• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

Now we just gotta hope all these Japanese sell in Japan lol. I think MGSV and P5 will do well mainly because they're on PS3 but I'm worried FFXV will bomb there. Seeing that news about tri-Ace yesterday was sad. RIP/

Honeslty P5, MGSV, SFV, and FFXV are my most anticipated this year. Hell, I'm excited for FFXV more than Batman and Uncharted and I only played 1 other FF game.

FFXV is confirmed 2025.

Of my top 10 anticipated for 2015,

6 are Japanese
2 are British
1 is Polish
1 is American

Where my Western/American games at yo? Maybe it just says something more about my tastes.

Now we just gotta hope all these Japanese sell in Japan lol. I think MGSV and P5 will do well mainly because they're on PS3 but I'm worried FFXV will bomb there. Seeing that news about tri-Ace yesterday was sad. RIP/

I'm torn. Honestly, before the Persona 5 trailer was released, I figured P5 would be Atlus' last home console release. After the trailer brought in so much attention, I think there may still be a home for their games, yet. Persona 5 will have to do really well, though. Otherwise, I think they'll move onto mobile and shift their focus a bit. Kojima isn't ever going to go mobile, though. His projects are always way too demanding for anything other than console/PC. And who knows what the hell Square wants to do.

Dawg

We have a lot of catching up to do to Japan. Here, we just come out with these same, stale ass games. "Oh, unlikable protagonist who I'm supposed to be rooting for but really can't but I'm just missing out on something beyond the surface. Ok, well guess I'll shoot everything in sight. The end." These Japanese games coming out this year (and next) are going to shit all over the western-based games from the highest plateau. MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5. These games all have swag through the fucking roof. The know what they are, and they aren't apologetic about it. And that's the kind of shit I want. I don't care - good, bad, whatever - I want something new, something blue. Fresh experiences that I can't get elsewhere. Metal Gear: What game out there is going to give me a crazy deep storyline with badass characters, sweet tunes, photorealistic visuals AND strap a balloon to a dude and tell him that he's one of the good guys now. Persona: What game is going to let me play as Harry Potter? Final Fantasy: Where else am I going to find a game with as big and fantastical a world with on-the-fly battles that have the potential surpass the systems implemented in some of the best ARPGs the industry has ever seen? Japan's biggest and most iconic titles are getting their grove back and are going to be hard for anyone who calls themselves a gamer to pass up on.

Good post.

Rean

We have a lot of catching up to do to Japan. Here, we just come out with these same, stale ass games. "Oh, unlikable protagonist who I'm supposed to be rooting for but really can't but I'm just missing out on something beyond the surface. Ok, well guess I'll shoot everything in sight. The end." These Japanese games coming out this year (and next) are going to shit all over the western-based games from the highest plateau. MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5. These games all have swag through the fucking roof. The know what they are, and they aren't apologetic about it. And that's the kind of shit I want. I don't care - good, bad, whatever - I want something new, something blue. Fresh experiences that I can't get elsewhere. Metal Gear: What game out there is going to give me a crazy deep storyline with badass characters, sweet tunes, photorealistic visuals AND strap a balloon to a dude and tell him that he's one of the good guys now. Persona: What game is going to let me play as Harry Potter? Final Fantasy: Where else am I going to find a game with as big and fantastical a world with on-the-fly battles that have the potential surpass the systems implemented in some of the best ARPGs the industry has ever seen? Japan's biggest and most iconic titles are getting their grove back and are going to be hard for anyone who calls themselves a gamer to pass up on.
Mainstream games are so boring man. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Minecraft are all stale as fuck, and I've played each of these series for an extensive amount of time. AC2 and CoD4 are some of my favorite games last gen, but the developers are too lazy to come up with new stuff. AC putting dumb tower defense minigames in their games and CoD living off of Multiplayer and Zombies is exactly what I'm talking about. At least Minecraft was something new and fresh and though I don't care much for it anyway. And the funny thing is that people like to complain about Kojima always making Metal Gear, but they'll buy all the other shit up at a moments notice.

And now CODAW is copying off Halo and Titanfall and people are calling that shit new get the fuck outta my face with that.

sexyelder

Mainstream games are so boring man. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Minecraft are all stale as fuck, and I've played each of these series for an extensive amount of time. AC2 and CoD4 are some of my favorite games last gen, but the developers are too lazy to come up with new stuff. AC putting dumb tower defense minigames in their games and CoD living off of Multiplayer and Zombies is exactly what I'm talking about. At least Minecraft was something new and fresh and though I don;t care much for it anyway. And the funny thing is that people like to complain about Kojima always making Metal Gear, but they'll by all the other shit up at a moments notice.

Halo seems to at least try to innovate with each release, MCC was god awful but Halo 5 seems to be more stable and im intrigued by the story.

Good post.

Thanks, bro!
[hoping it wasn't sarcasm intensifies] :lol

Mainstream games are so boring man. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Minecraft are all stale as fuck, and I've played each of these series for an extensive amount of time. AC2 and CoD4 are some of my favorite games last gen, but the developers are too lazy to come up with new stuff. AC putting dumb tower defense minigames in their games and CoD living off of Multiplayer and Zombies is exactly what I'm talking about. At least Minecraft was something new and fresh and though I don;t care much for it anyway. And the funny thing is that people like to complain about Kojima always making Metal Gear, but they'll by all the other shit up at a moments notice.

And now CODAW is copying off Halo with and Titanfall and people are calling that shit new get the fuck outta my face with that.

Man, it's the same shit. All of it. That's why it trips me out. "Too bad Kojima is chained to Metal Gear." OK, so what? If we wasn't making Metal Gear, he'd be cranking out sequel X to whatever series he created that did well. Who gives a shit, too, because the games (IN THE SAME SERIES) are all so different from each other; night and day difference from one game to the next. Like, man, most of the Japanese games I play have something that connects with me. Just because it's different. It's not "FPS with Tweaked Mechanic" or "TPS with Forced Stealth." It's something new, more times than not. Hey, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of shitty Japanese games, I have no doubt. But with that said, they aren't {AAA, marketed in your face, 85+ Metacritic payday bonus, appeal to people who don't play video games} kind of games. Like, just look at The Order review thread. Look at the Destiny review thread. So fucking pathetic. People are whining and crying because the game isn't this way or that way, when they have A) never played the game, and B) never will due to a low Metacritic score. Those are the kinds of people that I feel western studios try to appeal to, rather than who they should look to appeal to - the people who play the games and enjoy them for what the fuck they are.

Oh, also, Halo is dead. ;_;7
:lol

JayEH

Thanks, bro!

Man, it's the same shit. All of it. That's why it trips me out. "Too bad Kojima is chained to Metal Gear." OK, so what? If we wasn't making Metal Gear, he'd be cranking out sequel X to whatever series he created that did well. Who gives a shit, too, because the games (IN THE SAME SERIES) are all so different from each other; night and day difference from one game to the next. Like, man, most of the Japanese games I play have something that connects with me. Just because it's different. It's not "FPS with Tweaked Mechanic" or "TPS with Forced Stealth." It's something new, more times than not. Hey, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of shitty Japanese games, I have no doubt. But with that said, they aren't {AAA, marketed in your face, 85+ Metacritic payday bonus, appeal to people who don't play video games} kind of games. Like, just look at The Order review thread. Look at the Destiny review thread. So fucking pathetic. People are whining and crying because the game isn't this way or that way, when they have A) never played the game, and B) never will due to a low Metacritic score. Those are the kinds of people that I feel western studios try to appeal to, rather than who they should look to appeal to - the people who play the games and enjoy them for what the fuck they are.

Exactly every Metal Gear is UNIQUE. None of them play like the others. That's the difference. Kojima knows he can't get funding for other titles besides so he innovates within his own series.

I want to see another series try to switch to open world in its 5th game.

Halo died after bungie stopped making it,

It died after 3 tbh.

Every Metal Gear is UNIQUE. None of them play like the others. That's the difference. Kojima knows he can't get funding for other titles besides so he innovates within his own series.

I want to see another series try to switch to open world in its 5th game.

Yup. Exactly. Good luck with that shit, because they can't work miracles like Kojima.

sexyelder

It died after 3 tbh.

how-to-draw-chibi-master-chief_1_000000002989_5.jpg

Its just Missing in Action! :'(

Edit: Halo 5 is supposed to be free roam X'<

Rean

Thanks, bro!

Persona 4 and MGS are literally the only games I got emotional with.
The last boss fight in P4 when Reach out to the Truth orchestral came on
I got chills for 30 or 40 seconds. All of the endings in MGS esspecially Act 4 and 5 in MGS4 are seriously some of the best experiences I've had playing games my entire life. There's a reason I put Enclosure on my music list twice, and the finale of 4 is orgasmic if you've played the series start to finish. All of these other games that come out are either shooting people and for crafting shit.

Lernaean

Banned
We have a lot of catching up to do to Japan. Here, we just come out with these same, stale ass games. "Oh, unlikable protagonist who I'm supposed to be rooting for but really can't but I'm just missing out on something beyond the surface. Ok, well guess I'll shoot everything in sight. The end." These Japanese games coming out this year (and next) are going to shit all over the western-based games from the highest plateau. MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5. These games all have swag through the fucking roof. The know what they are, and they aren't apologetic about it. And that's the kind of shit I want. I don't care - good, bad, whatever - I want something new, something blue. Fresh experiences that I can't get elsewhere. Metal Gear: What game out there is going to give me a crazy deep storyline with badass characters, sweet tunes, photorealistic visuals AND strap a balloon to a dude and tell him that he's one of the good guys now. Persona: What game is going to let me play as Harry Potter? Final Fantasy: Where else am I going to find a game with as big and fantastical a world with on-the-fly battles that have the potential to surpass the systems implemented in some of the best ARPGs the industry has ever seen? Japan's biggest and most iconic titles are getting their grove back and are going to be hard for anyone who calls themselves a gamer to pass up on.

Word.

Mainstream games are so boring man. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Minecraft are all stale as fuck, and I've played each of these series for an extensive amount of time. AC2 and CoD4 are some of my favorite games last gen, but the developers are too lazy to come up with new stuff. AC putting dumb tower defense minigames in their games and CoD living off of Multiplayer and Zombies is exactly what I'm talking about. At least Minecraft was something new and fresh and though I don't care much for it anyway. And the funny thing is that people like to complain about Kojima always making Metal Gear, but they'll buy all the other shit up at a moments notice.

And now CODAW is copying off Halo and Titanfall and people are calling that shit new get the fuck outta my face with that.

And word.

I don't even get the argument, that pops its ugly head now and then. The only thing western games have ever accomplished, even the best of them, is pushing the visuals, but they all wish they were as focused and as mechanically sophisticated as Japanese games.

This one is gonna be a very strong year for Japanese games. MonHun4U, MM3D, Bloodborne, P5, DMC4SE, MGSV, XCX, ZeldaU, SFV, potentially FFXV, Scalebound and Deep Down, these are all quality games, with gameplay you can't find in the western games.

Exactly every Metal Gear is UNIQUE. None of them play like the others. That's the difference. Kojima knows he can't get funding for other titles besides so he innovates within his own series.

Been saying that for a long while, but completely gave up because people will simply not listen. Been saying it for many Japanese series, including many Nintendo series, so the argument is shot down simply because of Nintendo bias.
Many Japanese creators innovate in their own series. Aonuma does it, Koizumi does it, Mikami does it, Miyazaki does it, as you said Kojima does it, and funnily Kamiya takes a reverse approach, meaning making new games but borrowing stuff from his earlier games.
It is indeed true that unlike the known western AAA series, Japanese series sequels are not rehashes and always introduce new mechanics.
Gameplay is still king in Japan and that's why i still fanatically play their games.

Edit: Before i got jumped on, when i say western games i mean AAA, ultra hyped, bloated, photo-realistic messes. There are ofc great western games throughout the history of gaming, and unfortunately they usually sell like shit and their devs hardly get any credit.

sexyelder

I feel TPP is a hybrid between western and Japanese, it has the uniqueness and gameplay of a Japanese game with breathtaking visuals of a western.

Lernaean

Banned
I feel TPP is a hybrid between western and Japanese, it has the uniqueness and gameplay of a Japanese game with breathtaking visuals of a western.

Well, yes and no. Yes because that's what it is, and no because the series always pushed the visuals (along with everything else) anyway.

sexyelder

Well, yes and no. Yes because that's what it is, and no because the series always pushed the visuals (along with everything else) anyway.

Well I really meant the Metal Gear series in general, its not held back by The typical Japanese tropes, yes there are a few good looking Japanese games but a lot have outdated graphics and terrible lip sync. A good example is Nintendo they're about 5 years behind graphically.

Dawg

In my opinion, MGS is unique in that sense.

I would describe it as a Western themed franchise envisioned by a batshit insane Japanese developer.

sexyelder

In my opinion, MGS is unique in that sense.

I would describe it as a Western themed franchise envisioned by a batshit insane Japanese developer.

I also love how they can take a gruff generic looking (at least initially) protagonist, and make him one of the most intriguing characters in any medium ive ever witnessed. I play MG because I care about Snakes story.

Lernaean

Banned
Well I really meant the Metal Gear series in general, its not held back by The typical Japanese tropes, yes there are a few good looking Japanese games but a lot have outdated graphics and terrible lip sync. A good example is Nintendo they're about 5 years behind graphically.

That's what i said too, it is typical for MGS games to push the visuals, nothing new here.
And also most Nintendo games are 5 years ahead mechanically compared to most games out there. Each creator has their own strengths, so let's not start this argument.

What is important about the MGS series is that with Kojima on the helm and him being a cinema nerd, he pushed a very cinematic approach to his games. Only in Kojima's case, cinematic does not mean killing the gameplay completely so the game can drive you through a series of events where you have very little control, but instead staging an event in a very movie like approach and letting you take control and go through it.
This led to the creation if the Fox Engine, which is very sophisticated in the field of lighting, shading, lens effects and stuff that make a scene look as filmic as possible.
Kojima is very educated in the field of cinematography and the way GZ and P.T. are set have a very filmic approach, lighting the scene as you'd do in a movie, meaning to highlight things the director wants to present the audience instead of trying to mimic real life and present a mundane shot. The lens effects like focus and DoF etc have a very filmic quality too. It's very obvious what Kojima wants to achieve and it's very easy to see the qualifications the FE was build upon.
Kojima is really pushing his vision of the filmic game, which is, as the name suggests, a game first and foremost, built with filmic qualities in mind and not an interactive movie.

Rean

This is really delayed, but Shadow of the Colossus is also one of the best experiences I've had playing games as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom