• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

Maybe he swaps arms with Miller?
leuhkikcskn4.gif

By the way, will Miller get awesome limbs too? I mean Snake has multiple mechanic arms at his disposal and his second in command, one of his closest friends has... well... a steel pipe stuck to his leg.

That was my original idea but Miller loses his right arm.
She is the voice director of MGSV.

2015-01-1122_47_33-kr7vdwp.png

Told you it wasn't a kid who said that line in the Atkins vine.
leuhkikcskn4.gif

BTW she is an incredible voice director. Except with the Ocelit thing.

Ahh, I was 10 when MGS came out. Have you been in Mass for a long time? Do you remember Tokyo Kid in Harvard Sq in the Garage? I remember picking up a Japanese copy of MGS and Final Fantasy VIII there for no other reason than novelty. I already had both games in English. To be young indeed...

only been here a few years. i'm from connecticut

Maybe he swaps arms with Miller?
leuhkikcskn4.gif

By the way, will Miller get awesome limbs too? I mean Snake has multiple mechanic arms at his disposal and his second in command, one of his closest friends has... well... a steel pipe stuck to his leg.

it's absolutely hilarious that huey is walking around on bionic legs, BB has a perfectly functional arm, and miller is hobbling around with a cane

Skullface

it's absolutely hilarious that huey is walking around on bionic legs, BB has a perfectly functional arm, and miller is hobbling around with a cane

Tokyo Kid was the coolest video game store. It's a shame they're gone. Independent game shops are enough of a rarity as is, let alone shops that specialize in imports.

JayEH

Not only do they allow him to walk but also magically give him back the ability to reproduce.

Tokyo Kid was the coolest video game store. It's a shame they're gone. Independent game shops are enough of a rarity as is, let alone shops that specialize in imports.

yeah, you'd think cities would still have them. i take it there is nothing like that around these days?

Pinewood

Not only do they allow him to walk but also magically give him back the ability to reproduce.
I thought he wasn't paralyzed, just deformed and
spineless
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Its funny that Huey and Hal both are plagiarizing hacks, when it comes to their bigger inventions, although to be fair, I don't think Hal never explicitly said he made the Solid Eye and Octocamo.

Skullface

yeah, you'd think cities would still have them. i take it there is nothing like that around these days?

Sudden Impact in Winthrop is pretty cool, but pricy. They're only 3-4 miles from where you're at. The owner will probably be at PAX. Other than that, I don't know. There's not much out there. I blame Gamestop...

There's a few other specialty shops that have been around since the Tokyo Kid days though. There's a comic shop called Million Year Picnic that has a pretty good selection. Half their selection is manga. I haven't been into comics or manga since I was a kid, but if you're into it this is a place to check out. For music there's Planet Records. They specialize in rare bootlegs that you'd be hard pressed to find as torrents. Both shops are in Harvard Sq.

Edit: Stay far far away from CEX downtown.

Nvzman

I thought he wasn't paralyzed, just deformed and
spineless
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Its funny that Huey and Hal both are plagiarizing hacks, when it comes to their bigger inventions, although to be fair, I don't think Hal never explicitly said he made the Solid Eye and Octocamo.
He does say that the design of the octocamo was taken from the internet.

Skullface

I always forget how tiny MGS is. Even compared to MG2. Back tracking as a means of artificially making these games bigger is really tedious by today's standards :/

I remember using game shark back in the day to get all items. I'd use the cardboard box to get to the Sniper Wolf snowfield from the helepad. With the highest level key card you can just walk into the door and it prompts you to insert disc 2. With this humongous shortcut, I was able to beat the game in 45 minutes. I couldn't beat the torture sequence EVER, and this trick defaulted to the Meryl ending. I would have had to wait until youtube was invented to see that ending otherwise.

JayEH

I hope there isn't any more torture scenes where I have to jam on the action button. Those are so tiring. I had to do MGS1 (and PW) a few times in a row since I didn't know what to do.

Speaking of torture, I wonder how censored th japanese version of TPP will be. PW's torture scene got turned into a tickle scene in Japan and that scene was even that bad.

Sudden Impact in Winthrop is pretty cool, but pricy. They're only 3-4 miles from where you're at. The owner will probably be at PAX. Other than that, I don't know. There's not much out there. I blame Gamestop...

There's a few other specialty shops that have been around since the Tokyo Kid days though. There's a comic shop called Million Year Picnic that has a pretty good selection. Half their selection is manga. I haven't been into comics or manga since I was a kid, but if you're into it this is a place to check out. For music there's Planet Records. They specialize in rare bootlegs that you'd be hard pressed to find as torrents. Both shops are in Harvard Sq.

Edit: Stay far far away from CEX downtown.

haha, i walked by there once. that area is sketchy as hell. rock bottom is cool though
I hope there isn't any more torture scenes where I have to jam on the action button. Those are so tiring. I had to do MGS1 (and PW) a few times in a row since I didn't know what to do.

Speaking of torture, I wonder how censored th japanese version of TPP will be. PW's torture scene got turned into a tickle scene in Japan and that scene was even that bad.

wait, WAT?

GTA V's torture sequence also isn't playable in japanese version, they got a cutscene instead.

I think that was to avoid a Cero D rating. The handheld games are lower rating than the console ones.

Skullface

haha, i walked by there once. that area is sketchy as hell. rock bottom is cool though

wait, WAT?

You worked at CEX? Hahaha shit man, that must have been stressful. Rock Bottom is cool shit though. I may very well have crossed paths with you at some point. I actually caved and bought my Legacy Collection from CEX a couple weeks ago. My Master Chief Collection came from that Gamestop next door.

JayEH

wait, WAT?

http://youtu.be/ud7YhYnTQHg

Starts at about 2 mins.

GTA V's torture sequence also isn't playable in japanese version, they got a cutscene instead.

Hmmm not looking good for Japan.
I think that was to avoid a Cero D rating. The handheld games are lower rating than the console ones.

Ahh that makes sense still the GTA v example shows they'll probably change up those scenes.

There's one in every MGS isn't there? Feel it is some sort of staple of the series, which is kind of annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if returns in some fashion.

Also, this weird thing just happened to me

http://youtu.be/J7sepGqhoUM

Don't drink and drive.

Skullface

Intradasting... When you enter the gas room of MGS, you only need to equip the gas mask for a second, then you can change items and still have the extended oxygen meter. 17 year old game and I'm still finding out new things (although I'm sure this trick is documented somewhere already).

You worked at CEX? Hahaha shit man, that must have been stressful. Rock Bottom is cool shit though. I may very well have crossed paths with you at some point. I actually caved and bought my Legacy Collection from CEX a couple weeks ago. My Master Chief Collection came from that Gamestop next door.

ha, nah man, never worked there. i have frequented some of the bars in that area though

hahaha. WTF

JayEH

Tbh the torture part was a bit gross.

Watched the E3 2013 TPP trailer again.

What if the horn is made of diamond and "taking our fallen comrades into battle" means adding their ashes to the diamond?

There should still be an explanation how it got there in the first place...

There's a theory (that might have originated from Yong?) that they're turning the soldiers into knives.

Skullface

Wow, I beat the torture session with Ocelot for the first time. Not only that, I made it out with full health! The pen trick works!!

There's a theory (that might have originated from Yong?) that they're turning the soldiers into knives.

There's not doubt that they'll be turned into diamonds, but for what? Diamond blades are a thing, so this makes sense. There's a really unique looking knife the keep showing, so that's a clue. Beyond that, what, they keep a satchel of diamonds that they bring with them on missions?

Skullface

i thought it was already established that the horn is shrapnel

It's well stated in fact

Edit: There's some commentary on how Kojima was trying to make Big Boss an "oni" by aesthetic tricks. For one, the shrapnel horn, and I do believe he's stated using the word "shrapnel". Then there's the belt hanging off his lower back as a "tail". Then there's his face caked in blood to finish off the visual analogy.

There's not doubt that they'll be turned into diamonds, but for what? Diamond blades are a thing, so this makes sense. There's a really unique looking knife the keep showing, so that's a clue. Beyond that, what, they keep a satchel of diamonds that they bring with them on missions?

There is also that scene where BB hands the diamonds to the Africans behind a gate/cell. Wonder if he is 'returning' the men or something else.

Pinewood

SWAG&BLING

I really like the watch shown in TPP when they do the time-lapse.

Skullface

There is also that scene where BB hands the diamonds to the Africans behind a gate/cell. Wonder if he is 'returning' the men or something else.

I don't know... Blood diamonds seem important to the plot some how, especially considering they are in Africa. In one of the gameplay demos
they show Big Boss collecting diamonds in the field as currency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom