• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajang

Which is why my theory is that Mantis guides Big Boss to safety which is where Ocelot is waiting for him.

Then why is he shooting those hallucinations? Why wouldn't Psycho Mantis just stop when he is outside? Also we see a huge wale devouring a chopper. The chopper obviously symbolises the chopper they are in at the end of GZ and the whale symbolizes Zero.

Batzi

Banned
I definitely can't rule this out. It's just that one scene from the GDC '13 trailer that throws me off. BB and Ocelot on horseback being chased by fire and the flaming unicorn.

He's taking down a chopper here. Possibly a XOF chopper. The take down is depicted as a whale eating it though. If Big Boss is Ahab and Moby Dick eats that chopper than that chopper is Ahab's ship meaning that Mantis destroyed the ship (chopper) that Ahab was suppose to be on. Wait a minute...

metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-gdc-2013-trailer-psycho-mantis.jpg

Vally

Do you guys like the single shot format for MGS V? I like it for the most part but I feel like it could limit our perspective.

I love it because it actually takes advantage of the medium and do things that couldn't be done if it was a movie. It could limit our perspective yeah, but I really like what we've seen so far

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Imagine if MGS4 had a 4th wall moment where to win the game you would press the PS button on the controller and select Turn Off the "System"

He's taking down a chopper here. Possibly a XOF chopper. The take down is depicted as a whale eating it though. If Big Boss is Ahab and Moby Dick eats that chopper than that chopper is Ahab's ship meaning that Mantis destroyed the ship (chopper) that Ahab was suppose to be on. Wait a minute...

Wait a second. Are you telling me that DARPA Chief was Decoy Octopus all along?!

They did have a fourth wall moment. PS3 is too strong.

That scene turned one of my favorite moments in gaming history into a really sad, D-tier joke. I at least wish it had been funny. -_-

sexyelder

The real Big Boss is on that chopper? Or is Big Boss not Ahab? Kaz?

Rajang

Yeah very interesting. Now that we all agree that my theory is canon let me ask you what your top 5 favorite games are of last gen.

I'll let you guys go first.

-Deimos

What's a full game here? I get your point with GZ, but PW arguable has more content than any MGS game to date.

It's subjective and to me its a quality > quantity issue. PW is a good game but to me it was just an improved PO. Basically a huge collection of small boring missions. Me not giving a shit about the story probably has something to do with it too.

Batzi

Banned
Then why is he shooting those hallucinations? Why wouldn't Psycho Mantis just stop when he is outside? Also we see a huge wale devouring a chopper. The chopper obviously symbolises the chopper they are in at the end of GZ and the whale symbolizes Zero.
You're still assuming that Zero was behind the attack on Mother Base because of his alliance with Skull Face which has not been confirmed yet either.

Yeah very interesting. Now that we all agree that my theory is canon let me ask you what your top 5 favorite games are of last gen.

5 - Demon souls

4 - Metal gear rising

3 - Fallout 3

2 - Red dead redemption

1 - The Last Of Us

It's subjective and to me its a quality > quantity issue. PW is a good game but to me it was just an improved PO. Basically a huge collection of small boring missions. Me not giving a shit about the story probably has something to do with it too.
Shit man, I hope you brought flame retardant.

Dark Souls, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, MGS4.

JayEH

In no particular order: Mass Effect 2, Dark Souls, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, MGS4.

Last of Us, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, MGS4

Man, I looked at a list of the "Fans Top 100" and holy shit did I not play much last gen. It was an era of reading news, not playing. At least I'm actively playing a bit more now.

Rean

Not in any order

1. Halo 3

2. Fallout 3

3. Assassin's Creed 2

4. MGS4

5.Dark Souls
Power of the Cell Processor.

My friends at lunch told me PS3 will be as powerful as a supercomputer.
Yea I heard my professor say something like that a couple weeks ago. Its something about putting a whole bunch of PS3s together or something.

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Well, never mind. It's not a full game.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Awesome closing to Solid Snake's arc with stealth gameplay unmatched to this day.

3. Catherine
Took me by complete surprise. Had never played a game from the Holy Trinity (Katsura Hashino, Shigenori Soejima and Shoji Meguro), and they instantly became my favorite studio alongside Kojima Productions, as I was inspired by Catherine to play their other classics such as Persona 3 and Persona 4.

4. Mass Effect
Deep story driven by player choice with awesome gameplay - including fairly in-depth customization.

5. Mass Effect 2
Took me a little while to adjust, as I was expecting gameplay more in line with ME1. More combat-focused than exploration-focused, so that's why I give the slight edge to ME1. That said, what a game. Paragon and Renegade actions took the story-telling to a new level.

Sub_Level

Wipeout HD
Fallout New Vegas
Valkyria Chronicles
Dark Souls
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (I'm not joking or trying to be cute)

I'll put myself out there as well I guess. I thought the PW story was pretty bad and uninteresting. I also hated that all the bosses were AI, no personality. Not memorable at all. The Zeke battle at the end was also cringe-worthy.

That being said I did love all the mother base features. The whole time though I kept thinking "Damn if only they would go all out on this MB thing on consoles". And here we are!

I thought PW was boring as fuck. There.

Eh I don't see why that'd be a shocking thing. I always felt the game was pretty divisive.

Peace Walker definitely had a ton of content but didn't really put all of it together in any meaningful or exciting way, especially if you primarily played solo. There were no real stand out moments for me, no water cooler or "oh snap" moments since I felt Paz's arc wasn't really earned. She was a complete background face until that sudden turn of events that only happened by chance for me anyway (unlocking the real ending).

I don't think it's a terrible game, and I had some fun spots, but overall it definitely does not punch in the same weight class as the other games. Obviously, just my opinion! Like I said, I still did enjoy it.

No particular order:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
MGS 4

EDIT: Mass Effect 2 has to be in there, but I can't choose which to get rid of, so top 6 it is!

Shy

on the whole mantis situation.

mantis is helping helping ocelot, who is helping BB.
because ocelot found and took him in while BB was in his coma.

that's why he's there, not because he knows who big boss is, but because he's just helping ocelot.

Rajang

Awesome lists, guys.

I have trouble ranking games, but here goes.

5. Mass Effect
4. Peace Walker HD
3. Demon's Souls
2. The Last of Us
1. Fallout: New Vegas

I thought PW was boring as fuck. There.

Okay, that's your opinion. Nothing wrong with disliking an installment but saying it is not a full game is nonsense. Kojima got his mojo back with PW and created one of the most ambitious handheld games ever made.

Sub_Level

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

For some reason I always forget Human Revolution. Fantastic game and one of the best turnarounds in reception I've seen. When the first teaser came out people were totally harsh on it, much less when gameplay footage released and it showed highlights of all the important items in the world. But it ended up turnout out be really good. edit because English is hard: But it ended up turning out really good.

1. Fallout: New Vegas

Patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for spurs that jingle jangle jingle.

JayEH

Hope not, I dont want every Metal Gear after to be dark and depressing. I love the tone of TPP but I dont want it to be the norm of the series from now on.

I thought we were talking about game set up? TPP's gameplay structure is easily replicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom