• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Banned
Ya'll didn't even know I got banned, did you?

21-P3P-00130.png

Is Dawg ever coming back? ;__;

Also, is there a current list of MGS Community members at all? Could I be added to MGSGAF?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
A petition..? Cmon guys you know better than that.. its just spam/ click-baiting. These Corporate decisions are not made for no reason. Especially in this case, nobody at Konami management gives a shit about a petition

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-03-2202_31_12-kogjsh2.png

Åesop;156905179 said:
A petition.. more like spam/ click-baiting. Corporate decisions like that are not made for no reason. Especially in this case, nobody at Konami management gives a shit about a petition

Just sign the damn thing and shut up.
smugomswa.png

Rajang

Åesop;156905179 said:
A petition.. more like spam/ click-baiting. Corporate decisions like that are not made for no reason. Especially in this case, nobody at Konami management gives a shit about a petition

I don't care, we have to try.

Palpable

Sorry. :(

Why'd you get banned. ?

No, what happened?

My cousin and I both have accounts. We both got banned at the same time because an admin thought we were alt accounts for the same person. Dunno why this happened, but my only guess is that he used a sub-email account of mine since he didn't have a paid email address at the time. Why this came up now, I do not know, because we've been members for over a year. At least one of the admins was courteous enough to hear me out and unban us.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
My cousin and I both have accounts. We both got banned at the same time because an admin thought we were alt accounts for the same person. Dunno why this happened, but my only guess is that he used a sub-email account of mine since he didn't have a paid email address at the time. Why this came up now, I do not know, because we've been members for over a year. At least one of the admins was courteous enough to hear me out and unban us.

"Your cousin" huh? I believe you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

Furyous

Can someone explain to me the significance of Kojima leaving Konami? Does Kojipro keep the engine? Depending upon how they handle this situation then I won't digitally preorder MGS V. This was a Day One purchase but Konami's handled this the wrong way and turned me off.

Shy

Can someone explain to me the significance of Kojima leaving Konami? Does Kojipro keep the engine? Depending upon how they handle this situation then I won't digitally preorder MGS V. This was a Day One purchase but Konami's handled this the wrong way and turned me off.
No, konami owns the fox engine.

Apart for kojipro being disbanded, i don't think anyone knows the full ramifications for Kojima leaving (probably fired) yet.

Rajang

Kojima Productions is not a seperate studio. It's more of an internal studio of Konami. Konami owns everything (FOX Engine, Metal Gear name etc).

Rajang

I am keeping my CE preorder just to support the game, I believe in Hideo Kojima.

Yeah, me too.

I have no doubt that MGSV wll be a fantastic game. I'm just so incredibly down on what happened to Kojima. How this whole situation affects him personally. His name being removed from his life's work even from the website and promotional material for MGSV. Kojima literally becoming an "unperson" by the hand of a totalitarian publisher.

All this news with Konami and Kojima came out so suddenly i'm still kind of in shock.

I'll be treating MGS5 as the official finale for the series regardless of whether Konami starts cranking more out.

I don't think any other future releases will have the amount of polish and ambition of any of Kojima's games.

But on the bright side. At least Kojima can start making something different. I'm really excited to see what he cooks up next.

Skullface

To be fair, it's a shitty trope to pull and I don't think the game needed it.

So this is what gets me, shocking plot point immediately = trope?

The Hills Have Eyes has a rape scene to show the savagery of the mutants. GZ has a strange "make prisoner A rape prisoner B" as a means of torture scene. They are the same trope?

To be fair, it's a shitty trope to pull and I don't think the game needed it.

A villain who's part of his core skill-set is 'breaking' people, and no rape was involved for a girl?

Sure, the game didn't need it, but at that stage, you'd be avoiding 'rape' just for the sake of avoiding it.

Plus it was plenty established in Peace Walker than Chico has a crush on Paz, so rape makes even more sense in that context, because it breaks Chico, perhaps even more so than it actually breaks Paz. (because Paz is a trained spy)

It's a lot more important for a story to be respectful to the foundation it set up for its characters, and it'd be a lot more baffling to me if Skullface avoided using rape as a torture-tool/mind-breaking tool for Chico/Paz out of some plot device of "oh, I'm not going to use rape, because."

Skullface

A villain who's part of his core skill-set is 'breaking' people, and no rape was involved for a girl?

Sure, the game didn't need it, but at that stage, you'd be avoiding 'rape' just for the sake of avoiding it.

Plus it was plenty established in Peace Walker than Chico has a crush on Paz, so rape makes even more sense in that context, because it breaks Chico, perhaps even more so than it actually breaks Paz. (because Paz is a trained spy)

It's a lot more important for a story to be respectful to the foundation it set up for its characters, and it'd be a lot more baffling to me if Skullface avoided using rape as a torture-tool/mind-breaking tool for Chico/Paz out of some plot device of "oh, I'm not going to use rape, because."

Dude, enough. Opto obviously knows better than Kojima.

Opto

Banned

Well I need to lie down after reading that.

Well I need to lie down after reading that.

What's wrong with what I said?

Functionally speaking, from a torture point-of-view, sexual torture is just as valid a method of physical torture, torturing a loved one in front of them, threats, etc.

Skullface wasn't established to have some sort of 'morality high-ground' against sexual torture. In the toolsets of making someone suffer, the harsh reality is that rape is a real thing.

If anything, why should sexual torture be given 'special treatment' compared to other torture methods? Why is rape somehow so much more offensive and needs a "oh, we can't use this storytelling device!"

Opto

Banned
Not sure why it's blasphemous to say "Okay Kojima, you make some great military otaku-level video game material with some pretty great sequences both in respect to cutscenes and gameplay, but your research on feminist media studies leaves a bit to be desired."

Not sure why it's blasphemous to say "Okay Kojima, you make some great military otaku-level video game material with some pretty great sequences both in respect to cutscenes and gameplay, but your research on feminist media studies leaves a bit to be desired."

It's not blasphemous, I'm asking what's wrong with it.

I'm not thinking from a 'feminist' point of view, I'm thinking from a storytelling perspective of "why would an expert torturer known to use all available tools of breaking human beings avoid using sexual torture?"

Opto

Banned
It's not blasphemous, I'm asking what's wrong with it.

I'm not thinking from a 'feminist' point of view, I'm thinking from a storytelling perspective of "why would an expert torturer known to use all available tools of breaking human beings avoid using sexual torture?"

Other than it not actually working?

But it did work since Chico and Paz told Skullface everything that he wanted.

Also, torture is also about stripping away your physical and mental defenses piece-by-piece. Just because physical/sexual/mental/etc torture isn't what broke any individual is only one part of the equation.

What broke Paz wasn't sexual or physical torture, but rather the honeybee of "betraying Zero will/might save Big Boss." But it's very obvious the only reason she even bought into Skullface's bullshit was because she was extremely drained both physical and mentally through the long torture sessions she had, to the extent where whatever loyalty she had to Zero was pretty much cracked at that point, and she's only sustaining herself off her emotions and her happy memories of Mother Base.

There's a reason why fiction with torture has the victims enduring many, many, multiple rounds of torture. MGS itself is an example of this, where Ocelot repeatedly tortured Snake in order to slowly break him. He didn't somehow stop it just because it didn't work.

I mean in reality

What reality are you speaking of? In terms of portraying the 'underlying message/theme?'

It's just... something that happened. Chico went through torture. Paz went through torture. Both of them suffered, and it's simply-a-matter-of-fact.

Yeah, me too.

I have no doubt that MGSV wll be a fantastic game. I'm just so incredibly down on what happened to Kojima. How this whole situation affects him personally. His name being removed from his life's work even from the website and promotional material for MGSV. Kojima literally becoming an "unperson" by the hand of a totalitarian publisher.

It's a load of tripe, and I've been pretty shaken by it too.

Also, my bong broke so shit week all in all. Although I get to pick up Bloodborne early on Monday.

I mean in reality

Also, as someone who writes his own stories in his spare time, I will say that just because a message that you want to get out in reality isn't working, that is no excuse to remove it from your story if it betrays the character and world.

The most important piece of any fiction isn't the 'reality' of it, but rather the 'fiction' of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom