• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Wat? um no i don't think i did? Where did you say that?

That was a long time ago, here goes ༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116433665&postcount=3558
we still haven't find out what those damn lines are.
2014-06-1400_37_30-memflxv.png
Åesop;116433665 said:
Reminds me of DNA sequences. Noticed how it always appears when someone enables/ starts interacting with some kind of electronic device. The beginning of genome soldiers and SOP ?

image031.jpg

1841_03.jpg

The last time kojima posted a twitter pic of his pro-tools editing keyboard we got the 2014 e3 trailer. how many weeks/months did we have to wait before getting something last time?

Batzi

Banned
The last time kojima posted a twitter pic of his pro-tools editing keyboard we got the 2014 e3 trailer. how many weeks/months did we have to wait before getting something last time?

2 months because it only made sense to show it at the biggest gaming event of the year, it doesn't mean it's always 2 months. Putting together a 5 mins trailer shouldn't take 2 months if all footage is already available.

Given the trends of past releases and inferences made by most folks on here, and given that GDC is in March, I'm starting to see June as a very real possibility. and I don't like it. none.

Dammit, I'm gonna overdose on melatonin I just know it. Fuck this half a year bullshit. This baby needs to come outta the Koji-vag. Pronto.

Holy shit, I love how well this runs on my new 980.

I AM SO FUCKING READY FOR TPP.

GIVE IT TO ME KOJIMA.

I really hope it's not a June release. :( CES is coming up so maybe that's when the trailer comes out with the release date. :p

That is me indeed. It's Real Pic January. That's a picture of me and my daughter from a couple years ago. It's a long story, but my ex is a cheating whore. When I found out and confronted her, she filed false charges on me, I got locked up, and she left the state with another guy and my daughter. I'm flying to see her next month. It'll have been close to a year since I've seen her.

Holy fucking shit, that's fucking terrible.

I'm sorry man, Internet hug?

Holy shit, I love how well this runs on my new 980.

I AM SO FUCKING READY FOR TPP.

GIVE IT TO ME KOJIMA.

I really hope it's not a June release. :( CES is coming up so maybe that's when the trailer comes out with the release date. :p

That's the card I'm upgrading to as well! Glad to hear!

That's the card I'm upgrading to as well! Glad to hear!

Solid 60FPS, my 580 struggled with (mostly Maximum settings with shadows on high)mixed settings and there were dips...also the initial GZ cutscene would hitch and pause after Skullface and his goons go up and through Camp Omega to the helicopters, and a huge freeze right as you get that awesome transition of Big Boss into gameplay.

I would love to have TPP and Bloodborne in the same month.

Solid 60FPS, my 580 struggled with (mostly Maximum settings with shadows on high)mixed settings and there were dips...also the initial GZ cutscene would hitch and pause after Skullface and his goons go up and through Camp Omega to the helicopters, and a huge freeze right as you get that awesome transition of Big Boss into gameplay.

Ah, yeah, I know exactly what you mean! My HD 7970 gives me wildly inconsistent results. Like, I literally just do not understand it - the game doesn't run at 60fps for me in any mission, however, the performance is much better during the night missions than it is during the day. Makes no sense, especially with the rain pouring down in the main mission. (Oh, not to mention that it does this regardless of what my settings are. Whether it be Low or Extra High, I have these sorts of issues.) Either way, I should have a GTX 980 by the time The Phantom Pain arrives; MGS is the only single game that ever pushes me into acquiring new hardware, never fails.

Ah, yeah, I know exactly what you mean! My HD 7970 gives me wildly inconsistent results. Like, I literally just do not understand it - the game doesn't run at 60fps for me in any mission, however, the performance is much better during the night missions than it is during the day. Makes no sense, especially with the rain pouring down in the main mission. (Oh, not to mention that it does this regardless of what my settings are. Whether it be Low or Extra High, I have these sorts of issues.) Either way, I should have a GTX 980 by the time The Phantom Pain arrives; MGS is the only single game that ever pushes me into acquiring new hardware, never fails.

Hmmm, what's your CPU?

Almost sounds like you might be CPU bound as well as GPU bound.

Memory?

EDIT:

For reference my rig is:

GTX 980 4GB
4gb DDR3 1600
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz(aftermarket cooler)

Batzi

Banned
Isn't it easier and better if you all played it on the PS4 rather than having to worry about graphic settings and frame drops? There isn't really that much of a difference. Investing 100s of $ on a card is not worth it. PS4 version does a pretty good job. Unless 1080p60fps is not enough for you.

Isn't it easier and better if you all played it on the PS4 rather than having to worry about graphic settings and frame drops? There isn't really that much of a difference. Investing 100s of $ on a card is not worth it. PS4 version does a pretty good job. Unless 1080p60fps is not enough for you.

There's a huge difference in lighting and texture/model detail alone, hell even high settings looks better than the PS4 version and will pretty much run at 60FPS locked on a potato.

It's just that the game uses a lot more VRAM and there's a lot more going on in each scene when it's running full tilt.

You have to see it in person to believe.

My issue was mostly that I was hitting a wall with VRAM and Main ram usage, to be honest batzi it's really not that hard since most games autodetect what it thinks the best settings are for your system.

Besides if you lock it on 30FPS it won't dip at all and I'm not entirely convinced that 60FPS cutscenes are the hotness, they look great at both 30 and 60.

Also, I fully intend to get the PS4 version because most people will probably be on that instead of on PC.

But I'll probably do most of my playing on PC.

or just Buy a 980 like a crazy person and enjoy maxing out everything in every game at 60FPS.

JayEH

There is a big difference in the screenshots I've seen. I only really care about frame rate though so all the advanced options on PC don't interest me.

Hmmm, what's your CPU?

Almost sounds like you might be CPU bound as well as GPU bound.

Memory?

EDIT:

For reference my rig is:

GTX 980 4GB
4gb DDR3 1600
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz(aftermarket cooler)

I know what you mean! I think you're right. I currently have my FX-8350 (4.1GHz) installed, however, I will be switching it out for my i7-4770k (which destroyed a game like Watch Dogs, for example) soon. (I know, "Why do you have two processors?" Don't ask! I don't collect them, just weird circumstances lead to me having a couple.)

It's not really that. It's that I plan on playing the game for years to come. Metal Gear for me isn't just some game that comes out and I finish. I still play MGS2 like it's brand new, for instance. I'm really upgrading my rig to ensure I get the most out of MGSV for a long time to come. The PS4 version is stunning, but my God, I've been blown away by the visuals the PC version has to offer. Playing the on-rails chopper mission, I really noticed a difference due to everything being loaded in. That's just me, though. I mean, again, there are plenty of reasons I will be spending most of my time with the PC version -- MGO never shutting down is my number one reason, to be clear. MGO2's closure was devastating, and I'd prefer not to go through that again. (I am getting the PS4 version, too, especially with so many of my friends playing on PS4, but the graphics card investment is more of a long-term thing.)

Batzi

Banned
There's a huge difference in lighting and texture/model detail alone, hell even high settings looks better than the PS4 version and will pretty much run at 60FPS locked on a potato.

It's just that the game uses a lot more VRAM and there's a lot more going on in each scene when it's running full tilt.

You have to see it in person to believe.

My issue was mostly that I was hitting a wall with VRAM and Main ram usage, to be honest batzi it's really not that hard since most games autodetect what it thinks the best settings are for your system.

Besides if you lock it on 30FPS it won't dip at all and I'm not entirely convinced that 60FPS cutscenes are the hotness, they look great at both 30 and 60.

Also, I fully intend to get the PS4 version because most people will probably be on that instead of on PC.

But I'll probably do most of my playing on PC.

or just Buy a 980 like a crazy person and enjoy maxing out everything in every game at 60FPS.

There is a big difference in the screenshots I've seen. I only really care about frame rate though so all the advanced options on PC don't interest me.

I'm sure TPP on PS4 will look as good if not better than the PC version of GZ.

I'm sure TPP on PS4 will look as good if not better than the PC version of GZ.

Have you seen the detail in the character models in the PC version? Good Lord, it really capitalizes on the power of the Fox Engine.

Edit: To clarify, that doesn't take away from what the PS4 version is capable of. It's insane that an open world game runs at 60fps on a console. It's just fantastic that Kojima Productions took the extra steps to make the PC version the best version it could possibly be.

JayEH

PS4 TPP looks better than PS4 GZ.

that doesn't mean it looks as good as the PC version. I'm sure TPP will look better than GZ on console since they've had more time with the engine but there's no way it will look better than the PC version of GZ on a decent rig. Some of the lighting and reflections I've seen just aren't possible on console.

PS4 TPP looks better than PS4 GZ.

Well, a lot of factors play a part in that. A year (and change) worth of brushing up on the Fox Engine being a major one. We've seen the improvements in recent months. Like, that weird shadow behind Ocelot after "Let the legend come back to life!" being present in the E3 build and removed by the time gamescom rolled around two months later. The pop-in had almost completely vanished by the time we got to Tokyo Game Show (though still hard to say, as a different location was showcased). The game looks better and better every time we see it, and again, the PS4 version is absolutely gorgeous. But when we talk about the PC version, we have to take into account things such as improved lighting, shadows, draw distance, model detail, lack of pop-in -- not to mention up to 4K resolution. Again, not everyone is into squeezing every single drop out of their games, but it's certainly a nice option to have for those who are.

JayEH

Well, a lot of factors play a part in that. A year (and change) worth of brushing up on the Fox Engine being a major one. We've seen the improvements in recent months. Like, that weird shadow behind Ocelot after "Let the legend come back to life!" being present in the E3 build and removed by the time gamescom rolled around two months later. The pop-in had almost completely vanished by the time we got to Tokyo Game Show (though still hard to say, as a different location was showcased). The game looks better and better every time we see it, and again, the PS4 version is absolutely gorgeous. But when we talk about the PC version, we have to take into account things such as improved lighting, shadows, draw distance, model detail, lack of pop-in -- not to mention up to 4K resolution. Again, not everyone is into squeezing every single drop out of their games, but it's certainly a nice option to have for those who are.

I keep forgetting this game is coming out on last gen. I have no idea how they're getting this to run there. Pop in must be crazy and frame rate was acceptable at best at just camp omega. GZ on console was admirable, hopefully TPP is the same.

I keep forgetting this game is coming out on last gen. I have no idea how they're getting this to run there. Pop in must be crazy.

Honestly, I play the PS3 version often. While the frame rate can be inconsistent, the visuals are absolutely mind-blowing for a PS3/X360 game. The frame rate is really only an issue during the cutscenes, from what I've played. (But what kind of Metal Gear fan plays for the cutscenes?
leuhkikcskn4.gif
) The gameplay runs at anywhere from ~25-30fps. Somehow, a game that is this graphics-intensive can still outperform Telltale Games' The Walking Dead. :-D

JayEH

Honestly, I play the PS3 version often. While the frame rate can be inconsistent, the visuals are absolutely mind-blowing for a PS3/X360 game. The frame rate is really only an issue during the cutscenes, from what I've played. (But what kind of Metal Gear fan plays for the cutscenes?
leuhkikcskn4.gif
) The gameplay runs at anywhere from ~25-30fps. Somehow, a game that is this graphics-intensive can still outperform Telltale Games' The Walking Dead. :-D

I've played through the game (well 100%ed) on 360 since I was curious how it was and the main mission does look great considering what it's running on. I'll probably end up playing through the game on current and last gen because I'm a crazy person and am really interested in seeing technical differences.

I've played through the game (well 100%ed) on 360 since I was curious how it was and the main mission does look great considering what it's running on. I'll probably end up playing through the game on current and last gen because I'm a crazy person and am really interested in seeing technical differences.

Nice! Yeah, same here. I will do the same with The Phantom Pain. Though, my PS3 playthrough will be a ways off since I don't think I will ever finish it! :p It really is neat to delve into what separates a game (especially a cross-gen game like GZ) and get a feel for what only next-gen consoles can provide. Or not provide! Like the music import feature. ;-;

JayEH

Guys you're missing the point here...

That PS4 version will look really good and put developers around the world to shame with its locked 60 fps?

Anyway, for you the 100s of dollars may not be worth the graphical bump but some people like to crank their games to 11 and want to game on PC for other reasons besides graphical quality.

Batzi

Banned
That PS4 version will look really good and put developers around the world to shame with its locked 60 fps?

Anyway, for you the 100s of dollars may not be worth the graphical bump but some people like to crank their games to 11 and want to game on PC for other reasons besides graphical quality.

No. We want the release date and we won't settle for anything less. No amount of graphic card can give us the release date at this point.

JayEH

No. We want the release date and we won't settle for anything less. No amount of graphic card can give us the release date at this point.

Remember when Kojima said that he was waiting for there to be more PS4s before TPP released? 18.5 mil PS4s sold... That means a release date is imminent.

Yup. Exactly. Like I said, my main concern is not with the visuals -- it's with online functionality. PlayStation Network is hot garbage behind a paywall (I'm having a bit of a giggle calling it hot garbage; it's a lot better than it used to be.), but more concerning: I don't want to have to acquire a console with custom firmware just to play MGO3 (ala SaveMGO's method of playing MGO2). Again, the improvement in visuals (as well as solid frame rate) is just icing on the cake.

Dawg

I'm getting TPP on PS4 because that's where the franchise belongs.

I can always try out the PC version later, but I'm no fan of mods or anything. It's funny to see those videos etc but they ruin my immersion.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it's fucking Kojima we're talking about here, if it was any other developer then ok it's all real but for Kojima? hell it could be anything. Nobody can say for sure what will happen or what happened for real.

But he already covered that stuff with MGS2. That doesn't seem like the M.O. of a guy who has been trying to escape the franchise for a long time because he wants to do something new.

Batzi

Banned
I'm getting TPP on PS4 because that's where the franchise belongs.

I can always try out the PC version later, but I'm no fan of mods or anything. It's funny to see those videos etc but they ruin my immersion.

I have to agree with this post. Metal Gear belongs on PlayStation and really not a fan of mods either. I trust Kojima's vision and his decisions and I wouldn't change a thing.

JayEH

But he already covered that stuff with MGS2. That doesn't seem like the M.O. of a guy who has been trying to escape the franchise for a long time because he wants to do something new.

Yep. This "Kojima craziness" all stems from MGS2 but the thing is he hasn't done anything like that since then. Yeah he's done the Moby Dick and PT thing but he hasn't done anything on the scale of MGS2.

Anyway, Kojima doesn't telegraph his surprises at all so probably most of our theories are wrong :p

I'm going to be getting it on the Xbox one, probably only one of the few to do so on GAF lol. It's because most of my friends are on X1. Resolution doesn't bother me as long it's 60FPS stable. If resolution truly bothered me, I would have gone PC gaming only a long, long, looong time ago.

Dawg

I fear this will be released in q3 :-(

Remember that Metal Gear Solid 4's release date was announced late Q1 2008 and it would end up releasing in june.

I say there's still a "big" chance we're getting Metal Gear Solid V in june.

Now lets talk about a release date? Im expecting the game to be released in June

what about you guys?

I may be the only person who can wait for the game. I mean sure I'm excited as fuck about it but all I'm thinking about is I hope I finish everything I got in hand before it releases because my time will be dedicated to this game and this game only like all MGS games.

Yen

Remember that Metal Gear Solid 4's release date was announced late Q1 2008 and it would end up releasing in june.

I say there's still a "big" chance we're getting Metal Gear Solid V in june.
Why June? 3 months on from whatever conference is in March?

Mista

Banned
I may be the only person who can wait for the game. I mean sure I'm excited as fuck about it but all I'm thinking about is I hope I finish everything I got in hand before it releases because my time will be dedicated to this game and this game only like all MGS games.

I cant wait anymore for the game. Especially with that MGO announcement!

All though this year hopefully is going to be a great gaming year but still I want MGS

Hey i'm replaying everything to catch up on story for Ground Zeroes/TPP.

I never played PEace Walker though and now have the HD Collection.

I've heard though that to get the full story you have to grind a lot- is there a guide to get the basics done so I just get the important story? I'm not too interested in 100%ing it, or multiplayer, or trophies, just the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom