you finish both of those, the true ending unlocks.

You can build ZEKE by getting parts from the AI weapons. If you hit a part of the weapon, you'll probably not get it after. So, try and only hit the AI pod. You'll need generic parts, which you can get from any AI weapons, and a Railgun, which you can get from Chrysalis.

Pinewood

Yeah, keep doing Extra Ops until you unlock a Zadornov search mission, do that, then keep repeating it until you do all 6. You should also build ZEKE. When you finish both of those, the true ending unlocks.

You can build ZEKE by getting parts from the AI weapons. If you hit a part of the weapon, you'll probably not get it after. So, try and only hit the AI pod. You'll need generic parts, which you can get from any AI weapons, and a Railgun, which you can get from Chrysalis.

Oh so thats how it works. I understood that I HAVE to hit the parts I want. Thanks for clearing that up.

How do access the CO-OPS message menu? It said something about a new message there, but I dont know how to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom