• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Belgian fansite metalgearsolid.be has provided a translation of the few lines we can see on the paper. The dialogue recorded is for various radio communications. The text on the paper reads (translated from French to English, so obviously it may differ from the official script):

Explaining to the player that attacking will have no effect
10001/Miller – “Boss, any attack is useless!” (column 1502)
10002/Ocelot – “Stop! It serves no purpose!” (column 1502)

I love this already, maybe some kind of boss that we have to find out first how to damage him.

JayEH

So I've been continuing my watch of Japanese footage from Ground Zeroes and TPP and I found something interesting (to me).

As we all know, this is the first time that the English voice acting isn't a dub and in fact it's the Japanese voices which are being dubbed over the English voices. This seems to be due in large part to getting Kiefer Sutherland as Snake. But I noticed something as I was watching the original Ground Zeroes showing at PAX Prime 2012 (which was in Japanese).

Here is the "Keep you waiting, huh?" line in the original showing. Which is 待たせたな "mataseta na" in Japanese.

In the gif below you can see Akio Otsuka say the line which is synced to the Japanese line.
ywWelZ.gif

Here's the line again in the retail Japanese copy. You can see here that the lips are saying "Kept you waiting huh?" and not mataseta na.
KYkEZN.gif

I guess the decision to facial capture English wasn't made at the time or maybe Sutherland wasn't cast yet? I know it's dumb but its just something I thought stood out.

Dawg

Belgian fansite metalgearsolid.be has provided a translation of the few lines we can see on the paper. The dialogue recorded is for various radio communications. The text on the paper reads (translated from French to English, so obviously it may differ from the official script):

There's a Belgian fansite?

So I've been continuing my watch of Japanese footage from Ground Zeroes and TPP and I found something interesting (to me).

As we all know, this is the first time that the English voice acting isn't a dub and in fact it's the Japanese voices which are being dubbed over the English voices. This seems to be due in large part to getting Kiefer Sutherland as Snake. But I noticed something as I was watching the original Ground Zeroes showing at PAX Prime 2012 (which was in Japanese).

Here is the "Keep you waiting, huh?" line in the original showing. Which is 待たせたな "mataseta na" in Japanese.

In the gif below you can see Akio Otsuka say the line which is synced to the Japanese line.
ywWelZ.gif

Here's the line again in the retail Japanese copy. You can see here that the lips are saying "Kept you waiting huh?" and not mataseta na.
KYkEZN.gif

I guess the decision to facial capture English wasn't made at the time or maybe Sutherland wasn't cast yet? I know it's dumb but its just something I thought stood out.

Actually, I brought that up in early MGSV threads. But everyone ignored me because creds weren't real. ;_; But seriously, it looked like they just hadn't added in the facial capture data from Sutherland. I think the facial capture seen in the PAX East 2012 demo was simply from the actor who performs the full body scan or
David Hayter
! They had to have had Kiefer's facial data somewhere I'm sure, but maybe not ready to implement into a game demo/build? Because we hear him for the first time at the VGAs. It's kinda weird, I guess, but when I sound out "Kept you waiting, huh?", it matches fine.

Rean

Actually, I brought that up in early MGSV threads. But everyone ignored me because creds weren't real. ;_; But seriously, it looked like they just hadn't added in the facial capture data from Sutherland. I think the facial capture seen in the PAX East 2012 demo was simply from the actor who performs the full body scan or
David Hayter
! They had to have had Kiefer's facial data somewhere I'm sure, but maybe not ready to implement into a game demo/build? Because we hear him for the first time at the VGAs. It's kinda weird, I guess, but when I sound out "Kept you waiting, huh?", it matches fine.
Your N4G check is in the mail LD.

Rean

I love this already, maybe some kind of boss that we have to found out first how to damage him.
Metal Gear...

MajorTom

ywWelZ.gif

KYkEZN.gif

To me it kinda looks like he is still saying "Kept you waiting, huh?". however, it does look like the facial animation is more wooden....almost hand animated as opposed to the performance captured version in the final version which looks a lot smoother and realistic. I am no animation expert though so i have no idea.
Very strange. Like you said though, perhaps Sutherland wasn't cast at the time.

JayEH

David Hayter

It's just weird that they would go through the trouble of animating the faces for Japanese when the English voices are supposed to be first. In fact it's wierd that they showed a Japanese trailer first but I guess they might not have wanted to deal with the Hayter blowback.

Anyway, I've already received my checks. I didn't know you could have that many 0's on a check damn. Thanks for the idea since I stole your research! Ha, hahaha, ha.

ywWelZ.gif

KYkEZN.gif

i've said this before, but i don't think sutherland was performance captured for ground zeroes. he has like 20 lines and the only time they clearly show his face at all during any of them is just this one. seems like a waste to have dude in there performance capturing and then conveniently keep the camera away from his face so much. the animation seen here leads me to believe my assumption is correct...

To me it kinda looks like he is still saying "Kept you waiting, huh?". however, it does look like the facial animation is more wooden....almost hand animated as opposed to the performance captured version in the final version which looks a lot smoother and realistic. I am no animation expert though so i have no idea.
Very strange. Like you said though, perhaps Sutherland wasn't cast at the time.

i disagree. i think the animation looks way better in the first gif (independent of it matching the spoken word) his cheeks and the skin below his eye move in a more realistic manner, the actual we got looks like someone on some heavy botox whose face doesn't move all that much when they speak, which is why, as i've said before, i think it's hand-animated. not sure why it was changed for the japanese version though. maybe they had to change the character model and the old animation didn't fit

It's just weird that they would go through the trouble of animating the faces for Japanese when the English voices are supposed to be first. In fact it's wierd that they showed a Japanese trailer first but I guess they might not have wanted to deal with the Hayter blowback.

Anyway, I've already received my checks. I didn't know you could have that many 0's on a check damn. Thanks for the idea since I stole your research! Ha, hahaha, ha.

Yo, Jay, what the shit?

I still believe it's Hayter and we hear him in TPP.

MajorTom

i disagree. i think the animation looks way better in the first gif (independent of it matching the spoken word) his cheeks and the skin below his eye move in a more realistic manner, the actual we got looks like someone on some heavy botox whose face doesn't move all that much when they speak, which is why, as i've said before, i think it's hand-animated. not sure why it was changed for the japanese version though. maybe they had to change the character model and the old animation didn't fit

I have just watched the two gifs for a little longer. i have to say that i agree with you. The animation is way better and more realistic in the first one. I even recorded a quick video of myself saying the line for reference haha. My face moves way more like the first one than the second one. Maybe Sutherland's face doesnt move as much when he talks.

JayEH

i've said this before, but i don't think sutherland was performance captured for ground zeroes. he has like 20 lines and the only time they clearly show his face at all during any of them is just this one. seems like a waste to have dude in there performance capturing and then conveniently keep the camera away from his face so much. the animation seen here leads me to believe my assumption is correct...

Looks like he was.

http://youtu.be/-pqP9DSMGEQ?t=2m56s

I have just watched the two gifs for a little longer. i have to say that i agree with you. The animation is way better and more realistic in the first one. I even recorded a quick video of myself saying the line for reference haha. My face moves way more like the first one than the second one. Maybe Sutherland's face doesnt move as much when he talks.

You can see him in the video. That first gif has a lot of detail in it for them to just throw away.

ywWelZ.gif

The PAX trailer was also the 25th anniversary event, right? As the story goes Kojima only got the idea to cast Kiefer Sutherland when Avi Arad had suggested it to him during the 25th anniversary event. So this trailer would have been before Kiefer was around and they were just doing tests, yeah, as it was shown at the same event Avi Arad recommended Kiefer.

I think I even remember Hayter tweeting something about GZ at the time like "What a cool, photorealistic trailer" :( He had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Edit: Yeah, here...

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/242065211819966465

JayEH

The PAX trailer was also the 25th anniversary event, right? As the story goes Kojima only got the idea to cast Kiefer Sutherland when Avi Arad had suggested it to him during the 25th anniversary event. So this trailer would have been before Kiefer was around and they were just doing tests, yeah, as it was shown at the same event Avi Arad recommended Kiefer.

I think I even remember Hayter tweeting something about GZ at the time like "What a cool, photorealistic trailer" :( He had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Edit: Yeah, here...

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/242065211819966465

Damn, didn't even see that tweet :( He really got caught off guard. I guess people should direct their hate to Arad not Kojima.

Anyway another mystery solved by Detective Gaf!

Looks like he was.

http://youtu.be/-pqP9DSMGEQ?t=2m56s

You can see him in the video. That first gif has a lot of detail in it for them to just throw away.

i stand corrected...

like someone on some heavy botox whose face doesn't move all that much when they speak

sounds about right then i guess!

Skullface

They are teasing us way too much now :(
MGO is clearly in a playable state though so maybe its pretty close :)
Has it been confirmed that MGO is releasing alongside TPP? or will it be released later?

It's been stated that the intention is to release them together, but nothing is guaranteed.

I have no idea. I don't even remember this. XD

Hahahahaha! :lol Dude, I saw a post I directed at Batzi in that thread in which I was like "Batzi, you don't have all the answers and neither do we. You aren't above other Metal Gear fans." (Paraphrasing, bit that's the gist. LOL!!!! How wrong I was. Batzi da insider.)

Perfect!

Don't worry, you're invited to TPP cancellation party.
leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Anyway glad to know I wasn't the only one to notice that. Great minds think a like I guess!

:smugface: intensifhais

Hahaha! We're fuckin' geniuses, bruh!

Rajang

Hahahahaha!

Turned it into a fancy gif.

u5aukbyb.gif

lol awesome. Will be using this gif for sure.

Thanks Cipher Cat :>

That's not a devkit on the desk btw. Devkits are double the size of a normal PS4 and have a different color.

TPP theme'd PS4 confirmed

sexyelder

Something is gunna happen soon, I feel it in my bone marrow! If they are gunna release anything now is the time! Kojima would reveal the release date especially soon because it is already set in stone, he needs to anounce it himself before someone leaks it!

Hahahahaha! :lol Dude, I saw a post I directed at Batzi in that thread in which I was like "Batzi, you don't have all the answers and neither do we. You aren't above other Metal Gear fans." (Paraphrasing, bit that's the gist. LOL!!!! How wrong I was. Batzi da insider.)

Hahaha oh Batzi :p

Regarding Hayter, well, I'm on Team B now. :(

Damn, didn't even see that tweet :( He really got caught off guard. I guess people should direct their hate to Arad not Kojima.

Anyway another mystery solved by Detective Gaf!
What I never understood was that if this was done so early (before they'd even had the discussions about Kiefer) and was lip synced in Japanese, why does the script have like... zero changes? The subtitles we got for the PAX trailer is the exact same dialogue actually spoken by Kiefer, Downes and company in the final english version. They didn't rewrite the script or change a single word once they made the switch up to english as the default language, it's no wonder that cutscene had mixed reactions when they first uploaded the english dub.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE MAIN THEME OF MGSV OMG!

All main themes from HGW were so amazing... MGS2, MGS3, MGS4!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom