• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
"He got away again - and this time we can't track him. So no mission for you." S. M. H.

He's hidden in a level now, so unless you really want to scour every last mission to find him, here's where he is, spoilered just in case you don't want to know.

Extra Ops 1, take the stairs and you'll find him.

malfcn

What a way to fuck up an otherwise great game. Making you go through all that bullshit almost ruins it.

"You know what to do"
"What? Go through every level, start at the beginning and hope to find him?"

I am really curious about Miller now..

Icefire1424

He's hidden in a level now, so unless you really want to scour every last mission to find him, here's where he is, spoilered just in case you don't want to know.

Extra Ops 1, take the stairs and you'll find him.

Ya know, I don't think I ever actually "finished" PW because of exactly this mission. Might be time to dust of the 'ol PSP.

Kojima stated that one of the inspirations in that game was Pokemon Gold, for better or worse.

I suppose that's why it feels so grind-ish, in addition to having a bit of a Monster Hunter feel. :(

If only he was inspired by something less grindy and that had better bosses...like Metal Gear Solid for example

Batzi

Banned
is it bad that I don't care about the tapes in GZ ?

Most of the story is on those tapes. I would highly recommend finding them and listening to them. You will learn a lot of things. Trust me. In fact, the tapes have more story and depth in them than the cutscenes in GZ.

I think that just drastically-reducing the grind aspect would make the bosses and Mother Base management much better.

True. I don't actually dislike the bosses, but I miss the creative human bosses with puzzle elements and tons of ways to beat them, instead of just 'run around shooting'

G-Fex

Most of the story is on those tapes. I would highly recommend finding them and listening to them. You will learn a lot of things. Trust me. In fact, the tapes have more story and depth in them than the cutscenes in GZ.

I usually don't pay attention during the play on that stream but I guess when I play GZ i'll listen to them.

True. I don't actually dislike the bosses, but I miss the creative human bosses with puzzle elements and tons of ways to beat them, instead of just 'run around shooting'

You're right. Those kind of bosses were the best. That's what MGS is about when it comes to bosses and even level design.

JayEH

And more Kiefer!

Seriously though, he talks a bit more there so if anyone needs more of a sample to base how good of a job he's doing, listen to those.

Batzi

Banned
And more Kiefer!

Seriously though, he talks a bit more there so if anyone needs more of a sample to base how good of a job he's doing, listen to those.

He's doing an outstanding job and I think David Hayter would have ruined Big Boss' transition from good to "evil". Big Boss in MGSV sounds more human and feels more realistic thanks to motion capture. Can't wait to hear Kiefer in TPP!

cackhyena

I think Hayter would have done fine if they had him revert back to MGS1 gruff. He was perfectly fine with that. How you do the BB meetup with Snake (if that happens) I don't know. Less talk all around will be better, since Kojima won't write as much time filler bullshit, and it lets the glorious game play not be intruded upon as much.

I think Hayter would have done fine if they had him revert back to MGS1 gruff. He was perfectly fine with that. How you do the BB meetup with Snake (if that happens) I don't know. Less talk all around will be better, since Kojima won't write as much time filler bullshit, and it lets the glorious game play not be intruded upon as much.

Unfortunately it seems that Hayter either can't or won't do the MGS1 voice again. Ironically I think Keifer sounds closer to MGS1 Snake than any of Hayter's subsequent efforts (except maybe 2, but even that was pretty exaggerated).

tagrat

Thinking about picking up the Metal Gear HD Collection. I like the idea of having them on my Vita, but I would have to also pay for Peace Walker, so I'm leaning towards the PS3 versions. Any suggestions?

Thinking about picking up the Metal Gear HD Collection. I like the idea of having them on my Vita, but I would have to also pay for Peace Walker, so I'm leaning towards the PS3 versions. Any suggestions?

It really depends on how you want to play the games.

Also, does anyone know if the Vita version of Peace Walker has online play that lets you play with PS3 players?

tagrat

It really depends on how you want to play the games.

Also, does anyone know if the Vita version of Peace Walker has online play that lets you play with PS3 players?

Portable would be slightly better for me. I can just hope that Peace Walker for PSP goes on sale at some point. DECISIONS! DAMN YOU GOLDEN WEEK SALE!

Portable would be slightly better for me. I can just hope that Peace Walker for PSP goes on sale at some point. DECISIONS! DAMN YOU GOLDEN WEEK SALE!

I can vouch for the Vita version being an awesome port. Another bonus of having them on Vita is if you have to go somewhere and you're in the middle of a lengthy cutscene you can just put it in suspend mode and resume later.

Also, while Peace Walker is a good game, 2&3 are so, so, so much better.

J-Roderton

Okay, facing Solidus with the katana is probably one of my favorite boss fights now. Really enjoyed that game even though that super long cutscene just gave me a headache. The whole GW and S3 nonsense.

Starting up Snake Eater tonight. I did get to the first area today, though. What does it matter what I choose at the beginning when it has the options to "Like" Mgs1, Mgs2, or Mgs3?

JayEH

Okay, facing Solidus with the katana is probably one of my favorite boss fights now. Really enjoyed that game even though that super long cutscene just gave me a headache. The whole GW and S3 nonsense.

Starting up Snake Eater tonight. I did get to the first area today, though. What does it matter what I choose at the beginning when it has the options to "Like" Mgs1, Mgs2, or Mgs3?

I think it changes difficulty modes and maybe there's some easter eggs? I don't remember.

Yeah, the Solidus fight is amazing. If you want to make it even more badass, in one of the Snake Tales and Boss Rush mode with Snake, you have to beat Solidus as Snake using only your fists.

Enjoy Snake Eater! It's amazing. The options of which MGS you like give you different things (MGS2 has an easter egg item, 3 gives you a camo, and I think 1 gives you more stamina). I think it also changes how many codec calls you get in the beginning (i.e. if you say you like 3 the best, you won't get as many because the game assumes you know how to play it already).

J-Roderton

I think it changes difficulty modes and maybe there's some easter eggs? I don't remember.

The choices are there along with the difficulties on the side. I guess I'll just try em all out. I'll try one save file going for 100% stealth. Is it tough to do? I'm on easy or normal.

edit: Okay cool. I picked MGS2 the first time and I had a Raiden mask on. Which was weird. And didn't know I could go back to that fight in Snake Tales. Hell yes.

I'll try one save file going for 100% stealth. Is it tough to do? I'm on easy or normal.

Easy or normal? Which is it?

Either way, 100% stealth is pretty easy if you're familiar with Metal Gear Solid gameplay... especially if you're playing on easy or normal.

J-Roderton

Easy or normal? Which is it?

Either way, 100% stealth is pretty easy if you're familiar with Metal Gear Solid gameplay... especially if you're playing on easy or normal.

First two games beaten on easy. Just wanted to get the story. So i'll be hopping up to normal for this one then. I do believe I'll be ready for that.

First two games beaten on easy. Just wanted to get the story. So i'll be hopping up to normal for this one then. I do believe I'll be ready for that.

Good luck. A lot of people consider Snake Eater to be the best MGS game out there, but I like them all equally.

jett

D-Member

Choose "I haven't played a MGS game before" > You get the normal intro, normal Virtuous Mission.
Choose MGS1 > You'll get the normal intro, your stamina level in Virtuous Mission will deplete more slowly.
Choose MGS2 > You'll get the bonus Raiden intro, normal Virtuous Mission.
Choose MGS3 > You'll get normal intro, normal Virtous Mission and you unlock some bonus camo, all the difficulty levels and all the cut-scenes in the viewer.

malfcn

You're damn right you did. How'd you like it?

The gameplay was great in the sense of controls and options. The sandbox was really huge. But I felt it lacked content and of course was short. I feel like I got lucky and found where I needed go instead of really searching.

I messed up a few times with getting spotted. "Fuck it, we'll do it leathal!"

The ending is a cliff hanger the sets up TTP. Now, such hype. Not sure how I like the new voice after doing a marathon through the series.

The gameplay was great in the sense of controls and options. The sandbox was really huge. But I felt it lacked content and of course was short. I feel like I got lucky and found where I needed go instead of really searching.

I messed up a few times with getting spotted. "Fuck it, we'll do it leathal!"

The ending is a cliff hanger the sets up TTP. Now, such hype. Not sure how I like the new voice after doing a marathon through the series.

Sandbox actually isn't as big as it seems once you know your way around, but that's okay because the level design is super tight. As for content, the joy is in the replayablity : you've got cassette tapes to find that give more story, XOF patches to unlock a new mission, trials, ranks, weapons to unlock at the start, harder difficulty, etc. Plus, the side missions are all very different from GZ, and it's surprising how the new objectives and different times of day can make Camp Omega seem like an almost totally different place.

I'm usually not one for replaying the same thing over and over, but I've out 9 and a half hours into this so far and I'm still not bored. The gameplay is just so damn good.

malfcn

I know the meat is in the side missions. Probably play the main a few times more and the sides.
Ground Zeroes could easily be the opening mission to The Phantom Pain.
You complete GZ, and know all the awesome stuff is going to be in TPP.

And I saw a strange rumor/spoiler that I am not so sure how I feel about.

Playing through again and taking my time. Nobody sees me. Then some dude with his back turned spots me behind the upstairs wall. Thanks bad guy.

Holykael1

Banned
I know the meat is in the side missions. Probably play the main a few times more and the sides.
Ground Zeroes could easily be the opening mission to The Phantom Pain.
You complete GZ, and know all the awesome stuff is going to be in TPP.

And I saw a strange rumor/spoiler that I am not so sure how I feel about.

Playing through again and taking my time. Nobody sees me. Then some dude with his back turned spots me behind the upstairs wall. Thanks bad guy.

What did you think of the series overall after the marathon, care to talk a little bit about your experiences in each entry?

I recommend finding or youtubing the tapes, a lot of the story content of GZ is there.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Man I can't even imagine what he will be showing with this one! I hope it is as long as the red band trailer!

Calling it, he will show (young) Solid Snake.

Also, he's almost finished with the trailer? dang i hope he didn't rush it. MGS trailers are always so much hype and last years E3 trailer was one of the best trailers ever!

Ah well, in Kojima we trust.

Here's the question and answer - it starts with ZOE and then goes to the MSX games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKS1gdnIGU&t=39m42s

Yeah, he's so electric in those Kojima Station episodes! :p

Yeah, he was excited during those times. It looks like he has renewed interest in the series once again, which is cool. But we'll see when the main game finally gets released. From the written interviews/articles, he seemed happy with PW too, in terms of it being an experiment.

M47 Rocket Launcher is the best. But yeah, even then. Chrysallis is an annoying piece of junk.

Wow thanks for the reply! I appreciate it, that was a cool interview I really enjoyed it. But again man, he just has so much energy when speaking his native tongue I wish he could get his terrible translator to translate some of that instead. :p

That said, I didn't really get the same vibe from his interviews about Peace Walker(plus I didn't like Peace Walker for the most part) but this..I dunno man I just have this gut feeling that this will be the best Metal Gear ever.

It's just a hunch. :p

Calling it, he will show (young) Solid Snake.

Also, he's almost finished with the trailer? dang i hope he didn't rush it. MGS trailers are always so much hype and last years E3 trailer was one of the best trailers ever!

Ah well, in Kojima we trust.

If young Solid Snake is in the game (which he might be, but I don't think he will be) I doubt Kojima would spoil that in a trailer.

The trailer will no doubt be awesome though. He really outdid himself with the "not your kind of people" and Red Band trailers.

R-User!

Which is frustrating.
It's like budget storytelling.
Where are the FUCKING cutscenes?
I don't even get a picture to stare at like in Peace Walker?!
Should I close my eyes and use my Sense while listening to
Skull Face raping Paz
?

The whole tapes thing really felt lackluster in comparison to the rest of the Solid series. AnD I get the logical reason to use tapes: I just feel like I'm (the player) being Punished (Snake).

Is that the intent?

Which is frustrating.
It's like budget storytelling.
Where are the FUCKING cutscenes?
I don't even get a picture to stare at like in Peace Walker?!
Should I close my eyes and use my Sense while listening to
Skull Face raping Paz
?

The whole tapes thing really felt lackluster in comparison to the rest of the Solid series. AnD I get the logical reason to use tapes: I just feel like I'm (the player) being Punished (Snake).

Is that the intent?

Eh, I liked the tapes. It would be weird to have a series of disconnected cutscenes, and it gives the player something to hunt down. Not to mention Kojima would get a ton of flack for showing what the tapes described, so leaving it to the player's imagination was a much smarter choice.

And I like that you get a nice, lean story for ground zeroes that doesn't get in the way of gameplay too much, but if you want to delve deeper into the backstory you can hunt down and listen to the tapes.

I also really like the sound design of the tapes, which realistic whirring and clicking of a cassette player, and all the sounds are well done so you can infer what is going on in the scene.

R-User!

Eh, I liked the tapes. It would be weird to have a series of disconnected cutscenes, and it gives the player something to hunt down. Not to mention Kojima would get a ton of flack for showing what the tapes described, so leaving it to the player's imagination was a much smarter choice.

And I like that you get a nice, lean story for ground zeroes that doesn't get in the way of gameplay too much, but if you want to delve deeper into the backstory you can hunt down and listen to the tapes.

I also really like the sound design of the tapes, which realistic whirring and clicking of a cassette player, and all the sounds are well done so you can infer what is going on in the scene.

All your points are valid and I agree that the audio production quality is superb, and that you can't show the graphic scene, but it's frustrating that there is so little story presented through cutscenes and so much story presented through audio; it's just antithetical to the MGS (edit: outside of CODEC calls of course; though I guess these could sort of be thought as something akin to CODEC calls...) I've loved from MGS1-4 (PW is a mixed bag...).

It's not the same. I've played all of the missions. I'm mainly referring to the GZ mission.

Edit: above...

Wow thanks for the reply! I appreciate it, that was a cool interview I really enjoyed it. But again man, he just has so much energy when speaking his native tongue I wish he could get his terrible translator to translate some of that instead. :p

Yeah, I wish at the very least, that the Japanese episodes were subtitled. He's so high in those episodes - so much energy and enthusiasm.

That said, I didn't really get the same vibe from his interviews about Peace Walker(plus I didn't like Peace Walker for the most part) but this..I dunno man I just have this gut feeling that this will be the best Metal Gear ever.

It's just a hunch. :p

Oh, I see. Well, I think that he's more positive with MGSV, the way he's described it. I think your hunch will probably be correct :)

All your points are valid and I agree that the audio production quality is superb, and that you can't show the graphic scene, but it's frustrating that there is so little story presented through cutscenes and so much story presented through audio; it's just antithetical to the MGS (edit: outside of CODEC calls of course; though I guess these could sort of be thought as something akin to CODEC calls...) I've loved from MGS1-4 (PW is a mixed bag...).

It's not the same. I've played all of the missions. I'm mainly referring to the GZ mission.

Edit: above...

I would have liked more cutscenes too...but that's mostly because I wanted more game in general. But both main cutscenes were about 10 minutes long which is par for the course for MGS, and they were both really well directed (especially the opening) so I was happy with what we got.

JayEH

If Solid Snake is in TPP, I bet he will have a new voice actor with Kojima using the excuse that he needed an actor who can accurately portray a man in his early 20's.

While keeping the same Japanese voice actor for Big Boss and Solid Snake lol.

If young Solid Snake is in the game (which he might be, but I don't think he will be) I doubt Kojima would spoil that in a trailer.

The trailer will no doubt be awesome though. He really outdid himself with the "not your kind of people" and Red Band trailers.

I could see Kojima putting Solid Snake in TPP. I mean,
Liquid is basically confirmed.
Your opinion is the minority seeing as most people think Solid Snake is going to be in the game in some form or another. Any reason why you don't think he will be in TPP?

If anything, he'll be in the last scene of the game, or in a scene at the end of the credits. >_<

I could see Kojima putting Solid Snake in TPP. I mean,
Liquid is basically confirmed.
Your opinion is the minority seeing as most people think Solid Snake is going to be in the game in some form or another. Any reason why you don't think he will be in TPP?

If anything, he'll be in the last scene of the game, or in a scene at the end of the credits. >_<

Well, didn't Snake never meet Big Boss until he was an adult?

And I think Kojima has gone out of his way to make MGSV a lot less fan-servicey than MGS4, and I'm not sure how him meeting young Solid would be anything other than fan service (not that it's impossible to incorporate him into the narrative). But with liquid, it makes sense geographically, and him being a dick to Liquid would probably serve as good character development for both characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom