• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

I went nuts. it was OMG that is BB! OH NOEZ!!!! HIS EYE!!!

i am hoping TPP will be a lot better. Specially with the new direction of the writing. With less words and more emphasis on the delivery. I think it makes a big difference.

We can certainly agree on this point.

C'mon Snaku, I know what the goal was. I just thought it's execution was below MGS standards. Which is to say, it was well executed, but didn't quite reach the bar set by MG2-MGS2. Raiden was the better rookie/pawn.

rookie is poor term to use to describe naked snake, probably an error in translation. dude was a green beret. he was naive in terms of the fact that he blindly followed orders and was outclassed by the boss in battle early on. but he's not a rookie

the translation and voice acting are probably at it's worst in mgs3. but it's still the best mgs to me. the best story and voice acting is mgs1. mgs2 is the one that's overrated on this board *dodges tomatoes*

Skullface

boothisman.gif

Maybe I'm just biased by my Boston roots. I was floored when I realized the Tanker Chapter was an allegory for the Boston Tea Party.

rookie is poor term to use to describe naked snake, probably an error in translation. dude was a green beret. he was naive in terms of the fact that he blindly followed orders and was outclassed by the boss in battle early on. but he's not a rookie

I agree with this point. I know MGS isn't a super cereal, realistic series, but I wasn't sold that this "panty waist" could accomplish much of anything. They went overboard with the rookie angle. The more I express my opinion, the more I realize that my point was not the same as yours. But a green beret shouldn't be as clueless as Big Boss was.

brau

He is not BB epic tho. Different kind of epic. Maybe more reserved? Like with the rerelease of MGS1 in The Twin Snakes. All the flare and addition of making Snake a badass felt out of place. Everything around him is exceptional except for Snake. Which the player can relate a lot more, and feel accomplished after taking on the bad guys.

With MGS3 i felt like BB was a badass. A sort of James Bond with a broken heart turning bad. I find that very interesting.

JayEH

2 is a great piece of art but I think the game part of it is a bit lacking. 3 has the gameplay as well as the story

Skullface

He is not BB epic tho. Different kind of epic. Maybe more reserved? Like with the rerelease of MGS1 in The Twin Snakes. All the flare and addition of making Snake a badass felt out of place. Everything around him is exceptional except for Snake. Which the player can relate a lot more, and feel accomplished after taking on the bad guys.

With MGS3 i felt like BB was a badass. A sort of James Bond with a broken heart turning bad. I find that very interesting.

I really thought they destroyed any semblance of Big Boss' villainy with MGS3. The only glimmer was his sense of betrayal that was shown during the ending. I'm confident they change this with PP.

2 is a great piece of art but I think the game part of it is a bit lacking. 3 has the gameplay as well as the story

It literally took me years after beating MGS2 to truly appreciate the genius behind it's story. I truly don't mean to offend anyone, but MGS3 had one of the most straightforward plots of the series, making most exposition feel tacked on. The exception was the mental gymnastics Kojima played instead of stating that you were playing as Big Boss. By the way, I feel like I was in the minority in having no clue what the fuck was going on until Big Boss lost his eye. Up until that point, I though that Kojima made a James Bond parody using MGS characters. This was cool in the sense that I realized that this wasn't some joke, but a brilliant plot reveal.

So this is for good? they don't go back on it later?

will wait and see. I don't think they will back down. Usually when these big companies make a price error, they deliver on it for good will. It is WalMart though. "Good Will" does not exist in their vocabulary.

kmToQ28.gif

My words and deed.

chM399I.gif

JayEH

I really thought they destroyed any semblance of Big Boss' villainy with MGS3. The only glimmer was his sense of betrayal that was shown during the ending. I'm confident they change this with PP.

It literally took me years after beating MGS2 to truly appreciate the genius behind it's story. I truly don't mean to offend anyone, but MGS3 had one of the most straightforward plots of the series, making most exposition feel tacked on. The exception was the mental gymnastics Kojima played instead of stating that you were playing as Big Boss. By the way, I feel like I was in the minority in having no clue what the fuck was going on until Big Boss lost his eye. Up until that point, I though that Kojima made a James Bond parody using MGS characters. This was cool in the sense that I realized that this wasn't some joke, but a brilliant plot reveal.

I thought that was fairly clear at the time.

I agree with this point. I know MGS isn't a super cereal, realistic series, but I wasn't sold that this "panty waist" could accomplish much of anything. They went overboard with the rookie angle. The more I express my opinion, the more I realize that my point was not the same as yours. But a green beret shouldn't be as clueless as Big Boss was.

i can certainly agree with that point. at least he seemed like a future leader in his interactions with ocelot though

Rajang

I felt the complete opposite.

His origin story kind of ruined the mystery surrounding BB. He wasn't bad ass at all in MGS3. He was the stereotypical anime protagonist: always hungry, very stupid alot of the time, knows everything about 1 particular subject but seems ignorant about everything else.
He was too goofy for me. I only started to like his character after he completed his mission.

I don't think I've been as excited for a game since Wind Waker. Hm. Maybe Brawl. But still, most hyped hype I've ever hyped.

So, like, will you guys let me in your cool club? I want to be a DD, too.

Skullface

I thought that was fairly clear at the time.

I was lucky enough to have been on MGS, heck, videogame hiatus since 2003 at this point. I really didn't know what was going on. Why is Solid Snake now called Naked Snake and is a young man in the 60's? I really didn't get it. Not to mention, I never played MGS3 until '06/'07. I was completely in the dark, and I think that only enhanced my enjoyment of the game as a whole.

JayEH

I don't think I've been as excited for a game since Wind Waker. Hm. Maybe Brawl. But still, most hyped hype I've ever hyped.

So, like, will you guys let me in your cool club? I want to be a DD, too.

You don't need permission bruh (or sis). Everyone is welcome.

There's a link in the OP if you want to add us on different networks.

Rajang

literally took me years after beating MGS2 to truly appreciate the genius behind it's story. I truly don't mean to offend anyone, but MGS3 had one of the most straightforward plots of the series, making most exposition feel tacked on. The exception was the mental gymnastics Kojima played instead of stating that you were playing as Big Boss. By the way, I feel like I was in the minority in having no clue what the fuck was going on until Big Boss lost his eye. Up until that point, I though that Kojima made a James Bond parody using MGS characters. This was cool in the sense that I realized that this wasn't some joke, but a brilliant plot reveal.

MGS3 had a more dumbed down story. This was Kojima's reaction to MGS2's reception. Kojima wanted to make a more simple story so most fans could understand.

Alot of the bosses suddenly didn't have much back story and had almost no impact on the story. The main antogonist (Volgin) is also one of the most one dimensional characters in the series.

The whole game just revolves around his relationship with The Boss (who was nothing more than a plot device) and how succesfully completing his mission would change him as a character and result in the character we knew from Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, MGS1 etc.

I think the difference is you can always be assured Solid Snake is going to be altruistic. He will sacrifice himself for the greater good. Big Boss had a downfall we knew from the beginning, but there was a mystery still to unravel.

But you can't tell me Solid Snake isn't max badass, just play the ending of MGS2. You are a naked, shivering pretty boy and he is back in his tanker suit, with an infinite ammo headband, and an arsenal of guns. He gives you a freaking katana. He's supposed to make you feel weak and lame by comparison because he is the ultimate hero. I think that's pretty epic.

JayEH

I was lucky enough to have been on MGS, heck, videogame hiatus since 2003 at this point. I really didn't know what was going on. Why is Solid Snake now called Naked Snake and is a young man in the 60's? I really didn't get it. Not to mention, I never played MGS3 until '06/'07. I was completely in the dark, and I think that only enhanced my enjoyment of the game as a whole.

Gotcha. I wasn't calling you out or anything (I didn't play it until '09 and had all the information) I was just curious how much info Kojima was giving out. I've seen the MGS3 trailers and I know it said it was taking place in the 60s and was a new Snake but it could have been another clone for all we know.

Gotcha. I wasn't calling you out or anything (I didn't play it until '09 and had all the information) I was just curious how much info Kojima was giving out. I've seen the MGS3 trailers and I know it said it was taking place in the 60s and was a new Snake but it could have been another clone for all we know.

well, they did show him with the eyepatch in trailers, so it was pretty much a known thing that it was big boss. but it was also the assumption prior to those trailers that it was big boss, the moment the 60s was mentioned. besides the crazy theories of solid snake playing VR or big boss, or time-traveling, it was a known thing. kojima knew this too, as that entire scene where he loses his eye there's this tension and teasing of the eye coming out with the boss holding the knife to it and all that.

but i could certainly understand how skullface or someone coming in fresh with basically no prior knowledge could be confused and not know it was big boss. i have friends who didn't know either

MGS3 had a more dumbed down story. This was Kojima's reaction to MGS2's reception. Kojima wanted to make a more simple story so most fans could understand.

Alot of the bosses suddenly didn't have much back story and had almost no impact on the story. The main antogonist (Volgin) is also one of the most one dimensional characters in the series.

The whole game just revolves around his relationship with The Boss (who was nothing more than a plot device) and how succesfully completing his mission would change him as a character and result in the character we knew from Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, MGS1 etc.

i don't necessarily disagree with this. it's too bad the bosses weren't as fleshed out as the prior games. not sure why he didn't flesh out those characters more, MGS1 did it and no one complained about that game's story

JayEH

well, they did show him with the eyepatch in trailers, so it was pretty much a known thing that it was big boss. but it was also the assumption prior to those trailers that it was big boss, the moment the 60s was mentioned. besides the crazy theories of solid snake playing VR or big boss, or time-traveling, it was a known thing. kojima knew this too, as that entire scene there's this tension and teasing of the eye coming out with the boss holding the knife to it and all that.

but i could certainly understand how skullface or someone coming in fresh with basically no prior knowledge could be confused and no know it was big boss. i have friends who didn't know either

I've read some old GameFAQs threads on the VR stuff...

PythonSelkan has always existed in some form or another when it comes to metal gear.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

Big Boss in MGS3 is an amazing soldier, manages to take out the legendary unit that ended WW2, plus sneaks into enemy territory and defeats both Volgin and the Shagohod. His main problem is that he still doesn't fully get or tries to understand the politics behind the battlefield, he just blindly follows orders. Which is why The Boss' fake betrayal and Eva's backstabbing both hurt him and make him change his world view.

JayEH

has anyone ever offered up a theory on the name "ground zeroes?" why is the game called that?

Big Boss and Kaz loses mother base, chico loses paz, Skullface begins all out assault, huey betraying, etc.

Sets everything up for TPP and there's mutliple sources for the conflict for each character. Events in ground zeroes are basis for all the revenge.

has anyone ever offered up a theory on the name "ground zeroes?" why is the game called that?

Kojima said that the prologue was to do with the ground zero of characters like Snake and Kaz. Meaning that at the end of GZ, they are utterly destroyed, reduced to a blank state. In TPP, they have new beliefs, motivations, personalities, etc. So they're like new characters.

Kojima said that the prologue was to do with the ground zero of characters like Snake and Kaz. Meaning that at the end of GZ, they are utterly destroyed, reduced to a blank state. In TPP, they have new beliefs, motivations, personalities, etc. So they're like new characters.

ahhh, cool thanks

Toparaman

Banned
I stand by my statement about MGS3. The cheese was cranked from 8(MGS2) to 11, too many superfluous characters, and they made Big Boss look like a tactless bafoon... I don't know. I still love the game, but it feels off, even when compared to Peace Walker.

Nothing in MGS3 is as cheesy as the Rose conversations in 2.

JayEH

Movie corner "2014 Best 10" announcement other - January 22 (Thursday) 20:00 "Kojima station" 32nd The 32nd, "MGSV: TPP" production camera enters the advances in Kojima Productions, the state of the production site, I will deliver only slightly. In addition, Kojima in to introduce the movie topic "movie corner", and welcomed the Kenji Yano's KADOKAWA, each of Beth from the movie of the 2014 theatrical release

Nothing about sneak peek of TGS.

Who'd like to join the "2015 Taipei Game Show Hype Rex"?

ypurilyl.png

I like your photoshop skills. I'll join the Hype Rex.

JayEH

It says "I will deliver slightly". Correct translation is obviously "I will show little" of what's to come thus a sneak peek. It's on you. Anything that happens is on you. You gave us yet another hope to hold onto.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

TheBoss1

Hai Lady when up against Donna Burke and Stefanie Joosten:
vince-carter-olympic-dunk-o.gif
Best dunker ever?
Donna burke when up against Stefanie and Hai Lady:

iverson3_medium.gif
Most favorite player ever!
"And he STEPS OVER Tyronn Lue!"
I think the difference is you can always be assured Solid Snake is going to be altruistic. He will sacrifice himself for the greater good. Big Boss had a downfall we knew from the beginning, but there was a mystery still to unravel.

But you can't tell me Solid Snake isn't max badass, just play the ending of MGS2. You are a naked, shivering pretty boy and he is back in his tanker suit, with an infinite ammo headband, and an arsenal of guns. He gives you a freaking katana. He's supposed to make you feel weak and lame by comparison because he is the ultimate hero. I think that's pretty epic.
Even though I wish we could play as Solid Snake, I love the fact that we get to see him from another perspective.

One thing I don't hear often is how awesome the battle with the Arsenal Tengus was. I loved this little section so much not only because we get to kick some ass with the sword, but we also fight alongside the legend we have grown to love. This, in my perspective, only solidified his legendary status among video game icons for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom