• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Running around trying to fit in ♬

Wanting to be loved.

♬ It doesn't take much.

For someone to shut you down.

When you build a shell ♬

Build an army in your mind.

♬ You can't sit still.

And you don't like hanging round the crowd.

They don't understand ♬

Skullface

Running around trying to fit in ♬

Wanting to be loved.

♬ It doesn't take much.

For someone to shut you down.

When you build a shell ♬

Build an army in your mind.

♬ You can't sit still.

And you don't like hanging round the crowd.

They don't understand ♬

I find this song to be very touching.

That analysis was insane. While it doesn't appear (in the trailer) that character customization is all that extensive (for the player models themselves), there has always been a variety of male and female soldiers to choose from in MGO, so I would expect that to be the case with this iteration as well. The amount of variety in the clothing was pretty noteworthy, though! I think Yong was spot-on with the class system... It'll be interesting to see how that changes the game. Great video; I couldn't begin to imagine what kind of details he would extract with more than four minutes of footage!

SJRB

Gold Member
MGO2 is the greatest online game ever created.

...I don't know about that one. Konami basically fucked themselves with their asinine login procedures. Absolutely mindblowing how anyone thought that was a good idea.

That combined with the often terrible connection/lag it made playing way more cumbersome than it ever should've been.

Some good concepts though. Snake vs Team in Grozny Grad for days.

Guys, I think we have something to keep us busy until MGSV is released.

Go tweet @yourwaifubot [available keywords: waifu, husbando, imouto, shipgirl, touhou].

Cifer

Banned
Am I the only one who can't stand this guy? lol at the 55 minute analysis for a 5 minute video showing off the MP. I would love to see Kojima's reaction to this.

Nope, you are not the only one. The most was pretty obvious and clearly not worth 55 minutes of your life. 3 hours waiting for the chicken hat was worth it though.

Dawg

YongYea is mostly speculation taken to an extreme level with way too much explanation for my taste. I can understand the appeal for people who want to hear an in-depth explanation of every single trailer but I find his videos to be boring because I already know 90% of what he is saying and his videos always make it sound like he's showing off tons of new info.

But yeah, I'm a hater :p

If/When Gray Fox shows up in TPP, I pray he has a better voice actor than Larc Spies. After watching the digital graphic novel and now hearing him in Portable Ops is absolutely atrocious. Did he not have a director? Greg Eagles would be my favorite, but I'll take anyone other than Spies. It's like he's just reading the script as a bedtime story.

JayEH

If/When Gray Fox shows up in TPP, I pray he has a better voice actor than Larc Spies. After watching the digital graphic novel and now hearing him in Portable Ops is absolutely atrocious. Did he not have a director? Greg Eagles would be my favorite, but I'll take anyone other than Spies. It's like he's just reading the script as a bedtime story.

Greg Eagles is the only Gray Fox as far as I'm concerned.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g2wirHy618g#t=120

HBXaPFj.png

Prisoner of death
HBXaPFj.png

Dawg

Not sure if Eagles' iconic MGS1 voice would fit MGSV though.

Considering most of the VAs are new, I'd bet on a new VA for Gray Fox.

Skullface

i think he/she's being a wiseguy (gray fox is the main character hypothesis)

Ahh, lol. I never want to assume someone's fucking around. For some reason I wanted to say "no one's confirmed Ishmael is Gray Fox", but I thought that would have been presumptuous.

Unless Kojima Productions implodes and loses all of their data, there is no way Gray Fox won't be in the game!

I totally agree. I'd be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't appear.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Goddammit, Kojima is really working his ass off for this game. Even on weekends, looks like he wants to finish it asap.

Skullface

Kojima loves Twitter.

How come he hasnt put that in MGS.

1421191669966.png

I hate twitter, I really do. I think the only purpose it serves is for various industry professionals to reach out to fans and customers. Like a merchant purchasing from a whole sale market, you should need credentials to spew your bullshit to the masses.

-Deimos

1421191669966.png

I hate twitter, I really do. I think the only purpose it serves is for various industry professionals to reach out to fans and customers. Like a merchant purchasing from a whole sale market, you should need credentials to spew your bullshit to the masses.
Twitter is basically just a gaming news feed for me.

JayEH

I used to have one but got rid of it a while ago since it was just bullshit. It was basically becoming a RSS feed for gaming news for me until I realized that Gaf is probably a better RSS feed.

Skullface

Twitter is basically just a gaming news feed for me.

Me too. Maybe sports as well. But it's used all to often for mental masturbation. I'd see it as a travesty to see twitter included, even as a parody, in MGS games. Blech.

I used to have one but got rid of a while ago since it was just bullshit. It was basically becoming a RSS feed for gaming news for me until I realized that Gaf is probably a better RSS feed.

maximum-brofist-mgs-style-cut-o.gif

jakomocha

Sorry, I already posted this on the stupid gaming questions thread, but I thought it would be good to repost it here for some responses:

How is playing MGS 1 on the Vita? Can I play it with the analog sticks? I'm thinking of buying it off of PSN, I have not played a MGS game before.

Also, I remember hearing there are some audio issue with playing it on the Vita, are they still there/is there a fix for them?

EDIT:
On a side note, assuming I get it now, is there anything I should know before getting into MGS, gameplay or story related? I remember reading there are multiple endings to the first game somewhere, is there anything specific I need to do to get the canon/good one (if there even is a "good one") or will it be pretty self-explanatory?

Also, can save files transfer from PSV to PS3?

JayEH

Sorry, I already posted this on the stupid gaming questions thread, but I thought it would be good to repost it here for some responses:

EDIT:
On a side note, assuming I get it now, is there anything I should know before getting into MGS, gameplay or story related? I remember reading there are multiple endings to the first game somewhere, is there anything specific I need to do to get the canon/good one (if there even is a "good one") or will it be pretty self-explanatory?

It's a good version and yes you can use the analog sticks. I haven't heard of any audio issues on the Vita version. Don't know about save file transfers. You don't need to know anything as far as the story goes. MGS1 is a sequel to the first two Metal Gear games on MSX but the games does a really good job explaining what happened in those games throughout MGS1. If you want some background info before starting the game I believe there is some files on the characters somewhere in the main menu (not sure exactly though sorry).

As far as gameplay, use the Codec and your support team to your advantage. If you're ever stuck on a boss fight or don't know where to go remember to give them a call. There is two different endings depending on what you do in one part of the story and it becomes clear when that part is happening. There is a canon ending from the two options you are given.

Anyway, hope you enjoy MGS1. You're in for a great ride.

Skullface

EDIT:

Beware of really outdated controls and camera
decisions. This becomes less of an issue 1/3rd of the way through disc one. This was a top of the line game at the time, but if you were born after maybe, '94, you're bound to find the controls to be very frustrating. Grit your teeth and endure, it's probably the best entry story wise.

Edit: Neck snap is your friend until you find the suppressor for your SOCOM

jakomocha

Thanks for the help guys!
It's a good version and yes you can use the analog sticks. I haven't heard of any audio issues on the Vita version. Don't know about save file transfers. You don't need to know anything as far as the story goes. MGS1 is a sequel to the first two Metal Gear games on MSX but the games does a really good job explaining what happened in those games throughout MGS1. If you want some background info before starting the game I believe there is some files on the characters somewhere in the main menu (not sure exactly though sorry).

As far as gameplay, use the Codec and your support team to your advantage. If you're ever stuck on a boss fight or don't know where to go remember to give them a call. There is two different endings depending on what you do in one part of the story and it becomes clear when that part is happening. There is a canon ending from the two options you are given.

Anyway, hope you enjoy MGS1. You're in for a great ride.
I do plan on playing the original MG games sometime because I have the Legacy Collection which includes them (I could only find it for a good price used though, which is why I don't have the MGS 1 key usually included). I heard that it may be easier to appreciate them if I play them after completing the 3D franchise though.

Beware of really outdated controls and camera
decisions. This becomes less of an issue 1/3rd of the way through disc one. This was a top of the line game at the time, but if you were born after maybe, '94, you're bound to find the controls to be very frustrating. Grit your teeth and endure, it's probably the best entry story wise.

Edit: Neck snap is your friend until you find the suppressor for your SOCOM
Yeah, I was born after '94. Hopefully I'll enjoy the game enough to look past its jankiness. Also, does anyone here know how well the game controls on the Vita?

Finally, sorry if I'm being an idiot, but how do I get the game on my Vita? It's not on the PS store on Vita (only MGS VR Missions is). Do I have to install it in some way on my PS3 first? I'm going out of town later today, so I think it'd be nice to have MGS on the go with me.

Thanks for the help guys!

Finally, sorry if I'm being an idiot, but how do I get the game on my Vita? It's not on the PS store on Vita (only MGS VR Missions is). Do I have to install it in some way on my PS3 first? I'm going out of town later today, so I think it'd be nice to have MGS on the go with me.

The game controls great on the vita. It allows you to switch between analog and d-pad.
It definitely holds up( Don't forget to mash square when standing behind a guard).
You have to transfer the game from ps3 as it is not available in the vita store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom