• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

MGS2 has a much more interesting meaning and meta shit, but MGS3 is easily the better game despite smaller issues.

I don't know bro. MGS3 is arguably the better game, but not easily. I'm of the opinion that 2 is the better game. I'm not a huge fan of the MGS3 plot. That survival screen breaking up the action was terrible. Gameplay wise they're near identical, the only real differences being the camo index, radar, and health mechanic.

These items are the only things that I can see swaying someone's opinion over which is the better game:

Story
Setting
Main protagonist
The minor gameplay tweaks

not if you're good.
leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Joking aside I actually like all the survival things about 3. Sure it could have been tidied up a bit but I still find it fun and unique.

And if we're nitpicking, MGS2 has cutscenes that are constantly stopping your action :p

I never really liked the pacing of MGS3's cutscenes so I was bothered by them stopping the action more than MGS2. Really, they're all amazing games though. MGS3 just kinda disappointed me at the time.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Played TTS a couple of weeks ago, just double dipped and got the HD collection for PS3 (360 is broken), time to do 2. I'm thinking about going for dog tags, are there any that are easy to miss (weird spawns etc)?

JayEH

Played TTS a couple of weeks ago, just double dipped and got the HD collection for PS3 (360 is broken), time to do 2. I'm thinking about going for dog tags, are there any that are easy to miss (weird spawns etc)?

I just recommend using a guide if you're going for all the dog tags.

I never really liked the pacing of MGS3's cutscenes so I was bothered by them stopping the action more than MGS2. Really, they're all amazing games though. MGS3 just kinda disappointed me at the time.

i'm confused by this. mgs3 has longer gameplay stretches than any of the other mainline mgs games. 2 and 4 are basically long movies for the last few hours of the game(s)

Rajang

MGS2 has a much more interesting meaning and meta shit, but MGS3 is easily the better game despite smaller issues.

You spend too much time in MGS3 switching between menus and crawling on your stomach. MGS2 is the best.

I think MGS3 is one of the best paced MGS games. MGS3 had a very dissapointing plot though and going into the menu every single time for the injury, food and camouflage was fucking awful. They also dumbed down the A.I significantly in MGS3. And the survival stuff was not well implemented. Sounds good on paper but the animals just circle around endlesly in a square meter, woooow so exciting.

Rean

I never really understood why Smash is always rated so high. Maybe it's because I'm not that much of a fighter fan. Still, Melee was probably one of my most played GC titles but I would never put it over MGS2 & MGS3. Smash Bros is an excellent game with a lot of characters and polish, but that's all there is to me. Great fun with friends, but I just don't see it as Game of The Generation material.
Yea, seeing Melee over all of those games is the most shocking thing on that list. I don't think it should've won best fighter either.

I think MGS3 is one of the best paced MGS games. MGS3 had a very dissapointing plot though and going into the menu every single time for the injury, food and camouflage was fucking awful. They also dumbed down the A.I significantly in MGS3. And the survival stuff was not well implemented. Sounds good on paper but the animals just circle around endlesly in a square meter, woooow so exciting.

Man, i remember kojima saying the enemies would patrol areas in groups and shit like that. It sounded like it was going to be very much like what we're seeing with TPP. Everything was supposed to be so much more dynamic than it Turned out to be. Same thing with mgs4. Both games had a much grander design in mind. And they just couldn't pull it off without tossing everything out and developing the fox engine. Mgsv is basically the first time kojima can actually make the game he has conceived in his head without tons of technical barriers

Dawg

There is.

None. As I am going to request a ban aswell with my second active account.

I just PM'ed duckroll because bish seems not to be going only today.

CC NO

I'm just going to miss you, why does all of this has to happen to my favourite community ;_;

JayEH

Kojima hyped up the two warring factions for MGS4 too. Said you would influence the battle. That wasn't true...

Guys why are you asking for bans I don't get this???

I don't know the reason from others. I only know my reason.

But... I though it was at least a few weeks off.

I'm glad I've been able to share stories with you, at least. You'll always... always be a part of my memories :(

Yeah. Sorry, I changed my mind, it's better now.

Don't get too sentimental now... If you still have my last PM, then you probably should read it again.

MajorTom

I don't know the reason from others. I only know my reason.

Yeah. Sorry, I changed my mind, it's better now.

Don't get too sentimental now... If you still have my last PM, then you probably should read it again.
Just so everyone knows, you aren't killing yourself are you? Some of your posts have kinda made me think you will.

Don't do it

In my opinion, 3 is the better game mechanically, but 2 is still my favorite. I just love the setting, the postmodernist themes, and even the characters. The only memorable character from MGS3 for me was The Boss. Young Ocelot was cool, but the terrible VA was hard to ignore. In fact, I felt much of the VA in 3 was bad outside of Snake and The Boss.

Edit: We were on a roll guys, lets stay on topic. This daily CC derail gets rather tiresome...

JayEH

In my opinion, 3 is the better game mechanically, but 2 is still my favorite. I just love the setting, the postmodernist themes, and even the characters. The only memorable character from MGS3 for me was The Boss. Young Ocelot was cool, but the terrible VA was hard to ignore. In fact, I felt much of the VA in 3 was bad outside of Snake and The Boss.

Edit: We were on a roll guys, lets stay on topic. This daily CC derail gets rather tiresome...

just making sure he isn't doing anything stupid.

LowParry

Anywho, I agree on the MGS2 > MGS3

Best bosses:

Fatman
Vamp
Fortune
Solidus Snake

And we had the whole Tengus soldiers, fought a harrier, and of course Meta Gear Rays (though the best fight with Ray is with Rising. Rules of natuuuuure!).

JayEH

Best bosses:

Fatman
Vamp
Fortune
Solidus Snake

And we had the whole Tengus soldiers, fought a harrier, and of course Meta Gear Rays (though the best fight with Ray is with Rising. Rules of natuuuuure!).

But MGS3 has the greatest boss fight in any video game.

Dawg

remember: metal gear rising is canon according to mgs-gaf

batzi and infinity patriot always talk shit, but i know they secretly voted "yes"

MattyG

Banned

Best bosses:

Fatman
Vamp
Fortune
Solidus Snake

No.

The End > all MGS2 bosses combined into one big broke-ass Voltron looking boss.

I do love Fatman though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom